Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Just for a bit of fun who would you choose if you could select one of each part of the field to form a side from any era and club.

I would choose between the following

Backs- Geelong 07-11
Corey Scarlett Milburn
Mackie Harley Enright

Port Adelaide 00-04

Pickett Wakelin Wanganeen
Hardwick C Cornes S Burgoyne

Carlton 95-99
Christiou Silvagni Manton
Mckay Koutifides Camporale

Midfield
Brisbane 00-04
Keating Voss Akermanis Black Lappin Power

West Coast 04-07
Cox Judd Cousins Kerr Fletcher Embley

Melbourne current
Gawn Oliver Viney Petracca Brayshaw Langford

Forwards
Essendon 2000-2003
Mecuri Lloyd Moorcroft
Hird Lucas Ramanaskus

Geelong current
Stengle Cameron Close
Dangerfield Hawkins Rohan

Hawthorn 08-14
Rioli Franklin Breust
Gunston Roughead Dew

I think I would choose

Backs- Geelong 07-11
Corey Scarlett Milburn
Mackie Harley Enright

Brisbane 00-04
Keating Voss Akermanis Black Lappin Power

Hawthorn 08-14
Rioli Franklin Breust
Gunston Roughead Dew

Just for a bit of fun who would you choose if you could select one of each part of the field to form a side from any era and club.

Backs- Geelong 07-11
Corey Scarlett Milburn
Mackie Harley Enright

Port Adelaide 00-04

Pickett Wakelin Wanganeen
Hardwick C Cornes S Burgoyne

Carlton 95-99
Christiou Silvagni Manton
Mckay Koutifides Camporale
For Carlton take out Kouta and Camporeale who both olayed up the ground more. Replace with Sexton and Peter Dean around that ‘95 era. Was an awesome defence agreed.

Geelong current
Stengle Cameron Close
Dangerfield Hawkins Rohan

I know they're odds on to win a flag in a couple weeks time, but reckon you might want to wait until then before calling them an all-time great forward line??

I know they're odds on to win a flag in a couple weeks time, but reckon you might want to wait until then before calling them an all-time great forward line??
I wanted to just put a non premiership team in but I didn’t haha, fair enough but I don’t think many sides have had 2 and 3 in the Coleman and then a small forward kicking around about the top 10 as well, rest a superstar of the modern era on the half forward flank as well and case closed really.

For Carlton take out Kouta and Camporeale who both olayed up the ground more. Replace with Sexton and Peter Dean around that ‘95 era. Was an awesome defence agreed.
I think I like my selections better even though they were shuffled a little.

I like the selections in the OP and would go similarly..

Hawthorn's forward line in their 1991 Grand Final was pretty decent too..

Hudson, Brereton, Hall
Jarman, Dunstall, Dear

The only real 'weak' link there is Paul Dear, but then again he won the Norm Smith that day. If like the OP you extend the side out over more than 1 season then you can add the likes of Buckenara (who was in all the previous GF's) and a host of other quality options.

In contemplating this, it makes me realise how some clubs tend to consistently produce elite players of a certain type and not others. My own club is a good example of this - we have produced arguably more elite forwards than any other club (have had many eras of great forward lines) but have barely produced a single elite ruckman in 100 years.

Most clubs of similar age to ours have produced plenty of elite mids but while we have also had our fair share, our seem to be comparatively less (in raw numbers). On the flip side, elite KPP's are in relative abundance.

Take Hawthorn's TOTC KPP spine. They had:

FB: K. Moore
CHB: C.Mew
CHF: D.Brereton
FF: P.Hudson

That leaves a "2nd spine" of..

FB: C. Langford
CHB: P. Knights
CHF: L. Franklin
FF: J. Dunstall

That is a ridiculous 2nd spine that would all be around the top 5 all time in their position and better than most sides 1st choice spine.

