Awesome attitude era moments

I know Vince and co. will say that the Attitude Era ended when they had to change their name from WWF to WWE in May 2002 but in my opinion and for many others, this PPV signalled the end of the Attitude Era. :(

I agree with that--- Around the time of WMX7 is a massive shift for the company and the industry. In less than a month ECW is gone, WCW is gone, Austin turns heel and The Rock leaves for Hollywood.

Dec 8, 2013
The Norwegian Sky
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
One of the greatest WrestleManias of all time and to many it's the greatest WrestleMania of all time. It really had that epic WrestleMania feel to it, especially when compared to the lacklustre multi-man-mania the year before.
I'm one of the few who liked WM16(or 2000). Although that's probably because it was my introduction to wrestling as a kid, in the form of a VHS from Blockbuster :p. It did have some decent matches though like the ladder match and the Jericho/Angle/Benoit triple threat.

X-Seven definitely the GOAT though.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Mötorhead live to play Triple H to the ring. Guessing he hasn't had a normal entrance at WrestleMania since.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I say the Attitude Era stops when the brand split begins in April 2002 however WrestleMania X-Seven represents the end of much of what people remember about it. In the space of two days Steve Austin is a heel and The Rock is finished as a full-timer. Triple H's injury in May ends his heel run. The Invasion storyline means a glut of new wrestlers, many who were already known for their work elsewhere. WrestleMania X8 has Rob Van Dam, Chuck Palumbo, Diamond Dallas Page, Booker T, Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Hollywood Hulk Hogan getting time in the ring.

Last edited:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
SmackDown April 5 2001

Triple H defeats Chris Jericho for the Intercontinental Championship.

the concept of the Invasion was far cooler than the execution

Imagine a Goldberg/Flair/Sting/Nash/Hall/Luger alliance. Nope. Best we got was Booker T and DDP.
HBK was on hiatus, and Triple H was injured. Rikishi was also out hurt. Was Bret Hart also injured?
Savage could have played a neutral role in a WWE or WCW? type angle, perhaps allying with Jericho/Benoit/Guerrero/Saturn who would be in the same boat.

So many different angles they could have used.

There was only one chance for this to happen - but contracts, injuries, and Vince's grudges held it back.

After the excitement of the incredible Raw/Nitro when Shane appeared on WCW, the whole angle was an enormous letdown.

Didn't get to watch much of the Invasion at the time but the big problems seem like the lack of WCW main eventers and it being another McMahon vs McMahon storyline.

That's pretty much it. The egos of the McMahons knows no boundaries.

Goldberg & Sting were contracted to Turner or something, not WCW. Flair didn't arrive until after it ended. Vince hated Luger, and probably Savage as well.
Hogan, Nash, and Hall should have been available, but might have been another Vince grudge.

Hogan, Hall and Nash were under Turner contracts as well. Vince didn't want to pay out these massive contracts and upset the pay scale in the WWE locker room. Bret was retired due to injury, obviously.

The initial Shane leading WCW was ok, but then Shane became the centrepiece of the in-ring too. (but just imagine how much reaction there would have been if Bischoff was involved back then)

Last edited:

GWBogan

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 7, 2011
Daily's Place
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
AEW, Jacksonville Jaguars, Fulham
Hogan was under contract until March 2001 but never returned to WCW following the Bash at the Beach 2000 fiasco, Hall's contract would've been terminated some time after March 2000 (he later appeared in ECW in 2000 and NJPW in 2001) and Nash decided to ride out his contract instead of accepting a contract buy out and working for less pay (which is what Booker T did).

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Raw May 7 2001

Rikishi turns heel more or less because Mick Foley tells him too. This was the first time I remember being disappointed WWF just dropped something and hit reset. He'd been a heel for months with headline angles about mowing down Steve Austin in the car. Then he just goes back to being a happy fat guy who sticks his butthole in faces. Was ******* sick of him in 2004 when he was still doing it (and getting the fake SmackDown crowd because everyone was sick of him). Should've gone away instead of limping on with the original gimmick so bloody long.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Would've happened by now but did they have Hardcore Holly backstage randomly slapping Bradshaw and the APA beat the s**t out of him ?

Maybe? They had a bit recently where Hardcore Holly threw a beer in Bradshaw's face resulting in a tag team match.

Maybe? They had a bit recently where Hardcore Holly threw a beer in Bradshaw's face resulting in a tag team match.
Was it backstage and did they bash him first ?

Back