Remove this Banner Ad

The 3rd season of The Legend of Korra just wound up a couple of weeks ago, and it was a ripper.

Korra's had an interesting run, Season 1 was well received, introducing a more complex, adult world, but there were some problems with the resolution of it's X-men like plot.

Season 2 had some real issues as a new animation studio was substituted for the overworked brilliance Studio Mir. The new animation studio just wasn't quite up to Studio Mir's standard, and ratings dropped accordingly - happily, Studio Mir was re-employed from about the half-way point of Season 2, coinciding with a clearer direction in the plotting, and the season wound up extremely well with a cracker of a finale.

Season 3 was pretty consistently excellent, probably only half a rung below Avatar: the Last Airbender's Book 2 : Earth, which is high praise.
However, unfortunately there were episodes leaked just prior to the season airing, oddly prompting Nickelodeon to scale back their promotion for the season.
Eventually Nickelodeon pullled Korra from their tv line-up and the show is now only available online.
Happily, production for the scheduled 4th season has not been affected and the show will go on.

I love Avatar: the Last Airbender, but I worry that shows fans, bogged down in nostalgia, haven't given the creative team of Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko a fair viewing with Korra, which is every bit the Last Airbender's equal.

Season 3 is the best on of Korra IMO.

Smashed through Avatar the Last Air Bender pretty quickly, not a bad show, the structure and logic behind the bending is well explained and thought out, some elements are quite nice, and a few characters are pretty cool. The fight scenes are badass. Overall, I wouldn't say the show is amazing, it plays the tropes quite heavily and is mostly targetted towards a younger demographic, so the themes, characters and stories resemble that.

Now onto Legend of Korra.

And oh my goodness. The change in animation is absolutely astonishing. Only 4 episodes in, but enjoying it so far, particularly with the pro-bending story. A very cool game, and also well thought out as well. The character seems okay, but now I have to sit through another bratty teenager and watch her make mistake after mistake, until she finally ******* grows up.

Still waiting for better companions, maybe another female character please, Bo Lin and Maka? are okay so far.

Smashed through Avatar the Last Air Bender pretty quickly, not a bad show, the structure and logic behind the bending is well explained and thought out, some elements are quite nice, and a few characters are pretty cool. The fight scenes are badass. Overall, I wouldn't say the show is amazing, it plays the tropes quite heavily and is mostly targetted towards a younger demographic, so the themes, characters and stories resemble that.

Now onto Legend of Korra.

And oh my goodness. The change in animation is absolutely astonishing. Only 4 episodes in, but enjoying it so far, particularly with the pro-bending story. A very cool game, and also well thought out as well. The character seems okay, but now I have to sit through another bratty teenager and watch her make mistake after mistake, until she finally ******* grows up.

Still waiting for better companions, maybe another female character please, Bo Lin and Maka? are okay so far.

good assessment's of both shows, and I'm glad you've derived some enjoyment from them.
I've been similar in that I got through all of A:tLAB and Korra this year, and fortunately ended up right when season two of Korra was beginning; I've barely had to wait for any episodes.

Korra the character gets a hard rap imo; she's set up to be virtually the opposite of Aang; Aang had all the spiritual grounding and wisdom befitting an Avatar, but lacked the resolve to step up (until he did, of course).
Korra is very much gung-ho to step into her Avatar role, she feels ready and that she's being held back (especially in those early series).
But she very much has 'a lot to learn' in regards to the spiritual and wisdom side of things.

I will be careful not to 'spoil', but be I'm right up to date with Korra and always enjoy having a chat about those two shows, been a pretty big part of 2014 for me.

Oh, and it's 'Mako' :).

And, minor spoiler, I reckon there are heaps of good female characters in Korra, heaps.

Got through the first season. It was decent enough.

I saw someone people saying the show finally got a lot better come 3rd season, and thought, 2nd season can't be that bad.

I was wrong. I don't think any show has infuriated me as much as this 2nd season has. Everyone is just a dumbass. Korra is a dumbass. She's like, the least likable person in the show right now! Literally just fast forwarding through the terrible scenes where everyone has an IQ below 50. And now I'm up to episode 6. Almost halfway through, let this be over already....

Got through the first season. It was decent enough.

I saw someone people saying the show finally got a lot better come 3rd season, and thought, 2nd season can't be that bad.

I was wrong. I don't think any show has infuriated me as much as this 2nd season has. Everyone is just a dumbass. Korra is a dumbass. She's like, the least likable person in the show right now! Literally just fast forwarding through the terrible scenes where everyone has an IQ below 50. And now I'm up to episode 6. Almost halfway through, let this be over already....

hmm - yeah 2nd season of Korra copped a lot of flack for sure ...

I did like Varrick, and Eska and Desna ... and imo the 2nd half of the season picks up dramatically.

Oh, also; apparently the shows creators fell out with their animation studio, Studio Mir, during that first half of season 2, but were back on board by the back end of season 2.

There is a really two-parter coming up in season 2 (imo), episodes 7 & 8, 'Beginnings', which looks at the very first Avatar - but it's the amazing animation style Studio Mir use in these two episodes that is well worth checking out, quite different to anything they've done before or since.

So; stick with it!

L.O.K Finale came out today - great finale imo but wish they would make a 5th season
frown.gif
book 3 & 4 have been awesome, specially with the level headed Korra instead of the cocky Korra

One thing they got right throughout the series are the OSTs. Amazing OSTs using a mixture traditional asian/chinese instrument??? and western instruments.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

This is how i felt after watching the finale :cry: (listen to the OST if u've got 2 minutes to spare)

Amazing finale, and a great season. Probably just behind Change as my favourite of the lot.

Korrasami's real. Deal with it.

Not sure what Bryan and Michael are doing next, if the two of them are doing anything together at all. But I hope they go back to the Avatar universe at some point. Really is one of the more culturally significant shows we've ever had.

Bit of a bump and I'm a bit late, but both Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were great. I've been missing them for a couple of months now and I'm going to continue missing them for a while. I'll probably try to watch all the episodes again at some point soon.

Bit of a bump and I'm a bit late, but both Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were great. I've been missing them for a couple of months now and I'm going to continue missing them for a while. I'll probably try to watch all the episodes again at some point soon.

ha; I've heard a few reports of post-Korra blues - I regularly chuck a random episode of A:tLA on "for my daughter" ... then end up watching four :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back