Roast Away games no longer guaranteed to be live on FTA into Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't a new announcement , but somehow I don't recall seeing this
(And only found out about it when I found this thread on the Crows board )

What's more , the news article linked to in the OP below is no longer working ...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...aide-3-games-on-2-hour-delay-in-2017.1159010/

But here's a similar article
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-01/afl-coverage-in-sa-and-wa-suffers-a-blow/8314096

The West Coast Eagles and the Freemantle Dockers in Western Australia have suffered similar changes.
As annoyed as I am, the FreEmantle made me smile for a moment

I still remember when Friday night away games involving Eagles were delayed (in the days prior to HD channels )....but AFAIK other Eagles away games were always live into Perth on FTA ?

Guess I'll now be watching more games on my phone via the AFL app /making the most of my Telstra subscription urgh

(And mods - feel free to merge)

This isn't a new announcement , but somehow I don't recall seeing this
(And only found out about it when I found this thread on the Crows board )

What's more , the news article linked to in the OP below is no longer working ...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...aide-3-games-on-2-hour-delay-in-2017.1159010/

But here's a similar article
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-01/afl-coverage-in-sa-and-wa-suffers-a-blow/8314096

As annoyed as I am, the FreEmantle made me smile for a moment

I still remember when Friday night away games involving Eagles were delayed (in the days prior to HD channels )....but AFAIK other Eagles away games were always live into Perth on FTA ?

Guess I'll now be watching more games on my phone via the AFL app /making the most of my Telstra subscription urgh

(And mods - feel free to merge)
AFL website only has until round 12 in their tv schedule but the only game that it seems to effect is round 3 with a ridiculous 3 hour delay

AFL website only has until round 12 in their tv schedule but the only game that it seems to effect is round 3 with a ridiculous 3 hour delay
I'm on my mobile so this link isn't working for me http://m.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide
A 3 hour delay for an away game is ridiculous
(It would be bad enough for a home game , but the rarity of a true sell out makes it more justifiable )
I'm have a bad feeling that another 1-2 games will be affected in the second half of the year :mad:

Last edited:

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I've always been a fan of Channel 7's coverage, but I hope they die in a fiery pit from hell.

I'm still fuming that half the games we get won't be in HD, yet they're spruiking how they'll be showing all games in HD as part of the broadcast deal "and even started it earlier than required". Pfft. :mad:

I have Foxtel but this is a disgrace for those that can't afford it. All away games should be live on FTA.

As much as I hate some of the things that Foxtel do and their pricing, For me the AFL and F1 coverage during the winter and the NBL coverage during the summer make it essential for me.

Why are WA/SA special cases?

If you live in Victoria you only see your team on FTA if they are not part of the Foxel game allocation.
I'd say its because in WA and SA generally 95%a of the fans would be following one of the two state teams.

Melb has 10 teams to split so that's not really viable. Not sure what the deal with QLD and NSW would be considering how much air time they would split with NRL (even if ch7 vs ch9 as they prob don't want to have too many games over lapping)

I understand the angst but this really only puts us on the same footing as every other club, none of whom get to see their side live on free to air every week.
Yeah each time I think about having a sook over this I consider that being able to watch every Eagles game live (or an a half hour delay for those Sunday arvo games) was something of a rare privilege compared to fans of most other AFL clubs

It's annoying for sure but we can hardly complain about being hard done by - watching a non WA team whilst living in WA would be hell without Foxtel

Why are WA/SA special cases?

If you live in Victoria you only see your team on FTA if they are not part of the Foxel game allocation.

Because you can actually go to games in Victoria, generally there are about 4 games across a weekend at Etihad/MCG, so you still get to watch your team live.

Plus there is a bar on nearly every corner in Melbourne playing the game, if you wanted to watch on TV.

It would be terrible if games were not shown on FTA in WA, can't believe people would just fold over and let it happen.

Yeah each time I think about having a sook over this I consider that being able to watch every Eagles game live (or an a half hour delay for those Sunday arvo games) was something of a rare privilege compared to fans of most other AFL clubs

It's annoying for sure but we can hardly complain about being hard done by - watching a non WA team whilst living in WA would be hell without Foxtel
Its just the thin end of the wedge.The AFL are greedy pigs and would throttle their grandmas to make an extra buck.We used to get the preseason cup on FTA.....GONE!! Im willing to cop a half hour delay to a telecast but three hours?? Whose call is it ?AFL or 7?? This is supposed to be the peoples game;ha ha ha. Cant afford foxtel? TOUGH!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the angst but this really only puts us on the same footing as every other club, none of whom get to see their side live on free to air every week.
I don't agree. Ch7 have set slots in the fixture which they broadcast, however there is a less than equitable scheduling of clubs in the FTA slots. How this works out for WA / SA clubs, I'm not sure.

The AFL also insists on scheduling matches to fit in with the Victorian TV schedule; a Friday night match in Victoria starts at 7:50pm, in Adelaide it starts at 7:20pm, and in Perth it starts at 6:10pm. Traffic at 6pm vs 7pm suggests there are more people at work, or commuting from work at that time, meaning the WA broadcast clashes with that activity, whereas the Vic generally does not.

