Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

This was as much as I could get before the paywall kicked in

“West Coast premiership defender Beau Waters has emerged as a surprise contender to succeed Trevor Nisbett as the CEO, but Don Pyke is still the favourite with a decision expected as soon as Thursday.

Sources have told The West Australian that two-time premiership player and current Sydney assistant coach Pyke is still the most likely new boss and could be announced as the next Eagles boss as soon as Thursday.”

Here you go.

West Coast premiership defender Beau Waters has emerged as a surprise contender to succeed Trevor Nisbett as the CEO, but Don Pyke is still the favourite with a decision expected as soon as Thursday.
Sources have told The West Australian that two-time premiership player and current Sydney assistant coach Pyke is still the most likely new boss and could be announced as the next Eagles boss as soon as Thursday.
Waters, 37, played 120 games for West Coast from 2004 to 2015 including in their 2006 premiership victory, but was forced to retire because of a serious shoulder injury.
Known as a tough, no-nonsense defender, Waters has made a name for himself in the business world since retiring from football.
Waters has strong ties to the club through his long career as well as being married to the niece of former chairman Russell Gibbs. He declined to comment when contacted by The West Australian.
6bfb46481337f50dbb2b819e5d9a74e9f66e9bbc.jpg
Beau Waters, Adam Simpson and Darren Glass look on during the West Coast Eagles 2014 team photo day. No
Pyke has previously said he had “some interest depending on what the role and the process entails and in my eyes what they’re looking for, because it’s got to match all parties”, but there was speculation this has waned.
A successful businessman outside of football, Pyke was in Perth as recently as late last month, joining fellow former Eagles at a race day.
West Coast are looking for a new chief executive after Nisbett announced he would not continue beyond his current contract, which expires after next season.
Waters holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Deakin University and is the Global Market Director for Sports and Entertainment at Jacobs - a company that works on the events like the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, FIFA World Cups, Commonwealth Games and tennis grand slams.
Melbourne great Garry Lyon says teams must offer up two top-10 picks to get No.1 out of West Coast Eagles
West Coast premiership player, Port Adelaide ruck Scott Lycett retires
He has also previously worked as a commercial analyst at Wesfarmers, as well as chief revenue officer at SevenWest Media and a director at LifeLine Australia.
“Beau is a highly accomplished global business leader, decorated professional athlete, and dedicated community champion with a strong focus on challenging the accepted and creating a lasting impact,” Waters LinkedIn profile reads.
“With over 20 years of experience in executive and leadership positions, managing multi-billion-dollar programs, professional sports and advocating for community outcomes, Beau has an exceptional track record of driving growth, building high-performing teams, and delivering outstanding results in the most visible and complex environments.
“Beau’s unique combination of leadership, commercial, community, and athletic experience provides a valuable perspective on legacy building, stakeholder management, strategic development, sustainable growth, and community engagement.”
a73f3f7bf4d99a43aa1671574961a95f9dc08e85.jpg
Beau Waters is the latest name linked to the West Coast chief executive role. Yes
Nisbett has been in the role since 1999 and sits on the board but is set to exit once a candidate is found and it could be as soon as before the New Year.
West Coast have enlisted the help of trusted consultant Lloyd Smith of Gerard Daniels to run the recruiting process which began in September.
There has been no official timeframe on when Nisbett’s successor is set to be announced.

Beau Waters a surprise name in Eagles CEO search as call looms with Don Pyke still the favourite

West Coast premiership defender Beau Waters has emerged as a surprise contender to succeed Trevor Nisbett as the CEO, but Don Pyke is still the favourite with a decision expected as soon as Thursday.

Sources have told The West Australian that two-time premiership player and current Sydney assistant coach Pyke is still the most likely new boss and could be announced as the next Eagles boss as soon as Thursday.

Waters, 37, played 120 games for West Coast from 2004 to 2015 including in their 2006 premiership victory, but was forced to retire because of a serious shoulder injury.

Known as a tough, no-nonsense defender, Waters has made a name for himself in the business world since retiring from football.

Waters has strong ties to the club through his long career as well as being married to the niece of former chairman Russell Gibbs. He declined to comment when contacted by The West Australian

Pyke has previously said he had “some interest depending on what the role and the process entails and in my eyes what they’re looking for, because it’s got to match all parties”, but there was speculation this has waned.

A successful businessman outside of football, Pyke was in Perth as recently as late last month, joining fellow former Eagles at a race day.

West Coast are looking for a new chief executive after Nisbett announced he would not continue beyond his current contract, which expires after next season.

Waters holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Deakin University and is the Global Market Director for Sports and Entertainment at Jacobs - a company that works on the events like the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, FIFA World Cups, Commonwealth Games and tennis grand slams.

He has also previously worked as a commercial analyst at Wesfarmers, as well as chief revenue officer at SevenWest Media and a director at LifeLine Australia.

“Beau is a highly accomplished global business leader, decorated professional athlete, and dedicated community champion with a strong focus on challenging the accepted and creating a lasting impact,” Waters LinkedIn profile reads.

“With over 20 years of experience in executive and leadership positions, managing multi-billion-dollar programs, professional sports and advocating for community outcomes, Beau has an exceptional track record of driving growth, building high-performing teams, and delivering outstanding results in the most visible and complex environments.

