Awesome attitude era moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Been chewing through 97 RAW recently. I said it in a post months ago but the transition from s**t show in small houses to larger arenas and fans being legit into what was happening is unreal. It's seriously unreal, it's just completely electrifying and so entertaining. I got into wrestling as a kid, but this stuff is for adults, and it's just so so good. It went from a family show with Doink the Clown etc to a bunch of 20-40 year olds in the crowd drinking beer in their 3:16 shirts.
It would have been so great to experience it all live, but even now on replay when you see Stone Cold come out and entertain the crowd for an entire segment it's just great. Watching Survivor Series 97 right now!

Good stuff. 1997 in my opinion was the greatest year of WWF TV. The Hart/Austin & Hart/HBK feuds are two of the greatest we've ever seen. Kane in 1997 was a beast.

I too love the transition from New Gen to Attitude. Back when they still at least tried to present it as a serious sport, but the attitude was kicking in without it getting too over the top. Survivor Series '96 until Wrestlemainia XIV is pure gold. The rest of 1998 was quite strong too.

Good stuff. 1997 in my opinion was the greatest year of WWF TV. The Hart/Austin & Hart/HBK feuds are two of the greatest we've ever seen. Kane in 1997 was a beast.

I too love the transition from New Gen to Attitude. Back when they still at least tried to present it as a serious sport, but the attitude was kicking in without it getting too over the top. Survivor Series '96 until Wrestlemainia XIV is pure gold. The rest of 1998 was quite strong too.

A great way I've seen this era explained is that it is honestly presented as a legitimate sports show, but the problem is the roster is full of guys causing complete chaos like they really would if it was legit.

So good, and looking forward to the time from the Screwjob to Mania now. It's sad in a lot of ways but we are lucky to have full access to the content now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great way I've seen this era explained is that it is honestly presented as a legitimate sports show, but the problem is the roster is full of guys causing complete chaos like they really would if it was legit.

So good, and looking forward to the time from the Screwjob to Mania now. It's sad in a lot of ways but we are lucky to have full access to the content now.
The saddest part of that timeframe is the misuse of Owen Hart :-(

Owen returns as a lone wolf after Survivor Series with a vendetta against both Vince & HBK. Has a couple of promos on Raw where he comes to the ring from the audience & threatens Vince in the ring, whilst sending threats to Shawn Michaels. The crowd were loving it at the time, but the storyline never realized its full potential due to HBK & his buddies getting into Vince's ear backstage & nixing it. Also, SCSA not wanting to work with Owen meant that there was nowhere for the "Black Hart" character to go. Pretty sure Owen has one match vs HBK on Raw which ends in a DQ, before sliding back down the card & feuding with mid-carder HHH. Was supposed to be Owen's breakout storyline but he ends up getting politicked out :-(

The saddest part of that timeframe is the misuse of Owen Hart :-(

Owen returns as a lone wolf after Survivor Series with a vendetta against both Vince & HBK. Has a couple of promos on Raw where he comes to the ring from the audience & threatens Vince in the ring, whilst sending threats to Shawn Michaels. The crowd were loving it at the time, but the storyline never realized its full potential due to HBK & his buddies getting into Vince's ear backstage & nixing it. Also, SCSA not wanting to work with Owen meant that there was nowhere for the "Black Hart" character to go. Pretty sure Owen has one match vs HBK on Raw which ends in a DQ, before sliding back down the card & feuding with mid-carder HHH. Was supposed to be Owen's breakout storyline but he ends up getting politicked out :-(

Seems he was politicked out which sucks. I do like Owen. But the fact Austin didn't want to work with him is completely his own fault. Took a liberty with the hottest guy in the businesses safety and unfortunately Austin had to end his career very prematurely because of it so I find it hard to feel bad for him in that regard. Obviously feel terrible for the other thing that happened to him.

Yeah, with the two biggest stars in the company not wanting to work with him for one reason or another he was basically doomed. Realistically though Owen was World Champion material then more than any other point of his career.

Tbf I don't think Owen took any liberties with Austin, it was by all means an accident. Apparently a big part of Austin's gripe with Owen was due to the fact that Owen never actually apologized about it, & from what I've heard the reason why Owen never said much about it was cause he felt terrible about it & didn't know how to express himself.

Since you recently watched SS '97 you undoubtedly would have seen the Owen/Austin rematch. There's a crazy little spot where Owen teases piledriving Austin again & the Canadian crowd starts going nuts! Along with that Owen's "Owen 3:16 - I just broke your neck t-shirt" was pretty badass. It's amazing just how much reality they used to mix in with the story back then, another reason why 1997 is so intruding.

By the way, have you seen the Bret vs Owen cage match at Summerslam '94? Just about the ATG cage match in my opinion.

Yeah, with the two biggest stars in the company not wanting to work with him for one reason or another he was basically doomed. Realistically though Owen was World Champion material then more than any other point of his career.

Tbf I don't think Owen took any liberties with Austin, it was by all means an accident. Apparently a big part of Austin's gripe with Owen was due to the fact that Owen never actually apologized about it, & from what I've heard the reason why Owen never said much about it was cause he felt terrible about it & didn't know how to express himself.

Since you recently watched SS '97 you undoubtedly would have seen the Owen/Austin rematch. There's a crazy little spot where Owen teases piledriving Austin again & the Canadian crowd starts going nuts! Along with that Owen's "Owen 3:16 - I just broke your neck t-shirt" was pretty badass. It's amazing just how much reality they used to mix in with the story back then, another reason why 1997 is so intruding.

By the way, have you seen the Bret vs Owen cage match at Summerslam '94? Just about the ATG cage match in my opinion.

Nah, Austin actually specifically asked him to perform the tombstone style piledriver, rather than a sit out. He specifically went over it twice to ask him to do the safer move and Owen refused. Disgraceful behaviour.

It's weird the whole Owen not talking to Austin after due to feeling so bad. Hard to know without being in that situation but just seems odd that he wouldn't talk to him again.

Nah I haven't seen Bret v Owen cage match, will have to look at it. Would imagine they would do a cage match the right way.

Nah, Austin actually specifically asked him to perform the tombstone style piledriver, rather than a sit out. He specifically went over it twice to ask him to do the safer move and Owen refused. Disgraceful behaviour.

It's weird the whole Owen not talking to Austin after due to feeling so bad. Hard to know without being in that situation but just seems odd that he wouldn't talk to him again.

Nah I haven't seen Bret v Owen cage match, will have to look at it. Would imagine they would do a cage match the right way.
Oh right. I never heard about that. Dunno why the hell Owen refused to listen like that.

The video quality is a bit poor in this vid, you might be able to find a better version somewhere, but here is the match in full. Let me know what you think!

WWF SSlam - BretHart vs OwenHart in Cage Match 1994 - Bing video

The Breat vs Owen match from WM X is also worth a look imo. One of the best matches on the entire card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back