Society/Culture Baby formula - Made in Australia, sold in China

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that we live in a global economy, a global market ext.

But surely the baby formula crisis is going too far?

If one of main core industries was under extreme threat from foreign companies we would place tariffs in order to keep our industry afloat.
So how can our politicians and law makers sit back and allow people to basically clear our shelves of baby formula (needed for our babies) and sell them to Chinese markets for profits?

Then you get extreme cases like the one below. Mothers of children who have severe allergies travelling all around the city just trying to be able to feed their kids. In this case not knowing if they will have formula for their child to eat, to live!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...hits-prescription-market-20180426-p4zbvp.html

Now I will put my hand up and say I am a father of two children under 2 & 1/2 so topics like this seem more important to me these days. Now I have been lucky that I have always been able to get the formula I require even if the brand we predominately use has been sold out. However this is bullshit that people (many cases foreign people) can walk into a store and clean out an aisle of baby formula to sell it online for a profit.

Surely enough is enough and some sort of regulation has to come into play? Surely the law makers should take action to make sure the children here receive the formula before it is sold over seas.

Why aren't our Baby Formula companies meeting the overseas demand directly. Can they not ship their product to Chinese retailers?
Not sure. I would say the amount of formula that can be produced in the country would not be able to keep up with the Chinese demand tbh.

Plus I could be wrong but my understanding was the Chinese government had made it extremely hard for companies to import baby formula directly into China in order to protect their industry.

A friend of my dads who is in the milk industry told me 5-6 years ago that shares in the milk companies especially a2 would sky rocket thanks to China. Wish I had of listened to him back then

I have heard about stories in Darwin of Asian women walking into Woolworths/Coles getting the set limit, walking out to their car to load it then walking back in to get more. It's big business for them.

images

Who cares?
So if you had a child who medically required a prescription formula to be able to eat and live you would be happy to have sweat on receiving an emergency supply from Nestle so you child could eat as all of the cans had been bought and sold on the black market to China?

So if you had a child who medically required a prescription formula to be able to eat and live you would be happy to have sweat on receiving an emergency supply from Nestle so you child could eat as all of the cans had been bought and sold on the black market to China?

Most medical s**t is made up bullshit.

Pay what you want. Don't charge me.

Not sure. I would say the amount of formula that can be produced in the country would not be able to keep up with the Chinese demand tbh.

Plus I could be wrong but my understanding was the Chinese government had made it extremely hard for companies to import baby formula directly into China in order to protect their industry.

A friend of my dads who is in the milk industry told me 5-6 years ago that shares in the milk companies especially a2 would sky rocket thanks to China. Wish I had of listened to him back then
The manufacturers can produce more but they don't want to grow too quick and spend a bunch of money on bigger factories etc if the demand from o/s falls away.

If you can, try and buy other less popular brands when you start your child on the stuff.

The manufacturers can produce more but they don't want to grow too quick and spend a bunch of money on bigger factories etc if the demand from o/s falls away.

If you can, try and buy other less popular brands when you start your child on the stuff.
Like I touched on before, despite having kids this has not effected me directly.

It is just more of a problem that has been reported about for a few years now, yet no law makers have bothered to do anything about.

Surely if politicians can bring in laws outlawing ticket scalping they could bring in laws outlawing the scalping of important nutrients for our children

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if the demand by the Chinese is because they have children with special medical conditions?

All our kids would we dead.

Gluten, peanuts and on and on and on....with this bullshit.
My girls are fine than ks. Peanut Paste sandwiches and all,
You do reliase that there is a massive difference between gluten intolerance and a child that struggles from lactose intolerance anaphylaxis?

I think its $10 a can profit
More you could get 400 or 500 rmb for a can just on the China side of the border after crossing from somewhere like Hong Kong. There is massive demand for non Chinese baby forumla and especially Australian which is seen as one of the top.

What if the demand by the Chinese is because they have children with special medical conditions?
So people should be able to scalp our formula over seas instead of giving it to our sick children?

But that isn't the case. It is getting sold to China by scalpers as the Chinese public lost confidence in the Chinese baby formula making countries almost 10 years ago because of an outbreak of melamine 10 years ago. Since then the Chinese government had made it hard for any foreign company to import into Chinas as to protect their industry. Therefore creating this problem where people are making big $$$'s off what should be illegal scalping imo

Carry on with your pretend illnesses.

Human race has survived.
the human race survived outbreaks of hepatitis b, diphtheria, whooping cough & polio but I bet you still gave you children their immunisations

You do reliase that there is a massive difference between gluten intolerance and a child that struggles from lactose intolerance anaphylaxis?

So you say. As I said my girls are a thousand times better off than gluten bitch of a mother. They actually get to go to and enjoy the beach.

Our world. Gluten schmuten.

So people should be able to scalp our formula over seas instead of giving it to our sick children?

Yes.

I agree there is a problem, but that doesn't always mean you have to find someone to blame.

If anyone, I think it's the suppliers that should be held responsible. We have a major job shortage in this country and this seems like a prime opportunity to make some money off the Chinese market. Even if we can't sell to them directly.

Sooner or later they will hit on the idea of buying by the pallet from the manufacturer. Only needs a house with an ordinary garage to store it.

the human race survived outbreaks of hepatitis b, diphtheria, whooping cough & polio but I bet you still gave you children their immunisations
Don't bother with the buffoon, he doesn't believe in science and is a conservative old man warrior.

I'd get my Chinese mates to hook me up.

The limit of how many to purchase isn’t doing much to reduce this. Although is it as bad as it was around 12 mths ago?

Don't bother with the buffoon, he doesn't believe in science and is a conservative old man warrior.

I wonder what kind of moron thinks formula is only for gluten intolerance or nut allergies..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back