Movie Avengers - Endgame

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
60189706_10156923600266885_810270907812544512_n.jpg

s**t.

He should have used the time stone to see the future, then he would've known the Avengers would sabotage his plan with time travel.
Lol
Would never have destroyed the stones then would he

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Maybe he did check?

It seems in the MCU you can't see THE future only the possible futures and so maybe if he keeps the stones there's like a 50/50 chance of the snap being reversed. For arguments sake say there was no action he could take to make it a true impossibility, then 14,000,605 to 1 seems like pretty decent odds, maybe he thought that was close enough.

Another possibility is that he just didn't have the level of skill with the time stone that Dr Strange has, who has already lived with it and used it, for an unknown number of years/lives because of the events in his movie, plus whatever other experience he's had with it. He is able to use it more effectively than even the Ancient One who 'missed' things when looking forward in time. I could probably be talked into the idea that Thanos, having only owned the time stone briefly (and by then having other stones to worry about as well) could do the blunt force needed to manipulate recent time but that Dr Strange had a whole different skill level that enables him to experience millions of multiple timelines?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Damn guess my wife is a lame non regular.

Any tips on getting her to be more normal and angry and Hollywood putting in scenes with women?

Yeah, tell her to marry a real man, then she'll feel like she doesn't need lame Hollywood scenes to make her feel good about being a woman.

There is no sisterhood.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Saw it again today, so here’s a few extra thoughts.

- Still amazing
- The first 30mins or so had some extraordinary good acting from all. RDJ, Renner, Johansson, Rudd to name a few
- Specifically want to point out RDJ’s acting in this movie. I thought this showed how much talent this dude has, would not be surprised at a Best Actor nomination for him.
- Still a little bit disappointed in the portrayal of Thor and I think after his talk with his mum he should have lost the fat
- I wasn’t happy with Sam over Bucky for the shield on first viewing but on the second, it’s clear that Bucky wouldn’t want it nor would feel worthy after all he has done. Captain America has got to be the ultimate good guy.
- On second viewing the whole Cap time travel issue at the end of the movie actually seemed quite clear to me. When Banner was getting the Time Stone in New York, the Ancient One clearly said that alternate realities are created when Infinity Stones are taken out of the timeline, she didn’t mention anything else causing alternate realities. With Cap returning the Stones to the exact time they were taken, alternate realities are avoided and there is again only one timeline, which is why Cap is able to spend his life with Peggy and then walk over to the bench to wait for his friends.

Last edited:

- Still amazing
- The first 30mins or so had some extraordinary good acting from all. RDJ, Renner, Johansson, Rudd to name a few
- Specifically want to point out RDJ’s acting in this movie. I thought this showed how much talent this dude has, would not be surprised at a Best Actor nomination for him.
- Still a little bit disappointed in the portrayal of Thor and I think after his talk with his mum he should have lost the fat
- I wasn’t happy with Sam over Bucky for the shield on first viewing but on the second, it’s clear that Bucky wouldn’t want it nor would feel worthy after all he has done. Captain America has got to be the ultimate good guy.
- On second viewing the whole Cap time travel issue at the end of the movie actually seemed quite clear to me. When Banner was getting the Time Stone in New York, the Ancient One clearly said that alternate realities are created when Infinity Stones are taken out of the timeline, she didn’t mention anything else causing alternate realities. With Cap returning the Stones to the exact time they were taken, alternate realities are avoided and there is again only one timeline, which is why Cap is able to spend his life with Peggy and then walk over to the bench to wait for his friends.
Agreed on all points.
Which is why Infinity War is the superior movie.
Russo’s could have made EndGame the GOAT but dropped the ball on one too many an occasion. Sad.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

- Still amazing

Cap giving his shield to Falcon is just following the comics.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

- Still amazing
As Cracked pointed out, to avoid an alternate reality, Cap would have to spend 70 years not getting involved in any of the atrocities happening at the time, which goes against his character completely. This includes not telling Peggy that the organisation she runs is just a front for Hydra. Time travel is tricky business and this falls down just like most time travel movies.

