Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One other thing, I know it gets thrown about so lightly on this board, but James Worpel is a future captain. It's hard to pinpoint why I have that feeling, but just the way he goes about his work, you sense he's a born leader. Oozing hunger and courage. Feels like a young Joel Selwood, minus the ducking.

At the moment he's young and brash, has a lot to learn and needs to channel his aggression, but you sense that he's a leader of men.

One other thing, I know it gets thrown about so lightly on this board, but James Worpel is a future captain. It's hard to pinpoint why I have that feeling, but just the way he goes about his work, you sense he's a born leader. Oozing hunger and courage. Feels like a young Joel Selwood, minus the ducking.

At the moment he's young and brash, has a lot to learn and needs to channel his aggression, but you sense that he's a leader of men.

That's a huge call.

- Wingard still exciting me with his skill, but just doesn't seem to do much at training.

Could you clarify this statement please MP.

Is he not being asked to do much?
Does he not get himself involved as much as others?

PS. As always thanks for the report, however brief, we all appreciate the effort as you know.

Apologies gents, but I was only there briefly. Enough time for a terrible coffee from Last Piece before shooting off to work. I've got minimal comments as below, apologies:

- running program ramping up, building the loading into the legs of all players
- Hardwick looking trim and terrific, looks determined for a big season.
- cousins looking much bigger in the shoulders. Seems to have spent a lot of time in the gym during off-season
- as i keep saying, Howe has been impressing me with his energy at training
- Glass looks more and more like a footballer, not an irishman learning the game
- Poppy looking good
- Wingard still exciting me with his skill, but just doesn't seem to do much at training.
Thanks MP. Much appreciated 👍🏽

I was enjoying this read until you compared Worpel to Selwood. This flat feeling suddenly came over me.

Could you clarify this statement please MP.

Is he not being asked to do much?
Does he not get himself involved as much as others?

PS. As always thanks for the report, however brief, we all appreciate the effort as you know.
He does all the drills, but its not maniacal like how Poppy or Howe do it.

I don't want to pot him early, but he doesn't seem to get to top gear in drills like others do. To be fair, it could be the instruction from fitness guys, he could have a niggle, or its just his way. As long as he performs on game day, then I won't worry.

That's a huge call.
Selwood is a champion and future HoF. That's clear despite the team he plays for.

Selwood is a leader of men by his actions. Head over the ball, courage personified, and his teammates feel compelled to go to war with him. I get that sense with Worpel that he will become that player.

Selwood is a champion and future HoF. That's clear despite the team he plays for.

Selwood is a leader of men by his actions. Head over the ball, courage personified, and his teammates feel compelled to go to war with him. I get that sense with Worpel that he will become that player.
except Worpel is not a ducking whinging bleeder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies gents, but I was only there briefly. Enough time for a terrible coffee from Last Piece before shooting off to work. I've got minimal comments as below, apologies:

- running program ramping up, building the loading into the legs of all players
- Hardwick looking trim and terrific, looks determined for a big season.
- cousins looking much bigger in the shoulders. Seems to have spent a lot of time in the gym during off-season
- as i keep saying, Howe has been impressing me with his energy at training
- Glass looks more and more like a footballer, not an irishman learning the game
- Poppy looking good

In regards to howe i just wanna see cleaner hands and be quick and confident in disposal!
Dont worry about Chad he elite the rolls Royce needs to be there round 1!
Hardwick was one of our best defenders last yr! Any chance he can play a little on ball this yr does he have the tank?

He does all the drills, but its not maniacal like how Poppy or Howe do it.

I don't want to pot him early, but he doesn't seem to get to top gear in drills like others do. To be fair, it could be the instruction from fitness guys, he could have a niggle, or its just his way. As long as he performs on game day, then I won't worry.
Sounds like Darren Jarman :)

Ok I thought you meant Worpel will also be a 6X AA player also, but your just talking about head over the ball stuff then that's fair enough.

In regards to howe i just wanna see cleaner hands and be quick and confident in disposal!
Dont worry about Chad he elite the rolls Royce needs to be there round 1!
Hardwick was one of our best defenders last yr! Any chance he can play a little on ball this yr does he have the tank?
I don't see Hardwick moving to an on-ball role. He's doing well as a small defender so I'd leave him there.

Ok I thought you meant Worpel will also be a 6X AA player also, but your just talking about head over the ball stuff then that's fair enough.
Too early to tell if he'll get 6xAA's. Will be hard given he plays for the Hawks.

But he will give us a lot of joy over the next 10-15 years.

The irony of course is that when they met head on last year - both running at the ball from opposite directions - it was Worpel who showed courage and kept his head down bracing for a collision, got the ball and took the glancing blow as he spun out of the collision and handballed off for a goal.

Selwood took eye off the ball and went for Worpel's head.

Whose teammates were impressed by that incident?

Last edited:
The irony of course is that when they met head on last year - both running at the ball from opposite directions - it was Worpel who showed courage and kept his head down bracing for a collision, got the ball and took the glancing bow as he spun out of the collision and handballed off for a goal.

Selwood took eye off the ball and went for Worpel's head.

Whose teammates were impressed by that incident?

Correct. Tried to take his head off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back