Current Baby Shooting in Georgia, US

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
I just read about this case. They are charging a 17 year old as an adult for 1st degree murder and also charging a 14 year old as a juvenile. Absolutely terrible case! It started as a robbery but the Mum had no money on her so he threatened and then just shot the baby. We're expecting at the moment so found it tough to read. Apparently she also lost another teen son to a stabbing.

Anybody know the penalties in Georgia? I'm guessing they probably do have the death penalty there.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/two-u-s-teens-arrested-after-georgia-baby-fatally-shot-in-head-1.1207223

They will surely be charged as adults, but I am pretty certain that the death penalty is not available to minors even if they're charged as adults - as it should be, obviously.

Brunswick is a relatively small port city, and it's pretty rough from what I remember passing through (it's near a popular tourist area).

They will surely be charged as adults, but I am pretty certain that the death penalty is not available to minors even if they're charged as adults - as it should be, obviously.

Brunswick is a relatively small port city, and it's pretty rough from what I remember passing through (it's near a popular tourist area).

I've heard Atlanta has it's problems with violence. Is this still pretty big news there?

I've heard Atlanta has it's problems with violence. Is this still pretty big news there?

It was on the news tonight, and given Brunswick is about 400ks from here and way outside the usual coverage zone, it's obviously getting plenty of attention.

Atlanta used to be a very violent place. It has its problems still, and there are some seriously blighted areas, but violent crime has had a substantial decline over the time I have been here (9 years) and is a pittance compared to the virtual war zone that some areas of the city apparently were in the 80s.

It was on the news tonight, and given Brunswick is about 400ks from here and way outside the usual coverage zone, it's obviously getting plenty of attention.

Atlanta used to be a very violent place. It has its problems still, and there are some seriously blighted areas, but violent crime has had a substantial decline over the time I have been here (9 years) and is a pittance compared to the virtual war zone that some areas of the city apparently were in the 80s.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure how far away Brunswick was. Wow, 9 years. Good to hear they are getting things under control.

I blame video games for disconnecting kids from the reality that death is final.

I blame people for their own actions.

Unless they thought that the mother could load a previous save and regain her baby unharmed, then videogames have little to do with it.

So she has one 18-year-old kid who gets killed while trying to stab someone and a baby who gets shot in the head. Sounds like a lovely neighbourhood.

So she has one 18-year-old kid who gets killed while trying to stab someone and a baby who gets shot in the head. Sounds like a lovely neighbourhood.

The 18-year old was killed in New Jersey. From the reports I've read it was supposed to be a relatively safe neighborhood where kids walk freely to and from school

I just read about this case. They are charging a 17 year old as an adult for 1st degree murder and also charging a 14 year old as a juvenile. Absolutely terrible case! It started as a robbery but the Mum had no money on her so he threatened and then just shot the baby. We're expecting at the moment so found it tough to read. Apparently she also lost another teen son to a stabbing.

Anybody know the penalties in Georgia? I'm guessing they probably do have the death penalty there.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/two-u-s-teens-arrested-after-georgia-baby-fatally-shot-in-head-1.1207223
Georgia have the death penalty all right.

Suspect is 17 years old. the 2005 ruling of the supreme court in the Roper V Simmons Case is going to virtually rule the death penalty out as an option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

I blame people for their own actions.
So do I.

Unless they thought that the mother could load a previous save and regain her baby unharmed, then videogames have little to do with it.
I actually gave up playing video games a long time ago when this very thing happened to me. Not shooting someone, obviously, but I found myself in a situation where something went wrong and my instinct was that I could go back to my last save and do it again. Quite scary, actually.

My comment was a bit flippant, and obviously I have no idea of any of the background or factors in this case, but I certainly believe we have people around now who have trained their minds to see real situations the same way as a game.

Anyway, that's a whole other thing and not relevant to to this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back