Good fun though.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As Cracked pointed out, to avoid an alternate reality, Cap would have to spend 70 years not getting involved in any of the atrocities happening at the time, which goes against his character completely. This includes not telling Peggy that the organisation she runs is just a front for Hydra. Time travel is tricky business and this falls down just like most time travel movies.

Good fun though.

Cap got the dance with Peggy - remember in his timeline he was under ice throughout her life, so he couldn't have interfered in her life without upsetting that timeline.

He did get married though, but to who?? The only way he could do anything like that was to marry someone also from 'the future' so as to not affect the 'past.

My theory - he had enough pills to travel each of the stones and back home. He ended up one short. Why?

In returning the stones, the 'future' Natasha came back. He gave her his last pill, they both went back to Peggy time, returned the final stone, and then lived a peaceful life away from civilisation. Romanoff got old and died, cap lived on due to his super serum.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cap got the dance with Peggy - remember in his timeline he was under ice throughout her life, so he couldn't have interfered in her life without upsetting that timeline.

He did get married though, but to who?? The only way he could do anything like that was to marry someone also from 'the future' so as to not affect the 'past.

My theory - he had enough pills to travel each of the stones and back home. He ended up one short. Why?

In returning the stones, the 'future' Natasha came back. He gave her his last pill, they both went back to Peggy time, returned the final stone, and then lived a peaceful life away from civilisation. Romanoff got old and died, cap lived on due to his super serum.

Not bad at all.

Should have got you to help write a better Endgame.

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The future Cap can co-exist in the past with the past Cap - just like how we seen with when they chased the stones in the Avengers throwback scene.

Cap could effectively have his cake and eat it too - the one from Endgame gets to grow old with Peggy whilst the one from the past still gets frozen to become the Cap from Endgame.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
The future Cap can co-exist in the past with the past Cap - just like how we seen with when they chased the stones in the Avengers throwback scene.

Cap could effectively have his cake and eat it too - the one from Endgame gets to grow old with Peggy whilst the one from the past still gets frozen to become the Cap from Endgame.

IMO not without being in an alternate timeline, if old cap lived his life in the main timeline and lived it with Peggy what happened to her original husband and kids? It would be changing history which the movie says breaks its version of the rules.

He could have his life with Peggy in another timeline and then cross back or he could hide out in this timeline it would just have to mean that that was always what had happened, nothing is changed, its just that no one ever knew.

I kind of like the Romanoff suggestion. I thought myself that CA's smile and choosing to keep his life private might be a hint that it wasn't as simple as living happpily ever after with Peggy, of course it could just as easily be because Chris Evans is done they were happy to leave a few things to the audience's imagination, but maybe he just needed that first date to be able to move on and saving Romanoff would suit Steve Rogers and his relationship with Romanoff, no soldier left behind.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Has Peggy's husband ever been shown in the MCU? Time travel is a loop, perhaps Cap was always meant to go back and marry her.

No it hasn’t, and quite likely deliberately so. The Winter Soldier scene had some photo frames next to her bed, with pictures of her and children etc.

Omitted from that was her husband. The writers confirmed it was intended to be Cap.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...-confirm-the-father-of-peggy-carters-children

Still leaves a question mark about the romantic angle with Sharon. But I don’t believe they followed the comics here where Sharon is Peggy’s granddaughter. Great niece I recall reading.

No it hasn’t, and quite likely deliberately so. The Winter Soldier scene had some photo frames next to her bed, with pictures of her and children etc.

Omitted from that was her husband. The writers confirmed it was intended to be Cap.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...-confirm-the-father-of-peggy-carters-children

Still leaves a question mark about the romantic angle with Sharon. But I don’t believe they followed the comics here where Sharon is Peggy’s granddaughter. Great niece I recall reading.

I heard this theory If u go back to their scene in civil war she says to him you look so young is suprised. We all assumed if was because she is seeing after so long but what if thats because she had already lived her life with him? Well that was one theory I heard but it doesnt add up because its different timeline.

