Autopsy Autopsy vs Western Bulldogs - Good Friday Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

OK - I'm a little cooler now Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. I reckon Dogs outdo the Cats for cheating for frees. Something has to be done about the cheats who throw themselves about as soon as there is the lightest touch. Our game will end up like soccer if we allow this to continue.
  2. We were competitive I suppose for 3 of the quarters. Take away our first quarter debacle and we lose by 23 points - not unrealistic given doggies current position compared to ours.
  3. Zuurhar and Thomas are big outs for us - add to that Cunners and I reckon our performance was better than I first thought.
  4. I am not sold on X - I know that upsets some on here but still not convinced especially when we are wasting Goldy.
  5. Curtis Taylor keeps improving - keep it up - I have strong faith in him.
  6. Eddie Ford showed a bit - enough to have confidence in his future.
  7. Watched a bit of the twos - Comben, Curtis looked excellent.
  8. Our backline is a massive issue. Lacks quality and size - not sure if there is any quick fixes.
I'm a little more relaxed today, but not happy.
Have to agree with this.

On the topic of cheating for frees, which the dogs have done with ultimate success for several years, at least there was a call out yesterday naming weightman as a diver. I'm betting he's been like that since he was a young kid. Nobody doubts his skills or even his tenacity, but touch him and the head and arms go back like he was shot from behind by a howitzer. He could be a respected player if he didn't do that kind of thing. Another thing that is really apparent with the dogs is that they hold the ball very loosly when they get a free or take a mark so that any slight contact is apt to make the ball fall free so they might claim a 50. It didn't come off with too much success yesterday but it seemed to be part of the bevo bag of tricks to cheat for advantage.

Geelong and WCE are equally adept at the cheating and Sydney have a few as well. In my opinion, the MRC should review every match and issue fines for first offence and an automatic one week suspension for second and every subsequent offence. Penalties double if players continue the practice within three matches of recieving a fine or suspension.

Thanks to Rick18 :

“Fun fact, even if it’s a completely arbitrary number: in 2021, North played 11 games against eventual finalists and only managed five goals in a quarter on four occasions.

They’ve done it (against likely finalists) in back to back weeks this year. Small steps, baby steps, but steps nonetheless.”

Great review as always Round 5 v Western Bulldogs: Groundhog Day - The Shinboner

You are correct however as you point out Curtis is ready and whilst I reckon we'd like an extra 2-3 weeks into Chom the reality is that he is fit, playing reasonably good football and is a definite need in the 1's. Whilst he's had a few injuries he's not 18. I lean towards sooner rather than later but will trust them to have an eye on the future. Backline is an issue, ideally some of the guys we got last year would have been in our system a year or so earlier but that's not the case. Can only hope better structure up forward - and hence forward / mid pressure - makes it easier to defend and buys them some time.

I reckon Comben is going to force a pretty uncomfortable conversation about our talls.

You are correct however as you point out Curtis is ready and whilst I reckon we'd like an extra 2-3 weeks into Chom the reality is that he is fit, playing reasonably good football and is a definite need in the 1's. Whilst he's had a few injuries he's not 18. I lean towards sooner rather than later but will trust them to have an eye on the future. Backline is an issue, ideally some of the guys we got last year would have been in our system a year or so earlier but that's not the case. Can only hope better structure up forward - and hence forward / mid pressure - makes it easier to defend and buys them some time.
Agree completely with Chom, he's good to go and I'd be ok with dropping goldy to get him in. Meant more the goater, bergman, lazzaro and to a lesser extent phillips, who would benefit from stringing together consistent games in 2s footy before being thrown into the horror movie that is our 1s.

I reckon Comben is going to force a pretty uncomfortable conversation about our talls.
His best bet is to turn himself into a ruckman.

That way, he’ll be a shoe-in for the second KPF spot.

See everyone's happy.

