Injury Axel injured - minor foot surgery - 6 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Foley. And nothing would please me more than being wrong, but I believe the line up is better without him. Of course you would never want an injury to happen to anybody, but from an on field perspective I'm not too concerned.

I like Foley. And nothing would please me more than being wrong, but I believe the line up is better without him. Of course you would never want an injury to happen to anybody, but from an on field perspective I'm not too concerned.
Had him as a sub for round 1. Injuries seem to have taken the zip out of him last year. Seems more a battler now in most of the games he played last year.

Rd 1 starts in a month, so he cant go onto the L.T.I as he would only be out for 2 weeks or so.

I'm not sure what your saying here theflea ....Oh I just read it a few more times. Are you saying that LTI"S have to be out for 6-8 weeks of the season it's self to be able to upgrade a rookie ?

Yeah thats my worry. It was my slight dig at the club when I said a "real 3 weeks". If it goes on for half a year, I see him either retiring at the end of the year or if he cracks the side late in the year and shows some OK form then off to GWS for a year or two.

Can't see that happening Tiger71 . It would send a terrible message to the rest of the group. In my (uninformed) opinion Axel is at the club because he brings some significant traits to the group. But from what I hear he is a machine off field in terms of his professionalism. He has (in my head at least) been worth keeping around the club this last couple of years on that basis alone. An example to the younger boys as to what should be "Normal" standards of training and preparation. Invaluable to a developing squad....But if the comment above was tongue in cheek just forget about the above. 'Keep calm And carry on'....;)

I was walking behind Axel at the doggies game. He looked proppy just walking and one leg (left I think) is appreciably smaller than the other - almost no calf muscle. Doesn't look good which is shitty.

His been like that for some time. I saw him about 3 years ago in a Rebel store when he was meant to be fit and he was hobbling. Then went to the RFC golf day and he was cooked there too.

FYI I meant cut down in his prime like Coughlan in my previous post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what your saying here theflea ....Oh I just read it a few more times. Are you saying that LTI"S have to be out for 6-8 weeks of the season it's self to be able to upgrade a rookie ?
When a player goes onto the L.T.I it is for a MIN of 8 weeks that they have to be out for. Also it starts at rd1 and not now. So essentially he would be out for the first 8 weeks. So when I said 2 weeks, they are sort of saying he goes onto the list now and only out for a few games(of which we could upgrade another player) but that isn't the way it works.

Who else do you expect to get promoted? I was thinking lambert as the only promotion, and he should be front runner now :)
Why? Just because he's a mature body. Remember this is his first preseason with us, he needs to learn our game plan first and he's only had one NAB Cup game to get used to it. Thomas & Arnott have been with us longer and are probably on their last chance so will probably get first run at the rookie elevation prior to Round 1.
Let's see how they go for the rest of the NAB Cup. Lambert was very good in Q1 against the Dogs, but Arnott was better across the entire game. They both had limited time on the ground though.

Why? Just because he's a mature body. Remember this is his first preseason with us, he needs to learn our game plan first and he's only had one NAB Cup game to get used to it. Thomas & Arnott have been with us longer and are probably on their last chance so will probably get first run at the rookie elevation prior to Round 1.
Let's see how they go for the rest of the NAB Cup. Lambert was very good in Q1 against the Dogs, but Arnott was better across the entire game. They both had limited time on the ground though.
Yeah fair point, I forgot about arnott. I don't really rate thomas to much. And depends on the rest of the pre season obviously but i'd still lean towards lambert just to add new and fresh rather than try the same players over and over. Will be interesting to see the battle between thoswe 3 for the spot.

Shattered for him - I hope this isn't the end as he's been a great servant and a professional for us.

Injuries probably robbed him of the player he was/could have been - would have been just about our best midfielder back in his prime.

If it is the end (i.e he can't force his way into the side after recovering), at least he got to 150 games (life membership and got to play a final). That's something to be proud of IMO.

Surely opens the door for Lambert (or shudders...Thomas) to come in and help out in the ball winning brigade?

When a player goes onto the L.T.I it is for a MIN of 8 weeks that they have to be out for. Also it starts at rd1 and not now. So essentially he would be out for the first 8 weeks. So when I said 2 weeks, they are sort of saying he goes onto the list now and only out for a few games(of which we could upgrade another player) but that isn't the way it works.

Cheers theflea interestingly the article below says Axel may miss upto a 1/3 of the season. I guess that may open the door for another rookie ?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-12/tigers-bring-in-the-guns

I feel for the guy. Seems like a top bloke and was once a great player. But I was honestly staggered when we re-signed him. Don't think he will make it back this time.

Sends a strong message to the playing group maybe ? We stand by you, when you stand by us (Loyalty a 2 way street).....+ if Axel gets through his issues we get another very good Mid...

Sends a strong message to the playing group maybe ? We stand by you, when you stand by us (Loyalty a 2 way street).....+ if Axel gets through his issues we get another very good Mid...

It's a valid point you make, but how long do you hold on to an injured player? Can't remember the last time he played consistent footy without getting interrupted by injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back