Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeds best value seems to be at clearances around the ground and initiating or being heavily involved in scoring chains.

As above, I still think he has plenty to offer at the centre bounces, but I'd tend to agree.

When you get real bored do you want to do something similar for the round the ground bounces.

Sounds like a job that has Stage 3 Lockdown written all over it.

It's actually quite rare. This is the 124th VFL/AFL season and it's only happened 95 times that a side has come from 30 or more down at half time to win. Carlton has done it the most (11), the Suns, Giants and University have never done it, Geelong (6), St.Kilda (5) and Melbourne (4) have been in the league longer than us and the Dogs (5) have been in just as long.

As for the times we've lost after leading at half time by 30 or more, it's happened 8 times

40 points. 1999 v Geelong @ MCG. 95 v 55 to 135 v 141
39 points. 2015 v Collingwood @ MCG. 66 v 27 to 95 v 112
38 points. 1941 v Essendon @ Arden St. 67 v 29 to 108 v 145
36 points. 1999 v Sydney @ SCG. 61 v 25 to 70 v 72
35 points. 2001 v Carlton @ MCG. 58 v 23 to 69 v 82
35 points. 2004 v Bulldogs @ Manuka. 91 v 56 to 119 v 120.
35 points. 2013 v Geelong @ Docklands. 75 v 40 to 108 v 112
33 points. 1958 v Richmond @ Arden St. 54 v 21 to 73 v 83
The fact most of us have witnessed 6 of the 8 is not good.

Our late start to the 99 pre season meant Denis had a change in approach to the early rounds. We weren’t fully fit and we attempted to jump teams and we got reigned in both times. Nearly happened a third time against St Kilda up in Sydney. It didn’t, we went on a winning streak and wouldn’t have won the flag in 99 hadn’t we beaten the Saints that night.

Surprised this game isn't spoken about more on here. Everyone remember's Swanny bodying JMac late in the game but this was up there with the Adelaide 2013 game as a complete a capitulation we've had under Scott.
I actually broke a seat at the ‘G in the last quarter of the same game. I was frantically checking to see whether anybody had noticed, in case I got arrested. That game was so frustrating. From memory, we were backing up after a frustrating loss to Freo as well - where we’d gotten run down as well.

Edit: Actually, Freo had flogged us the week before. Interestingly enough, it turned out to be Brad’s most successful year in the end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crocker was coaching that day against Collingwood.

We had beaten West Coast the week before in Hobart and Brad was watching from the confines of his couch after back surgery.
Apparently this loss allowed him to see what changes he needed to make to the team yet we still went up the Gold Coast and got belted🤦🏻‍♂️
He introduced Turner and Garner back into the side off the back of that for more forward pressure and we hit September in top form.

Brad was a terrible coach when you look at that 2014-16 team and how it underachieved, I mean the fickle nature and mental ethos of the side was ****ed.

The fact most of us have witnessed 6 of the 8 is not good.

Our late start to the 99 pre season meant Denis had a change in approach to the early rounds. We weren’t fully fit and we attempted to jump teams and we got reigned in both times. Nearly happened a third time against St Kilda up in Sydney. It didn’t, we went on a winning streak and wouldn’t have won the flag in 99 hadn’t we beaten the Saints that night.
Yes I had a feeling losing was more common than the comeback wins - so many of those in recent history.

I assume there were bigger margins within games we've come back from, but historically they didn't track that, unless reported on at the time.

Is there a record for longest running autopsy thread?
Afltables' score progression data only starts in 2001, unfortunately. So anything of note is also etched into the memories of people here. You’re right though, notable comebacks would have been reported on.

Might be a good project to spend some of this downtime on Trove.

Surprised this game isn't spoken about more on here. Everyone remember's Swanny bodying JMac late in the game but this was up there with the Adelaide 2013 game as a complete a capitulation we've had under Scott.

Essendon last year was as excruciating as any of them.

The Jmac contest would have been so hilarious had he not been a North player.

Crocker was coaching that day against Collingwood.

