Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The argument could be that he was a better team player at th Hawks, in playing his role as the coach wanted which was better for the team.
Which allowed the situation of break glass in emergency for when he went into the middle.
This use of him which was better for the hawks also had the benefit of extending his career as he wasn't flogged in the middle week in week out.
You can argue it anyway you like but the fact of the matter is he is twice the player he was when he was at Port (and then some). To put it simply, he doesn't get recognised because he isn't the flashy type.

Does it really matter whether Burgoyne is better here with us or when he was at Port? Simply put, he's been an absolutely incredible pick up for Hawthorn. I struggle to think of a single area in which he hasn't more than delivered on what we'd have hoped for. Once he got up and going with us he's been amazingly durable and has consistently stood up in clutch moments of countless big games. He's been truly awesome for us and that's all that matters to me.

Since arriving on one leg and then looking at what he achieved soon after, I have no qualms in saying that his Hawthorn career is on par and in some cases greater then when he was with Port. If he’d of been drafted by Hawthorn and then traded to Port afterwards then I’d say it would’ve been a different ending to his career than the one he’s had so far.

Case in point is that WHENEVER we were in a pickle who did Clarko insert as a utility to gix things to help us come back? Middle, back, forward, wing say no more ‘oi Shauny go do what you do champ’...boom!

View attachment 620776

The photo & the moment that defined the 3-peat.

We don't do it without his game that night, simple as that.

Best game of football I've ever attended.

Does it really matter whether Burgoyne is better here with us or when he was at Port? Simply put, he's been an absolutely incredible pick up for Hawthorn. I struggle to think of a single area in which he hasn't more than delivered on what we'd have hoped for. Once he got up and going with us he's been amazingly durable and has consistently stood up in clutch moments of countless big games. He's been truly awesome for us and that's all that matters to me.
Hopefully we can say the same thing about Scully 🤞🏽

Burgoyne is the best clearance player I’ve seen play the game. No dilly dollying with give and get handballs to fatten up his stats, just brute force, top speed straight running from the stoppage that only Judd was able to do aside from silk!!! Hodge was also brilliant at this as well , bashed and crashed his way out of the middle !! These players cannot be measured with stats, it’s their ‘Impact’ with minimum fuss that makes them stand out from the rest! I believe Burgoyne is the best utility player of the past decade.
There is a argument you can make about Burgoyne been dudded AA selection in 2014-15-16!!! Absolute champion and big game performer of the highest order!!!!!!!

Burgoyne is the best clearance player I’ve seen play the game. No dilly dollying with give and get handballs to fatten up his stats, just brute force, top speed straight running from the stoppage that only Judd was able to do aside from silk!!! Hodge was also brilliant at this as well , bashed and crashed his way out of the middle !! These players cannot be measured with stats, it’s their ‘Impact’ with minimum fuss that makes them stand out from the rest! I believe Burgoyne is the best utility player of the past decade.
There is a argument you can make about Burgoyne been dudded AA selection in 2014-15-16!!! Absolute champion and big game performer of the highest order!!!!!!!

I can't split Burgoyne and Judd at his prime for their clearance work. Both similar clearance machines, particularly Silk at Port when he was full time midfield - Lade to Burgoyne was as deadly as Cox to Judd at their best.

I can't split Burgoyne and Judd at his prime for their clearance work. Both similar clearance machines, particularly Silk at Port when he was full time midfield - Lade to Burgoyne was as deadly as Cox to Judd at their best.
There was a game a couple years ago I was at, can’t remember which game as I attend as many as I can but I remember we had a few goals kicked against us in the last qtr of a close game, I caught Burgoyne walking up to middle of the ground basically telling everyone that he was gonna take the next bounce , and then????
He won the clearance , cleanly, weaved thru heavy traffic at top speed, drove the ball to the top of the goal square and BANG!! Mark and goal to gunston!!
It was BOSS LEVEL stuff! It’s incredible how often he’s been doing this in his brilliant career but I agree, as much as I hate the gushing over Judd , he was top class at this as well!

There was a game a couple years ago I was at, can’t remember which game as I attend as many as I can but I remember we had a few goals kicked against us in the last qtr of a close game, I caught Burgoyne walking up to middle of the ground basically telling everyone that he was gonna take the next bounce , and then????
He won the clearance , cleanly, weaved thru heavy traffic at top speed, drove the ball to the top of the goal square and BANG!! Mark and goal to gunston!!
It was BOSS LEVEL stuff! It’s incredible how often he’s been doing this in his brilliant career but I agree, as much as I hate the gushing over Judd , he was top class at this as well!

