Backpacking

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunny Boy

Debutant
Apr 13, 2005
Other Teams
Hammerheads
Im thinking of going on a working holiday and going backpacking through europe next year. does anyone have any suggestions or hints on this. Is there any websites you could recommend.

thank you

I assume by "working holiday" you mean you're going to London first.

http://www.thegumtree.com was the most useful site I ever used. Awesome for finding somewhere to live. Also, on Monday on just about every street corner you will find a copy of TNT. All travel comapanies have ads in there.

Travelling. There's a few ways you can do it. You can do a Con-shag-I tour (Contiki) or something similar if you don't have a lot of time. There's Busabout, which is a hop on hop off bus company. You buy a pass for a set number of days /trips and choose how far you go. You have to organise your own accom/activities. They just supply the transport. Or you could do it by train, with a Eurail pass. It's more expensive than Busabout, but trains are usually more spacious and quicker than buses.

You could get some mates a lease a car for the summer. My wife did that 5 years ago wsith 4 friends through Renault Eurodrive. They leased a brand new car (5 door - kind of like a Mercedes A-class) for 11 weeks from Paris and just drove around Europe and camped everywhere and lived off 20 quid a day. They all dumped their tents in a Parisian bin after 11 weeks!

Another way is like the above but a van tour. People advertise on The Gumtree where they have vans and will be driving around Europe and are looking for people to go with them. very similar to the above. You could even buy a van yourself and find the people.

When I was there, I did lots of weekends at the start. It was really cheap to fly around Europe when I lived there in 2000-2003. I flew to Stockholm for the weekend for 24 pounds return! Ryanair, EasyJet, BMI are a few discount airlines where they have 99p seat sales plus taxes. I also did a few shorter 2-3 weeks trips around Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Turkey, Sweden-Denmark and The Netherlands instead of going for 12 weeks at once. I also did 2 weekend rugby trips to France and Italy to see The Wallabies play. I also played rugby over there and did some rugby tours to Spain, Wales and different parts of England.

There's probably alot more I could say, but I can't think of it now. There's a few seasoned travellers amongst Bigfooty so if you've got any questions, just post them and they'll get answered.

Sunny Boy said:
Im thinking of going on a working holiday and going backpacking through europe next year. does anyone have any suggestions or hints on this. Is there any websites you could recommend.

thank you

do you want to live in the uk and travel from there or do you want to backpack around europe?

What is your budget? How many months will you be in Europe? What countries do you intend to work in? Will you be travelling alone? Do you know people in Europe?

Your post is so vague it's hard to really give any advice.

i wanna spend at least a year in europe. Starting off by working in london then back packing after that. I wanna know what sort of budget to work on and im travelling by myself. Is there any good travel sites or anything anyone knows of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back