Then we have D.Scott and P.Salmon as our rucks, with a big gap behind them (with some saying David Hale our next best ever). Those guys wouldn't make most teams 5th side.

I like the selections in the OP and would go similarly..

Hawthorn's forward line in their 1991 Grand Final was pretty decent too..

Hudson, Brereton, Hall
Jarman, Dunstall, Dear

The only real 'weak' link there is Paul Dear, but then again he won the Norm Smith that day. If like the OP you extend the side out over more than 1 season then you can add the likes of Buckenara (who was in all the previous GF's) and a host of other quality options.

In contemplating this, it makes me realise how some clubs tend to consistently produce elite players of a certain type and not others. My own club is a good example of this - we have produced arguably more elite forwards than any other club (have had many eras of great forward lines) but have barely produced a single elite ruckman in 100 years.

Most clubs of similar age to ours have produced plenty of elite mids but while we have also had our fair share, our seem to be comparatively less (in raw numbers). On the flip side, elite KPP's are in relative abundance.

Take Hawthorn's TOTC KPP spine. They had:

FB: K. Moore
CHB: C.Mew
CHF: D.Brereton
FF: P.Hudson

That leaves a "2nd spine" of..

FB: C. Langford
CHB: P. Knights
CHF: L. Franklin
FF: J. Dunstall

That is a ridiculous 2nd spine that would all be around the top 5 all time in their position and better than most sides 1st choice spine.

Then we have D.Scott and P.Salmon as our rucks, with a big gap behind them (with some saying David Hale our next best ever). Those guys wouldn't make most teams 5th side.
That’s a great forward line was matthews ever in there with those names?

That’s a great forward line was matthews ever in there with those names?

Yes, Matthews shared a forward line with Dunstall, Brereton and Buckenara (but not Jarman). The 1985 GF had Dunstall, Brereton and Matthews all named in the forward line with John Kennedy and Ken Judge. Bucky was inexplicably dropped for that game and kicked 7 in the reserves Grand Final just to emphasise the selection error.

Matthews played more of his career in the 70's of course and played in some pretty handy forward lines in that period too.

One such forward line:

Hendrie, Martello, Keddie
Matthews, Hudson, Moncrieff

Those names might be less familiar to some, so:

Peter Hudson - needs no introduction as arguably the greatest full forward of all time with the highest goal average of all time, 4 Colemans, 145+ goal seasons , etc.
Moncrieff - 90+ goals in a season twice, kicked 10 in a match a few times and kicked 600+ goals in his career, despite retiring early due a knee that couldn't be fixed and some time at full back. 2 flags and was the leading goalkicker for the year in both and kicked 4 in a GF.
Keddie - Cult hero HFF'er who won 2 best and fairests, was All Australian, had another year where he kicked 47 goals and is most famous for winning us the '71 GF (would be Norm Smith if it existed) and setting us on our path to continued success*. (Paul Chapman the modern equivalent)
Hendrie - HFF'er who pushed into the middle and still kicked 250+ goals, finished 3rd in the Brownlow one year, kicked 50+ goals another year, played in 2 flags in other years, represented Vic, etc.
Martello - Underrated CHF who was a great mark and good enough to be named CHF in the Italian team of century. 3 flags at CHF.

and of course Leigh Matthews who many regard as the greatest of all time.

Was a handy forward line to say the least.

(* the '71 GF was billed as the 'clash of the minnows' with St. Kilda and Hawthorn both having struggled badly for much of their history and having both won 1 flag before going back to struggling. St Kilda ruthlessly targeted Peter Hudson who was concussed and ineffectual. St Kilda had a 27 point lead in a low scoring affair (Hawthorn kicked 5 goals in 3 quarters) and looked to have the game won heading into the last quarter. Keddie was moved to full forward and told "you have to win this for us Bob". He kicked 4 goals in the last quarter to get Hawthorn up by 7 and win the flag. IT was a real sliding doors moment with Hawthorn going on to be a confident, dominant force throughout the 70's (and beyond) whilst St Kilda slid back and haven't won a flag since.