They both had the ability to read the drop, get away from their man and hit the ball at speed. Super fun stuff to watch.

Sounds like the dogs game at shitihad in 2016, he was unbelievable that night

When that ball sailed over Bartel’s head, I’ve never heard a Hawk crowd roar louder. It was primal.
Still probably the best game I've been to. The atmosphere in those last five minutes was electric and the noise at the end when we broke away with the ball after the kick in from the missed goal was something I have never heard before or since.

Still probably the best game I've been to. The atmosphere in those last five minutes was electric and the noise at the end when we broke away with the ball after the kick in from the missed goal was something I have never heard before or since.

Party because it was a comeback from geelongs comeback: many fans were despondent thinking 'here we go again' First win v the cats in 13 games where lets say they had a fair run of the green consistently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never been to a louder game. The emotion in the crowd was intense. At 3/4 time 99% of hawks fans were frustrated and gutted. We knew we played better than them but somehow Geelong pulled some BS out of their backside and found themselves 3 goals up.

The boys were heroic in that last quarter. Were simply brilliant (besides on the scoreboard). Every hawks fan were wishing and hoping we could do it as the momentum started going our way again.

When Burgoyne kicked that goal and when we kicked down the wing and had free players after their behind with 20 seconds remaining there were people going ballistic. Tears from many people. What a game. What a win. What a way to start our 3peat.

Nothing will beat this game for me. Especially from a love experience. Best post-match 5 minutes I've had.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've never been to a louder game. The emotion in the crowd was intense. At 3/4 time 99% of hawks fans were frustrated and gutted. We knew we played better than them but somehow Geelong pulled some BS out of their backside and found themselves 3 goals up.

The boys were heroic in that last quarter. Were simply brilliant (besides on the scoreboard). Every hawks fan were wishing and hoping we could do it as the momentum started going our way again.

When Burgoyne kicked that goal and when we kicked down the wing and had free players after their behind with 20 seconds remaining there were people going ballistic. Tears from many people. What a game. What a win. What a way to start our 3peat.

Nothing will beat this game for me. Especially from a love experience. Best post-match 5 minutes I've had.

I’m the same.

It was so fricken loud when Bud passed it to Cyril in the final play, you could barely hear the siren.

The look on Selwood’s face was the icing on the cake.

It was all Burgoyne though. We know it. And they know it.

The emotion in the crowd was intense. At 3/4 time 99% of hawks fans were frustrated and gutted.
This is the game that I left at 3/4 time. The Hawks fans around me weren't just frustrated they were getting aggro. Lots of swearing and there was some pushing and shoving going on. Had my nine year old with me and just didn't feel like a safe environment for him. So I said something like the following to him "Look, it's getting a bit tense here and I think we should go home, I don't think we are going to win cause the umpiring is really bad and the people around us won't be happy"

We followed the remainder of the game on updates from Footy Live on the train.

Yep it was my Birthday My family (including extended were there) I will never forget it

I watched the last quarter of this game at 2/3am in Anaheim (LA) as we were on holidays. I had a laptop on my knee, sitting on the dunny (seat down) trying not to wake up the rest of the family. Needless to say I failed when Burgers kicked that goal and again when the siren went. I went and knocked on the neighboring doors in the hotel the next morning to apologise for my late night/early morning shouting.

Be interested to hear how Stratts is training at the moment. The ‘miked up’ vision on the HFC website showed him sitting out the end of the intraclub with ice strapped to his calf. Hopefully a knock and not the dreaded calf strain.

Be interested to hear how Stratts is training at the moment. The ‘miked up’ vision on the HFC website showed him sitting out the end of the intraclub with ice strapped to his calf. Hopefully a knock and not the dreaded calf strain.
He was throwing cheesy's to the camera. Cant be to serious.

I’m the same.

It was so fricken loud when Bud passed it to Cyril in the final play, you could barely hear the siren.

The look on Selwood’s face was the icing on the cake.

It was all Burgoyne though. We know it. And they know it.

My favourite game i have been to, the emotion involved i was still screaming when the siren sounded, my gf had to tell me the game was over!

burgoyne was incredible that last qtr! i will never forget it.

Any news on the side or squad for thursday? Do you think the club will just pick the best available?

ill be heading down with some friends if anyone wants to catch up

Burgoyne with only one AA is staggering...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back