Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you for your contribution HH - very much appreciated.

And those who remember the great Peter Hudson will appreciate the name houdinihuddo!

As well as his training reports.

Last edited:

Jars had a very good first year when he was learning our systems. He will benefit greatly from his first year and I think he'll elevate to a new level. The way he has played in the practice and JLT games I think he is capable of being in the AA calculations. He is a seriously good player and has far exceeded my expectations. He is very happy living in Victoria and openly says he loves the club.
Add Wingerz

I just fainted

Yes HH i disagree he is no chance for round 1 and he will be eased back into it at box hill. Besides it appeases us regular box hill watchers.

Yes all eyes were on scully in one play from the center bounce i watched zoom past several players to get to the ball.

He is rapidly approaching game time but they will be conservative a half then 3 qtrs etc at least thats what i think

One of his major weapons seems to have been his ability to use his elite endurance to run out games better than anyone else on the ground. I'd imagine after so long off his legs, he'll still take a bit of work to get that level of endurance back. Of course, already playing in match sim this early is I think more than most hoped for when we got him for a future fourth rounder. I was thinking second half of the season at the earliest. Scully on one wing, Smith on the other would have to be close to the #1 set of wings in the competition. Fingers crossed we see it sooner rather than later.

Training this morning included match play with 12, 4, 3, 2 and 2 minute 'fifths'. There were only 36 players involved and basically a 'probable' team played the balance with the exception of Ceglar rucking against McEvoy Surprisingly the scores were pretty even with the balance playing with more endeavour. The highlight for me was Tom Scully playing on the wing. His pace was eye catching and he won many possessions and generally used the ball well. If Tom pulls up well I wouldn't rule out seeing him play in round one. He is a jet and I don't think he'll play at the BHH. TFP did not agree with my thoughts however the bottom line is Tom was very good and in great spirits as he walked up the steps. It was difficult to take much out of the short fifths however Cousins was good and kicked a great goal from a boundary throw in, Worpel was prominent and Impey probably BOG. For the rest Jones and Golds were very good.

Scully playing on the wing and looking good, albeit in practice match play. Great effort by the fitness staff. Very impressive

Anyone else get the feeling it could be a slow start to the year (w/l)?

With a bit of continuity, improvement from players and injecting the side with the Wingards, Scullys, Birchalls, Howes, etc I feel we'll be a very competitive side, but it just may take some time.

It's a year where all our ducks aren't lined up in a row just at the moment.

Thanks Garry Ayres.

Jars had a very good first year when he was learning our systems. He will benefit greatly from his first year and I think he'll elevate to a new level. The way he has played in the practice and JLT games I think he is capable of being in the AA calculations. He is a seriously good player and has far exceeded my expectations. He is very happy living in Victoria and openly says he loves the club.

I have watched 4 training sessions, the intra club and the game against the Blues and Impeys running has stood out like a pair of Rotties town halls.

As I mentioned earlier I am expecting him to become our Chance Bateman (07-09) where no opposition player could go with his gut running and link up play.

A running trio of Impey Scully and Smith is a very dangerous option for us and something that other clubs are going to have to watch very closely or they will be burnt.

Thanks HH for your report.

I think all would have had an incident in NZ on their mind yesterday and it would have affected any input, or lack of input.

If Scully is fit to play say round 3 I will reinsert my life support paraphernalia.
Round 3 is 4 weeks after resuming full training/match sim. I'd say that is a perfect time to play a half at box Hill and then more fame time round 4 before assessing gps and monitoring the ankle for inflammation and making a call on playing AFL round 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have watched 4 training sessions, the intra club and the game against the Blues and Impeys running has stood out like a pair of Rotties town halls.

As I mentioned earlier I am expecting him to become our Chance Bateman (07-09) where no opposition player could go with his gut running and link up play.

A running trio of Impey Scully and Smith is a very dangerous option for us and something that other clubs are going to have to watch very closely or they will be burnt.
Imagine if Hill had stuck around too. Some might think that's too many outside runners but with them rotating around off flanks we'd have a very scary team in terms of quick ball movement. We'd have seen a lot of exciting plays through the corridor I reckon.

Imagine if Hill had stuck around too. Some might think that's too many outside runners but with them rotating around off flanks we'd have a very scary team in terms of quick ball movement. We'd have seen a lot of exciting plays through the corridor I reckon.

Yeh nah. When the team played well Hill was awesome, but when the $hit the fan and we struggled he would go missing and would be as useful as Billy Hartung . Down hill skier and always will be

Yeh nah. When the team played well Hill was awesome, but when the $hit the fan and we struggled he would go missing and would be as useful as Billy Hartung . Down hill skier and always will be
That kind of insult would get you a dawn appointment once upon a time

Man ppl did not watch hill play. Watching him on the tv just doesnt do him justice.

Theres a guy that plays like hill on our list currently. Loves to run, knows where to run and can dispose the ball cleanly at pace. Has great game sense knows when to take off to provide an option. Name Will Golds

Sheesh. We'll see how that goes. Hill / Smith will be hard to better.

Scully is better than Hill by a fairly large margin I reckon. Runs just as hard as Hill (probably harder), but unlike Hill (when at Hawthorn anyway) Scully tackles hard, can win his share of contested ball when he needs to, and usually has better disposal efficiency. I didn't mind Hill being a softer outside type when he played for us, as that was his role, and he played it well, but Scully, while not a contested beast, isn't the type you end up shaking your head over a couple of times each game, and muttering "Oh well, I guess he's not in the side for his tackling".

Hill is good, and is probably better now than he was when with us, but like Wingard when he started in the AFL, Scully was next level talent right from the start. In his 7th game of AFL footy, playing in a very ordinary team against a team that finished top 4 that year, Scully racked up 39 disposals (15 contested), 6 inside 50s , 7 clearances and 3 Brownlow votes. He was still 18 at the time. Probably took a while to play consistently good footy (longer than many expected given his first season), and to find the role that best suited him. The star studded midfield at GWS has also allowed him to fly under the radar somewhat, but if he plays close to a full season with us this year, it was the steal of the century.

Completely disagree. Sure, he had some weaknesses in relation to size and strength but he was (and still is) elite in all the important areas of his position/role. He's quick, agile, has high endurance, has the sense to lower the eyes when kicking inside 50, and has a beautiful laser like kick which he can perform without breaking his stride. I struggle to think of many players who can do that last thing.

People also forget just how young he was during the threepeat years. Most in the team were seasoned players who had many years of physical conditioning under their belts, while Hill was still just developing his body and game. It really was amazing that such a small and young player could come into that Hawthorn side and have as much positive impact in the side during those years.

The only things Hartung had in common with Hill was his size and endurance. He wasn't as quick or agile, and he often ran himself right into trouble and then just kick the ball long and high to no one in particular.

LOL: comparing an absolutely elite player like Brad Hill with Billy Hartung!

Next you’ll be saying Hodge is overrated, he just got cheap kicks in defence as he never had an opponent!

:fire:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back