Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So when is training back? It's not Monday and Axeman has sharpened his pencil... Today? Tomorrow? Friday? Back at Waverley I assume?
My guess is training has resumed but not at Waverley. Most clubs were back training on Monday including the grand finalists. Would be strange that we would not have resumed too.

In all honesty, seems like the pre-season hasn't really started yet. Ordinarily I get to at least a couple of sessions this time of year, but 2019 seems very disjointed. Probably a combination of Waverley being out of action, mandatory breaks & little news, but either way ... I'm looking forward to the pre-season gaining at least a little momentum.

Let's be honest, most clubs have started back earlier than us. Collingwood went 4 weeks deep into the finals and started back yesterday.

It is what it is, I guess.

Yeah It's strange how we seem to have more breaks than other clubs, not like we made the Grand Final or anything either.

Let's be honest, most clubs have started back earlier than us. Collingwood went 4 weeks deep into the finals and started back yesterday.

It is what it is, I guess.
At worst all players would have a personal training schedule that they’d need to be following, maybe the coaching staff are testing the players to see who has the ability to stick to their schedule.
Skin fold test etc will confirm who did.

At best, we are training elsewhere without publicly announcing it.

I hope it's actually as some fear.
I've often thought a program that has you at your fittest for the start of what is a marathon elite sporting season, with in fact a taper to peak r.1, creates a ridiculously long training year.
If the new fitness/strength manager has instead gone a new route and planned for us to train right into the beginning of the year and be at absolute stonking badass stature by lets say - r.4 - I think the year would play out with less stress toll on the bodies of our players and have them fresher come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other clubs are just doing simply exercises and running laps. This can all be done by the players by themselves in their own time anyway.

The important training comes later when its tweaks to game plans. No one starts that this early anyway.

What is important is to keep players mentally fresh. Additional holidays with training in their own time is fine.

Other clubs are just doing simply exercises and running laps. This can all be done by the players by themselves in their own time anyway.

The important training comes later when its tweaks to game plans. No one starts that this early anyway.

What is important is to keep players mentally fresh. Additional holidays with training in their own time is fine.

If they did like company, they could/would arrange that with their team mates.

Relax lads, the brownlow medeliast and a few snr players started back training early decemeber with the 1st to 4 yr players they would be ahead of the pack and can afford a few days extra break.

any news on some young contenders for a early seniors game?

Relax lads, the brownlow medeliast and a few snr players started back training early decemeber with the 1st to 4 yr players they would be ahead of the pack and can afford a few days extra break.

any news on some young contenders for a early seniors game?
Moore, Hanrahan and Jiath seem closest to a debut of the bunch. But guys like Lewis, Nash, Glass, Cousins and Pittonet should be adding to their totals. Glass the only one on double figures for games with 10.

Mohr and Minchinton will be a good chance to cover injuries but I see them as reliable depth ala simpkin, Cheney and Mirra.

I think kosi and walker will be impressive at vfl this year but unlikely to contend for a senior appearance.

Edit: I forgot to mention Scrimshaw, I really have no clue really. I asked my gold coast contact about him (he has worked there and is mates with and lived with many of the players)

When asked if he would make it replied "I don't know, he hated it at gold coast and was unmotivated. If he stayed here he was no hope but if any club can make him a player it would be hawthorn."

Last edited:
My child, stay a while and listen to a story, an old story of courage, triumph... greatness. I remember a football team, based in Hawthorn, Victoria, they wore brown and... yellow? no... gold... sorry I haven't seen the jumper for such a long time. They were the mighty sparrows... no, no that can't be right, the mighty hawks! yes, that's it - c'arn the hawks we all used to cry! Our voices screaming, crying out, and then turning to song more often than not.

Over the years, ancient times now, they had such champions, warriors and leaders, they were the paragons of football for us simple folk, you and I. We'd go to their arenas of war, Waverley, the MCG, York Park, all over Australia to see these gladiators battle. They played this game at the highest standard, far greater than all these other impostors you see now, or maybe I just remember it that way, it has been a while.

In-between seasons we'd see them, honing their craft, raising the stakes, and preparing to exceed their competition time and time again; and often being the last to return to the track after celebrating another victory on the ultimate stage. The off-season training reports, were like our lifelines, our gateway back into the land of greatness, while we waited for the door to burst open further into the year, everyone was so excited to see what new strategies, new positions, new players, and new victories awaited.

But all that was so long ago, I am ancient now, and I was one of the last to see them train, it has been centuries since, and even my memory, weary, fades...

Didn’t we see pics of TMitch in training over the NY period, with SMitch & Jono O’Rourke & others? Up in Byron Bay or something?

I can confirm Sam Mitchell was in Byron Bay over the Christmas break. Spotted Sam and his family having breakfast at a cafe in Byron.

Moore, Hanrahan and Jiath seem closest to a debut of the bunch. But guys like Lewis, Nash, Glass, Cousins and Pittonet should be adding to their totals. Glass the only one on double figures for games with 10.

Mohr and Minchinton will be a good chance to cover injuries but I see them as reliable depth ala simpkin, Cheney and Mirra.

I think kosi and walker will be impressive at vfl this year but unlikely to contend for a senior appearance.

Edit: I forgot to mention Scrimshaw, I really have no clue really. I asked my gold coast contact about him (he has worked there and is mates with and lived with many of the players)

When asked if he would make it replied "I don't know, he hated it at gold coast and was unmotivated. If he stayed here he was no hope but if any club can make him a player it would be hawthorn."
No way Hanrahan and Jiath are ready for AFL. In fact I am prepared to stick my neck out and say neither will make it. (Ducks for cover) Hanrahan can do a few nice things but I do not see AFL-level hardness or endeavour. Jiath is... well... energetic.

Moore, on the other hand, I really like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back