Autopsy Autopsy vs Saints - Nadir

Yeah well apparently he was good.

Split the hitouts pretty much, won a bunch of handballs in the contest and took 2 marks.

Goliath.

0 tackles and 8 pressure acts despite being in the contest for the vast majority of the evening.

From an AA standard ruck.

Played like a bloke who knows he's in a rut. I think he's trying to push himself out but who knows. I thought he had more intent last night, but it didn't translate to a lot.

When he was at his best he played like a bloke who knew he could turn the tide of a game and run his opponent into the ground. Who knows if we'll see that mindset ever again.

He had 11 contested possessions and 6 clearances, kicked a goal and gave a Joe the goose over the top to Clarke for another goal. Add hitouts to advantage and that's your points

Ok. That is fair enough then. Just looked at the AFL tables too and he was in the low/mid 80s on their points, which when we play well is around the 7 - 10th ranked player.

This year he is averaging 0.4 contested marks a game. Less than half his career average. We have so few contested marks at the moment and the ruckman should be someone who gives us at least a couple a game. That's my issue with Goldy. He may be one of most effective roving mids on the ground but he is a bloody ruckman.

Still he isn't playing as badly as many of our players.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
Yeah but would he have been if he'd played last night?
If a tree falls....
We have pieces but no cohesion.

Its like we're a car, sometimes we have no petrol, so will fill up only to find out that in the process all the tires went flat. We sort out the tires and someone steals the steering wheel.
Beautifully put
Roses are red
Violets are blue
North Melbourne are s**t
StKilda is too
Even poetry. Quality posting my bf friends. Perhaps wisdom is born out of misery.

It was a treat seeing the team play retro Roos footy, bar holding the ball in the air, in honour of Boomer last night.

Sllllloooooooooooooooooow ball movement, kicking side to side, back and forth across the backline, unwilling to take the Saints on and, if we dared, having only a couple of players able to do so with any sort of efficiency.

Marvellous stuff that!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Tudor is always pegged as the forward and midfield coach. The very place we fall down. Our backline is unreal but our back coach always cops it.

This didn't stop him being very good at other clubs.

You are overlooking the bleeding obvious here mate.

. Cunners got a lot of it but didn't really have an impact. Frustrating when he turns over those one-step kicks.

unsure if it was you, but someone mentioned something a while back on BC and i noticed it clearly tonight... when he takes a mark or gets a free kick, he never ever pushes back quickly off the mark. by the time the ump calls play on, he is only half back... Result: one-step kick.

This didn't stop him being very good at other clubs.

You are overlooking the bleeding obvious here mate.

I wouldn't be replacing Brad Scott with him at this point if that's what you are referring to. If Scott goes Lurkers goes too.

I think the Coach did a magnificent job in keeping it close at the end. % will be vital in our push for the top 4.

The Marketing Dept deserve a payrise. 24000 to a Friday night game as average in 1996-1999 and they have increased it by 2000 people in an underperforming 20 years:thumbsu:

I can't ask anything more of the club really.

GeordieRoo

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United
What a terrible night.

Schoolboy errors in the first - Hansen gifting 2 goals, McDonald another kicking to a 1 on 3, Higgins missing a sitter, Brown missing one he should have kicked, Tarrant's miss I can forgive as he's a defender but he should have been 15m closer. That "50m" was 35 at best. Could easily have been level at quarter time and then who knows how different it may have been. The Saints were panicky as alot is expected from them and it was almost curtains for their season if they'd lost last night.

I thought Brad was absolutely taken to the cleaners by Richardson last night - and this is disappointing as I don't think Richo is much of a coach, he just uses alot of big words so the cretins in the football media buy his BS. Saints always had 2 or 3 free out the back whenever there was a scrap, and set up so well behind the ball that we simply could not manufacture shots on goal - 1 goal in over a half of footy, and then they turned that set up into easy 50m entries. Pathetic by us.

Too many deserve individual criticism.I don't like what I'm seeing from Higgins, playing selfish footy and completely unable to influence a game over 4 quarters. Turner, Garner, Hrovat and Wood...sigh. Brown is showing the strain of having to carry the forward line. Waite is cooked and it looks questionable to have kept him over Petrie. I don't see a captain out there. I also don't see a ruckman worth anything more than Pruess on a rookie contract. Jed Anderson could be the worst player to pull on that jumper since '06 under Laidley when we literally played every player on the list. Pick 15?

The last 2 games have been shambolic. To serve that up in front of our own fans at home games and on free to air tv is a disaster. Given the Richmond performance the poor North turnout did not surprise me, and the 22 players did not do anything to suggest to those who didn't come that they made a mistake.

Having said all that it is only 3 bad games out of 12 - Swans, Tigers, Saints. Every other game we've been good. But they would want to turn it around quickly as the last 2 weeks have been pitiful and this season is slipping away. It may have already. Over to you Brad - there's certainly no leaders in the playing group who are going to help you.

