Status
Not open for further replies.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is this one of the most awkward biggest loads of politically correct flog you have ever seen.

West Coast player Ashton Hams talking about keeping his spot in the side when the likes of Embley, LeCras and Nicoski return from injury:

"My role is just doing the team things as well, all the blocking and forward pressure. So if I can keep all that sort of stuff up hopefully it can keep me in the side."

Looks like he was trying to make sure he said all of the right things. I am not even sure if he knows what that "sort of stuff" is......??

Now, no disrespect the Ashton, because he's a great player and all, but is this really what the AFL has become. I am sure there are plenty of other examples from every club in the AFL.....but is all this contrived political correctness driving you mad. It seems to be getting worse and worse. Why dont we just all join hands in the middle of the MCG and call it a draw so that no one has to lose.

Peace Love and Veggies.......

The full story can be found at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139529/default.aspx

Don't se how that was awkward. Every second player would make a similar comment, almost every week, add to that with the game these days with the press, and variations, it's a tactic meh, not worth a thread.

Yeah, to single out Hams would be unfair as all players spout the same rubbish. I ignore most player conferences nowadays. It's all the same every time. It's not their fault, though.

The media and our sheltered society seem hellbent on making personal opinions of any sports person appear as heresy, so they're forced to play it safe. If it were up to me, I'd have them say what they thought. It's refreshing when you occasionally get someone who speaks their own mind, if only for a brief sentence.

Every time the players say something that isn't 100% written for them by their media watchers, some hack journo takes it out of context and runs with it. And half of bigfooty gets sucked into it, most of the time.

He really ducked that question. At no stage did he look like diving into an in-depth answer. But I don't blame him - he shouldn't lower himself to the media's level.

boom tish

Yet if any player says anything remotely controversial/truthful the scavenging media will be all over them. It's a lose/lose situation the way things are now.

Unless the media actually start respecting the players opinions, things will stay the way they are. A team can win by 150pts and their players will still say "they really put us to the test" and "credit to the opposition"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

look i've really got nothing to say on football cliche but if you like you can take some shots of me down at the gun range on my night off.. oh wait no you cant, sorry I'll just give you a boring batshit answer about doing the team things as sports people doing anything else end up in trouble.

Brent Stanton is like that too. Can predict what he's going to say before the interview. Don't blame him though, AFL have got the players speaking like sheep now. baa baa.

Generic AFL player/coach statement - "This is boring and pointless. I wish he'd just tell the truth".

Outspoken player such as Akermanis statements - "Wow, what a tosser. I wish he'd just shut up".

Unfortunately, this is what we're faced with. As people have mentioned above, if an individual so much as says one word that 'could maybe possibly sort of' be implying something else, every vulture in the media latches on and blows it out of proportion. It takes a full-on personality (such as Aker) to properly speak their mind, because when you're that outspoken, the media can't really twist your words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back