Avenel / Longwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocket2007

Rookie
Jun 15, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there any truth to the rumour that Avenel and Longwood are on the verge of a merger for the coming 2008 season?

VT#23

Senior List
May 18, 2006
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
VTFNC
Is there any truth to the rumour that Avenel and Longwood are on the verge of a merger for the coming 2008 season?

would be good for longwood, but i dunno how most swans fans would feel bout the situation, would be a very strong two's team with longy having a few handy ones players as well.. might even help strengthen vt and naggas two's as well

cellar dweller

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 14, 2007
at the bottom
would be good for longwood, but i dunno how most swans fans would feel bout the situation, would be a very strong two's team with longy having a few handy ones players as well.. might even help strengthen vt and naggas two's as well
How is it good for Longwood but not good for Avenel?
One would think that because Avenel was in the league that a combined side would play Avenel would have a great deal to gain and Longwood would loose every thing.
Or are they to play in the B&D as a combined?
Longwood wernt too far off the pace last year so add a few players for Avenel and you would say they would have it in the bag.
Bonnie Doon may need a bit more than 2 drugo's coming in to match that one!
Maybe Tatong could combine with All Blacks to give them a run for their money!

GrassKat

Spec Moderator
Dec 15, 2006
Toolamba
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Murchison-Toolamba FNC
I would think that Longwood could compete alone in the KDFL. I hate to see clubs die. A merger between two clubs should always be a last resort.

On the plus side their colours of red and white would match together very well. I am picturing a red vee on a white jumper with some sort of an ALFC logo beneath it.

Before we speculate too much I'd like to hear a confirmation on this issue.

showy#1

Debutant
Aug 10, 2006
nagambie
AFL Club
Essendon
I would think that Longwood could compete alone in the KDFL. I hate to see clubs die. A merger between two clubs should always be a last resort.

On the plus side their colours of red and white would match together very well. I am picturing a red vee on a white jumper with some sort of an ALFC logo beneath it.

Before we speculate too much I'd like to hear a confirmation on this issue.
mate seen longwood footy they would be attrocious in the kdfl sorry mate

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
I would much rather have both of them remain inderpendant, but if both clubs decide that this is the best way to go (and it seems that this is still way off even if this rumour is true), then I wish them all the best.

BTW, I think that both clubs may have merged many decades ago, and were called Avenel-Longwood (can anyone from Avenel confirm this ?), until they decided to split, so there could be a precedent there.

Because they're pretty close by, and they wear the same colours so that's not a problem, but I see a problem in that Longwood is the Junior club in this potential merger, then they would have the most to lose in terms of identity & games at Longwood.

But, in any case nothing's been confirmed as yet.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would much rather have both of them remain inderpendant, but if both clubs decide that this is the best way to go (and it seems that this is still way off even if this rumour is true), then I wish them all the best.

BTW, I think that both clubs may have merged many decades ago, and were called Avenel-Longwood (can anyone from Avenel confirm this ?), until they decided to split, so there could be a precedent there.

Because they're pretty close by, and they wear the same colours so that's not a problem, but I see a problem in that Longwood is the Junior club in this potential merger, then they would have the most to lose in terms of identity & games at Longwood.

But, in any case nothing's been confirmed as yet.

dont clubs normally merge when their club is really struggling. to my knowledge, avenel seniors just missed the finals, both thirds and ressies made the finals. thirds won 2 premierships 2 and 3 years back. to me that sounds like a club in really good shape and merger would be ridiculous. as for longwood, dont know a lot about them.

Rocket2007

Rookie
Jun 15, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
dont clubs normally merge when their club is really struggling. to my knowledge, avenel seniors just missed the finals, both thirds and ressies made the finals. thirds won 2 premierships 2 and 3 years back. to me that sounds like a club in really good shape and merger would be ridiculous. as for longwood, dont know a lot about them.
Longwwod had a pretty successful season last season. Seniors just missed out by 2 points of making a Grand Final. Longwood 2nds won a premiership and dominated for most of the season. From what i can tell Longwood are upset with the treatment they have received by the league (inconsistencies from the tribunal). many players are also becoming a little fed up with having to play each team 5 or 6 times in a season. i think a merger or even just a straight move to a duiffarent league would be quite beneficial to both clubs as long as Longwood doesnt lose its identity and fair share of matches in Longwood.

