Roast Away games no longer guaranteed to be live on FTA into Adelaide, 3 games on 2 hour delay in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't even see the point of broadcasting an AFL match at all if it's on a three-hour delay. In this day and age, people are not going to shut themselves out from their mates, family and Bigfooty for that amount of time, especially not when you can easily listen live on the radio.

The sheer length of that delay shows that we are being taken for mugs.

I don't even see the point of broadcasting an AFL match at all if it's on a three-hour delay. In this day and age, people are not going to shut themselves out from their mates, family and Bigfooty for that amount of time, especially not when you can easily listen live on the radio.

You're being taken for potential customers

You basically have to not look at your phone or use the internet until you've watched the game.

I'd guess that Ch7 and/or their advertisers see value in replaying the game. If there's no advertisers then they'll drop the delayed telecast. It's purely commercial, nobody is being taken for a mug. I can't wait for the thread to open complaining about no replay at all. I'd consider changing my avatar from Ralph to the Foxtel logo. The outcry would be brilliant.

I'd guess that Ch7 and/or their advertisers see value in replaying the game. If there's no advertisers then they'll drop the delayed telecast. It's purely commercial, nobody is being taken for a mug. I can't wait for the thread to open complaining about no replay at all. I'd consider changing my avatar from Ralph to the Foxtel logo. The outcry would be brilliant.

Not about the logo, about the lack of delayed replay.

Not about the logo, about the lack of delayed replay.

Personally, I wouldn't care if they dropped the delayed telecasts. To me, a 3-hour delayed telecast is useless anyway. Half an hour is okay (though I still wouldn't watch), but three hours is ancient history for my intents and purposes. Radio serves me well when I'm not near a TV.

Personally, I wouldn't care if they dropped the delayed telecasts. To me, a 3-hour delayed telecast is useless anyway. Half an hour is okay (though I still wouldn't watch), but three hours is ancient history for my intents and purposes. Radio serves me well when I'm not near a TV.

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but I still record the games even though I'm watching it live.

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but I still record the games even though I'm watching it live.
If I'm at the game I'll record it and watch it the next day (I find it gives me a different perspective compared to watching it at the game).

If it's on TV live I'll generally record it and start watching after about 30 mins so I can fast forward all the ad breaks. I normally catch up to the live game in the last quarter, so it just means I avoid watching 30 minutes of ads.

I always laugh at the amount of people that complain about the lack of FTA telecasting of football especially when they blame Foxtel for it.

People conveniently seem to forget that 7 only really care about Friday night football and they are the ones who are making the decision to hand more and more of the pie to Foxtel to keep their costs down.

I always laugh at the amount of people that complain about the lack of FTA telecasting of football especially when they blame Foxtel for it.

People conveniently seem to forget that 7 only really care about Friday night football and they are the ones who are making the decision to hand more and more of the pie to Foxtel to keep their costs down.

But, but, Foxtel have those boxes and all those useless channels. I simply won't pay for them.

I hope those who sign up for fox are going to enjoy those price hikes. I refuse to sign with fox because they double dip by showing adverts and charging top dollar for basic package. you get just as many adverts on FTA, shows are repeated far to often and to get anything decent you have to pay even more for exclusive channels. If fox ever wonders why netflix and stan are so popular, no ads and its cheap. People pay good money for memberships of their clubs yet they want to further screw the footy fan. Nah they can go fk themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope those who sign up for fox are going to enjoy those price hikes. I refuse to sign with fox because they double dip by showing adverts and charging top dollar for basic package. you get just as many adverts on FTA, shows are repeated far to often and to get anything decent you have to pay even more for exclusive channels. If fox ever wonders why netflix and stan are so popular, no ads and its cheap. People pay good money for memberships of their clubs yet they want to further screw the footy fan. Nah they can go fk themselves.

Look, I accept your personal view on the unbolded, but I fear you are referring to Foxtel in the bolded, i.e., the wrong target! It is the AFL who are doing the screwing by cadging these enormous sums from Foxtel et al., who have to make it up somehow.

I love watching nine games a week in HD no ads siren to siren. Happy to pay for it.

I find it interesting when people try and compare Foxtel with Netflix, they're chalk and cheese from both a technological and business stand point.

If you're happy to pay for it you're happy to pay for it, but as a society we can decide collectively what we value, and if footy is something that people want to be held as common and accessible for everyone, as something that nourishes communities and doesn't exclude by socioeconomic status, then it should be that.

It's Channel 7 who are creating the issue here.

Channel 7 could show as many games as they wanted to on free to air, but have chosen not to do so. They also had the ability to share the rights with another FTA network, but again have chosen not to do so.

Channel 7 have chosen instead to hand over a massive slice of the pie to Foxtel to keep their costs down and keep footy on free to air exclusive to Channel 7.

If you're happy to pay for it you're happy to pay for it, but as a society we can decide collectively what we value, and if footy is something that people want to be held as common and accessible for everyone, as something that nourishes communities and doesn't exclude by socioeconomic status, then it should be that.

We can can we? Good to know

I wonder how many people hate foxtel because of the premium yet are happy to download the s**t out of shows like Game of Thrones on TPB?
I wonder how many Australian downloaders of Game of Thrones used to happily buy episodes on iTunes as they came out but switched to pirating after Foxtel got it exclusively.

If it's on TV live I'll generally record it and start watching after about 30 mins so I can fast forward all the ad breaks. I normally catch up to the live game in the last quarter, so it just means I avoid watching 30 minutes of ads
Yes, that's very often what I do. Of course Mrs Arrowman is well aware of the wonders of modern technology, so I can no longer jump up from the dinner table saying "gotta go, the footy's started" :$

As for Foxtel - IMO their business is under serious threat from streaming services and sport is the only thing they have as a point of difference. With more and more houses having the option (via broadband) of a $10/month Stan or Netflix or whatever, why would you pay for Foxtel - unless you're a sports fanatic?

I think it's going to come to a crunch at some stage. Foxtel will get more and more desperate, they'll be willing to pay more and more for the rights, to keep their point of difference, but at some stage the bubble will burst and then what? Will it go back (more) to FTA TV? Will a future version of Stan or Netflix take it on? Will the AFL/clubs have to run their own streaming service to get the product out and $ in? Could get interesting. I don't think we'll see anything like the current model in 10 years' time or even less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back