• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did Murray ever ruck?

And why didn't we shift him onto Luko, when Hinge was being embarrassed?
Why was Worrell not selected!!!!!!
O Brien was pathetic gave us less than nothing.
We desperately need some a grade mids.
Pedlar may well be our best mid by year's end. He just knows where to be at the centre bounce can read the oppo ruck taps and makes good decisions by hand and foot and has very good disposal.

Last edited:

My point was made in the initial post, gee you get touchy easy
Yeah, when people ask persistent, empty questions.

I watched the replay (have you?), mainly to see if I was mistaken about Worrell.
I looked for Worrell, but not with a statistician's minute eye-for-detail.
I thought Worrell was ok, but neither very good, nor "brilliant" as someone else claimed.

You keep banging on about "... but how closely did you watch it? So it wasn’t a close look ...".

Several posters melted when Worrell was dropped. I didn't.
Hinge back in for Worrell seemed fair to me.
Now posters are saying "See? We should have retained Worrell!"
1) Nobody could have predicted Doedee would go down so early.
2) If Worrell had been selected for the Darwin game, it might have been him injured anyway.

Similar to the GWS game in Round 1.

Lead by Rowell and Lukosius, they tore us apart in the middle period of the game. A few times this year Laird and Dawson have been made to look average, including that period where Gold Coast piled on the goals.

I’d like to see Dawson and Fogarty swap in the middle on occasions like last night when a player like Rowell gets on top, just for a few centre bounces. Also Laird and Jones. For something different when it’s not working.

That loss might hurt ladder wise by the end of the year. I still have us making the 8, provided we beat Essendon and then allowing us to beat the sides below us and lose to the sides above us.

Keays was excellent, our best. I wish he had’ve handballed to Rachele at the beginning of the last quarter though. It would’ve lifted the whole team. Even though we kicked a goal not long after, I feel like it might’ve provided the spark we lacked.

I can understand why Worrell was dropped in order for the team to have more run out of defence and in slippery conditions, but with Doedee going off early, we were exposed by the 3rd tall.

I watched the replay (have you?), mainly to see if I was mistaken about Worrell.
I thought Worrell was ok, but neither very good, nor "brilliant" as someone else claimed.

You keep banging on about "... but how closely did you watch it? So it wasn’t a close look ...".

2) If Worrell had been selected for the Darwin game, it might have been him injured anyway.
banging on………………persistant 😲 now I know the arrogance I’m dealing with

Dawson and Rachele yeah

The problem with Laird is he is not very creative.

Thats where the balance comes in. You still need a defensive player who can win their own ball and release the creative players.

Laird is the perfect #3 in our midfield.

Regularly has 30 possession 5 plus clearance anonymous games.

A key reason our midfield is so poor is the lack of creativity.

Oppo knows exactly what Laird will do and how to curtail it.

Guys like Dawson, Rachele, Pedlar and even Pedlar are more creative less unpredictable.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But they don't know what Dawson/Rachele will do. Its all about balance and the sum of the parts.

The best our midfield has looked this year is when Dawson, Rachele and Laird were together.

Can't believe people rip into Keays. He had a super game and was one of the few players who gave it his all for the entire game.
Yeah he definitely tries, but he is terribly skilled, a turnover machine and kills momentum. He's actually the poorest skilled player on the team with Butts.

Yeah he definitely tries, but he is terribly skilled, a turnover machine and kills momentum. He's actually the poorest skilled player on the team with Butts.
Taranto is easily the most terribly skilled player in the AFL .....and RICH gave him a 7 year Contract

I know they don’t, but hopefully opposition clubs dismiss Laird this easily. Would help us win more games!
I am not saying oppo dismiss him and leave him unchecked.

He is good at hunting the ball and beating his man.

However his creativity when he wins it is negligible.

Dawson creates more dynamic play. Early signs, but Pedlar does too.

Our midfield is predictable and easy to pick off.

Thats where the balance comes in. You still need a defensive player who can win their own ball and release the creative players.

Laird is the perfect #3 in our midfield.

But they don't know what Dawson/Rachele will do. Its all about balance and the sum of the parts.

The best our midfield has looked this year is when Dawson, Rachele and Laird were together.
I reckon Keays is better defensively than Laird. With the attacking balance. Keays is the weak link in my best 3. And where we need to upgrade. I guess Rachele is that guy from what we have now.

Pedlar is probably the one who takes Lairds spot. He is a great defensive stoppage mid, not just attacking.

The goal he kicked was brilliant. Smother, loose ball get, attack goal mouth.

Need more of that at centre breaks.

Long time reader but seldom poster.
In my working career Darwin was part of my Area so I travelled there many, many times .
My observations were.
1. Coming out of the airport (Particularly in Adelaide winter) the heat hit you like walking into a brick wall.
2. On the second day the heat is still difficult and you realize from the yellow colour of urine you need to drink significantly more water.
3. On the third day you are ACCLIMATISING and look forward to a swim in the hotel pool.
4. On the fourth day your body feels much better, and you dread going back to the cold of Adelaide.
And I was only walking around. Certainly not an athlete.

We flew in on Friday. They had been there a week.
We lost the game on Tuesday or Wednesday by simply not being in Darwin.

So forget about the PLAYERS, THE COACHES and the UMPIRES. Focus on the area of the AFC that made this decision.
If anyone knows when we went to Ballarat and Launceston (should have won by more)I would be delighted to know when we travelled.

If anyone knows anyone at the AFC tell them to look up the word ACCLIMATISE.
Our problem may not be in playing away from home, but in preparation.

