Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
What bands do you guys think do great b-sides rarities?

The Pumpkins had enough to fill a decent album's worth of material on 'Pisces Iscariot' (and then the ones they didn't include!), plus a box set - and all the stuff you can get off the net, etc.

Likewise, Oasis also put together a good album, in 'The Masterplan', the title track, being one of their best songs not on a major release.

Similarly, the Verve also put out an album's worth of material from EP's, and b-sides - some of which would rate amongst their best material.

Radiohead also have had a few great songs of this nature, namely 'Maquiladora', which is one of my favourite Radiohead songs. The 'My Iron Lung' EP had a whole track-listing of classics too!

Likewise, you've also got tonnes of bands who released a number of EP's before becoming more prominent, such as Augie March.

So, a list of just some of my favourite b-sides and rarities include . . . (and I think I'll keep on adding to this list - as there as so many!) . . . .

Drown - Smashing Pumpkins (From the 'Singles' Soundtrack)
Meladori Magpie - Smashing Pumpkins (B-Side to 'Tonight, Tonight')
Medellia of the Grey Skies - Smashing Pumpkins (B-Side to 'Tonight, Tonight')
The Aeroplane Flies High - Smashing Pumpkins (B-Side to 'Thirty-Three')

Maquiladora - Radiohead (B-Side to 'High and Dry')
The Trickster - Radiohead ('My Iron Lung' EP)
Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong - Radiohead ('My Iron Lung' EP)
Permanent Daylight - Radiohead ('My Iron Lung' EP)
You Never Wash Up After Yourself - Radiohead ('My Iron Lung' EP)

The Masterplan - Oasis (B-Side to 'Wonderwall' - also found on 'The Masterplan' LP)

Rich Girl - Augie March (From 'Waltz' EP)
Movie Mondays - Augie March (From 'Thanks for the Memes' EP)

Ah . . . there are tonnes more too!

Okies well there are a few absolute GEMS by The Beach Boys that were released as B-sides, here's a list:

Shut Down - B-side of 'Surfin USA', 1963

In My Room - B-side of 'Be True To Your School', 1964

Don't Worry Baby - B-side of 'I Get Around', 1964

She Knows Me Too Well - B-side of 'When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)', 1964

The Warmth Of The Sun - B-side of 'Dance Dance Dance', 1964

Kiss Me, Baby - B-side of 'Help Me Rhonda', 1965

Let Him Run Wild - B-side of 'California Girls', 1965

God Only Knows - B-side of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', 1966 (YES!!!!!!! IT WAS ONLY A B-SIDE!!!!!! :eek: )

Wake The World - B-side of 'Do It Again', 1968

This Whole World - B-side of 'Slip On Through', 1970

Forever - B-side of 'Cool Cool Water' - 1971

Til I Die - B-side of 'Long Promised Road', 1971

Baby Blue - B-side of 'Here Comes The Night', 1979

Full Sail - B-side of 'Lady Lynda', 1979

Male Ego - B-side of 'Getcha Back', 1985

Kokomo - B-side of 'Still Cruisin', 1988

Okies well there's JUST A FEW :D songs that were just as strong as, or even bigger hits than, the A-sides. All from one band, unbelivable. :D

Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam. Great B-Side, beauitul guitar riffs and top vocals.

The Hitman

The Beach Boys' "Surfin USA" album contains a couple of 'b-sides' that are among the band's finest songs: 'Farmer's Daughter' (THE best Brian Wilson lead I have ever heard), and "Noble Surfer" (excellent group vocal). Both of which could have been instant hits. I can think of a dozen Beach Boys albums with similar tracks, oh and the box sets and dozens of rarities comipilations. And I may well name them. ALL. ;)

Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian have been putting out some pretty good B-sides for several years now. Both seem to have always had a policy of using non-album tracks, and while it's probably just to make a single buyable, it does make it interesting for the listener to get an otherwise unavailable track, or an obscure cover version.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back