Bonge69

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
Ellen Francis Hotel
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
VT Walker Shield XI
Haha exactly whoever said that they were merging is just an idiot, they used to be together but now avenal dont need support from a B+D team

sostheboss

Debutant
Apr 19, 2007
Ellen Francis Hotel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Walker Shield XI
Longwwod had a pretty successful season last season. Seniors just missed out by 2 points of making a Grand Final. Longwood 2nds won a premiership and dominated for most of the season. From what i can tell Longwood are upset with the treatment they have received by the league (inconsistencies from the tribunal). many players are also becoming a little fed up with having to play each team 5 or 6 times in a season. i think a merger or even just a straight move to a duiffarent league would be quite beneficial to both clubs as long as Longwood doesnt lose its identity and fair share of matches in Longwood.

Dominating the BDFL is no claim to fame. they would have to lift a lot to enter a better leauge.

sostheboss

Debutant
Apr 19, 2007
Ellen Francis Hotel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Walker Shield XI
You will have to lift a lot to stay in there!
Or are you looking to come back down?
Going on results it looks to be a good option!

They havn't gone anywhere yet chief.:eek:

Anyway as if Avenel would even consider merging with a second rate BDFL club. None of the Longwood players would get a senior game at Avenel anyway.

TuskenRaider

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Jundland Wastes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tatooine Tigers
They havn't gone anywhere yet chief.:eek:

Anyway as if Avenel would even consider merging with a second rate BDFL club. None of the Longwood players would get a senior game at Avenel anyway.
Congratulations for the stupidest post on BF I've read for quite a while, suprisingly even better than your previous post.

If you think no Longwood players would get a game in Avenel's side you are kidding yourself.

Avenel may not even consider merging with Longwood, and vice verca, but what's your point calling them "a second rate BDFL club"?

Obviously you're from VT, so just have a look up at your honour boards and see what league VT used to play in. Going by your logic, the TFL should never have allowed a "second rate BDFL club" to join their league either. But they did, and it worked out well for the club. Ever heard of the word "irony"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sostheboss

Debutant
Apr 19, 2007
Ellen Francis Hotel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Walker Shield XI
Congratulations for the stupidest post on BF I've read for quite a while, suprisingly even better than your previous post.

If you think no Longwood players would get a game in Avenel's side you are kidding yourself.

Avenel may not even consider merging with Longwood, and vice verca, but what's your point calling them "a second rate BDFL club"?

Obviously you're from VT, so just have a look up at your honour boards and see what league VT used to play in. Going by your logic, the TFL should never have allowed a "second rate BDFL club" to join their league either. But they did, and it worked out well for the club. Ever heard of the word "irony"?

firstly have a look at what i have underlined. We're in a leauge that people actually respect. while your still playing little leauge. we were obviously smart enough to get out of a crap leauge.

Secondly there is only second rate teams in the BDFL. :(

ahh well at least the B+D assures all the S#$T! stays in the one place.:thumbsu:

TuskenRaider

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Jundland Wastes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tatooine Tigers
firstly have a look at what i have underlined. We're in a leauge that people actually respect. while your still playing little leauge. we were obviously smart enough to get out of a crap leauge.

Secondly there is only second rate teams in the BDFL. :(

ahh well at least the B+D assures all the S#$T! stays in the one place.:thumbsu:

Get your head out of your backside tiger. I had a quick look at what you underlined. Doesn't change anything, VT didn't dominate "the crap B&D" when they were in it. Were they second rate, then first rate all of a sudden when they went into the TFL? If you read what I posted I said the move was good for the club.

1. Don't make assumptions on people based on the fact they've backed up a club in the B&D.

2. The KDFL may be a league that people respect. But it's all a matter of relativity. The B&D may not be the best footy league going around, but the clubs are having a go and getting players out having a kick who most likely wouldn't otherwise. No different to plenty of players in the KDFL either.

3. Get over yourself, all you're doing is giving VT a bad name (no doubt it's not your intention but that's all you're achieving).

