Awesome attitude era moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Bret vs Austin was brilliant, agreed. Their Wrestlemania 13 match was excellent.

Can't agree on Nation vs DOA vs Los Bariquas, though. I found the whole feud incredibly boring, and it seemed to go on forever. The only group with any kind of interest at all was the Nation and that was really only once the Rock joined.

One other part of 97 I did love though was the introduction of Ken Shamrock. Early Ken Shamrock when he just stiffed the s**t out of everyone and did takedowns all the time was incredibly fun to watch :D
I guess that i liked that a lot more than you because WWF hadn't done the whole "gang" having spent a good 6-7 years before this watching standard WWF matches this was new & exciting as hell. looking back on it from today's point of view probably not as much but 13 year old me bloody loved it.

Raw March 8 1999

Kane shoots Chyna accidentally (he meant to hit Triple H) with a fireball gun. In real life this ****ed up her eyebrows. Remember reading about it in her autobiography:

main_1-Chyna-Signed-Hardcover-Book-If-They-Only-Knew-JSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Raw March 8 1999

Kane shoots Chyna accidentally (he meant to hit Triple H) with a fireball gun. In real life this ****** up her eyebrows. Remember reading about it in her autobiography:

main_1-Chyna-Signed-Hardcover-Book-If-They-Only-Knew-JSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Jesus Christ there's a lot of airbrushing in that picture! I remember reading part of that book once in a book store and there was a story about Chyna being sexually assaulted by her gym coach or something? It was something pretty confronting and uncomfortable, anyway.

Raw March 15th 1999

Bitter heel JR has his own desk

t9zc3m.jpg

I loved this angle :p From memory Hardcore Holly or someone ends up put through JR's table, much to his frustration, haha. I love the way he'd set himself up literally right in front of Michael Cole.

They did a similar thing in 2000 with Tazz setting up a commentary desk to mock J.R.

I'm still baffled at the decision to attempt to make J.R. a heel, it just didn't make any sense to me. In an era where the top faces are anti-authoritarian anti-heroes (Austin and D-X) and the top heels are corporate figures (Vince and the Corporation), having a commentator recently return after being removed from TV because of a Bell's Palsy attack and cut a worked shoot promo that attacked the company was never going to get heat from the fans. If anything, fans were more sympathetic towards J.R. because of his Bell's Palsy and it makes Mr. McMahon more of a campaigner. If I had the choice between J.R. and Maggle/Kevin Kelly/Red Rooster as the main commentator, I'd go with J.R. everyday of the week.

WrestleMania XV

Owen Hart's final WrestleMania match. A fairly unremarkable tag team match. Another person in the match, Test, would also die young.

Butterbean knocks Bart Gunn unconscious.

Midcard fueds and matches at WrestleMania. This stuff used to be good. Part-timers absolutely ****ed it.

WrestleMania XV

Owen Hart's final WrestleMania match. A fairly unremarkable tag team match. Another person in the match, Test, would also die young.

Butterbean knocks Bart Gunn unconscious.

Midcard fueds and matches at WrestleMania. This stuff used to be good. Part-timers absolutely ****** it.

The part timers at Wrestlemania have ruined it. Why I think Summerslam is the better PPV now.

I'm still baffled at the decision to attempt to make J.R. a heel, it just didn't make any sense to me. In an era where the top faces are anti-authoritarian anti-heroes (Austin and D-X) and the top heels are corporate figures (Vince and the Corporation), having a commentator recently return after being removed from TV because of a Bell's Palsy attack and cut a worked shoot promo that attacked the company was never going to get heat from the fans. If anything, fans were more sympathetic towards J.R. because of his Bell's Palsy and it makes Mr. McMahon more of a campaigner. If I had the choice between J.R. and Maggle/Kevin Kelly/Red Rooster as the main commentator, I'd go with J.R. everyday of the week.

didn't work when they brought back "Razor Ramon" and "Diesel", didn't work this time either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention one of his big "heel" moments was kicking Michael Cole in the nuts... as if there was going to be even a single fan who wouldn't cheer that :p

WrestleMania XV probably not near the top of anybody's all-time wrasslin shows but it's a great WWE PPV. All the matches except the Tag Team Championship match actually have storylines behind them, nobody's really padding for time, there's threads weaved through the show (who referees the main event, people quitting/joining or joining/quitting the Corporation and DX), and it all has consequence and meaning going forward. You can't do this with WrestleMania today when you give every match that even half means something to wrestlers who won't be there 2 weeks later.

Only bad mark I can give it is JR's heel run just ends with Michael Cole announcing he's doing the main event.

Raw March 29th 1999

JR is still a heel actually. Cole still play-by-play announcer.

Billy Gunn moons The Rock:

2cwt0t3.jpg

Finished 1998. It was pretty good.

1999 is even better I reckon, as far as TV anyway. PPVs are pretty solid too.

Currently watching Armageddon 2000 after making my way through chronologically from late 96/early 97. It's taken me about 10 years haha

If the WWE Network with all the Raws and SmackDowns was available 5 years ago I would've started my big watch back then. There was no way I was putting myself through hundreds of hours of old, shitty VHS recordings. I watched Heat January 31st 1999 (Mankind beats The Rock for the WWF Championship in an Empty Arena match) the other day on Dailymotion... **** it painful.

I'm still watching the VHS rips I torrented years ago. Don't want to watch the network versions because 1) I don't have the network at the moment and 2) I hate it when they edit things out, especially music - really annoys me.

SmackDown April 29 1999

The pilot episode of SmackDown on UPN (a now dead US free-to-air network) where it would air until 2005. Intro is the woahwowowo all around something something rhymes with down song it had for the first couple years. The graphics are all blue. Ring ropes are red and it's the Raw stage with blue lighting. Ring apron banner and microphones covers say WWF or World Wrestling Federation. Owen Hart's only SmackDown.

q1AAJUA.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back