Also unlike WA / SA, if a Melbourne based club is playing 'away', like Melbourne in Rd1 or 3 and North in Rd2, it's quite easy to jump on a train to Etihad, pick up a ticket at the ground and watch the game live.

So that does not sould like supporters of the WA based teams are on the same footing. This move is simply to appease Foxtel, who want more subscribers in WA/SA because live sport is their big seller. But, Fooxtel still insist on bundling their $26 per month worth of junk channels to potential customers who only want their sport channel package ($26 for junk in SD vs $12 for Netflix in HD?), and the ludicrous $10pm HD charge.

The change is only going to affect a handful of away games - maybe three or four at most. Putting us in the same position as a Dees/Saints/Blues/whoever fan who miss out when their team travels interstate for a Fox-broadcast match - there'll be a few games where we absolutely cannot watch the game live without finding a TV that's showing Fox Footy.

I'll be going to the pub for those games.

The weird part is, no West Coast/Fremantle home games are on delay (well, up to round 11 as the broadcast guide only runs that deep).

Why this trade off to have home games live (Sunday afternoon games are almost always delayed)? Looks like the delayed away games are Saturday midday games. Perhaps Channel 7 didn't have decent ratings for these anyway?

What short memories people have. Let's go back to 1992, when we first won the flag.

11 away games: 9 x midday Sat/Sun, 1 x 5.40pm Sat, 1 x 5.40pm Fri
- I reckon the 9 midday games would've been live on 7, the Sat night game would've been delayed to 6.30 or 7.30 after the news, the Friday night game would've been on at 8.30

11 home games: 7 x 2.10pm Sat/Sun, 4 x 7.40pm Fri
- I reckon the day games would've been a mixture of 3pm starts and 4.30pm 'half either side of the news' starts, and the night games which were actually at night would've been on at 8.30

Channel 7 didn't GAF about Perth footy fans when they had the rights. Even now they'd rather put Friday night footy on 7Mate so people don't miss out on Better Homes & Gardens.

Better Homes & Gardens.
Hate that show so much. Entirely football related.

However, you gotta remember back in '92 there was limited internet. There was definitely no apps on your mobile that were going to spoil the game seconds after it finished. As long as you kept off the radio and the other channels you could get away with a TV delay.

I have short memory caused by a 1 and a 2.5 year old. Did Ch9 and 10 do much of this delay s**t?

I used to listen to games on the radio in the 90s if they were delayed. Also you needed to make sure you didn't watch the news or news updates on channels other than 7 because they'd just give away the score too.

Channel 10 never used to delay s**t on Saturdays (they also don't have 6pm news) but 9 didn't show Friday night footy live. Can't remember what 9 did on Sundays but I don't remember delays. There were still FTA blackouts until the 2012-2016 TV rights agreement started.

The change is only going to affect a handful of away games - maybe three or four at most. Putting us in the same position as a Dees/Saints/Blues/whoever fan who miss out when their team travels interstate for a Fox-broadcast match - there'll be a few games where we absolutely cannot watch the game live without finding a TV that's showing Fox Footy.

I'll be going to the pub for those games.
I don't have a problem with the odd game being on delay, it's the nearly 3 hour delay that annoys me.

Because you can actually go to games in Victoria, generally there are about 4 games across a weekend at Etihad/MCG, so you still get to watch your team live.

Plus there is a bar on nearly every corner in Melbourne playing the game, if you wanted to watch on TV.

It would be terrible if games were not shown on FTA in WA, can't believe people would just fold over and let it happen.

This exact same logic applies to Perth and most of the larger regional centers (Ironically, I live in one of the relatively big ones that doesn't have a Foxtel pub)

It's annoying, but I can see why this has finally happened. Doesn't bother me personally, as I have foxtel/would find a mates to watch it at, but yeah, WA still has it pretty good compared to regional Victorian Bob who gets to watch maybe 1/3rd of his teams games on free to air TV.

Comparing us to Victorian teams is silly, because there are 10 of them (so being able to broadcast them all on FTA is impossible, but they have other benefits eg the GF always being at the MCG, less travel , better timeslots and more away "home" games) .
Instead, we should be compared to the SA teams (who are also being affected, as I mentioned in the OP)
I suspect NSW/Queensland will continue to get games live .....

Comparing us to Victorian teams is silly, because there are 10 of them (so being able to broadcast them all on FTA is impossible
Between them ABC, SBS, Ch7, Ch9 and Ch10 have more than 9 FTA channels. I think that means broadcasting every game for a round, even if they were scheduled at the same time, is possible. The reality is it all comes down to money.

Between them ABC, SBS, Ch7, Ch9 and Ch10 have more than 9 FTA channels. I think that means broadcasting every game for a round, even if they were scheduled at the same time, is possible. The reality is it all comes down to money.
It's impossible with 1 or even 2 FTA channels (have we ever had more than 2?)
Of course it comes down to money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back