North Melbourne

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hilarious. If it wasn’t also horrible.

Setting aside that I have a personal interest in Jack, he is a long way from the top of our list of problems, and no-one of his age and experience should be made a whipping boy. The number of games he played last year and this year indicate people who watch him on and off field all the time see enough to believe he belongs in the senior team.
Agree Mahoney cops more than his fair share, but there is a frustration amongst fans that while we are at rock bottom and rebuilding we have an enormous amount of young and small players
Mahoney, lazzaro, Phillips, Hayden, scott
Meanwhile I saw glimpses of the * v saints game and * had 3 new draftees with genuine wow factor who impacted the game
One was 200cm, kicked beautifully both sides and was quick
Throw in that TT and LDU are 3 and 4 years in and the 3 * players showed more in one game than they have in their career to date makes me believe there is something stinky about drafting and development at Arden St
It makes me wonder that the our kids are actually closer to 18th best along with the more seasoned Roos who are also 18th in comp
Powell aside, I see a lot more wow factor in other teams young players
I finish this by saying I hope this looks a silly post in a few years and all our kids are dominating and wowing us all

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And that makes him fast?

he is fast for North, that does not make him fast FFS.

Pickett is fast, Papley is fast, Cameron is fast, Mahony is not fast.
I’m not writing him off, I just think it’s a typical North selection of selecting someone with deficiencies he’s unlikely to ever get over.

Most rigged game, ever.

He was one of the top five players for recorded speed on the ground that day from the 44 players on both sides FFS. It is pretty compelling evidence he is not as slow as the BF crowd has painted him to be.

He is a very different player from Picket, Papley, and Cameron. If he does make it as a very good player it will be in a different role.

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’ve had a lot of vanilla players on the list the last 20 years relative to the comp, and a lot of our draftees appear to be cut from same cloth
Having Kossie Pickett rip it up only emphasises the point
Serong wins a rising star, Logan McDonald is bound to kick a bag in a game in first year
Nearly everything about this club we love from a list, drafting and development point of view is a debacle

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Geelong was the cleanest team in history. The Duck played one of the all-time great finals matches with 14 marks, 24 possessions, 6 goals 4, and the Cats didn't even infringe him once.
The only positive out of this game was watching them be humiliated the following week and it not being us

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’ve had a lot of vanilla players on the list the last 20 years relative to the comp, and a lot of our draftees appear to be cut from same cloth
Serong wins a rising star, Logan McDonald is bound to kick a bag in a game in first year
Nearly everything about this club we love from a list, drafting and development point of view is a debacle
I think you need to separate before and after - the consensus on here would be that the Joyce-era drafting was pretty much as you call it, but it's way too early to draw conclusions about the current regime, which has had one draft to work with. Of the five players taken by the current regime in the main draft last year, three have debuted with promising results (Phillips, Powell and Lazarro), which is a good hit-bust ratio at this stage.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
....and hence we are the worst team in the comp by a long way....

The issue is what are we doing about it?

Stevo and Powell look great long term prospects. Laz looks likely and we are awaiting for Wiphi to get used to the pace of the game but expectations should be high for this junior gun. Corr has been a great mature age pick up who will be around for 5 years.

We need to get the best player available in the mid season draft then have 4 picks inside 20 in the 2021 draft - plus a psd number 1 pick on a out of contract player.

This will net us 2 more mids, 2 key position players and hopefully some class on the outside. In an ideal world Comben comes good but that is just wishful thinking at this stage.

Will this work - we don't know - its a new Football Department and we have to hope they have the goods. They are experienced operators so we should be optimistic but the proof will be in the pudding. There is a lot of hard work and need for effective decision making in front of us.

The only positive out of this game was watching them be humiliated the following week and it not being us
If history has taught us anything, you don't want to beat North in a prelim:

1979 - Filth; robbed by Wayne Harmes/Ken Sheldon goal that shouldn't have been
1983 - *; (then) record flogging by the Hawks
1994 - Handbaggers; flogged by the 'roid munchers
1997 - Saints; Jarmanned and Macleoded;
2000 - GoDees; flogged by *
2007 - Port; record flogging by the Handbaggers
2014 - Swans; flogged by the Hawks
2015 - West Coast; flogged by the Hawks

It certainly makes the task of hate-watching the big game much easier.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
If history has taught us anything, you don't want to beat North in a prelim:

1979 - Filth; robbed by Wayne Harmes/Ken Sheldon goal that shouldn't have been
1983 - *; (then) record flogging by the Hawks
1994 - Handbaggers; flogged by the 'roid munchers
1997 - Saints; Jarmanned and Macleoded;
2000 - GoDees; flogged by *
2007 - Port; record flogging by the Handbaggers
2014 - Swans; flogged by the Hawks
2015 - West Coast; flogged by the Hawks

It certainly makes the task of hate-watching the big game much easier.

