Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda

Roobound

Club Legend
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Aug 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This is the best rendition ever. I've watched it about 8 times....my takeaways from the song...
Loved....The clapping it just made the boys more involved with it
Loved....Walker rushing to get his jumper on and get amongst it in the middle as the song started
Loved....Polec spraying the boys in the middle with what l assume was hand sanitiser at the start of the song

I disagree that they couldn't have tried harder....Take a close look at the tackle Cunners lays on Steele in the goal square with 50 seconds on the clock....hahaha sweet times

View attachment 847418

Thanks for the pic. I mentioned this last week... Massive free that was missed and would have sunk us.
Umpire conspiracy theorists take note.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The following stat is brought to you by Coronavirus Lockdown Cabin Fever Enterprises....

Was interested to see if our second half improvement coincided with any kind of significant change to the Mid centre square set ups. So with a chunk of spare time now suddenly at my disposal, I trawled through the replay to check it out.

Turns out we didn't do much differently in terms of personnel in the second half. Couple of tweaks and "small fixes". TT got a little more time in there, and Hall got used on a couple of occasions (Zurhaar, too), but probably the most interesting and significant observation I made was that Jed hardly attended a centre bounce in the second half. Make of that what you will.

Foxtel inexplicably omitted the first bounce of the game from the replay, but here's the totals (on centre bounces attended) for the remaining 18 centre bounces....

Cunners - 17/18
Jy - 11/18
Higgo - 11/18
Jed - 6/18
TT - 6/18
Hall - 2/18
Zurhaar - 1/18

Other stuff...

- The Dumont & Polec combo started on the Wing(s) on 14/18 occasions. (Ahern - 2/18, Hall - 2/18)
- Goldy won the centre hit-out 10/18 times.
- We won the centre square clearance 10/18 times. (Not necessarily the same times as above. Goldy winning the tap + us winning the clearance happened on only 6 occasions.)
- First half centre square clearances won - 4/9
- Second half centre square clearances won - 6/9

Cheers, all. Stay tuned for more stats as the cabin fever intensifies.
Looking forward to where this game dissection to take us.

Next what was the most successful centre square combo?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That Sydney 1991 game is bizarre. We kept them to 14pts in the 2nd half after 120 in the 1st half, while we basically maintained our scoring rate.

I was there. Bizarre match.

Thanks for the pic. I mentioned this last week... Massive free that was missed and would have sunk us.
Umpire conspiracy theorists take note.

Never attribute to malice...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So was I. We were coming off 3 70pt thrashing in a row. We just could not stop teams scoring. Then all of a sudden it turned. 14pts in a half.

Then we got on a roll.

It's a long time ago now, but Peter German's influence has still left an impression upon my memories of the game.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
So was I. We were coming off 3 70pt thrashing in a row. We just could not stop teams scoring. Then all of a sudden it turned. 14pts in a half.

Then we got on a roll.

Yeah I was there too. It was so weird.

1991 was a high scoring season and after finishing 1990 well, and making the pre-season Grand Final again, there was plenty of hype around us. But we were terrible in the first month of the year. We beat the Bears in Round 1 (no big deal), and then lost to Essendon, West Coast and Melbourne by 73, 72 and 70. We conceded 71 goals in those three games and then another 19 to half time against the Swans. The Swans win was the first of 6 straight wins, but the lowest score we conceded in that time was 97. Every game was a shoot out. From the Bears game on we played 15 straight games where we conceded at least 14 goals. Across the season we let in 20 goals 7 times, and 100 points 16 times.

As a result, despite winning 12 games our % was only 91, and when we lost, we lost big. Of the 10 losses, 7 were by 50+. Of the wins, only this Sydney game was by 50+. With 3 games to go we were inside the six, in 5th with a game in hand. Then we lost to Fitzroy who'd only won 1 game up to then by conceding 22 goals and losing by a point. We had Geelong and the Crows in Adelaide after that, got hammered and finished 8th.

The following stat is brought to you by Coronavirus Lockdown Cabin Fever Enterprises....

Was interested to see if our second half improvement coincided with any kind of significant change to the Mid centre square set ups. So with a chunk of spare time now suddenly at my disposal, I trawled through the replay to check it out.

Turns out we didn't do much differently in terms of personnel in the second half. Couple of tweaks and "small fixes". TT got a little more time in there, and Hall got used on a couple of occasions (Zurhaar, too), but probably the most interesting and significant observation I made was that Jed hardly attended a centre bounce in the second half. Make of that what you will.

Foxtel inexplicably omitted the first bounce of the game from the replay, but here's the totals (on centre bounces attended) for the remaining 18 centre bounces....

Cunners - 17/18
Jy - 11/18
Higgo - 11/18
Jed - 6/18
TT - 6/18
Hall - 2/18
Zurhaar - 1/18

Other stuff...

- The Dumont & Polec combo started on the Wing(s) on 14/18 occasions. (Ahern - 2/18, Hall - 2/18)
- Goldy won the centre hit-out 10/18 times.
- We won the centre square clearance 10/18 times. (Not necessarily the same times as above. Goldy winning the tap + us winning the clearance happened on only 6 occasions.)
- First half centre square clearances won - 4/9
- Second half centre square clearances won - 6/9

Cheers, all. Stay tuned for more stats as the cabin fever intensifies.

Jeds best value seems to be at clearances around the ground and initiating or being heavily involved in scoring chains. Our pressure round the ground was right off in the first half too.

