• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he has had a good few weeks prior to yesterday... when most of the side were fumbling. Even the usually clean Tex.
His defensive stuff has been good

It's the ball in hand stuff he's struggling with

I watched the Brisbane win reply yesterday, specifically to spot Worrell.
Preface: Worrell has a big future and will be best-22.

This is not a dig at you, but I am mystified why so many posters melted when Worrell was dropped and are complaining about it after last night's loss.
As far as I could see he started nervously (understandable, I know), went almost-missing in the second quarter and ran out of puff with cramps also after the third (vs Bris.). Serious question: did he do a LOT of 1%-ers off the ball to attract high praise?
Someone said he had 19 disposals at a high DE --- I don't know how many of his kicks were after
a point --- and 525metres gained, but I just did not see it.

Had 4 play ons and kick ins last week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haven't read all the thread yet, sorry if things are repeated.

Good - when we're on, we do look good.

Bad - Agree that was pretty poor, esp last qtr

Ugly - Still getting reamed by the 2019 priority pick to GC when with Carlton's 2018 pick we should have got one of Rowell, Anderson or Jackson, but ended up with Macasey.

I saw an interesting stat on Twitter that the Crows have been at best a 50/50 team away from home in contending seasons (prelim or better). It’s why winning at least 9-10 games at home is so important if wanting to make top 4 and at least 7-8 to be making finals.

It’s therefore no surprise to see an inexperienced group that are good at home, but aren’t as good on the road. Outside of the Bulldogs, our away losses have all been winnable games into the 4th quarter. The number one thing to work on over the off season is our ability to close out games that we are dominant in early, as most of our wins have been in games where we start from behind. I don’t think it’s a fitness issue either, I think it will come with more time playing together and increased confidence when they finally nail that first away win against a highly ranked club.

I saw an interesting stat on Twitter that the Crows have been at best a 50/50 team away from home in contending seasons (prelim or better). It’s why winning at least 9-10 games at home is so important if wanting to make top 4 and at least 7-8 to be making finals.

It’s therefore no surprise to see an inexperienced group that are good at home, but aren’t as good on the road. Outside of the Bulldogs, our away losses have all been winnable games into the 4th quarter. The number one thing to work on over the off season is our ability to close out games that we are dominant in early, as most of our wins have been in games where we start from behind. I don’t think it’s a fitness issue either, I think it will come with more time playing together and increased confidence when they finally nail that first away win against a highly ranked club.

I can only assume a lot of posters here are young and don't remember that even in the Blight years we had some shocking losses in years we won premierships. Or that in 2017 when we were minor premiers we won our first six games then were down 0.0 to 10.4 at quarter time against North in Tasmania. We always needed to win a handful of away games to make finals this year and we're not winning enough of them.

For a developing side the away wins are always the last thing to come.

We didn't need to give up pick 5.
Yes we did..

And its what we did.

And ut was worth every cent (pick)

Seriously, its just hilarious we are still going over this in here.. its done. We used pick 5 on Rankine, it was well worth it.

We’ve always been poorer away from home than at home..

So are most clubs..

Youre having to take a plane flight and play on a ground your opponent is a hell of a lot more familiar with.

Its a disadvantage from the start..

Which is why I scratch my head at the complaints in here recently of us having to play at all these regional grounds..

I’d rather us play these teams at these regional grounds that they also have to fly to and are far less familiar with than their home grounds.. it sort of evens up the playing field so to speak..

Gold Coast stayed there and had played there the week before.
But is that an advantage or a disadvantage?..

Players spending a whole week away from home sleeping in a hotel?..

More advantage in that than staying home and playing on your home ground you reckon?

Theres pros and cons to everything..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More advantage in that than staying home and playing on your home ground you reckon?

Worked for them, they beat two teams in the top 8 at the time they played them.
Was clearly an advantage to them.

This is what rationalisation looks like.

We haven't won premierships in those years. Just conceding that we suck on the road isn't a road to success.

Long time reader but seldom poster.
In my working career Darwin was part of my Area so I travelled there many, many times .
My observations were.
1. Coming out of the airport (Particularly in Adelaide winter) the heat hit you like walking into a brick wall.
2. On the second day the heat is still difficult and you realize from the yellow colour of urine you need to drink significantly more water.
3. On the third day you are ACCLIMATISING and look forward to a swim in the hotel pool.
4. On the fourth day your body feels much better, and you dread going back to the cold of Adelaide.
And I was only walking around. Certainly not an athlete.

We flew in on Friday. They had been there a week.
We lost the game on Tuesday or Wednesday by simply not being in Darwin.

So forget about the PLAYERS, THE COACHES and the UMPIRES. Focus on the area of the AFC that made this decision.
If anyone knows when we went to Ballarat and Launceston (should have won by more)I would be delighted to know when we travelled.

If anyone knows anyone at the AFC tell them to look up the word ACCLIMATISE.
Our problem may not be in playing away from home, but in preparation.

We fly as one, but need to get smarter.
The dogs went to Darwin earlier I believe. Still lost but at least they gave themself a good chance to win.