Also, Leigh Fisher just should not umpire St Kilda games. There's 8 other games every week FFS.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When he first came over he fixed the things he was brought in to fix. Since he's been the forward coach I'm not sure whether we've been getting our money's worth.

How could he further improve our forward line based on the current midfield delivery?

Jock McHale himself, couldn't fix this up.

W
How could he further improve our forward line based on the current midfield delivery?

Jock McHale himself, couldn't fix this up.
All the clubs and systems he made his reputation at weren't exactly high-scoring juggernauts. His forte has been (perceived from the outside) defensive structure and accountability. We had a pretty dynamic forward setup under Fruity and while he hasn't ruined it, has he been better than replacement level? Worth moving out of the mids so Drummond can go in there to make way for Brad frickin' Green?

I know the club's supporting him going through the level 4 coaching course. Could be succession planning.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So who are the players that are continually letting us down? Who can be 'excused' due to their youth? Of those who have played a bit this year:

I thought Goldstein and Atley were both pretty good last night, and should be backed in to keep improving.
Tarrant: beyond reproach.
Turner: has been very good up until the last couple of weeks.
Cunnington: too inconsistent, although his best is elite.
Ziebell: too limited, although he gives his all.
Mullet: has improved, but ultimately too limited.
Williams: beyond reproach.
EVW: see Williams.
Thompson: better than Ok.
Hansen: should be dropped.
Hrovat: been mostly Ok, persist.
Wood: often soft. Needs a rocket.
Dumont: been ordinary. Would drop him.
Clarke: can't complain about his output for basically a first year player.
Anderson: no confidence. Back to VFL.
MacMillan: vital. Had an ordinary season, but was improving. Notice how s**t our link up play was without him last night?
Brown: bad night, great season. No issues.
Waite: most likely cooked.
Gibson: still does his job week in week out.
Mountford: a run of games required. Looks like he has something.
Garner: mostly good this year. Persist.
Higgins: good, but desperately needs support in another class user alongside him.
McDonald: mostly very good. Gives a s**t

In short, it tends to be the whole team that is s**t when we are s**t, and in losses this year Williams, EVW, Turner, Brown, Higgins, Gibson, McDonald and either Ziebell or Cunnington have been able to hold their heads up.

Our midfield is simply too bland. Our forward line is OK, our back line is pretty good: we need some young players (especially Wood and Dumont) to pull heads out of arses, and some to just get more consistency. It's always been a matter of team 'synergy' with Scott - we don't have any out and out stars, so unless all 22 players are switched on, 'playing their roles' and working furiously to pressure the opposition and help each other out we tend to get belted and look bloody ordinary. And even if they are switched on we have mental demons and sometimes choke, giving up what should be match winning leads.

Something is awry culturally and with the club's leadership, both on and off-field. Not sure bringing in Kelly and/or Martin fix this. Things have seemed very positive at times this year. They seem bleak now. It all starts and ends in the midfield. The mix must be changed.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Waite, Goldy, Clarke and many others barely lay any tackles or defensive pressure at all.

People banging on that Goldy played well, he offered no physical presence what so ever. 0 tackles lol he was again, lack lustre in comparison to what Pruess may offer

Waite has been putrid for a month in a row now and offers no defensive pressure which is why we have him in

Brown is a great kick and a lead up player but again offers no defensive pressure but it doesn't help that wood is absolutely no where?! What is wrong with that kid

Cunnington is a star. He is hobbling and can't run at all hence why he got 26 ******* handballs. He is always standing still as he cannot run. It's such a shame that we would rather play him like this, because when Ben is good is he elite and can turn the game around on his own boot.

Then we have a coach who doesn't seem to phased and happy to persist with players who consistently * it up week to week?! We are only asking for mediorcirity and it will never change. Drop swallow and LT, bang look at it lift the rest of the team. It's like a broken record and I could go on and on and on

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Why is Lachie suddenly on the outer? Poor game sure but played pretty well for most of the year.

Some of the goals attributed to him are tenuous at best.
Because the only benefit in playing an older defender who is playing pretty well at best is if he isn't making undergraduate errors that lose games? And last night there were plenty - it was awful last night, and if it didn't look like it on tv, put it down to channel 7.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Preseason there were a lot of posters here pushing for us to bottom out this season to get early draft picks, so i thought they would be on here now expressing their delight at how we are going. Personally I wasn't in favour of bottoming out but now that it is happening I am not too concerned. I just hope that now that we have no hope of playing finals we will play some more young kids. As a minimum this week I would like to see Hansen out for Nielsen and Waite out for either Preuss or Daw; Mountford and Clarke definitely stay in and Anderson out for maybe Josh Williams or Swallow.

Back