We had beaten West Coast the week before in Hobart and Brad was watching from the confines of his couch after back surgery.
Apparently this loss allowed him to see what changes he needed to make to the team yet we still went up the Gold Coast and got belted🤦🏻‍♂️
He introduced Turner and Garner back into the side off the back of that for more forward pressure and we hit September in top form.

Brad was a terrible coach when you look at that 2014-16 team and how it underachieved, I mean the fickle nature and mental ethos of the side was f’ed.

Not having Wells in 2015 was the killer.

Well if anyone wants to relive Rd2 2013, the Hun has a rundown of the game today.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
That game has a bizarre stat line. Tackles, contested possessions and uncontested possessions are all equal. We had 18 more hit outs, 15 more clearances, 59 more kicks and 50 more marks. Yet the Cats had 30 more inside 50s. Did we have a game plan in which we purposefully conceded forward entries? That's starting to ring a bell now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that it shows there is no conspiracy. But it also shows a high level of incompetence and inconsistency, which is just as bad.

A conspiracy is worse than incompetence.

The Pittard ‘trip’ was a big miss too.

But that holding the ball on half back to Jones they missed was a shocker too.

Missed both ways.

I don’t think we get a great run for a few reasons. But I think every supporters for every club thinks the same thing.

A conspiracy is worse than incompetence.

The Pittard ‘trip’ was a big miss too.

But that holding the ball on half back to Jones they missed was a shocker too.

Missed both ways.

I don’t think we get a great run for a few reasons. But I think every supporters for every club thinks the same thing.

Watched the first half again.
Jeez - Jmac and Dumont were good when others were down to keep us in it.

Overall, we weren’t as bad as I felt we were when I watched it first time. We had some good patches, but weren’t clean and didn’t take chances.

Still, the Saints were good first half. Have to give them that. They didn’t take their chances though. Butler not kicking the distance... twice!, the Atley HTB miss, Kent, Membrey. They left the door open...

Then they crumbled and we took our chances. And * me it is great to watch again!

Did anyone pick up what Taz said to the umpire (muffled, but mic gets it) after King got his 2nd ‘free kick’ and goal?

I swear I heard say something like ‘can I get a lemon, lime and bitters with that too?’

Or something like that...
Not sure but I defs told him to “go * your self you blind campaigner where did you pull that from”

Did anyone pick up what Taz said to the umpire (muffled, but mic gets it) after King got his 2nd ‘free kick’ and goal?

I swear I heard say something like ‘can I get a lemon, lime and bitters with that too?’

Or something like that...

Yeah I wondered what that was about.

Speaking of bad losses what year was it that Port overran us from 5 or 6 goals down with about 5 minutes left in the last QTR?

I sent my memberships back to the club after that game.

Was on a very long one day Darwin-Kakadu-Darwin coach trip that day.

Coach pulled up in some little town for a pot 'n parma (or whatever the local vernacular was).

To my pleasant surprise an outside monitor had the game on as I walked in to order and pitstop - we were about 35 points up fairly late in the game. Looked forward to sitting down for a relaxing feed and drink to enjoy the last triumphant stanza with the pressure of a possible loss lifted.

The absolute horror that followed..

The last leg of that tour took in some beautiful sights and stops as the NT sun set. I took none of them in thanks to the livid filthy mood that now enveloped me.

Was on a very long one day Darwin-Kakadu-Darwin coach trip that day.

Coach pulled up in some little town for a pot 'n parma (or whatever the local vernacular was).

To my pleasant surprise an outside monitor had the game on as I walked in to order and pitstop - we were about 35 points up fairly late in the game. Looked forward to sitting down for a relaxing feed and drink to enjoy the last triumphant stanza with the pressure of a possible loss lifted.

The absolute horror that followed..

The last leg of that tour took in some beautiful sights and stops as the NT sun set. I took none of them in thanks to the livid filthy mood that now enveloped me.

Jay Schulz won what was know as ‘The Perrie’ on that day.

Then Adelaide 2013 happened....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back