Analysis "Awareness" - being aware of what it really means!

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's a new hip word in town, and it's being used by the Adelaide Crows hierarchy/staff quite often in these past few weeks. Yep, you guessed it...."awareness"!

What does this really mean? Is it actually good or bad? Are we as fans, happy/sad/afraid/don't know when we hear it being raised "he is having awareness..."?

Awareness Hall of Fame 2018

Walker (hamstring awareness) - miss 1 game...pending whether he plays this next round

Mackay (glutes awareness) - played the following week

Milera (back of knee awareness) - TBA

Last edited:
Depends on how gullible you are.

To some it’s just a bullshit excuse, it’s an injury but they don’t want to admit it. This spin part of the club annoys me.

To others they lap it up and somehow think it’s not really an injury even though the player misses game time.

To me, "awareness" is simply better player management. My gut feel is that "awareness" is perhaps replacing the word "niggle", and especially for players who have had a history of injury(s) in the past.
In the past, "niggles" is a soreness somewhere and you'd play the next week with a slight drop in peak performance eg. 90-95%.
So with "awareness" it's more a trade-off perhaps:
- 1 week off playing
- return the following week in more better shape, say 96-100%

As I said, depends on how gullible you are. Starting a thread to point that out is not the smartest move.

To me, "awareness" is simply better player management. My gut feel is that "awareness" is perhaps replacing the word "niggle", and especially for players who have had a history of injury(s) in the past.
In the past, "niggles" is a soreness somewhere and you'd play the next week with a slight drop in peak performance eg. 90-95%.
So with "awareness" it's more a trade-off perhaps:
- 1 week off playing
- return the following week in more better shape, say 96-100%

Nup, niggles results in "management". Although, I think we'll see a bit more of both this terms being used. It implies positive decision making as opposed to reacting to injury. Much more palatable to the masses.

As I said, depends on how gullible you are. Starting a thread to point that out is not the smartest move.
You should perhaps reconsider your stance in that your opinions doesn't speak on behalf of all members. Sometimes, I want to see others' opinions instead of only yours and Sanders'. ;)

You should perhaps reconsider your stance in that your opinions doesn't speak on behalf of all members. Sometimes, I want to see others' opinions instead of only yours and Sanders'. ;)
Good luck with that.

fact is your insights are just too boring. you can't offer vacuous, childlike observations and expect others to be enthralled by the depth of your thinking.

Depends on how gullible you are.

To some it’s just a bullshit excuse, it’s an injury but they don’t want to admit it. This spin part of the club annoys me.

To others they lap it up and somehow think it’s not really an injury even though the player misses game time.

I tend to agree. I am finding it hard to follow the statements from the club. It is very much coming across as a buzz word with no substance. I get perhaps risking players against mediocre opposition isn't worth risking the clubs investments in its players if their is a remote risk of increasing the awareness of a problem to a multi week injury. However, surely 22 players in better than 21 in a game and sitting players on the bench to manage awareness is over thinking things unless they have a specific injury.

I tend to agree. I am finding it hard to follow the statements from the club. It is very much coming across as a buzz word with no substance. I get perhaps risking players against mediocre opposition isn't worth risking the clubs investments in its players if their is a remote risk of increasing the awareness of a problem to a multi week injury. However, surely 22 players in better than 21 in a game and sitting players on the bench to manage awareness is over thinking things unless they have a specific injury.
They do have an injury though, Tex missed the next week with a hammy and Milera will miss. Whether it’s minor or major, if the player misses a game it’s an injury.

It’s total PR and I would love to know who came up with it and who was against it.

They do have an injury though, Tex missed the next week with a hammy and Milera will miss. Whether it’s minor or major, if the player misses a game it’s an injury.

It’s total PR and I would love to know who came up with it and who was against it.

lol as I said I agree. It was my long winded way of saying if its an injury just say its an injury even if its the most minor end of the scale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've added the "Awareness Hall of Fame 2018" in the OP post. If anyone hear of the word "awareness" coming from the mouths of Crows staff, then post it here and I'll add to the list of "Awareness hall of famers". Would be interesting to track this, and see whether how we're changing our stance on management is actually making overall less injuries or not.

fact is your insights are just too boring. you can't offer vacuous, childlike observations and expect others to be enthralled by the depth of your thinking.
Perhaps boring, not for me to comment. But hopefully they promote for healthy discussions. Your insights? Likely to promote rage wars and cyber rage! :p

Awareness is a good thing. That's why we're always raising money for things like breast cancer awareness.

I can only assume that if Tex missed a game because of hamstring awareness he must have been off somewhere fundraising for hamstrings.

Tbh I only care about who is in the team for a given match, that is all that really matters. The club may or may not be mismanaging things but there is sfa I can do about if it they are. There is acknowledgment of a problem so I guess that is good.

Too much spin from the club.

Admit there's a problem (more than trivial) And get to work fixing it.

I hate being lied to.

Same with Dangerfield/Lever and soon to be Sloane.
Stop the spin ... just come out and admit they were/are giving serious consideration to going home.

Stop the lying, just give me the bad news up front, get to work fixing the problem ... and it'll be less distracting in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back