Autopsy Awesome, and some would say, unexpected win to the Pies over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, so long story short. The umpire guessed because one player took longer to get up. It was a crap call.
No, one player got hit in the head one in the shoulder. Accidental but that's the difference. You could argue play on but there was never a free for Murray.

The interpretation is always going to be based on who makes the wrong contact. If they both cause the contact it's no free.
Absolutely. The ump could have said both going for the ball, incidental contact and called play on, would have been acceptable. Still you can see where his interpretation has come from, there was clear head high contact to McGovern so the high contact free was able to be reasonably argued.

Its really not that big a deal for mine.

Absolutely. The ump could have said both going for the ball, incidental contact and called play on, would have been acceptable. Still you can see where his interpretation has come from, there was clear head high contact to McGovern so the high contact free was able to be reasonably argued.

Its really not that big a deal for mine.
I just don't like it when an ump has a guess. If it's no clear, don't rely on a guess or interpretation. Just call play on.

I just don't like it when an ump has a guess. If it's no clear, don't rely on a guess or interpretation. Just call play on.
Not sure where you are seeing a guess. Its all pretty self explanatory. They ran at the contest, both going for the ball. Murray's shoulder catches McGoverns cheek and McGovern goes down.

Umpire sees the head high contact and interprets it as a free kick. Nothing is guessed. Interpretation is what they do with every decision, they have to rely on that.

This is also backed up when you here Maynard arguing the point saying he had eyes for the ball. Umpire says he understands that but he still made head high contact. That is why the free is being paid.

Dont agree. There was clear head high contact with the Murray one which is why the free was paid. Dabatable depending on interpretation but not horribly wrong. No head high with Thomas so no free.

Maybe go watch that Thomas one again.

Also, on Murray's, what's his face from Adelaide actually hit Murray's back, not shoulder. That "head high" contact was coming to him REGARDLESS of what Murray did. Absolutely ridiculous free kick that you literally never see paid. Anywhere.

“Initiate” isn’t in the rules.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So by your logic, players should basically go around headbutting other players to get free kicks. As long as they're "going for the ball".

Riiiiiiight

Last edited:

Also, on Murray's, what's his face from Adelaide actually hit Murray's back, not shoulder. That "head high" contact was coming to him REGARDLESS of what Murray did. Absolutely ridiculous free kick that you literally never see paid. Anywhere.

Riiiiiiight
Doesn't matter. Murray got him high, that's not in dispute, just whether you let it go or penalise it. Think you have your Collingwood goggles on if you are worrying about that.

Likewise there was no head contact with Thomas. What are you thinking?

So by your logic, players should basically go around headbutting other players to get free kicks. As long as they're "going for the ball".

Riiiiiiight

Umpire baggers usually make me laugh. If you are going to criticise decisions it is a great idea to read the rules.

“Make contact” is the term. It isn’t “my logic”. I would say that “make contact” can be two ways - think of a game of knuckles. Both parties make contact. Just like horizontal disco between consenting adults.

The 15.1.1 fairness provision interpretation destroys your ridiculous extension of “my logic” - see below - in the awarding of a free. Once again, read the rules first.

I actually think the rules are flawed because to my reading there is nothing that allows for umpires to make interpretations which result in not awarding the free kick. All of the interpretation provisions in rule 15.1.1 are prefaced by the umpire awarding a free kick, not in calling play on. Which is a whole other question again. What is play on? Is it in the rules? The umpires generally aren’t aware of this either. They are told how to interpret and they do so. But not sure the rules allow for any of it.

Riiiiiiight

I take it you've never heard the word "Selwood", amirite?

Doesn't matter. Murray got him high, that's not in dispute, just whether you let it go or penalise it. Think you have your Collingwood goggles on if you are worrying about that.

McGovern got Murray with his head not the other way around.

McGovern got Murray with his head not the other way around.

Unless it is something akin to a basketball screen, no (and that is with the non-existent interpretation provision to not award a free). Both parties are moving (at speed). If one of them cops head contact, the other one is done.

Unless it is something akin to a basketball screen, no (and that is with the non-existent interpretation provision to not award a free). Both parties are moving (at speed). If one of them cops head contact, the other one is done.

Why should the other be done? He's well within his rights to go and win the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why should the other be done? He's well within his rights to go and win the ball.
He is not if he catches the other player high. Umpire even covers that in the tape. Maynard clearly claims Murray had eyes only for the ball. Umpire clearly says I understand that but he got him high.

One of the troubles we as supporters have when criticising umpires is an incomplete understanding of the rules. Other biggie of course is we are hopelessly biased.

He is not if he catches the other player high. Umpire even covers that in the tape. Maynard clearly claims Murray had eyes only for the ball. Umpire clearly says I understand that but he got him high.

One of the troubles we as supporters have when criticising umpires is an incomplete understanding of the rules. Other biggie of course is we are hopelessly biased.
If the other player was going for the ball I'd agree but he was going for Murray.

Then you can call me biased, cause of all the free kicks they got in my opinion that one should not have been. Play on. The rest of Adelaides l agree with.

Then you can call me biased, cause of all the free kicks they got in my opinion that one should not have been. Play on. The rest of Adelaides l agree with.
That's what I would have gone for also but it was debatable. The umpires interpretation is reasonable.

I watched the replay again today. Third time. Thomas cops contact to the head. Right in the jaw. The fact that he’s tougher than McGovern shouldn’t factor into it.

“Make contact” is the term. It isn’t “my logic”. I would say that “make contact” can be two ways - think of a game of knuckles. Both parties make contact. Just like horizontal disco between consenting adults.

What then to make of when they make contact next Wednesday,

Hooker and Cox?

That's what I would have gone for also but it was debatable. The umpires interpretation is reasonable.
I get why, but actually it’s wrong cause Murray did not crash into McGoven, it was the other way round. If Murray had crashed into the player it would have been more than a free kick.But in the end no one was injured or suspended and we still got the chocolates. It one of those things that if the umpires are not in the correct spot then they will get it wrong from time to time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back