I prey you lads keep Good Friday for what it's worth. You've clearly done the hard yards and deserve to keep it. Whether it's always against us or we share it with the St Kildas of the world, I'm not so phased on.
I want it to be against the Dogs

Agree completely with Chom, he's good to go and I'd be ok with dropping goldy to get him in. Meant more the goater, bergman, lazzaro and to a lesser extent phillips, who would benefit from stringing together consistent games in 2s footy before being thrown into the horror movie that is our 1s.
Yeah same and I got your point. They're just too raw, Bergman looked really positive though. If we went with a single ruck and Chom there is an argument IMO that we could take a punt of a type like him and not be too tall and inexperienced... perhaps it's one step at a time though.

His best bet is to turn himself into a ruckman.

That way, he’ll be a shoe-in for the second KPF spot.

Slightly tongue in cheek I know but this is my point when I say that I reckon the club should s**t or get off the toiler with the whole Xerri / Goldy thing. I have zero doubt that he would be a greater forward threat than either of those blokes. So instead of hiding a ruckman in the forward line let's get serious.

Why would they start putting players in their natural positions now? It makes no sense!

I am being facecious by the way.
It was fine as a theory in pre season, times change. I think if we had a relatively mature squad that we had in 2019 the 2 ruck theory might have been workable but we are just making it way too hard for a young group that already struggles with where and how much to run by putting in extra height. Chom could outrun half our mids based on what I've seen and when he's tired he's still 6.5 ft tall and 100kgs.

I don't expect a bunch more kids to come into this squad and us to magically start winning every game, but I do want to see us pay respect to a balanced team structure where we have the right type of players in the 2's. We can't wish a 22+ KPD into existence, but that shouldn't stop us playing blokes like Curtis or Comben when ready. Probably our issue with going so midfield heavy is that they are all building running power, it would be easier to cover these issues with an extra couple of years into Phillips, JHF, Powell, LDU etc

Carey always appears with the cheap dig after every loss.

Is it because the media link on an association only?

Makes me sick.

Hope he’s not walking up on stage at the Sunday after the next Flag

Well my apologies

I thought I would watch the Greatest Non Comeback in recent history and fast forwarded it to the last 5 minutes of the 1st quarter

That whole article was someone lifting direct comments from the 7/Fox feed from Carey and everyone else quoted in the article

Yes, in 2022 that is what we all journalism

That's thekey difference for us and it will only come with time and practise. Hopefully within 15 months we'll be at the point where we don't pause to find an option but instead get the ball and move to kick to spots with faith that someone will be there to get the ball.

When SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay talks about the Bulldogs having a settled coach and system for nearly a decade this is what he means.

The difference between being switched on to that set up and still looking for a player somewhere to kick to is alot of the difference yesterday wrt uncontested possessions. Its just gonna take time.
I do agree with that, but there were times when switching the ball as players move across the ground 1 or 2 were able to get a break on their opponent (whole point of the switch) and the option was there but not taken - that is confidence in foot skills.

Realistically, there needs to be an AFL Integrity Comission.

As you say (and I have as well), the rules have loopholes you can drive a bus through and beyond that, the interpretations change from year to year, week to week, match to match and even from umpire to umpire. Almost every decision made could be reversed and the AFL could justify it.
You sound like you don’t have confidence in Bard Bloody Scott to get things right. 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the main points have been stated already so here’s just a few observations:
Watching the game live yesterday I noticed JHF does a really quick look around as soon as he takes possession. Seems so basic that it shouldn’t stand out but … yeah, I wish his more of his teammates had such a habit.
Weightman is an easy player to dislike but he’d walk into our team. Very much hoping that Paul Curtis can become the clever small-mid sized forward that we desperately need. Mahoney is a decent player with good footy smarts but no real weapons and Turner is …. getting a game.
The dogs seemed to get goal side on their opponents too easily yesterday from a long kick to a pack close to goal. It seemed like too many North players were drawn to the contest leaving space for the dogs to run into when the ball got over the back. I’d have to watch the replay to have a proper look at this but I just can’t be arsed.