Also i heard the russos call it a different universe that steve was able to travel through.

I dont think those details matter all that much to them or me.for that matter. As long as Cap got a happy ending in some form

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Same with Carter's interview in Winter Soldier where she talks about her husband, it's kept vague enough that she she could be having a private joke without giving the secret away.

"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve... Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would... who would become my husband as it turned out."

"...even after he died, Steve was still changing my life."

Still imo it doesn't really fit the their conversation just before Peggy died or that her husband Steve was willing to be away from her at the end and if that was the plan all along it makes the inclusion of the Sharon Carter character even weirder.

But it does mean if Chris Evans ever gets hard up for work they can bring back Agent Carter for a season 3 and have Carter and Rogers teaming up to solve crime.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I heard this theory If u go back to their scene in civil war she says to him you look so young is suprised. We all assumed if was because she is seeing after so long but what if thats because she had already lived her life with him? Well that was one theory I heard but it doesnt add up because its different timeline.

Also i heard the russos call it a different universe that steve was able to travel through.

I dont think those details matter all that much to them or me.for that matter. As long as Cap got a happy ending in some form
The Russos keep talking about it being an alternative timeline, but that goes against what the writers have been saying and what seems to be the whole intent of the film, which was to preserve the primary timeline. That's why they returned the stones, because creating an alternative timeline without the stones to protect them was dangerous. That's why they went with the five-year gap. Of course, retaining the primary timeline just creates a grandfather paradox because if Thanos left the timeline in 2014 to travel to the future, he didn't exist in 2018 to snap his fingers. As I said, time travel is tricky.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
The Russos keep talking about it being an alternative timeline, but that goes against what the writers have been saying and what seems to be the whole intent of the film, which was to preserve the primary timeline. That's why they returned the stones, because creating an alternative timeline without the stones to protect them was dangerous. That's why they went with the five-year gap. Of course, retaining the primary timeline just creates a grandfather paradox because if Thanos left the timeline in 2014 to travel to the future, he didn't exist in 2018 to snap his fingers. As I said, time travel is tricky.

I agree with your first points but I don't think this creates a paradox or even that you can create a paradox in the MCU. AFAIK because the world experienced the snap, that happened, Thanos jumping from 2014-2023 has no affect on that, neither would going back in time and killing your dad, his dad and the dad before that. When you get back to your timeline your history is still intact.

What I am still not sure about is whether those actions create separate timelines that continue to exist after you leave or whether seperate timelines can only occur by removing stones. Personally I think it's the first one, which is basically the multiverse that the new Spider man movie looks to be exploring.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree with your first points but I don't think this creates a paradox or even that you can create a paradox in the MCU. AFAIK because the world experienced the snap, that happened, Thanos jumping from 2014-2023 has no affect on that, neither would going back in time and killing your dad, his dad and the dad before that. When you get back to your timeline your history is still intact.

What I am still not sure about is whether those actions create separate timelines that continue to exist after you leave or whether seperate timelines can only occur by removing stones. Personally I think it's the first one, which is basically the multiverse that the new Spider man movie looks to be exploring.
This is why I don't think time travel works in the film. They make the point that if you go back in time, it becomes your present and the future becomes your past, which you can't change (I actually loved that interpretation). But Thanos leaves in 2014 before he has done anything, the finger snap is his future and not his past, taking him out of the timeline (and the movie seems at pains to point out it's the same timeline) just creates an unworkable paradox.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
This is why I don't think time travel works in the film. They make the point that if you go back in time, it becomes your present and the future becomes your past, which you can't change (I actually loved that interpretation). But Thanos leaves in 2014 before he has done anything, the finger snap is his future and not his past, taking him out of the timeline (and the movie seems at pains to point out it's the same timeline) just creates an unworkable paradox.

Yeah as fun as it is to do the past scenes and its also the sort of movie to sit back, enjoy and give them some leeway. Still I could have done without them opening up the time travel pandora's box. But if the 2014 minus Thanos continued along as a seperate timeline, creating a different reality that will not have the snap, is there a paradox?

Back