Autopsy Bad, badder and ugly v Tigs - Rd 9, 2020

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm sure you are right on both counts but Richmond have had success against both teams at their home grounds in the past. The biggest advantage COVID19 has given the Tiges is an exemption to play at Geelong's velodrome and the Optus Oval miniground. Geelong had a heap of home games scheduled prior to the imposition of hard borders and must have been salivating at the time. It's all history now.
Yeah your record vs Brisbane is amazing. I’m not holding it against you guys just saying in a season like this you need little things like that going your way. I’d much rather play Brisbane at Metricon vs Gabba like we have to next week

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It appears we were sold fools gold at the end of last season. Yes we had 8/3 winning run home at yes we had some good wins. However I think the 2 GWS within a couple weeks in retrospect highlight were we really at when the going gets tough. Round 21 we smashed them when they had a lot out and not much to play for and come finals when they had a lot to play for we got smashed.

I was hopeful that the 8/3 run was our true form and not the finals drumming. We sit sit 5/4 so result wise not great but not terrible. However when you look at each game it is a lot more grim.

Round 1 smashed by the pies 2 inside 50's first 1.5
Round 2 smashed by saints never in the game after first quarter
Round 3 Win Yes good to get the win but GWS had no Greene, Kelly and Whitfield after first quarter
Round 4 Win Swans are very average side
Round 5 Win North are very poor
Round 6 Loss Smashed by the blues never in it
Round 7 Win Bombers lot of injuries
Round 8 Win Suns ground a win in a 50/50 game that could went either way.

The losses tell us a lot more than the wins. Any side that we cannot win the contested ball and then use it cleanly we are in big trouble. We lack leg speed and when our very poor forward line gets rebounded against we just cannot defend it if the opposition to not turnover with bad skills.

It was so apparent last night we would win the ball under pressure because they were quick enough to close us down, they win the ball and they are off to the races. I know we have a few good players out but they had a lot more. It also helps when you have Dustin Martin in form he is unstoppable.

Last edited:
Hard to single out players for last night's effort because collectively the team didnt function as a cohesive unit. The usual suspects carried as much as they could (Macrae, Daniel, Libba) but overall it was pretty clear cut that this team has a long way to go yet. As most have already stated the gap between our best & worst needs a shitload of improvement.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Guys like Lipinski and Richards will cop it every time we lose.

But please stop and think why we got hammered tonight.

For me, it was ball use, speed in transition and a pathetic forward line.

Ball use - Lipinski is arguably our best ball user. I like Richards having the ball in his hands as well.

Speed in transition - big issue for Lipinski for sure. He’s slow. And that’s a problem for our midfield. But if his fellow mids used the ball like him, there’d be a lot less turnover for him to have to defend.

Richards has elite speed to help our transition D.

Forward line - these boys don’t play there (or very rarely if they rotate through). They’re not responsible for this.

These 2 guys are fringe mids, so when we lose, people look at their low numbers and point the gun.

But zoom out. Are these guys really the problem? For me, they help balance a team and a list that is missing some key ingredients.

Thank God Bazalenka has added some zing to our midfield. But we need more speed and more class through there.

And as for our forward 50?? Good lord. Sam Power has work to do.
My meltdown will be impartial don't worry

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
We seem to be about middle of the road. Some good kids yet some aging players as well.

Forward line is not working. Lloyd is just about done, was lead to the ball all night, too much hanging back waiting for the cheap one. I think our side functions better with two taller leading targets. Last year in our good run it was Schache and Naughts, this year seems to be Bruce one out against two half the time. Need another tall at least for leading patterns to open the play up. Give Schache a run at it, play him every game until years end if not happy trade him. Others get more chances than he gets. Lloyd and Gowers wouldn't be in my team.

We haven't replaced Morris unfortunately. Cordy and Keith are roles players who are not great 1 on 1. Really need a defender we know can do a job each week rather than rely on our zone defence each week. If it opens up we leak goals easily.

Bont is a star but he is well down on he best, bar the Sydney game. Will improve once Dunks comes back in I think, another big body.

Next two weeks are going to be tough. With a few players coming back in we might make a late run at it again.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I personally think we lack experience and with that motivation this year. We don't have enough players who drive professionalism at the club. We instead have a lot of kids who look like they're wearing dad's suit.

Bont is a prime example. Love him to bits but I don't think he's a great captain yet. He plays the role of captain but it's a lot of empty rhetoric and posing as of now.

