Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

StalkingHawk

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've only made it to 10-15 sessions, so Axe can provide greater insight, but i'd go:

1. Howe
2. Impey
3. Pittonet
4. O'Meara (very good in January/Feb)
5. Jiath

1. 10-15 sessions is a lot.
2. Love axe, and he gets a lot of love here, but I reckon he’d say not to rubbish your opinion down in favour of his.
3. Your spread gives me confidence in your assessment.
4. Dominant performances from those 5, will have us top 4 again.

On each, card to elaborate on why they impressed and how you think it will translate into the season? (I think you might have done this a bit previously, but I want more 🤪)

I've only made it to 10-15 sessions, so Axe can provide greater insight, but i'd go:

1. Howe
2. Impey
3. Pittonet
5. Jiath

Interesting re Jiath. Having him top 5 makes me
Think that you think he could be playing in the 1s this year. Is that the case, or is this more based on effort?

Interesting re Jiath. Having him top 5 makes me
Think that you think he could be playing in the 1s this year. Is that the case, or is this more based on effort?
I don't know if he'll play seniors, I've more based it on effort. He stands out in match sims, he does some exciting stuff.

I think his body works faster than his brain, so he can run himself into trouble. But if he can put it all together, then we have a serious player

Excellent!

Why?
Gets involved in a lot of the action during match sims and seems to do very well in clearance drills. Seemed much cleaner than I've ever seen him, and last year always looked a half second off the pace, but this preseason has seemed to get up to speed very well.

1. 10-15 sessions is a lot.
2. Love axe, and he gets a lot of love here, but I reckon he’d say not to rubbish your opinion down in favour of his.
3. Your spread gives me confidence in your assessment.
4. Dominant performances from those 5, will have us top 4 again.

On each, card to elaborate on why they impressed and how you think it will translate into the season? (I think you might have done this a bit previously, but I want more 🤪)
Impey has impressed with his explosiveness and looks physically primed for a big year. Looks settled after 12 months back in his home state. Looks much cleaner with the ball and the major knock on him last year was how appalling his endurance was. I haven't noticed that to be a problem this pre-season.

Since January, JOM has been extremely exciting. No strapping on the legs, participated in all sessions and he isn't holding back. Importantly, the club/medical staff don't seem to be holding him back either.
Dominated the match sims and looks powerful. Has definitely slimmed down and looks ready to step up in Mitchell's absence

Gets involved in a lot of the action during match sims and seems to do very well in clearance drills. Seemed much cleaner than I've ever seen him, and last year always looked a half second off the pace, but this preseason has seemed to get up to speed very well.
That's great news. We need a big year from him.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Since January, JOM has been extremely exciting. No strapping on the legs, participated in all sessions and he isn't holding back. Importantly, the club/medical staff don't seem to be holding him back either.
Dominated the match sims and looks powerful. Has definitely slimmed down and looks ready to step up in Mitchell's absence

Man, if he delivers on the potential of being the best that's ever been then I don't know what I'll do. Pass out, maybe.

Aug 16, 2009
Behind you
AFL Club
Hawthorn

1. Howe
2. Impey
3. Pittonet
5. Jiath
Great news re Howe in particular given Tom out. Looking forward to seeing what Impey can do this year too and will be stoked for him if he can impact the game more consistently through improved fitness.

Thanks for your insights.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

1. Howe
2. Impey
3. Pittonet
5. Jiath

Have mercy on us if howe is our best player over preseason.
I'm rapt he putting in the hard yards but it's pretty concerning.
We can't continue to rely on sicily to play undersized downback and a ageing roughy to create aerial contest up fwd.
We need one of younger key stocks to have a booming summer,
I'm hoping Tob,lewis,brand,schoe,mohr can grab the bulls buy the horn.
Do any look like taking the next step?

Damon Greaves is growing in confiodence as the pre-season goes on. He is an elite kick but he also looks to have good natural game sense. He was very involved into todays game play, running off half back hitting his target every time.
For a minute there I was getting my wires crossed with Greaves and the big man Reeves. Was scratching my head trying to work out how we managed to sneak a 208cm ruckman who is a great tap ruck, an athletic runner, with elite kicking and good natural game sense onto our list. Sure would be nice!

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
We can't continue to rely on sicily to play undersized downback and a ageing roughy to create aerial contest up fwd.
That top 5 is largely effort based. Not performance based. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with showed putting in a lot of effort in one of the seasons we’ll need him & he needs to help us a team and him individually.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Why?
Why such a concern requiring a plea for mercy if Howe has been our best player over preseason?
I think that’s sensational news for us (particularly in the absence of Tom Mitchell for 2019) and sensational for Howe.
He’s the very person, after a difficult season last year, we want to step up.

Howe and Impey burning the track in January and February has absolutely nothing to do with the promise shown by the big fellas.
The reports from Axeman and others show that Mitch Lewis and Brand have also been prominent - no disaster that they may not have been rated in the top 5.

I think this preseason, by all reports, has shown that we have greater depth and talent than we’ve had for years.

Has a club ever had back to back brownlows awarded to two different players?
Collingwood in 1929 and 1930 with Albert Collier then Harry Collier
Fitzroy in 1932 and 1933 with Haydn Bunton Snr and then Wilfred Smallhorn
Fitzroy in 1935 and 1936 with Haydn Bunton Snr and then Denis Ryan
Collingwood in 1939 and 1940 with Marcus Whelan and then Des Fothergill
St Kilda in 1957 and 1958 with Brian Gleeson and then Niel Roberts
St Kilda in 1958 and 1959 with Niel Roberts and then Verdun Howell (hence three in a row)
St Kilda in 1966 and 1967 with Ian Stewart and then Ross Smith
Hawthorn in 1986 and 1987 with Robert Dipierdomenico and then John Platten
Brisbane in 2001 and 2001 with Jason Akermanis and then Simon Black
West Coast in 2004 and 2005 with Chris Judd and then Ben Cousins

Of course there are a number of instances where the same player has won it twice in a row.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I wouldn't stress... we only see a small improvement in development over the pre-season. Wait until the end of the 2019 season to see the reward for hard work from these players.

Back