Avalanches new album rumoured to be released as early as today

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know, I know. Sixteen years of the same rumours but they've announced global tour dates. I'm on my phone so I can't link to the article but it's on faster louder I believe.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

An amazing comeback...

First off, it's a double album..titled "wildflower"..

The band look the same age as they did in 1998, there's one guy missing, Darren S., but it's still most of the original recording band...

LyH0lG0.jpg

Last edited:
It's feels really cool just to say 'Have you heard The Avalanches new song?', for literally the first time in my life. It's an interesting song, it's definitely catchy, although at the moment, it's hard for me to think of it as an actual single or hit song or anything. It feels like a lesser track of Since I Left You at the moment for me personally.

It's feels really cool just to say 'Have you heard The Avalanches new song?', for literally the first time in my life. It's an interesting song, it's definitely catchy, although at the moment, it's hard for me to think of it as an actual single or hit song or anything. It feels like a lesser track of Since I Left You at the moment for me personally.

That's not really a bad thing..

I really like it, it reminds of el producto meets since I left you meets gorillaz...

The samples in this are really cool as well..

Sounding really nice on my audio technica m50x studio headphones...

But let's put it into context...

It's listed as the second last song on a 20 track double LP...

So this is sort of like a very small taste of the new record.

How is this awful??

I don't get the hate, sorry..

calling something dog Sh!t is a very lazy way of describing something ...

It sounds like el producto meets SILY to me, that doesn't equate to horse Sh!t in my book..

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that song is ******* awful. It sounds like an ICP song.

Still great to have them back though, and am optimistic about the album
How is this awful??

I don't get the hate, sorry..

calling something dog Sh!t is a very lazy way of describing something ...

It sounds like el producto meets SILY to me, that doesn't equate to horse Sh!t in my book..

Mootsy before listening to the song, I assumed you'd be right, and james Dean would be jumping on the hate for this too soon.

After listening to the song, I think it's fine - but james Dean's opinion is justified.

This does sound like an ICP song. It's got a circus/clown themed beat running through the background, and some low quality rapping throughout.

I'd listen to it on the album, but wouldn't be searching it out this song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, immediately reminded me of Rock City.

Mootsy before listening to the song, I assumed you'd be right, and james Dean would be jumping on the hate for this too soon.

After listening to the song, I think it's fine - but james Dean's opinion is justified.

This does sound like an ICP song. It's got a circus/clown themed beat running through the background, and some low quality rapping throughout.

I'd listen to it on the album, but wouldn't be searching it out this song.

I'm struggling to think of an Insane Clown Posse song this reminds me of (not that I could be called anywhere close to being a fan). Yes, circus music are often polkas, but it didn't remind me of the circus at all. I was actually quite impressed with Danny Brown's part in this - when it was leaked he would be collab I was nonplussed to say the least. On the other hand I think the DOOM verse is quite poor, especially the first few lines.

Yeah I know the JJJ/Melbourne hipster brigade are gonna be expected to be saying they love this, but for a first single in 16 whatever years, you would think you want to be putting out something better than that.

I expected some crazy 180 to flip things on its head, but nope...absolute load of dogshit as has been suggested earlier.

Always suspected Dexter and Seltmann were the core of that crew really.

That is very misinformed opinion..you seem very negative for some reason and don't pigeon hole music fans as triple j/hipster, the supposed hipster crowd is probably mostly just a diverse music fan like you or me, so that is rediculously naive to the diversity of music fans, I go into this new album not expecting a classic like SILY, but hopefully come out of it with a bunch of great songs and it's nice to have a new album...

In those 16 years, they told Zane Lowe during an interview on Wednesday that they've had a lot of projects on the go, and a massive vault of music, a play, fashion show, calloborations, running a nightclub called BRAINz, and distractions, that a follow up album has just never come to a completion until now. That's probably 5 years total of actual start to finish out of 16 years...(my point: the band haven't spent 16 years working on an album, it's probably 3-5 years total as well as other projects)

Robbie has always been the core of the studio crew...he's listed as the number one contributor on every Since I Left You track...

Darren was a huge part of Since I Left You, no doubt about it. He's listed along with Robbie on most of the music for that record. He was amazing during that period and a founding member...very cool guy..they don't call it bobby-dazzler for nothing...Tony was great as well on SILY and Gordy of course, who has since left..

Dexter was a very small part of their studio works, he worked on Frontier Psychiatrist, which was actually a Robbie/Darren/Tony song...(the band as it currently stands, with James/Tony/Robbie)..Dexter played live with the band though..

As for disliking the song, fair enough, not everyone will enjoy it, as it has rap and isn't the breezy summery sounds of SILY...

However I think most of the new record will be more summery and interesting, it's a double album after all..

I'd rather listen to the album before feeling dissapointed...

There is a lot of promise in the two songs that have been previewed since the single came out..

It's just great to have a new album, Even if it's just ordinary, I am happy they've been able to release a follow up as long as it's fun and enjoyable, doesn't have to be a classic..

Getting bent out of shape over this new single which is actually fun and interesting song in terms of samples and the concept of a crazy carnival soundtrack seems a bit whatever, who says you had to like it. I'm sure lots of people hated the SILY singles if its not their taste..it's all subjective..

