Status
Not open for further replies.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am not too concerned

When you lose a Prelim or Gf that’s bad because you know you are so close and that might have been your one and only shot.

Meanwhile I am with Gordy

With zero points and a % of 37 Gordy should be ok with that prediction - however after Adelaide we have Geelong in Geelong and Dockers over there - we may rock along the bottom for a while yet.

It was this piece of play that hurt me most.
Our captain lying on the ground not moving, not injured, just giving up as his direct opponent fights contest after contest that eventually ends in an easy shot on goal.
From the team that is 10 goals up, not the one 10 goals down that has drawn "a line in the sand". No surprise that we conceded another 13 goals from this point.

Z.jpg

Last edited:
There is completion for that title:
1. Mahoney is slow because his body shape looks slow
2. Player X now aged 26 was a high pick in his draft year so we factor that into our assessment of his football ability.
3. Big muscles on young player at pre season means he's going to be a gun.
4. Old player, therefore provides good leadership for the kids.
5. Umpires treat North differently.
6. Media treat North differently.

I roll with at least 3 of 6 on any given day!

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Mahoney is slow because he looks like a 35 year old accountant 😁.

But, to be serious, I think it’s much too early to make a definitive claim on Mahoney. Let the kid play and develop, as the team hopefully does and we will find out in time.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speed can be many things, over 5, 10, 20, 50 ect. Anyone have numbers how they stack up Vs similar size players in the AFL? Of then theres speed of mind which is much more subjective.
Tbh i havent thought him slow, but he isnt a Boomer, Eddie Betts or Liam Ryan either.
He isn't slow. He is slow for someone of his height playing in this competition. If you want to play AFL football at his size, you need to have elite acceleration in order to extricate yourself from the crowded areas.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He isn't slow. He is slow for someone of his height playing in this competition. If you want to play AFL football at his size, you need to have elite acceleration in order to extricate yourself from the crowded areas.
In the broadcast of the match against The Suns Fox flashed up a graphic showing the 5 players that had recorded the highest top-end speeds during the match and Mahoney was one of those on the list. He is quick enough.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm still yet to bring myself to unburden myself here from Friday's loss. Every time I get close to writing my thoughts I just crumple again and literally start trembling again with a mixture of anger and humiliation. And that's after I've managed to calm down and think rationally. After reading this post I'm clearly still not ready to provide my thoughts. In 40 odd years of being a North supporter this would pretty much be the low point.

The 1998 AFL GF was the low point with nothing else coming close.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 1998 AFL GF was the low point with nothing else coming close.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I can't disagree with you there. It's a game, like all North supporters, I've never watched again, and will never go back to for the rest of my life.

We did make the Grand Final however and had one of the greatest North teams our great club had ever assembled. We stood for something. Of course you're right that didn't mean anything then and I'll never get over having thrown away that flag.

The difference for me however is that over the last few years there has been a steady, now dramatic decline of form and character. Scott IMO only, was the catalyst for killing it, and should never have been extended as long as he was. The club was then responsible for hiring a rookie coach in Shaw, which as we know in hindsight was not the right decision. I will qualify that however by saying the club was unlucky in the sense of the extra pressures that COVID and hub life put upon Shaw who was understandably incapable of shouldering the immense pressures involved with a rebuild.

I have never witnessed a wooden spoon in my life time and I've never felt that we are genuinely the worst and least skilled side in the competition. A 128 point loss is not good for the soul and I'll need a while like most of us to see the genesis of something good out of Friday. Some of our kids again showed excellent glimpses but the way the Dogs pushed aside and treated us with contempt should make every person involved with the club angry, furious and determined to never let that happen again. So many turnovers and each one is a knife to the heart. Of course we will have plenty more bad losses before things get infinitely better hence my current feeling of ground zero. It's been a long time since we've had the opportunity to sing the song at the end of a game and I don't know when the next opportunity will arise.