Good pickup. Other than Carlton nobody who knocked us out of finals from 1993 onwards has gone on to a win flag by the looks of it. How bizarre.

We should name ourselves the Killer Bees. We mostly implode during finals but end up ****ing up our last opponent while we're at it.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Development is the key from here. We need to get that right. You can go back 20 years and we've had blokes reach a certain level and stagnate.

There's been plenty of s**t drafting. You've got to draw a line somewhere and I'm not going to bag the drafting from last year when we've netted Phillips, Powell and Lazarro. All look very capable, but we need to develop them. Given that we are playing them from basically the word go is a good start. We also need to nail at least one from Ford, Spicer and P Walker. All have a a bit of that "X factor" people like to bang on about.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Agree Mahoney cops more than his fair share, but there is a frustration amongst fans that while we are at rock bottom and rebuilding we have an enormous amount of young and small players
Mahoney, lazzaro, Phillips, Hayden, scott
Meanwhile I saw glimpses of the * v saints game and * had 3 new draftees with genuine wow factor who impacted the game
One was 200cm, kicked beautifully both sides and was quick
Throw in that TT and LDU are 3 and 4 years in and the 3 * players showed more in one game than they have in their career to date makes me believe there is something stinky about drafting and development at Arden St
It makes me wonder that the our kids are actually closer to 18th best along with the more seasoned Roos who are also 18th in comp
Powell aside, I see a lot more wow factor in other teams young players
I finish this by saying I hope this looks a silly post in a few years and all our kids are dominating and wowing us all

Lol what a bullshit overreaction.
Perkins had 14 touches, Cox 17, Waterman 12 - in a team that had 117 more disposals (106 of those uncontested BTW) and 10 more scoring shots than the other.
They played in a team that absolutely dominated the other, of course they are going to look good.

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lol what a bullshit overreaction.
Perkins had 14 touches, Cox 17, Waterman 12 - in a team that had 117 more disposals (106 of those uncontested BTW) and 10 more scoring shots than the other.
They played in a team that absolutely dominated the other, of course they are going to look good.
They had their ruck out, best key defender, one of best mid and a host of others
The kids showed a heap and they won by 10 goals
We played same team in pre season at Arden st, used the excuse had same lot of seniors out like they did and were pasted by 90

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
They had their ruck out, best key defender, one of best mid and a host of others
We played same team in pre season at Arden st, used the excuse had same lot of seniors out like they did and were pasted by 90

The kids weren't the reason they won.

Their leading goalkickers were: Hooker(204g, 32y/o), Stringer(139g, 26y/o) & McDonald-Tipungwuti(109g, 27y/o)
Their leading ball winners were: Ridley(29g, Last years B&F winner, 22y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o), Parish(96g, 23y/o)
Their leading tacklers on the ground were: Snelling(25g, 23y/o), Smith(157g, 27y/o), Francis(38g, 23y/o)
Their leading clearance players were: Parish(96g, 23y/o), Wright(69g, 24y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o)
Their players with the most metres gained: Parish(96g, 23y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o), Ridley(29g, 22y/o)

Last I checked none of those players were any of their debutants.

I thought you said the 3 that made their debut have shown more than both TT & LDU have in their whole career? Now it's just they showed "a heap"? Next will it be "solid performances" from them?
I get that you're annoyed about how s**t we are at the moment but stop with the ******* self loathing negativity already ffs.

Also FYI one of the players that made their debut for * and the one that performed the best IMO with 2 goals 2 behinds, Alec Waterman, is 24y/o so older than both TT & LDU and has been in the system since 2015 as he is an ex Eagle.

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The kids weren't the reason they won.

