Awesome Documentary I recommend

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
UQ AFC (My only true team)
This isn't EXCLUSIVELY about the Lions, but a couple of weeks ago I was in the AFL Shop at the Gabba and I picked up a rahter sweet DVD documentary, pretty expensive too $70 for something produced late1999-2000 :eek:

Anyway, its called The Passion To Play, it was produced by AFLPA and the AFL and gave a very VERY good insight to the players and the life of those involved in footy. Its split into two 2-hour documenaries and does actually feature quite a few past Lions and Bears and our mangod Coach

It does go through the stages of an AFL player from draftee to retiree. It was very interesting to watch this doco. The draftee they focused on throughout the documentry was Des Headland. Was quite interesting to see such a young guy coming to Brisbane and see highlights of his first game (2 goals in his first game if I'm correct). Towards the end, they showed Richard Champion towards the end of his career.

Some other Brizzie Lions to feature include Jarrad Molloy, Michael McLean, Roger Merrett (one of the first guys I remember seeing play whilst I was still a puny pro-Broncos, Rugby kid ) Scott McIvor, Andrew Bews, Shawn Hart, Leigh Mathews and of course..... Vossy!

One of the most shocking things that came from the documentry (which made the news a few years ago I do believe) came while Robert Walls was the Bears coach. I believe the kids name was Craigh Stemple or something along those lines. Wallsy and the team weren't happy with him, so they surrounded him and each and every member of the Bears fought him with boxing gloves. I believe Shawn Hart stopped it out of sympathy for him. :eek: Fair or harsh on him, I'm still to decide.

But at any rate, I reckon any AFL fan should definetly look for this DVD to gain a greater appreciation for the boys on the field. Very indepth DVD :thumbsu:

Most willing to lend it out if anyone wants to check it out, but not wanting to cash out as much as I did :p

One of the most shocking things that came from the documentry (which made the news a few years ago I do believe) came while Robert Walls was the Bears coach. I believe the kids name was Craigh Stemple or something along those lines. Wallsy and the team weren't happy with him, so they surrounded him and each and every member of the Bears fought him with boxing gloves. I believe Shawn Hart stopped it out of sympathy for him. :eek: Fair or harsh on him, I'm still to decide.
Yeah that story has been around for yonks. Wallsy did a great job to get us where we are today, but that is just a dispicable act.

When I first saw it, I was shocked. I know coaches sometimes have to be tough on players, but having your team beat the crap out of one guy? Thats surely a form of assault

Pretty sure that incident is also mentioned in Aker's book. Or was it Lynchy's....?

Shane Strempel was the bloke. Was apparently out on the urine very second night, at a time when Walls was trying to get some discipline into the group. Yeah, not exactly the way I might have gone about it, but I guess they were different times and Walls is an old-school coach.

This was back in 91 I think, so neither Lynchy or Aka would have around at that time.

This isn't EXCLUSIVELY about the Lions, but a couple of weeks ago I was in the AFL Shop at the Gabba and I picked up a rahter sweet DVD documentary, pretty expensive too $70 for something produced late1999-2000

Anyway, its called The Passion To Play, it was produced by AFLPA and the AFL and gave a very VERY good insight to the players and the life of those involved in footy. Its split into two 2-hour documenaries and does actually feature quite a few past Lions and Bears and our mangod Coach

It does go through the stages of an AFL player from draftee to retiree. It was very interesting to watch this doco. The draftee they focused on throughout the documentry was Des Headland. Was quite interesting to see such a young guy coming to Brisbane and see highlights of his first game (2 goals in his first game if I'm correct). Towards the end, they showed Richard Champion towards the end of his career.

Some other Brizzie Lions to feature include Jarrad Molloy, Michael McLean, Roger Merrett (one of the first guys I remember seeing play whilst I was still a puny pro-Broncos, Rugby kid ) Scott McIvor, Andrew Bews, Shawn Hart, Leigh Mathews and of course..... Vossy!

But at any rate, I reckon any AFL fan should definetly look for this DVD to gain a greater appreciation for the boys on the field. Very indepth DVD :thumbsu:

Most willing to lend it out if anyone wants to check it out, but not wanting to cash out as much as I did

There is also a follow up out-takes DVD available which is a good look.

Former Bear-Hawk Robert Dickson (Aussie Survivour) who made this doco also did all of the footage you see when you go to AFL world where it shows you footage of the 2003 Grand Final.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back