“Beau’s unique combination of leadership, commercial, community, and athletic experience provides a valuable perspective on legacy building, stakeholder management, strategic development, sustainable growth, and community engagement.”

Nisbett has been in the role since 1999 and sits on the board but is set to exit once a candidate is found and it could be as soon as before the New Year.

West Coast have enlisted the help of trusted consultant Lloyd Smith of Gerard Daniels to run the recruiting process which began in September.

There has been no official timeframe on when Nisbett’s successor is set to be announced.

They forgot renowned goldfish connoisseur as a profession

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For what it's worth, all I have heard from people based in Sydney is that they are certain D.Pyke will be taking a job at West Coast.

Interesting also whilst all this has been going on, the rest of the Swans coaching leadership (J.Longmire, D.Cox and J.McVeigh) are doing programs at Harvard and coaching meet-ups with the Boston Celtics and NE Patriots.

I'd say Pyke's absence from the above combined with his recent "holiday" meeting with West Coast probably speaks for itself.

It would not surprise me in the least if Pyke declared interest in the CEO role, but then qualified that the interest remains only if he can start immediately, and that he has no intention of waiting around for a year whilst Nisbett does a self-indulgent lap of honour.

Perhaps we will see tomorrow if an announcement is made.

Cliffs -

• Clubs to receive another $75,000 increase to the soft cap for 2024 in addition to the previously agreed $250,000 increase taking the cap to $7,275,000 (it was almost $10m precovid)
• Up to 20% of the senior coach’s salary will be exempt from the cap - Simpson was said to be on somewhere between $800k to $1m. So we get an extra $160-200k to our cap
• Tax on spending up to $1m over the cap to be reduced but no details given
• Other s**t like the mid season trade period and puck purchasing to be discussed with clubs prior to the draft

Another one to note amongst the changes which will be beneficial to the club, is the following:

Staff relocation deductions will also be made available to clubs to help them relocate without materially impacting the soft cap.

Another one to note amongst the changes which will be beneficial to the club, is the following:

Staff relocation deductions will also be made available to clubs to help them relocate without materially impacting the soft cap.
Embarrassing that this isn't already a thing, and guarantee it is negligible

Well if we cant get Pyke would love Beau Waters i said when he retired would make a wonderful CEO one day
Has had a amazing business career so far

Interesting how they managed to keep this one underwraps. I wonder if Nisbett was cut out of the selection process. Whoever it was, it looks like the Snitch was sent to the gulag.

Very happy with this appointment. Yes it's more jobs for the boys and I'm sure the selection process was a joke, but Pyke is a quality professional all the same. And I like having a CEO with real football acumen, it's a soft cap win too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as the news about Pyke is, there is a part of me that would love to see Beau Waters shirtfronting blokes at AFL House.

Happy Paul Rudd GIF by Saturday Night Live

Nisbett out the door by Christmas…Wow!! Never in a million years did I think he’d go this quickly after the weird announcement presser. Kudos to Trev for that at least…
Nisbett will likely be around until the end of 2024 as advertised. Pyke will have loose ends to tie up with Sydney and will likely be integrated throughout the 2024 season. If it is a straight handover at Christmas I'd be surprised.

Stoked at this

I’ve made no secret that I thought Pyke would be a great asset to the club

Always suspected that the curious press conference they held announcing the Clayton’s retirement of Nisbett was designed to pave the way to bring Pyke in as it had to be done this off season.

Excellent news

Nisbett will likely be around until the end of 2024 as advertised. Pyke will have loose ends to tie up with Sydney and will likely be integrated throughout the 2024 season. If it is a straight handover at Christmas I'd be surprised.

Pyke was an assistant coach at Sydney. There will be no loose ends to tie up as such, clubs don’t like coaches hanging around

He will need to arrange relocation from Sydney to Perth but it won’t be long before he takes up residence inside Lathlain

As to how the handover is done and how long Nisbett stays we’ll find out soon enough but Pyke doing a quasi review as he familiarises himself with the club’s operations before taking over fully makes some sense

Great start to the day. The sooner Pyke gets amongst it the better.

And for all the crap with Nessie and wanting him to move on, he has had a profound influence on a very successful club and that should not be overlooked. Thanks for the service Trev, all the best.

Excellent news. I get the view of "well I hope we looked outside of former Eagles" but he really seems like he was going to be an absolutely outstanding candidate against almost anyone. Performance wise, our biggest problems are football related (with club cultural issues possibly behind that) so a CEO with footy experience is obviously a positive.

Now he should just come out today and announce that he'll bring back the banner at home games - if any fans are on the fence that should win them over pretty fast.

The Waters twist at the end was unexpected. I wonder how closely we looked at him

He’s only 37 so would have been risky to bring in someone that young but it raises the question as to whether there’s a role for him either now or at some point in the future

Would be a good board appointment and future club President perhaps

Great appointment, he’s got a lot of work to do though, in getting this great club back to where it needs to be. With priority number 1, on the field performance, at all levels. Men’s 1st’s and 2nd’s, Women’s team.
All performing terribly.
I have no doubt once the honeymoon is over, the pressure will come on quickly for huge improvements.
Good luck Don!

If true that Nisbett will be gone by Christmas, I wonder if that was one of the terms to get Pyke across the line and seal the deal (why things changed from 2 weeks ago)
ie Pyke starts straight away with a clean slate rather than have the previous guy still hanging around for another 12 months.

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back