The side unfortunately just needs to grow. It's sad that four years after a flag that is the case but we just kept getting younger. It seems by design too.

I think we can and will get better but we need a new voice or two in the coaches box and some new voices around the club.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We could start with your changes to make us competitive against a ladder leading Port.

I don’t think there are any easy answers...we’re just not that good. This being said I like to read others suggested changes, some of them seem pretty sensible to me.

I agree, there’s plenty of sensible posts in here but they seem to be outweighed by some pretty irrational ones. You must be more tolerant than me Bazz as some of them are real head scratchers.

As for next weeks changes, a few definitely need to be made but I don’t think selection night will determine if we’re competitive or not against Port.

Gowers can’t hold his spot. Is terribly out of form.
Trenners wasn’t bad but not sure about his role in the side.
Not sure about the others, it’s hard to pinpoint or lay blame when we were beaten as a whole pretty badly.

The coaches hands are tied at the moment but hopefully we see some returning players in Hunter, Dunkley, Naughts and co the next few weeks. It’ll help having a stronger 22.

ummmbont

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree, there’s plenty of sensible posts in here but they seem to be outweighed by some pretty irrational ones. You must be more tolerant than me Bazz as some of them are real head scratchers.

As for next weeks changes, a few definitely need to be made but I don’t think selection night will determine if we’re competitive or not against Port.

Gowers can’t hold his spot. Is terribly out of form.
Trenners wasn’t bad but not sure about his role in the side.
Not sure about the others, it’s hard to pinpoint or lay blame when we were beaten as a whole pretty badly.

The coaches hands are tied at the moment but hopefully we see some returning players in Hunter, Dunkley, Naughts and co the next few weeks. It’ll help having a stronger 22.
Go back and watch the game

Easton wood coast is 7 goals he flew into our own defensive guys time and time again dropped marks turned over the ball
Worst single have I have ever seen
Now tell me why Luke we have a gun ruckman in sweet emergency and you play a over the hill hack instead please explain

West
Weightman
Both perfect for dewy conditions don’t play what the f....

We need answers fast I no Dimma well he couldn’t believe who we took into that game

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Easton wood coast is 7 goals he flew into our own defensive guys time and time again dropped marks turned over the ball
Now tell me why Luke we have a gun ruckman in sweet emergency and you play a over the hill hack instead please explain

West
Weightman

We need answers fast I no Dimma well he couldn’t believe who we took into that game
In what world is Sweet a “gun ruckman”? You’ve had a conversation with Dimma since last night? What else did he have to say?
1596072328467.gif

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s so out of shape don’t you think Pugz?

He can’t get seperation, and cannot get off the deck to launch in the air at all.

And he’s spent when the call hits the ground.

COVID killed his season. Clearly he didn’t do the work. Shame.
All of that is true, but if he could take his chances and kick the very get-able goals that he has been failing to score on he'd have 20 goals for the year

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

West
Weightman

So you're an ex-player, and you 'no' Hardwick well?! Or is Dimma referring to Dimattina? I'm confused.
Two ex-players who know Hardwick well are Josh Mahoney and Brett Montgomery, seeing they all played in Port's flag side together.
I know you're not Josh Mahoney. Are you Monty?

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You’ve literally written you know (no lol) Dimma “couldn’t believe who we took into that game”. How could you possibly know that if you haven’t spoken to him since late last night after the game?
Now you’re saying you haven’t spoken to him but you know that’s what he thinks so you’re now a mind reader? And I’m the utensil head?

Also claimed previously to be an ex-player. Sounds legit on both counts, right?

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lipinski and richards had 87% and 92% game time respectively yet combined for 19 touches whilst offering very little defensively. Lipinski also went at 44% disposal efficiency.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The tackle numbers for Lloyd, Gowers, Richards and Lipinski are horrendous considering they averaged about 8 touches each last night.

Lipinski the only one who has some sort of decent form line in 2020. The other 3 should all go (Lloyd can have one more crack due to his return from injury).

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What are you 8 lol

Reading what you've actually written in your posts, I would suggest you are the one exhibiting primary school grammar. Anyway, I've lost interest in your posts, they add nothing to the discussion. Cheerio.

The issue with Lipinski is that we took a solid inside midfielder and not just stuck him on the wing, but stuck him on the wing and asked his role to essentially be that of two-way running and blocking space after losing Hunter and Lachie Young in consecutive weeks who play that role.

He can certainly play, but he was so woefully out of position. Actually, out of "role" as he can still kind of play as an outside midfielder, but not one with that specific role.

Back