The club has always been a poor club away from home since we came into the league. Tbh the premierships were down to the brilliance of Blight, Jarman and McLeod. If not for that we would be Freo.

In 1997 we were 4-6 away from Football Park in the regular season, obviously 2-0 in finals for a 6-6 total record.
In 1998 we improved to 5-5, then 3-1 in the finals for an 8-6 away record.

So honestly pretty mediocre both premiership years. Never been a strong suit.

7 wins, 2 losses and a draw in 2017 though, which was actually better than our Adelaide Oval record of 8-4.

The game was more than likely lost at selection. Nick's could have kept Worrell in but he couldn't get him out fast enough. He's never had a good attitude towards him and that's backed up by the lack of games he has given him. Appatentky his training standards weren't that good initially and it looks like Nick's doesn't forget that even though he seems to be a good trainer now and a lot more professional. We should have made Smith or Hinge as the sub. The result may have been different but the midfield really hurt us and having Sloane in there facilitated that.

if Chayce was over, it was by a baby step, the other was a metre and a bit. Don't think it cost us the game, they had advantage numbers and space and we're likely to score anyway. But it was a brutal and uneccessary decision, there's ordinarily much more leeway and some time afforded to correct position in those situations.
The umpire must tell a player to move back 30 cms. It's a ridiculous rule anyeay but that's beside the point. He didn't even award Jones the luxury to inform him he was over the mark and allow him to move back. He wasn't over the mark anyway btw. He seemed like he wanted to pemalise us and Chayce just happened to be the player involved. Umpires take a disliking to some teams and ours was obviously that team for that umpire. I would sack him or suspend that prick for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Nick's could have kept Worrell in but he couldn't get him out fast enough. He's never had a good attitude towards him and that's backed up by the lack of games he has given him. Appatentky his training standards weren't that good initially and it looks like Nick's doesn't forget that even though he seems to be a good trainer now and a lot more professional.
Nicks has repeatedly referred to Josh as 1 of the best, if not the best trainer, throughout the last preseason. Has also mentioned a few times that it's normal for players to take a few seasons to transition into a professional environment.

Also recall Josh has being referred to as 1 of Nicks pets.

Nicks has repeatedly referred to Josh as 1 of the best, if not the best trainer, throughout the last preseason. Has also mentioned a few times that it's normal for players to take a few seasons to transition into a professional environment.

Also recall Josh has being referred to as 1 of Nicks pets.
He may love the bloke but he doesn't seem to have compete confidence going by the amount of games played. I think when Butts wasn't playing well Nick's could have tried Muzz, Worrell Doedee. Or he could have moved Hinge to a wing and played Worrell. Nick's didn't try any of those options. I'm actually surprised that Worrell resigned tbh. Lucky for us with Doedee going down, he must really like Adelaide.

*Worrell was injured so the point about replacing butts was invalid but I'm moreso gong back to previous seasons and his lack of opportunity.

Last edited:
The umpire must tell a player to move back 30 cms. It's a ridiculous rule anyeay but that's beside the point. He didn't even award Jones the luxury to inform him he was over the mark and allow him to move back. He wasn't over the mark anyway btw. He seemed like he wanted to pemalise us and Chayce just happened to be the player involved. Umpires take a disliking to some teams and ours was obviously that team for that umpire. I would sack him or suspend that prick for the rest of the year.
Yes - as I recall it, Jones was running towards the player who took the mark, and took a step or 2 to stop. It happens all the time, and that's the point at which the umpire should be telling the player "1 metre back - stand", it's standard practice, surely. Terrible decision.

He may love the bloke but he doesn't seem to have compete confidence going by the amount of games played. I think when Butts wasn't playing well Nick's could have tried Muzz, Worrell Doedee. Or he could have moved Hinge to a wing and played Worrell. Nick's didn't try any of those options. I'm actually surprised that Worrell resigned tbh. Lucky for us with Doedee going down, he must really like Adelaide.

*Worrell was injured so the point about replacing butts was invalid but I'm moreso gong back to previous seasons and his lack of opportunity.
He played 1 game vs St Kilda in 2021

He played the last 4 games of 2022

Sounds like he was close to being a R1 starter this season prior to his hamstring injury. And now has had to try and force his way back into the best 22.

Match committee make the selections each week. Personally, I posted earlier last week that I'd like to see him keep in the team with the possibility of moving Hinge to a wing. I just don't think Nicks is unfairly targeting him.

So much for the spur of the moment change in travel plans to fly via Darwin to catch this game on the way back to Melbourne.

The 9 goal run on was inexcusable, but the Crows did rally and come from behind to take the lead and there was a feeling around the ground that the Crows would run over Gold Coast from there.

But then the umpires decided to settle things. The 50 against Jones was bad, but I witnessed about 27 interpretations of HTB in this game.

And you are living under a rock if you think the AFL entertainment industry doesn't have an agenda, the umpiring was to script but I couldn't help but notice that via another AFL manipulated outcome, Anderson lined up for the wrong team.

Back