We fly as one, but need to get smarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Keays kicking .....it seems a lot of Clubs are having issues with the kicking efficiency of key players

*** these % represent the +/- variance from the League Average
1685859049504.png

BULLDOGS v GEEL

Bailey Smith ....his ball use has been scratchy for much of the season. He is rated as the fifth-worst kick in the AFL out of the 174 players who have recorded 100 or more kicks.

In my working career Darwin was part of my Area so I travelled there many, many times .
My observations were.
1. Coming out of the airport (Particularly in Adelaide winter) the heat hit you like walking into a brick wall.
2. On the second day the heat is still difficult and you realize from the yellow colour of urine you need to drink significantly more water.
3. On the third day you are ACCLIMATISING and look forward to a swim in the hotel pool.
4. On the fourth day your body feels much better, and you dread going back to the cold of Adelaide.

So forget about the PLAYERS, THE COACHES and the UMPIRES. Focus on the area of the AFC that made this decision.
If anyone knows when we went to Ballarat and Launceston (should have won by more)I would be delighted to know when we travelled.

Might explain why we started so well in the first quarter and faded in the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter then at half time they stayed in the cold room before the half started when the GCS players didn't and were on the ground doing their warm up. Hence we got smashed early in the 3rd quarter until responding late.

Last edited:
I'm watching the replay of last night's game.
The passage of play ending in the Milera goal in the 2nd quarter is team-magic.

Several waves of forward I50s for the Crows are repelled.
Then:
Two strong efforts by Pedlar at R half-back, handball goes over Jones' head in the R back pocket,
Jones gathers (shepherded by Soligo), handballs across to Hinge, kicks to Sholl kicks to Thilthorpe.
The switch is good and Crows are running on, overlapping, down the LHS.
Sholl runs on and gets the handball from Thilthorpe, Sholl kicks to Smith,
Smith kicks to Walker who handballs to Milera who must've run 60-80metres to get it.
Milera sells a little candy, then goals.
Beautiful footy, by any standard.

At that stage, the Crows are 35 points up and dominating.
NO sign of the 10-goal match turnaround to come, starting with an unexpected 9-goal run.

3 goals to GCS in 11 minutes before half-time. That's bad enough. I've re-watched that 3-goal period before half-time and can't see any huge change in effort. A couple of 50-50 Umpiring decisions, a couple of bad bounces, that's all.

Then another 4 goals in 8.21 minutes after half-time, then 2 more after that.
The evaporation of that 35-point lead is horrible to watch.
Serious questions (anybody, please):
--- what did Dew or the GCS' players do, to make that happen?
After half-time, GCS lifted for sure, dominated centre clearances and Rowell was ferocious.
--- what did Nicks or the Crows players' do, to address and/or stop it?
I could not see a thing. Maybe the Crows were as shell-shocked there as I am now.

My observations were.

Very good, very clear observation. Please post more often.

That's not our culture though. More like, "phew, Eagles at home this week, will be nice to see the struggling guys feast on an easy kill."
Don't think we'll get it easy next week...Sheed, Yeo and Kelly all had good games until they ran out of puff in the last qtr. We'll need to be on our game. Dogs fell away in the last against Geelong, and I wouldn't mind betting the previous game had a lot to do with it.

The real ugly for our season to date is how susceptible we are to violent, violent swings in matches.

Nugget in there is that part of those swings are our patches of brilliance, but there are some patches where we just shut down completely and cannot arrest momentum of the oppo.

I get it, we are still young and consistency will come and lead to less violent swings but geez it's a tough watch at the moment and knowing no lead is safe. I just want to see something tangible from Nicks when things go poorly like that. Just shut it all down and ride the wave.
Trouble is yesterday our midfield wasn't inexperienced or young and that's where we got beaten up. Only lost CB's by 6 which may not seem like a huge number but on a night transitioning the ball from end to end being extremely tough it's pretty bad. Needed to break even to win. Can't blame young kids for that when we had Laird, Dawson, Keays, Sloane in there for the bulk of the night with just a couple small cameos from our young guys.

Guys like Soligo played a shocker too which happens, long season, young body etc but these guys weren't the ones letting the ball go down deep into our 50 off centre clearance. I also felt like our own clearances were shallower and easier to clear the 50 because we didn't get penetration for a territory battle type night.

Why are people complaining about suburban grounds? The oppo has to play there too. We wouldn’t have beaten dogs at marvel or Gc at Metricon
We've had to do more than our fair share of obscure travel this year but I don't think it's really a big deal. I'm sure as we've played better this year we'll probably get a slightly more balanced fixture next year. Fact is we were s**t house the last 3 years so were hardly deserving of prime time stuff. That said nothing explains why Carlton continues to get prime time billing & probably nothing strange travel wise when they've sucked for a decade.

First off didn’t you say Worrell didn’t play because of conditioning? Now you’re saying he wasn’t selected for Hinge, so you agree he was omitted for a returning player.

If Worrell played it could have been him injured? Did you seriously post this? Is that the defence you’re resorting to now? Wow.

No one could have foreseen Doedees injury but was foreseen that Sloane needed a break. As it works out, had Nicks had the gumption to actually rest Sloane, play Hinge on the wing and retain Worrell, like a smart poster suggested, then structurally we would have been much easier to cope.

Butts has been so fumbly lately

I know he's never been super polished but he's been back bit panicky recently
Butts is an introvert .....similar to McAsey

Always looks to have self doubts .....I doubt he's much of a talker, and not the "General" you need as a KPD .....I doubt Murray is any better

Too quiet back there in our DEF

Butts has been so fumbly lately

I know he's never been super polished but he's been back bit panicky recently
Thought he has had a good few weeks prior to yesterday... when most of the side were fumbling. Even the usually clean Tex.

Back