I do agree with that, but there were times when switching the ball as players move across the ground 1 or 2 were able to get a break on their opponent (whole point of the switch) and the option was there but not taken - that is confidence in foot skills.
I think skills will improve with familiarity with the game plan and less overall pressure but I also think the players with skills to do that stuff will be the ones we keep.

Is it worth making Goldie captain for the rest of the season? Takes pressure off ziebull makes Goldie more accountable and the younger players and older players might actually listen to what he’s got to say? Also nice way to set the scene for his and jacks retirement at the end of the season and a handover to Simpkin or Cunners?

If a draftee is good enough to play, play him. If a mature player is poor enough to drop, drop him.

At the moment we have poor HB's, no 2nd KP forward and no crumbing forward. We also have 3KP defenders who are not super athletic. We need the hybrid 3rd.

I am not limiting any player regardless of age because our team over the past 20 years has proven no mater what age you are you can be crappy.

Is it worth making Goldie captain for the rest of the season? Takes pressure off ziebull makes Goldie more accountable and the younger players and older players might actually listen to what he’s got to say? Also nice way to set the scene for his and jacks retirement at the end of the season and a handover to Simpkin or Cunners?
Mate. Come on. He shouldn't need to be Captain to find the ball more than 4 times a game. It's not a retirement party - he needs to demand respect from the team. If he is allowing being pushed into the forward line for "development" to be the excuse for 4 touches a game then he is the last thing we need from a Captain.

Mate. Come on. He shouldn't need to be Captain to find the ball more than 4 times a game. It's not a retirement party - he needs to demand respect from the team. If he is allowing being pushed into the forward line for "development" to be the excuse for 4 touches a game then he is the last thing we need from a Captain.
I’m interested in trying to address the space between the ears, with respect I haven’t really ever rated Jack as a captain (don’t get me wrong I think he has done his best) I suggested Goldie because some people respond beyond expectations when the mantle of leadership is thrust upon them, maybe Goldie is one of them? Maybe not. Look I don’t care if they draw the name out of a hat changing the captaincy will impact on the playing group and their performance (positively I reckon 😀) That space between the players ears needs tackling big time.

Looking back at who was missing from the last time we played them: Thomas, Cunners, Taz, Atley & Zurhaar.

The three of those who are still with us probably mean the first quarter is not the debacle that unfolded and who knows what unfolds. However, we are a different team & will continue to blood new players for a few seasons until we settle on a combination that takes us back to the top.

meh either we are 10 goals better or you guys have dropped off a little from 12 months ago but fu** the aints this is our gig north v bulldogs the saints have been in the comp since day dot if they haven't sorted a marquee game by now tough s**t, both our clubs have been treated like crap since they entered the comp together in 1925 nope fu** saint kilda this is ours and i cant wait to return the smashings your dogs have given us on good friday in the years to come and they will come but untill then all the best till next year
Mate. The day will come, it’s how footy is. I just hope when the time comes both clubs put a stack of goals on. Plenty were kicked last night so lots of the good stuff to charity.

Good luck, it is tough & hopefully they hang in there.

As TT acknowledged with his kids, that second quarter Roo revival with pumped up fans is so critical for kids to experience. Watching on tv it makes me furious the monotone commentators didn’t respond to us like they have for years when Carlton kick a good goal & reduce the deficit to 33 points late in the third. Sure they fail at the end but you remember how you felt in that moment & crave more.

Big Ben Brown offered someone the kids could love and a firing full forward helps the young ones stay interested.

To all the parents/carers of increasingly disinterested kids, I hope in the second half of the year that we find our mojo & given them something to bring them back next year.
We need Thomas back out there ASAP. The kids love him. I took my 11 year old step son to his first live game yesterday. He absolutely loved it. He doesn’t really understand alot of the game yet as he is from overseas but that 2nd quarter he was up out of his seat. He keeps asking me “when is the next game?”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back