Autopsy Autopsy vs Western Bulldogs - Good Friday Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to having an extra in defence? After the first three goals i thought it the only sensible response.

What annoyed me greatly was McKay continually trying to out mark Naughton. Have a look at their first goal. Most worried about the Skipper's dropped mark. What was a sign of things to come was McKay, completely out of position, still attempting to mark when a fist would have put the ball out of bounce. The spillage gave the Doggies that goal. Even that last Naughton mark in the goal square McKay was going to attempt the mark.

Corr has had one OK season with the Giants. He played, surrounded by guns, still missed loads of games, but finished top ten in their Best and Fairest. He ain't a centre half back.

AS many have said we need more key position defenders. Both Corr and Walker will be gone in three years but I do not like the lack of a mean defensive mind set.

Against bulldogs I’d have an extra around the ball instead of backline. But either way our coaching doesn’t seem to like those types of options

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately it's going to be a slow burn as we build our way up. We all know the players who need to be phased out over the net 12-24 months and hopefully at the end of the season we'll see changes like Comben helping Larkey in the forward line, Paul Curtis giving us some zip in the forward line, Taz, WilPhil back rotating in the midfield and maybe even Cunners and Jed in for some more support. Comben coming in leaves us with two rucks and i think the best option is starting with X and Goldy giving him some chop out from the bench so we can take it right up to the best rucks in the competition.

We desperately need another tall down back but going from McGuinness game yesterday he's not physically ready. I think he plays more like a flanker, just like Goater and Burgman who were all good in the reserves yesterday.

Not much else impressed me from the VFL team, Laz looked slow, Jed worked hard but his kicking let him down at times, Kyron looked and played like a reserves footballer. Bonar gave us some good drive but was well beaten in the air and CCJ has no presence at all while Edwards is very much a work in progress - hopefully it's the case of big men taking time!

There's more pain ahead but we need to be comparing ourselves to Brisbane when Fagan took over and they were horrible until the key players developed.

Malthouse and co. addressed the extra in defence.

We had an extra back in the first quarter - which meant so did the bulldogs.

You have to match their numbers in their back half. If you don’t - and they even or win the contested ball - you see what happens. They slice you and dice you.

What happened to having an extra in defence? After the first three goals i thought it the only sensible response.

What annoyed me greatly was McKay continually trying to out mark Naughton. Have a look at their first goal. Most worried about the Skipper's dropped mark. What was a sign of things to come was McKay, completely out of position, still attempting to mark when a fist would have put the ball out of bounce. The spillage gave the Doggies that goal. Even that last Naughton mark in the goal square McKay was going to attempt the mark.

Corr has had one OK season with the Giants. He played, surrounded by guns, still missed loads of games, but finished top ten in their Best and Fairest. He ain't a centre half back.

AS many have said we need more key position defenders. Both Corr and Walker will be gone in three years but I do not like the lack of a mean defensive mind set.
McKay spent the whole game playing off his opponent, as if he wanted to play an intercepting role. It didn't work but I reckon he was doing it under instruction.

That's thekey difference for us and it will only come with time and practise. Hopefully within 15 months we'll be at the point where we don't pause to find an option but instead get the ball and move to kick to spots with faith that someone will be there to get the ball.

When SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay talks about the Bulldogs having a settled coach and system for nearly a decade this is what he means.

The difference between being switched on to that set up and still looking for a player somewhere to kick to is alot of the difference yesterday wrt uncontested possessions. Its just gonna take time.

Swans have it, Dees have it, even the Tiges still have it.

Was watching the Dees a few weeks and they were in trouble in defence, Joel Smith I think it was hit a kick that seemed "blind" but was actually a controlled drop punt as opposed to a hack kick.

It appeared to be going for an insufficient intent deliberate, but then you saw Alex Neal Bullen absolutely gut running from the square to where the kick was heading (50 meets boundary) line and through sheer effort and drill, he took a nice diving mark.

That was fitness and drill, nothing else. Joel Smith and Neal Bullen are 21st/22nd type blokes on the list for the Dees. But because they are so well drilled and supremely fit, they looked like world beaters in that play.

And it was simple as s**t. Joel Smith knew that in that situation, hit a controlled kick to where the 50 meets the boundary line and someone will be there.

Neal-Bullen knew that when he saw the play in defence get congested and his mob would need the bail out, his job was to get to that point.

That's what we need to build, and it just takes time, effort and continuity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on the footy…
all of the problems were an outcome of them being super quick and pretty talented

once we lost it out of the middle their hand and foot skills meant we couldn’t get it back
they barely made a mistake
and we could not put enough pressure on to force a mistake

exactly the same problem coming out of our backline…..they are so quick we can never get a break so they are on to us absolutely every contest, and then we choke
So it all comes back to pace

We barely have a quick player, but boy do we have a lot of lumberers
goldy walker X McKay Greenwood JZ
Larkey can run but he has no acceleration to get separation, so a half decent back can contain him
simpkin is the same, yes he is evasive but he is not quick, he will never catch anyone

so we need more quick players and we have to replace Hall
anyone who can actually run in the 2s is looking good

and why on earth is. Turner back in the forward line?
he is a lockdown defender
Atu should have been on Daniel if that was what Turner was actually doing
The Mahony JZ Turner forward line is just a disaster

And the Goldy as forward routine we have to give up on
just play. X and Goldy as changing ruckman

So they want to give the game to the Saints because they're the only club without a marquee match.... Then what would that make us? The only club with out a marquee match.

Such ******* stupid logic.

1650178783997.png

Should definitely take Queens Birthday off Melbourne for their '11-'15 form.

Last edited:
Did you ever get around to posting these Spud11 ?

No, just speaking generally. These days he’s a passionate (and frustrated) north fan like we all are, and I see a lot to agree with in what he says.

His most recent one was something along the lines of ‘see what happens when the attack on the ball is fierce’.

Echoes what many here say, and has extra weight because he’s a club legend.

(On club legends- I’ve seen a bit posted here about JB and Carey’s supposed negativity and willingness to sink the boot in- well wouldn’t you be a bit frustrated too if you’d put your heart and soul into an organisation only to find them heartless and soulless at the minute?)

McKay spent the whole game playing off his opponent, as if he wanted to play an intercepting role. It didn't work but I reckon he was doing it under instruction.
If he was told to play off Naughton the coach needs to go. I would have played Walker on Naughton(he couldn't have done worse) and let McKay play hero( go for the intercept).

We are not using our limited resources properly. Walker concedes one goal per game but does notheing else.

McKay's clone kicks goals galore but we have Ben being outmarked deep in defense. He might be a reasonable forward, something far more important than a defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back