I think really it was just down to our typical first round blues, and kudos to Scamper for stopping them. Might have been lucky theSaints kicked poorly too but that's cost us games in the past so I'll take that.

When you get real bored do you want to do something similar for the round the ground bounces.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I find it pretty amazing how few times we've overcome a 5 goal half time deficit... Can u work out how many times we've lost after leading by 5 goals at the main break?

It's actually quite rare. This is the 124th VFL/AFL season and it's only happened 95 times that a side has come from 30 or more down at half time to win. Carlton has done it the most (11), the Suns, Giants and University have never done it, Geelong (6), St.Kilda (5) and Melbourne (4) have been in the league longer than us and the Dogs (5) have been in just as long.

As for the times we've lost after leading at half time by 30 or more, it's happened 8 times

40 points. 1999 v Geelong @ MCG. 95 v 55 to 135 v 141
39 points. 2015 v Collingwood @ MCG. 66 v 27 to 95 v 112
38 points. 1941 v Essendon @ Arden St. 67 v 29 to 108 v 145
36 points. 1999 v Sydney @ SCG. 61 v 25 to 70 v 72
35 points. 2001 v Carlton @ MCG. 58 v 23 to 69 v 82
35 points. 2004 v Bulldogs @ Manuka. 91 v 56 to 119 v 120.
35 points. 2013 v Geelong @ Docklands. 75 v 40 to 108 v 112
33 points. 1958 v Richmond @ Arden St. 54 v 21 to 73 v 83

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's actually quite rare. This is the 124th VFL/AFL season and it's only happened 95 times that a side has come from 30 or more down at half time to win. Carlton has done it the most (11), the Suns, Giants and University have never done it, Geelong (6), St.Kilda (5) and Melbourne (4) have been in the league longer than us and the Dogs (5) have been in just as long.

As for the times we've lost after leading at half time by 30 or more, it's happened 8 times

Surprised this game isn't spoken about more on here. Everyone remember's Swanny bodying JMac late in the game but this was up there with the Adelaide 2013 game as a complete a capitulation we've had under Scott.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont

I remember that Collingwood game. I was kicking the seat in front of me during that 3rd quarter. When we hit the front again in the last quarter, it started pissing down rain, and all of sudden we couldn’t hold sitters, yet they could take pack marks. I joked to my mate after the game that Eddie turned the sprinklers on.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
No, no, no. That loss was completely down to Mrs. H. First game she ever attended. Hat, scarf, she wore the works.

Taken her to 5 games since....all losses.

Surprisingly enough l have never taken her again.

Wasn't this because they left the roof open and it started to rain?

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

I assume there were bigger margins within games we've come back from, but historically they didn't track that, unless reported on at the time.

Is there a record for longest running autopsy thread?

I remember that Collingwood game. I was kicking the seat in front of me during that 3rd quarter. When we hit the front again in the last quarter, it started pissing down rain, and all of sudden we couldn’t hold sitters, yet they could take pack marks. I joked to my mate after the game that Eddie turned the sprinklers on.

I actually broke a seat at the ‘G in the last quarter of the same game. I was frantically checking to see whether anybody had noticed, in case I got arrested. That game was so frustrating. From memory, we were backing up after a frustrating loss to Freo as well - where we’d gotten run down as well.

Edit: Actually, Freo had flogged us the week before. Interestingly enough, it turned out to be Brad’s most successful year in the end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
I actually broke a seat at the ‘G in the last quarter of the same game. I was frantically checking to see whether anybody had noticed, in case I got arrested. That game was so frustrating. From memory, we were backing up after a frustrating loss to Freo as well - where we’d gotten run down as well.

Edit: Actually, Freo had flogged us the week before. Interestingly enough, it turned out to be Brad’s most successful year in the end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was actually sobbing on the phone to my dad at three quarter time while I was in the tunnel, that’s how sad I was.

Looking forward to where this game dissection to take us.

Next what was the most successful centre square combo?

Kind of difficult to come up with anything too meaningful given the exceptionally small samples sizes we're working with. Nevertheless...

The combo that was used the most was Cunners-Higgo-Jy, and by a considerable margin. They were also tied for the most successful combo along with Cunners-Jy-TT. However, the latter was a combo that only appeared a couple of times. Given the much larger sample size involved with the former group (Cunners-Higgo-Jy), that was the combo that you could get a much better read on. In terms of percentages, they went at 50%.

Wrt individual players, Hally had the best strike rate (of centre bounce appearances to clearances won). He went two for two, and was involved both times in winning the clearance. But again, it's an incredibly small sample size. Of the players who were present at the centre bounces half a dozen or more times, Jy had the best strike rate with 73%.

If I was trying to draw conclusions based solely on the stats and observations made from this game alone - (which isn't something I would advocate obviously, but will run with it for the purposes of this exercise) - I'd be predominantly favouring a set up that includes Cunners and Jy and a classy outside type (Higgo, Hall, TT). Seems to provide the best dynamic and range of useful attributes (along with a superior success rate). That of course is in no way a knock on Jed or any of the other Midfield prospects, who have valuable assets to bring to the centre bounce table, too. Jed is a great centre square defensive option and a definite plus when Cunners isn't in there.

And LDU and Bonar are in the mix also....Dumont can (and does) start in the square....Zurhaar chimes in with the odd centre square cameo....and it starts to present as a pretty decent mix on the face of it. Selection table shenanigans notwithstanding, there's a number of rotation options and a good balance of skill, pace, application, and grunt. With a slightly different look in the square these days, it's an area of the game that I'd love to see us begin to assert a little more authority.

Back