Autopsy Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Understandable histrionics aside, can we, at least, appreciate the fact that one of our young players, at a crucial stage of the game:-

(1) Was in 1/1 contest with ball bouncing awkwardly towards our defensive end… towards open goal…
(2) He wins 1/1 contest….
(3) He wins a free…
(4) He draws a 50 metre penalty.
(5) He sees our most experienced player in space 20 metres ahead of him and tries to pass to him.

The Swans defender made the correct choice to charge forward instead of back to cover the North player who was free inside 50. If Goldy had marked, we were a huge chance to score, as the other player was now wide open well inside 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was a great game to see in person, it’s a bit of a weird footy crowd to be honest. Outside the scarf you wonder if Swans supporters are going to the footy or the ballet.

Ziebell created so much presence up forward, he made Swans defenders nervous all day.

The Swans worked to isolate less experienced defenders. They really put Atu in some tough positions. Sure, he made a mistake but he was under a lot of pressure leading up to that so it wasn’t surprising. End of the day, experience matters in close situations.

Watching JHF, the way he carries himself, the effort to brings, and composure. Don’t want to get ahead of things but it honestly feels like we are seeing the next Wayne Carey in terms of dominance on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, they spent the first three quarters ignoring the game and chatting away amongst themselves.

Only in the last when they realised it was close did they start paying attention.

I got up to leave after the Heeney goal and copped various mouthfuls. Complete ****wits.

Yep, they spent the first three quarters ignoring the game and chatting away amongst themselves.

Only in the last when they realised it was close did they start paying attention.

I got up to leave after the Heeney goal and copped various mouthfuls. Complete ****wits.
Hey Desie and the anvil. Since you 2 were actually there what did our forward line look like when Atu passed to Goldy? You couldn't see it on the TV at all. I'm assuming given the stage of the game and Sydney being the well drilled side they are they had flooded back and that made a long kick a bomb and hope?
Given the swans intercepted the attempted pass the hindsight heroes scream that it was a terrible decision that means atu should be banished to Siberia for the ret of his days.
Just maybe though "lowering the eyes" and hitting up Goldy who was close to the 50 was the best decision at the time.
Puts the ball in the hands of one of our most experienced players hands to deliver it inside 50 and he is also in a position to get a deeper entry if a bomb was needed.

From the very start too with that tackle and the goal.

It was a top game and he showed alot of us he still has it.

He set the tone and capitalised when he worked to the opportunity to.

Yesterday was an absolute captains game.

The Simpkin "trip" in the forward line broke us - it was clearly not there on the replay even though the commentators danced around exactly that point. Swans were gifted a goal. It was s**t both ways though. There were at least 3-4 tackles that slipped low and arguably could have been trips before that (for both teams) that were let go before the non existent one was called. A very poorly umpired game overall.
speaking of simpkin, every time he was held without the ball ad nausium comment from derwayne stating he was playing for the free.

We won't every week as we develop but bringing it next week on Good Friday is non-negotiable. That will prove we're making progress and this wasn't just a one off.

The dogs will be up for the fight so if we’re not we’ll be f***ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the full reply…..umpiring all over the joint in first 3 Q’s, but faaaaarrrrkk me did we get dicked in that last Q.
Was always gonna happen. Turned towards the end of the 3rd and then got worse from there.

Hey Desie and the anvil. Since you 2 were actually there what did our forward line look like when Atu passed to Goldy? You couldn't see it on the TV at all. I'm assuming given the stage of the game and Sydney being the well drilled side they are they had flooded back and that made a long kick a bomb and hope?
Given the swans intercepted the attempted pass the hindsight heroes scream that it was a terrible decision that means atu should be banished to Siberia for the ret of his days.
Just maybe though "lowering the eyes" and hitting up Goldy who was close to the 50 was the best decision at the time.
Puts the ball in the hands of one of our most experienced players hands to deliver it inside 50 and he is also in a position to get a deeper entry if a bomb was needed.

I see your point with the short kick considering all of us armchair warriors couldn’t actually see what was on offer in the forward line.

I guess I am more critical of how slow he ran forward when awarded the 50 rather than charge forward and catch them off guard or draw the 100 if the player encroached into the protected area?

The longer he took the more they were going to flood back putting more pressure on his kick.

Also , we throw in TT in yesterdays side & we win the game easily by 3-4 goals as we really deserved to.
I reckon the Colas are feeling like they got out of jail big time yesterday.

Wonder if Carey or some ex-Swans hero will pot them for singing the theme song like they had won the GF.

They just got up against a team that can only beat a WAFL side which must mean Collingwood are sh*t and just too focused on getting the Daicos brothers SuperCoach stats.

I was at the opposite end of the ground so my view probably wasn’t different from the tv on that incident.

But the lead up of pressure on Atu’s position in the swans backline was significant as they kept trying to isolate him.

On the Goldy thing, he probably shouldn’t have called for it, young players will always go to the voice of the experienced players.

Off the ball, I didn’t mind Atu’s work.

It was pretty congested, they’d all flooded back deep as you can imagine. I was a bit disappointed Atu didn’t take on the man on the mark, he had the momentum from the 50 while they were backpedaling.

Regardless, it still would have been a lottery at best.

The final result was a little disappointing but honestly neither here nor there. I’d hope coaches, players and supporters view the game‘s positives and opportunities to improve exactly the same way.

So many positives, I’ll just highlight the boldness of selection, positioning and play that delivered the best performance since the highs of late last year. Play with that energy and bravery and intensity and we can all enjoy the ride, regardless of results or mistakes. To me that was the let down of the play at the end - it seemed timid - but I also felt that a long kick into a crowded 50 was a lottery at best so the game didn’t rest on it.

I was happy and proud, go to whoa. Opposite of last week in every way.

Also a late positive in the day was the Eagles winning, which I think removes some of the “anyone could beat them” narrative.
Scratch that last part - my mother in law tells me that Eagles is now a much better side than the one North beat, plus obviously they lift to play Collingwood (as every team apparently does).

speaking of simpkin, every time he was held without the ball ad nausium comment from derwayne stating he was playing for the free.
And he was barracking for Swans frees at every opportunity. campaigner.

Biggest positive to take is that Horne Francis is a genuine upcoming superstar of the game, you can already see it. Love the kid

Hear ya although HF was expected to be a star, for mine it was the return of " The Pres". Flynn is a gun had 2 knee reco's but has no fear, not all who return are like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back