Autopsy Autopsy vs WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Ligma just called, stop stealing her bit.
Thank you, so many people want to be me and I’m just sick of it🙄

I turn heads meeting people and now this 🤪 CANNOT CATCH A BREAK!

Jz currently 7th in the comp for intercepts. Won't be dropped this week and probably not for a while
He shouldn't be dropped anyway, he just shouldn't be continually played out of position. After 18 months I still don't understand why he is being played as a defender when his best position is as a forward. His field kicking isn't great but his goal kicking isn't bad and he competes in the air. He was doing that, and then for whatever reason they changed it up. With McKay, Walker and Corr down there, there shouldn't be a need for Ziebell.

He shouldn't be dropped anyway, he just shouldn't be continually played out of position. After 18 months I still don't understand why he is being played as a defender when his best position is as a forward. His field kicking isn't great but his goal kicking isn't bad and he competes in the air. He was doing that, and then for whatever reason they changed it up. With McKay, Walker and Corr down there, there shouldn't be a need for Ziebell.
He will be obsolete soon enough, but the guy intercepts. A lot. Last year too. That's why. And given we have a midfield with no depth, and a bloody young side someone has to sit in the hole. And it's not McKay Walker and corr to push him out, it will be Lmac and Bonar

Jz currently 7th in the comp for intercepts. Won't be dropped this week and probably not for a while
Supply helps - he certainly gets plenty of chances to intercept. To my eye his defensive craft hasn't exactly improved over the off season. He is what he is - for mine it should be him or Lmac in that role, not both as the combination isn't stronger than one of them and a more attacking player.

Obviously, senior depth and developmental realities mean we'll probably have this situation for a while still but I would like to think we're closer to a long term solution by end of year so next year can be a true transition. I want to see 2023 a genuine setting of the team structure as we see it long term.

Interesting.

Found it interesting that Ziebell pipped Hall in the B&F but felt (haven't rechecked) that Hall amassed a lot more AFLCA votes.

Ziebell has never been considered a top-tier player in any position. Which is fine, not everyone can but he certainly doesn't have a high standing in the game as a skilful player. That affects the ability to harvest votes.

As for intercepts, he gets a lot of them from poor kicks inside 50. Which is fine, but I don't think you can rank that in the same way that a Lever or McGovern intercepts. He also works off his player a lot so kind of follows the ball down, which is a good skill and one he has as he has always been decent footballer. I just don't think coaches care if he does.

Not really related to anything in particular, but I had seats behind the interchange on the weekend. View wasn’t amazing on the far side of the ground but gee it was interesting seeing all the activity down on the bench. Saw Lukey Mac visibly cringe at least once as he was stuck on the pine and Liam Ryan got off for an uncontested mark. Was surprisingly interesting theatre.

I find it fascinating how Ziebell despite his captaincy status never scores a coaches vote.

It's like Noble praises him to his face then mutters "****ing ball butcher" as he walks off.

Did come third in the syd last year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wins have been too few and far between these past two and a half years to pick and choose which ones to get excited about. There's a decent chance we go on to lose our next 8-10 games, so I won't be taking any win for granted.

There are a few players who can put their hand up and say that was their best or near the best that they've produced for us.

Greenwood, Horne-Francis and Corr are in that category as newcomers, but there are a few other names you can add to that list as well. Larkey was obviously huge. For our young guys, I thought Powell, Mahony, Scott, Taylor, and Young had some of their most impactful games, and even Turner had a pretty good showing when they moved him up forward. 2 goals 2 behinds is his best result on the scoreboard since round 2 2017 believe it or not.

FWIW, Adam Simpson made a point of saying Declan Mountford was given a job to run with Simpkin all day.

Part of Jy's learning and increased responsibilities will be to have someone tag him and still manage to influence the game.

I just love watching Greenwood. Has been at the club 5 min and acts like he has been there for years. He is all in and I love it!

They’re not wrong, but it does seem a bit strange to celebrate how it’s the new arrivals showing the real commitment
You’re reading too much into it champ, they are just highlighting how good our pickups are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back