Autopsy Autopsy vs *

Remove this Banner Ad

ROOS ZAPPED BY JACK​

Jack Ziebell has become a liability late in games.

On Saturday he was twice tackled as the deepest defender and he then dumped a kick straight to Dyson Heppell 40m from goal when the game was still up for grabs.

First it was Jye Menzie and then it was Matt Guelfi who got Ziebell and those tackles set up critical goals for Elijah Tsatas and Kyle Langford.

It might seem harsh on a retiring 32-year-old, but this was not the first time Ziebell zapped his team’s winning chances late in a game.

That’s 19 straight losses and time is running out to join in the chorus one last time.

Richmond and Gold Coast in Tassie are both good season-finale chances though

BEN’S LAST HARVEST

Alastair Clarkson said
pre-game Ben Cunnington and Anthony Stevens were “neck and neck” in that famous No.10 jumper for North Melbourne.
Then Ben bowed out in vintage fashion – 10 clearances (four out of the centre), 16 contested possessions, two goals and a few rugged tackles.
Cunnington whispered to Jy Simpkin last week that he was going to retire – but even without the shock factor Simpkin became a blubbering mess during this week’s retirement speech.
His wet cheeks illustrated the enormous impact Cunnington had at Arden St. And it was no coincidence that the Roos scored 55 points from stoppages on Saturday (their equal most for 2023) when they had Cunnington at the coalface for the final time.
His former coach Brad Scott, who “shed a tear” when Cunnington booted his final goal to bring the game back to a knife’s edge, lauded his passion for the Roos and his progression from an outstanding junior into the AFL star that he became.
“I suspect he’ll be back on the farm in the next 24 hours. And he may not leave the farm for the next 24 years,” Scott said of the 32-year-old who grew up in south-western township of Princetown and now owns property near Benalla .
“Two club champion (awards) and just an integral part of the North Melbourne Football Club and the AFL industry for a long time … so clearly, I can’t speak highly enough about him.

Thanks Cunners on a great career. The players gave it everything they had but their fitness, skills and decision making are lacking.
You could tell the players were struggling to keep the zone intact in the 2nd half and were starting to look tired.
We didn't make the most of our passages of play going forward and our forward structure needs a lot of work as well.
As Clarko said the players around Larkey need to be dangerous. Mentioned a 2nd tall (Charlie) and ground ball improvement (=Wizard?).
Big picture we've lost 7 games under 24 points (been in games more) and lost 5 under 12 points (don't know how to win).
If you add some players out of Comben, Logue, Powell, Zurhaar, Harvey, Phillips, Bergman and George, we're a better side potentially if it comes together but also very young. We'll get hurt by some experience leaving, especially in defence, but also depends on who is acquired.
Lazzaro not up to it. Xerri nothing more than a VFL ruck. Ford, Goater and Archer showing some improvement. Corr been very solid.
I think Wardlaw playing 50% game time at AFL level is more beneficial for him than playing VFL so didn't mind him being managed through it.
I honestly don't know which problem you fix first though. Transition running on all lines? Key position? Forward 50 pressure? Ruck?
Not going to be solved in one year that's for sure but hopefully we can start to address some of these list issues.

Fix the run first. It has the greatest impact on the overall quality of all 3 areas of the ground and also provides the greatest support to our highest investment area, which is the inside midfield game. Better run makes us more dangerous forward, closes down space to reduce the oppositions effectiveness when going forward and forces the opposition to adjust their zones

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For a lot of that game the defence including Jack were a big reason we were going as well as we were. But then a bunch of poor decisions and execution probably cost the win. It’s time for younger players to be brought in and/or to step up in that part of the ground. Goater had a couple of howlers but you can buy that as part of the journey as he learns and develops to his potential.

Harsh but inescapable truth is that if we didn't play Turner, McDonald and Ziebell we win that game.

How they've got regular games when Cunnington couldn't says heaps about our complete lack of nous around team selection.
Readier replacements for Cunners, and while it’s great he pulled out some vintage work yesterday he wasn’t able to produce it at senior level earlier the season, so I don’t think there’s any mystery there.

Never once said he was the reason we lost. Just said he’s an absolute potato and useless.

