Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have mercy on us if howe is our best player over preseason.
I'm rapt he putting in the hard yards but it's pretty concerning.
We can't continue to rely on sicily to play undersized downback and a ageing roughy to create aerial contest up fwd.
We need one of younger key stocks to have a booming summer,
I'm hoping Tob,lewis,brand,schoe,mohr can grab the bulls buy the horn.
Do any look like taking the next step?

Thought Howe was/is a player who was going to step it up over the next few years, anyway.

Not sure why it's concerning that he's having a great pre-season.

If nothing else it'll be great if Howe can do some of the inside grunt work, he's always been a pretty physical player. We don't want O'Meara to have to play as a wreaking ball with Mitchell out.

Because he SUCKS and that means everyone else is AWFUL and we ALL GONNA DIE!!!!11!!11!!1eleventy!
Just wait until we lose our first JLT match....

I can't wait for the plethora of "Clarkson has lost the players!", "Player X shouldn't be on the list!" and "If Player B is getting games this year we are going to be bottom 4!!" posts start to kick in again, like last summer.

Actually, I really CAN wait.

Thought Howe was/is a player who was going to step it up over the next few years, anyway.

Not sure why it's concerning that he's having a great pre-season.
Agree.

Howe has played 50 games, and has shown some good signs especially late last year.

With Mitchell out, we need him to be.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't wait for the plethora of "Clarkson has lost the players!", "Player X shouldn't be on the list!" and "If Player B is getting games this year we are going to be bottom 4!!" posts start to kick in again, like last summer.

"NO Mitchell, NO Hawthorn!"

But don’t forget Player X & Player B have been on our list for 3 yrs now & played 50 games. They should be elite by now

Agree.

Howe has played 50 games, and has shown some good signs especially late last year.

I’m still hopeful that Howe can become a Josh Kennedy type midfielder. Confident that he will go up a level this season

So Chad is not playing tomorrow or aflx or the scratch match against blues!
Jaeger and gunston limited time and Birch and scully still a while off!! Anymore injuries and TOB could be captain and play inside mid!!
Master

Where did you get this info from?

Have mercy on us if howe is our best player over preseason.
I'm rapt he putting in the hard yards but it's pretty concerning.
We can't continue to rely on sicily to play undersized downback and a ageing roughy to create aerial contest up fwd.
We need one of younger key stocks to have a booming summer,
I'm hoping Tob,lewis,brand,schoe,mohr can grab the bulls buy the horn.
Do any look like taking the next step?
No. Lewis looks bigger but still a fair way off holding down a CHF or FF role. Mohr looks handy depth, but 48 games in 12 years doesn't say much for his ability to stay out on the park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to see here. A conservative approach to player management during the pre-season which is to be expected.
Yeah I'm not to worried about Chad missing the intraclub, a scratch match with the blues or AFL X

I want him right to go for the season

Howe is no superstar but seems his role is underappreciated on this board.

We're a better team with him playing.

I could name dozens of Hawthorn premiership players who were not superstars and who were probably under-appreciated.
I'd start with Peter Schwab and James Morrissey.

They're the guys who actually win premierships.

What have you got against Player B?

I met him & his family down the coast last week & they all seemed very positive about his game time increasing this year.
In fact Mrs B said that he had been training hard all through his time off & he'd been eating very healthily.
Mr B said that his siblings, C & D, had been helping with him coping with the increased work loads this year.

I just don't get what you have against him?

Did he kick your cat?

Last edited:
Agree.

Not sure about the late last year comment. He was suspended for the last 5 home and away games, and was not in the 22 for the first final vs Richmond.

Not sure about the late last year comment. He was suspended for the last 5 home and away games, and was not in the 22 for the first final vs Richmond.
he played in both finals though
Only missed 2 games he could have been selected for

he played in both finals though
Only missed 2 games he could have been selected for
HAWTHORN
B: Jarman Impey, Ben Stratton, James Sicily
HB: Ricky Henderson, James Frawley, Blake Hardwick
C: Jack Gunston, Tom Mitchell, Shaun Burgoyne
HF: Ryan Burton, Jarryd Roughead, Isaac Smith
F: Luke Breust, Ben McEvoy, Paul Puopolo
R: Jonathon Ceglar, Jaeger O’Meara, James Worpel
INT: Ryan Schoenmakers, Harry Morrison, Liam Shiels, Conor Nash
Emer: Daniel Howe, David Mirra, Teia Miles, Brendan Whitecross
IN: James Sicily, James Frawley, Jonathon Ceglar
OUT: Teia Miles (omitted), Kaiden Brand (omitted), David Mirra (omitted)

So if Howe played in the first final vs Richmond, who was the late out again?

HAWTHORN

Schoey didn’t play!

HAWTHORN

Schoey

Isn't it all caused because we gave up Ryan Burton?

Impey has impressed with his explosiveness and looks physically primed for a big year. Looks settled after 12 months back in his home state. Looks much cleaner with the ball and the major knock on him last year was how appalling his endurance was. I haven't noticed that to be a problem this pre-season.

Since January, JOM has been extremely exciting. No strapping on the legs, participated in all sessions and he isn't holding back. Importantly, the club/medical staff don't seem to be holding him back either.
Dominated the match sims and looks powerful. Has definitely slimmed down and looks ready to step up in Mitchell's absence

For almost 3/4s of last season Impey gave me the impression that he was having difficulty in both understanding and adapting to the game plan. As the season progressed Impey's game gradually improved to the stage where he was one of our best in the finals.

With a complete understanding of the game plan and any improvement in fitness I expect him to be the big improver this season and will figure in the top ten for the Peter Crimmins medal. Further to this if he can spend some time at centre clearances he will be just as valuable as O'Meara.

The new rules can create a harvest for a quality tap ruckman and speedsters who can run to the 50 metre line and kick goals. Of course the general thinking is that the mid making the break will kick to a one on one near the goal square. Yes that will happen but the wild card that will win important games is that the mid making the break can kick straight for goal.

those of us with brains care nothing for AFLX/JLT other than to watch the injury list...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back