Last edited:
My first exposure to The Avalanches was through my childhood attachment to the Rage Top 50. I still remember that Frontier Psychiatrist video popping up for like a week on the Top 50 fringe in 2000 and finding it highly memorable and hilariously weird, then laughing with my friends about in coming weeks at school. Aussie hip hop and electro was bubbling away in the 90s (with Regurgitator in particular being my first "favourite band"), but I remember that it seemed to suddenly explode excitingly and more genuinely between 1999 and 2000, and it felt like the local Urban charts were almost born overnight.

The album was released a month or two later, but I didn't really pay much attention to them again until they swept the ARIAs 12 months later (which mildly surprised me at the time, as a 12yo). Then I rediscovered them years later during the obligatory high school grad summer addiction to frontier psychiatrist (a perfect period song for that time in your life). Even so, and despite the acclaim and a fondness for sample rich LPs, I've remained indifferent to The Avalanches over the years and never actually listened to Since I Left You beyond the singles. I was 19/20 in 2008 and looking back it would have been the perfect album for that time in music, and I'll have to take a serious look at it someday in terms of Great Australian albums, particularly given the novelty it is.

By the way, loving this resurging international relevance of Australian music of late. It's been building for a few years now, which is exciting. Gotye's massive hit maybe marks a transition to a more commercially recognised "interesting Australia" than the short-lived pop/rock explosions that occasionally grabbed American attention in the 90s and 00s, but one of the greatest benefits of recent digital transformation is that acts like The Avalanches, Tame Impala, Bad Seeds, Flume, Barnett, The Drones, Iggy, etc. all seem to be hot on the lips of the increasingly stateless international music appreciation hub. Australia has rarely felt this chic since the 80s.

Last edited:
That is very misinformed opinion..you seem very negative for some reason and don't pigeon hole music fans as triple j/hipster, the supposed hipster crowd is probably mostly just a diverse music fan like you or me, so that is rediculously naive to the diversity of music fans, I go into this new album not expecting a classic like SILY, but hopefully come out of it with a bunch of great songs and it's nice to have a new album...

In those 16 years, they told Zane Lowe during an interview on Wednesday that they've had a lot of projects on the go, and a massive vault of music, a play, fashion show, calloborations, running a nightclub called BRAINz, and distractions, that a follow up album has just never come to a completion until now. That's probably 5 years total of actual start to finish out of 16 years...(my point: the band haven't spent 16 years working on an album, it's probably 3-5 years total as well as other projects)

Robbie has always been the core of the studio crew...he's listed as the number one contributor on every Since I Left You track...

Darren was a huge part of Since I Left You, no doubt about it. He's listed along with Robbie on most of the music for that record. He was amazing during that period and a founding member...very cool guy..they don't call it bobby-dazzler for nothing...Tony was great as well on SILY and Gordy of course, who has since left..

Dexter was a very small part of their studio works, he worked on Frontier Psychiatrist, which was actually a Robbie/Darren/Tony song...(the band as it currently stands, with James/Tony/Robbie)..Dexter played live with the band though..

As for disliking the song, fair enough, not everyone will enjoy it, as it has rap and isn't the breezy summery sounds of SILY...

However I think most of the new record will be more summery and interesting, it's a double album after all..

I'd rather listen to the album before feeling dissapointed...

There is a lot of promise in the two songs that have been previewed since the single came out..

It's just great to have a new album, Even if it's just ordinary, I am happy they've been able to release a follow up as long as it's fun and enjoyable, doesn't have to be a classic..

Getting bent out of shape over this new single which is actually fun and interesting song in terms of samples and the concept of a crazy carnival soundtrack seems a bit whatever, who says you had to like it. I'm sure lots of people hated the SILY singles if its not their taste..it's all subjective..

You may well be right....it may well be a dud single....but like I said, after 16 years thats the first thing you want people to hear from you?

Loved the first album for what it's worth, so not a hater by any stretch, but can anyone honestly say they had there mind blown by that track? When you have released one of the all time great Australian albums, and then have people saying your first song in 16 years sounds like an insane clown posse track....yeah that's not a good thing.

Nobody is saying that it sounds like an ISP track, except for one person in this thread ..critics aren't saying that it's an ISP track, they are saying its electro swing ...

It's a nice song ...it sounds like el producto 1997 avalanches ..

I'd rather wait until I hear the album before getting all up in the air about anything yet..

I enjoyed the new single but yeah I'm hoping that we get better material on this new album. I'm relatively new to Avalanches (in fact as new as late last week) but I've listened to SILY countless times since then and I gotta say it's a masterpiece.

Danny Brown easily had the more interesting verse compared to DOOM.

It is a terrible song. It's trashy, boring, and a thin sampled is being spruiked – which is okay if you've written a good hook, but it's borrowed s**t. Honestly this will end up like mbv: everyone will be excited and say it's good, but seriously, in four years no one will care about it and less people will talk about their celebrated, big famed record.

My issue here is that such a hugely anticipated record has such bland, naff guests. I love Toro Y Moi, but seriously? Kirin J Callinan is a style over substance pretentious flog... eurgh.

And also Mootsy is this actually, really a double album? I haven't seen anyone but you mention it as such. It's just long.

In regards to the single, It's probably not going to live up to sixteen years of hype. I enjoy it, but i can see why others might not.

In regards to the album, GET HYPE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back