A bloke with fresh legs should be able to come on and impact the contest.

Instead he runs around like a lost idiot.
He is a fringe player and you want him to come on and dominate?

He is very handy in the 2s. If he gets a run in the 1s he good be a shot. He might appreciate a job, could be a tagger.

Fix the run first. It has the greatest impact on the overall quality of all 3 areas of the ground and also provides the greatest support to our highest investment area, which is the inside midfield game. Better run makes us more dangerous forward, closes down space to reduce the oppositions effectiveness when going forward and forces the opposition to adjust their zones

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The lack of movement later in quarters absolutely kills us.

You just knew when * got the ball forward we were no chance of getting it out.

Cunners wants to live on the farm and enjoy fishing on the boat but gee whiz based on today I'd give him next year to think about it.

We'll miss you mate 💙🤍
Was thinking the same thing. As useful as he's been in the middle, he's also pretty handy around the goals and always has been. And proved it again yesterday. Even from set shot's, we're not closing our eye's in hope like we usually do. It'd be great if he had a rethink, but obviously wishful thinking.

Thought WillPhil was shjt again today, fumbly, slow, easily moved off the footy, loopy shjt kicks inside F50…..for a pick 3, looks like a bust!!!!
Not sure how you came to that conclusion considering he didn’t even play.

F*ck there are some dumb comments in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh but inescapable truth is that if we didn't play Turner, McDonald and Ziebell we win that game.

How they've got regular games when Cunnington couldn't says heaps about our complete lack of nous around team selection.
I suspect it might change now that Clarkson is back running the show, but, spot on.

Well no - it happened when Clarko was coaching at the start as well. I have zero faith in the selection committee atm.
There obviously has to be some list management changes, we know what they are, but I have total faith in Clarkson. There also has to be some list changes, and some that may put a few noses out of joint, but so be it.

Honestly flatter after yesterdays game than I was the first time we played them.

I foolishly thought we’d actually have the heart to dig deep enough to win it. You can talk through all the reasons we didn’t, they don’t really matter.

That game should have been viewed as an absolutely must win, and we couldn’t.

I just want the season to end now.

Attending the footy is duty not joy.

Yeah it doesn't really matter what you think, it's whether players get enough opportunities at AFL level in the right position.

We have players who've had every chance to prove themselves at AFL level in a range of positions but haven't succeeded. But at least the club knows that . Lazzaro isn't one, he's barely played 5 minutes on ball at AFL level, and barely any games.

Again, it really doesn't matter what you think, it's completely irrelevant. It's whether he's had the opportunities in the right position at AFL level and he hasn't.
Your delusional.

You really think Lazarro could make it at AFL level as an a midfielder? LOL

Did you watch him run around like a lost clown in his cameo yesterday?

Tell me in what world does Lazarro get minutes in front of any of our current mids? A struggling Phillips is a better option.

Just because he can play at VFL level doesn’t translate to AFL level. Plenty of players who can’t make the transition.”, he is one.

He might make it as an orange boy at AFL level?

It’s time to stop selecting players at the draft who don’t have anything elite about them and it’s time to stop wasting our time thinking they can make it.

Just one of a long list that should be delisted.

Readier replacements for Cunners, and while it’s great he pulled out some vintage work yesterday he wasn’t able to produce it at senior level earlier the season, so I don’t think there’s any mystery there.
Hey H2H.

Earlier in the year was about miles in the legs.

No coincidence we posted our highest score from stoppages yesterday all year.

He was AFL fit weeks ago.

Hey H2H.

It’s amazing how much better our other mids looked with Cunners winning the contest and dishing off. It means LDU can be used to burst instead of having to extract himself and burst.

The great man is done, but he put a masterclass on yesterday to say goodbye.

Phillips needs to get in the gym and watch tape of Cunners. If he is going to make it his prime job will be to win first possession and distribute to players who can burst free like LDU, Wardlaw and Simpkin.

Hey H2H.

I know that, and I was very happy to see it. But I’ve also been happy to see LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Wardlaw, Sheezel and Thomas at stoppages this year. And I don’t think the replacement for Ziebell has been as obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back