Their leading goalkickers were: Hooker(204g, 32y/o), Stringer(139g, 26y/o) & McDonald-Tipungwuti(109g, 27y/o)
Their leading ball winners were: Ridley(29g, Last years B&F winner, 22y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o), Parish(96g, 23y/o)
Their leading tacklers on the ground were: Snelling(25g, 23y/o), Smith(157g, 27y/o), Francis(38g, 23y/o)
Their leading clearance players were: Parish(96g, 23y/o), Wright(69g, 24y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o)
Their players with the most metres gained: Parish(96g, 23y/o), Merrett(145g, 25y/o), Ridley(29g, 22y/o)

Last I checked none of those players were any of their debutants.

I thought you said the 3 that made their debut have shown more than both TT & LDU have in their whole career? Now it's just they showed "a heap"? Next will it be "solid performances" from them?
I get that you're annoyed about how sh*t we are at the moment but stop with the ******* self loathing negativity already ffs.

Also FYI one of the players that made their debut for * and the one that performed the best IMO with 2 goals 2 behinds, Alec Waterman, is 24y/o so older than both TT & LDU and has been in the system since 2015 as he is an ex Eagle.
They did show more than LDU and TT have shown in their careers to date and also did by showing a heap
Take your silly blue and white goggles off
I’m not sure why precious supporters like yourself get so upset at others giving opinions after a 128pt roll over performance

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hilarious. If it wasn’t also horrible.

Setting aside that I have a personal interest in Jack, he is a long way from the top of our list of problems, and no-one of his age and experience should be made a whipping boy. The number of games he played last year and this year indicate people who watch him on and off field all the time see enough to believe he belongs in the senior team.

I'm glad you found it hilarious.

It would appear your personal biases are clouding your judgement in this instance.

I maintain he is not a whipping boy and that posters are commenting on what they see.

If you think differently and thinks he is going well, that is fine and many others do also.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It would appear your personal biases are clouding your judgement in this instance.

I maintain he is not a whipping boy and that posters are commenting on what they see.

If you think differently and thinks he is going well, that is fine and many others do also.
So sorry what was your "fair comment on what he needs to improve on"? He just needs to work on "being shithouse"? Or stop being such a "midget battler"? Tips for life!

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So sorry what was your "fair comment on what he needs to improve on"? He just needs to work on "being shithouse"? Or stop being such a "midget battler"? Tips for life!
If anyone does have some tips on how to stop being a midget battler, feel free to share as I could use them.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He needs to work on his footy. Especially his agility and disposal.

Do you watch our games or are incapable of forming your own opinion? If other people think he's great so be it.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He needs to work on his footy. Especially his agility and disposal.

Do you watch our games or are incapable of forming your own opinion? If other people think he's great so be it.
He's got about 30 mates who need to work on their footy, some more than others.
No, I don't reckon he's been great but I don't think he's shithouse either. My view is there's a long list of blokes who I'm far more worried about than Jack many of whom have played far in excess of 13 games.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's got about 30 mates who need to work on their footy, some more than others.
No, I don't reckon he's been great but I don't think he's shithouse either. My view is there's a long list of blokes who I'm far more worried about than Jack many of whom have played far in excess of 13 games.

So what's the problem?

I'm not worried per se but I am concerned he isn't as good as some think. Certainly Powell and Lazarro straight past him already.

Jeez how dare I say that.

My thoughts on Atley, Tyson, Hall and co are well stated so we agree.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So what's the problem?

I'm not worried per se but I am concerned he isn't as good as some think. Certainly Powell and Lazarro straight past him already.

Jeez how dare I say that.

My thoughts on Atley, Tyson, Hall and co are well stated so we agree.
The problem is you don't have to shitcan one of our players to show you're "concerned" (but not worried). You can pump up Lazarro and Powell's tyres without putting down Mahoney.

It's way too early for big calls on any of them in my view, but if you're going to be hyperbolic I'd rather it was on the positive side.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

If you think "he is shithouse" is fair, not overly critical commentary on what he needs to improve, I can't agree.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem is you don't have to shitcan one of our players to show you're "concerned" (but not worried). You can pump up Lazarro and Powell's tyres without putting down Mahoney.

It's way too early for big calls on any of them in my view, but if you're going to be hyperbolic I'd rather it was on the positive side.

Didn't s**t can him at all. History suggests not all draft picks make it. He may or may not be one of them.

I'm saying they have shown AFL ability and Mahony hasn't. If we weren't VFL standard he wouldn't be playing. No way he is playing for the Dogs for example.

No one has made any big calls. He has time on his side to improve as all young players deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back