Games & Recreation Average time to run 2.5km?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions.
Depends on a number of variables; how often you run, how far you normally run, how fit you are, how hilly the track is, your age, weight, etc.

I run usually 3 times a week, of distances between 8 to 21 kms. On average my pace is about 12.5km/hr, which is ~2.1 km per 10 mins.
However, if the run was only a 2.5 km "sprint" as opposed to the longer distances that I normally run, then I'm quite sure I could run 2.5km in under 10 mins. Not quite AFL footballer pace but then I'm no longer AFL footballer age anymore either :)
This article would indicate that a decent time around The Tan (3.84kms) for an AFL player is between 13-14 minutes, so if you take 13mins30secs as an average, then on that pace they would be running 2.5kms in about 8mins47secs.

Do the run first, time it, and then that can be your benchmark. Try and beat your best every time you run.

I would say anytime around 10 mins.

Ive run the 2k twice and my times were

1st time : 9.31
2nd time :8.33

I see the 2nd one as a fair time considering thats about 4.17 per K with my best 1k being 3.43.

Id say start off with 2k and then rise to 2.5k.

I went for a really short run today, also not running as fast as I could have and ran 2kms in 10 minutes, so i reckon about 9.30 would be a good 2.5kms if you are fit.

depends on so many factors.

They say 5km should be 22m for moderately better than average fitness. So 2.5 Km should be around about 10 to 10:30.

I ran 10km with reasonable fitness in 45minutes, I was pretty well placed in the group, with the best time being 39 minutes.

So my answer would be 10 minutes for 2.5km cos you should be able to push out the last 500m

I'm 185 cm, 102 kg, 18 year old.
I regularaly do 2.4 km runs as a benchmark for my job. Results were:
10.10 - first time
9.30 - heavy training 2 weeks
8.50 - heavy training 9 weeks
9.10 - had stopped heavy training for about 3 weeks
9.50 - light training, boozing increasing
10.30 - light training, boozing increasing further
10.50 - light training, boozing peaking at unhealthy levels

so as you can see it doesn't take much to train up to a fairly good standard but it also doesn't take alot for results to drop either. These results were recorded over about a 10 month period with the run being conducted every couple of months.

Moral of the story, KEEP UP THE TRAINING!!

10.10 - first time

so as you can see it doesn't take much to train up to a fairly good standard but it also doesn't take alot for results to drop either. These results were recorded over about a 10 month period with the run being conducted every couple of months.

Army, Navy, RAAF?

For the terms you used 'decent , average' , 5 minute kilometres come to mind.
So I would say 12:30 for 2 and a half kilometres is decent , without being anything special , or above average.

10.10 - first time

Hi I'm a 15 year old girl and it takes me 11mins 8sec to complete 2.5km is that good ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bumping this as I'm getting back into running after a few years without weekend footy and replacing them with many beers.

Did my first timed run and did 2.5k in 13.22 (although I know I would have been in the 12's if I wasn't sore from yesterday's run)

What's time would be considered a high fitness? I'm assuming I want to get sub 10, but 12-13 would mean I'm not unfit?

Depends on a number of factors. If George flloyd is chasing with a boner, a few seconds.

If Micheal myers is chasing you, you'll fall Over and he'll walk it faster than you.

If mick Taylor is chasing you, you might as well give up, he's a winnar and blow your head off with 5 meters to go.

People benchmarking their pace against others is one of the worst things about the running and cycling community.

Benchmark against yourself and enjoy it. Fitness is fun not a pissing contest

In my youth at my fittest I used to go on 10 klm runs 2 to 3 times a week and it generally took 41/42 mins. ie a tad above 4min per klm .

The Swans and for that matter the draft combine do a 2klm time trial. The upper times are around the 6 min mark. That is pretty elite at a pace of 3 min per klm so work back from that to find something more comfortable. I'd say around 4 min per klm or 8 min total is a target. Of course contour makes a difference too. Factor that in. Hope that helps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back