Tradward

Debutant
Mar 1, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
St Kilda
Get your head out of your backside tiger. I had a quick look at what you underlined. Doesn't change anything, VT didn't dominate "the crap B&D" when they were in it. Were they second rate, then first rate all of a sudden when they went into the TFL? If you read what I posted I said the move was good for the club.

1. Don't make assumptions on people based on the fact they've backed up a club in the B&D.

2. The KDFL may be a league that people respect. But it's all a matter of relativity. The B&D may not be the best footy league going around, but the clubs are having a go and getting players out having a kick who most likely wouldn't otherwise. No different to plenty of players in the KDFL either.

3. Get over yourself, all you're doing is giving VT a bad name (no doubt it's not your intention but that's all you're achieving).

too true.

bob30

Draftee
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
Take it easy guy's !! To be honest I have not heard a whisper about a possible Avenel/Longwood merger. From what I can see both clubs are functioning quite well at the moment. As previously stated a merger would only be a last resort. I would however be quite open to the possibility of Longwood joining the KDFL. They may struggle to begin with but I would expect they would soon learn the requirements to compete at a slightly higher level.

nath#1

Draftee
Jan 29, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
if longwood keep thier youg talen in stevens!!! very good footballer he will only get better aswell!!! umthe brain boys have been good for the club!!! um who else they got a few others that have a dip i dont no how old he is but varczie good footballer very har at it!!! aaron bolton was a very good junior if he sticks around and gets a couple of his mates there that will be a plus!!!! ummm who else??? heard andrew melloury is coming to have a kick was a veery good u/18 player at seymour players like this could attract a few of his mates and longwood could build quiet a strong list!!!!!:):thumbsu:

cellar dweller

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 14, 2007
at the bottom
if longwood keep thier youg talen in stevens!!! very good footballer he will only get better aswell!!! umthe brain boys have been good for the club!!! um who else they got a few others that have a dip i dont no how old he is but varczie good footballer very har at it!!! aaron bolton was a very good junior if he sticks around and gets a couple of his mates there that will be a plus!!!! ummm who else??? heard andrew melloury is coming to have a kick was a veery good u/18 player at seymour players like this could attract a few of his mates and longwood could build quiet a strong list!!!!!:):thumbsu:
Their really starting to build that list bud. Only got done by 20 goals on the weekend and didnt field a 2s side. Looking at this years results seems apart from the first round they have only beaten Swanpool who havent won a game in 10 years:D. Lucky for Longwood they get to play them 10 times a year:D.
Not sure why you posted on this thread as it seems your not talking of a Longwood/Avenel merger.
Might have been better posted on the B&D thread. It needs a bit of life to it.

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Their really starting to build that list bud. Only got done by 20 goals on the weekend and didnt field a 2s side. Looking at this years results seems apart from the first round they have only beaten Swanpool who havent won a game in 10 years:D. Lucky for Longwood they get to play them 10 times a year:D.
Not sure why you posted on this thread as it seems your not talking of a Longwood/Avenel merger.

Good on ya nath#1 for the flying the flag and pumping up ya mates from Seymour/Avenel who have gone up to help Finchy out with numbers this season.

Joeyboy

Senior List
Apr 28, 2006
Tooborac
AFL Club
St Kilda

Surely not Tommy Stevens ??? i didnt see his name on the transfer list from avenel. Longwood would of had to of learnt there lesson after playing two of doona's boys under dodgys earlier this year.

crocket17

Debutant
Apr 8, 2008
GV
AFL Club
Collingwood

You might be better not posting at all w4nker.
This bloke got on here to fly the flag for his side and you've just bagged the sh1t out of him. Easy to do when you seem to have no loyalties, considering you trout your sh1t on nearly every country footy league site in Vic. Do you even play footy?
P1ss off unless you have something constructive to say.

cellar dweller

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 14, 2007
at the bottom
You might be better not posting at all w4nker.
This bloke got on here to fly the flag for his side and you've just bagged the sh1t out of him. Easy to do when you seem to have no loyalties, considering you trout your sh1t on nearly every country footy league site in Vic. Do you even play footy?
P1ss off unless you have something constructive to say.
I would think you would find he is the one bagging out Longwood. I was posting the facts.
!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back