Back knots - how to manage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been afflicted by back knots for 1-2 weeks now, and they are really pissing me off. Makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit still for any extended period of time, particularly when trying to read a book or sitting on crappy bench (i.e. be a uni student).

Can someone give me tips on how to get rid/manage the back knots? Will continued exercise (football training + gym) make it worse and should I rest until the pain goes, or push through the pain and hope it desists? How effective are frequent back stretches in dealing with it? Massages, hot baths, Deep Heat?

Any advice much appreciated.

Have been afflicted by back knots for 1-2 weeks now, and they are really pissing me off. Makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit still for any extended period of time, particularly when trying to read a book or sitting on crappy bench (i.e. be a uni student).

Can someone give me tips on how to get rid/manage the back knots? Will continued exercise (football training + gym) make it worse and should I rest until the pain goes, or push through the pain and hope it desists? How effective are frequent back stretches in dealing with it? Massages, hot baths, Deep Heat?

Any advice much appreciated.

Massage and heat pack and probably a few stretches. Youve probably got some instability in your spine, either lumbar or cervical and some exercises for the deep stabiliser muscles should be done. Upper or lower back?

Thanks for the reply.

Upper back, mostly on the right, though also feel some pain on the left/middle.

Can you give me some examples of deep stabilizer exercises?

It actually sounds like upper traps/rhomboids muscle knots. You may actually have a bit of lack of control of your scapula (shoulder blade), look up some 'scapular stabilising exercises' on google. Some exercises (depending how much control you lack) could be like a seated row, shoulder shrugs, push-ups, lat pull down. Anything that utilises the muscles that primarily attach to the scapula.

So working out the muscles won't make the knots worse but help them go away?

working on the right muscles will decrease your muscle imbalance (if this is your problem), and hopefully stop you getting sore and knots. Dont take this as gospel as without actually assessing your scapula control i have no idea if this is even your problem

Stretching won't work too well ... akin to pulling to tighten the knots. Soft tissue work will help (massage or foam / tennis ball rolling) ... akin to fiddling to loosen the knots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back