Ok no more lament. I do love the direction that the club is finally taking us and I have a good feeling around Noble long term. The poor guy is at 1.30am on the premiership clock. I'll be at the Crows game on Sunday. There is still an irrational part of me that harbours hope that we can pull off a win.

GO KANGAS!!!

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah I saw him bet he never went to a game before the Bradbury
well all teams have their share of feral supporters. Either rock up sober and drug Free or dont rock up at all.

I have travelled to a few Collingwood games in the past 10 years as a neutral regardless of it being at the mcg or Docklands. I always see a Collingwood fan get arrested regardless if that fan is sober or not.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Well Allow me to say this as a Neutral....

dont get me wrong North played badly on the weekend. Yeah you kicked only 5 goals and got pumped over 20 goals. It happens.

I have been a freo fan since late 2001- early 2002. I have had very little positives and many negatives on my years being a dockers fan. Only 2 occasions I actually contemplated giving up on not only the dockers but the AFL entriely.

One incident was round 15 2009 when freo got belted by the crows in footy park on a wet saturday night. Kicked a solitary behind at half time and 1.7.13 the whole game.

The other time was in 2005.... I had the best feeling and worst feeling on that weekend as a dockers fan. Round 21 in 2005 freo beat the saints on a friday night with a Justin Longmuir goal after the siren by 5 points. Then sadly on August 21st 2005 a former docker and North in Garry Dhurrkay passed away in a Car accident in the NT.

Saying that.... I can assume theres a lot of you guys following north since that entertaning 1990s period with Wayne Carey as the captain and Dennis Pagan as the coach. Theres a fair amount you guys that followed north in the 1970s when Ron Barrassi coached north to 5 grand finals in a row for 2 flags.

Theres a few of you guys that saw north make their 1st grand final in 1950.

David Noble is a good pick up. Remember this bloke worked with the crows and set up the crows side that made the grand final in 2017. He was at Brisbane from 2017-2020 as a List Manager and was one of the main reasons Brisbane improved and made finals in 2019 and 2020.

As bad as North is Now, there is Light at the end of the Tunnell. Things will gradually turn around.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes I can't disagree with you there. It's a game, like all North supporters, I've never watched again, and will never go back to for the rest of my life.

We did make the Grand Final however and had one of the greatest North teams our great club had ever assembled. We stood for something. Of course you're right that didn't mean anything then and I'll never get over having thrown away that flag.

I've almost forgotten all games in regular season where we lost badly, well not forgotten but it doesn't burn in my stomach. Maybe besides the 60+ turnaround from the Dons cause they keep replaying it.

This season is where it is, I could nit pick a few things but we are where we are and it wouldn't look so bad if all our senior players were on the track. The president has put it on record that we expect to be competing for a premiership in 2-3 years and he should he judged on that.

Games I will never forget and still leave me livid:
- 1994 preliminary final vs Geelong (what was the free kick differential again)?
- 1998 grand final (gee, I hate the Crows and their mock version of our song that they did).
- 2015 preliminary final vs WC (we should have won that game and might of if Razor Ray wasn't involved).

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Our captain lying on the ground not moving, not injured, just giving up as his direct opponent fights contest after contest that eventually ends in an easy shot on goal.
From the team that is 10 goals up, not the one 10 goals down that has drawn "a line in the sand". No surprise that we conceded another 13 goals from this point.

View attachment 1095295
This post is dedication

View attachment 1095295

Yep, I spoke about this moment earlier, it was my “breaking point”. I was just bleating “No, no, no, for God’s sake, don’t let them score from this” as the play progressed. It was like watching a car crash developing in slow motion. The moment Jack hit the deck, I just knew it was going to end up in a goal. Horrible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Simon Prestigiacomo, Liverpool
Worth throwing McKay forward? I would imagine Walker has the best attributes to take the Texan and will likely get smashed anyway. Worst case McKay doesn’t get near it and you move him back. Why not try something? Those twins have such incredible athletic attributes for players of their size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back