His cult hero status also comes from this game as a church in Hawthorn had a sign at the time "what would you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn" to which someone had written underneath "move Peter Hudson to CHF". Well, Hudson was moved to CHF in that last quarter and Keddie "rose from the dead" (he'd had 5 touches for the day) and won us the game. This lead to him being called Jesus and "lord and saviour" for the rest of his career, much to his embarrassment :))

Last edited:
Yes, Matthews shared a forward line with Dunstall, Brereton and Buckenara (but not Jarman). The 1985 GF had Dunstall, Brereton and Matthews all named in the forward line with John Kennedy and Ken Judge. Bucky was inexplicably dropped for that game and kicked 7 in the reserves Grand Final just to emphasise the selection error.

Matthews played more of his career in the 70's of course and played in some pretty handy forward lines in that period too.

One such forward line:

Hendrie, Martello, Keddie
Matthews, Hudson, Moncrieff

Those names might be less familiar to some, so:

Peter Hudson - needs no introduction as arguably the greatest full forward of all time with the highest goal average of all time, 4 Colemans, 145+ goal seasons , etc.
Moncrieff - 90+ goals in a season twice, kicked 10 in a match a few times and kicked 600+ goals in his career, despite retiring early due a knee that couldn't be fixed and some time at full back. 2 flags and was the leading goalkicker for the year in both and kicked 4 in a GF.
Keddie - Cult hero HFF'er who won 2 best and fairests, was All Australian, had another year where he kicked 47 goals and is most famous for winning us the '71 GF (would be Norm Smith if it existed) and setting us on our path to continued success*. (Paul Chapman the modern equivalent)
Hendrie - HFF'er who pushed into the middle and still kicked 250+ goals, finished 3rd in the Brownlow one year, kicked 50+ goals another year, played in 2 flags in other years, represented Vic, etc.
Martello - Underrated CHF who was a great mark and good enough to be named CHF in the Italian team of century. 3 flags at CHF.

and of course Leigh Matthews who many regard as the greatest of all time.

Was a handy forward line to say the least.

(* the '71 GF was billed as the 'clash of the minnows' with St. Kilda and Hawthorn both having struggled badly for much of their history and having both won 1 flag before going back to struggling. St Kilda ruthlessly targeted Peter Hudson who was concussed and ineffectual. St Kilda had a 27 point lead in a low scoring affair (Hawthorn kicked 5 goals in 3 quarters) and looked to have the game won heading into the last quarter. Keddie was moved to full forward and told "you have to win this for us Bob". He kicked 4 goals in the last quarter to get Hawthorn up by 7 and win the flag. IT was a real sliding doors moment with Hawthorn going on to be a confident, dominant force throughout the 70's (and beyond) whilst St Kilda slid back and haven't won a flag since.

His cult hero status also comes from this game as a church in Hawthorn had a sign at the time "what would you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn" to which someone had written underneath "move Peter Hudson to CHF". Well, Hudson was moved to CHF in that last quarter and Keddie "rose from the dead" (he'd had 5 touches for the day) and won us the game. This lead to him being called Jesus and "lord and saviour" for the rest of his career, much to his embarrassment :))
Wow hawthorn have produced such an amazing amount of great forwards.

Who would make your all time forward line for the hawks ?

Handy having

Franklin Brereton Jarman
Rioli Dunstall Matthews

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow hawthorn have produced such an amazing amount of great forwards.

Who would make your all time forward line for the hawks ?

Handy having

Franklin Brereton Jarman
Rioli Dunstall Matthews

I would have:

Franklin, Brereton, Buckenara
Hudson, Dunstall, Matthews

though if I was picking a whole team, Matthews would probably go in the middle, allowing me to put one of Rioli or Jarman in the pocket.

Roughed on the bench as the quality utility that can play mid, ruck, back and of course, forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back