Autopsy Bad, badder and ugly v Tigs - Rd 9, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The issue with Lipinski is that we took a solid inside midfielder and not just stuck him on the wing, but stuck him on the wing and asked his role to essentially be that of two-way running and blocking space after losing Hunter and Lachie Young in consecutive weeks who play that role.

He can certainly play, but he was so woefully out of position. Actually, out of "role" as he can still kind of play as an outside midfielder, but not one with that specific role.

On top of that though we were using him as a wing when first drafted, then decided he needed to learn to win his own ball more and sent him back to the VFL to play inside midfield then he thrived in that role last year and now we want him to be a wing again, when he’s clearly a mid/forward who if not in the centre bounces should be in the forward line

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
So look. Last night I was very balanced and very settled. But I can't let this go.

Billy Gowers had the worst game as far as ranking points go since 2010.

So let's do the math. There are 189 games per home and away season, with 9 finals. That equates to 396 team appearances.

396 multiplied by the amount of players per team equals 8,712.

There have been 2,124 games since the commencement of the 2010 season (4,248 team appearances). Multiply that by the number of players per team and that equals 93,456.

Of the 93,456 appearances by AFL players since the commencement of the 2010 season, Billy Gowers had the worst.

Now obviously those numbers aren't completely accurate due to injuries but gee whiz.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So look. Last night I was very balanced and very settled. But I can't let this go.

So let's do the math. There are 189 games per home and away season, with 9 finals. That equates to 396 team appearances.

There have been 2,124 games since the commencement of the 2010 season (4,248 team appearances). Multiply that by the number of players per team and that equals 93,456.

Of the 93,456 appearances by AFL players since the commencement of the 2010 season, Billy Gowers had the worst.

Now obviously those numbers aren't completely accurate due to injuries but gee whiz.

Not disagreeing, but Australia - "maths". Sorry, bugbear of mine.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

But that’s OK, he’ll still be in next week 😤

lateniter

All Australian
Oct 9, 2012
NSW Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, East Perth, Spurs, 49ers
I'm cutting the team some slack this season due to the whole ridiculousness of it.
Yanked away from home into a strange environment with no familiarity except your team mates.
Yeah, Richmond looked really good and we were terrible.
But we were really good last week. Just about every team is up and down from week to week.
We had to have this season, and credit to everyone who's tried to keep the show on the road.
But I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it can't end soon enough.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm cutting the team some slack this season due to the whole ridiculousness of it.
Yanked away from home into a strange environment with no familiarity except your team mates.
Yeah, Richmond looked really good and we were terrible.
But we were really good last week. Just about every team is up and down from week to week.
We had to have this season, and credit to everyone who's tried to keep the show on the road.
But I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it can't end soon enough.
We were not really good last week at all lol.

Our defenders were really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
we were Terrible, woeful even. That may have made the game to watch as a dogs supporter.
However the way the game is adjudicated of late makes our wonderful sport close to unbearable to watch. When you hear a whistle on every play and have no idea which way the calls are going to go, when an umpire pays a free to a player after his teammate marks further down the ground, or when an umpire calls play back at a major disadvantage to the team who won the invisible free kick just purely unwatchable not even getting into the point where umpires penalties the player who takes possession of the ball and rewards those second to the contest.
I'll probably continue to watch bulldogs game because I'd be lost with out afl I highly doubt I'll be watching the other 8 games I usually would. I feel sorry for new converts to the sport who try to interpret these inept calls and can't see any reason why rugby/basketball supporters should start watching our game.
Rant over, won't bring it up again

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club leading goal kicker, just a stat? Right. How exactly were Lloyd and Gowers carried to their achievements in 2018 and 19?
I think the biggest issue is that we had a slow small/medium forward leading our goals in 2018-20 gowers-lloyd-wallis.
All play similar styles at varying degrees of skill however you can only have one of these in a modern day forward line. Wallis on top of being the most in form of the three is also the best defensively and clearly the most accurate so should be the one chosen. Once we have 2 in the forward line or 3 in last night's case you see the ball flying out of the forward line fast and more often then not resulting in a goal against

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK. Where do we start? I think I may as well be blunt. Our forward line is crap. It is a horrendous mix with only 2-3 capable forwards. We have relied on our bloody midfielders and defenders to kick goals this year to get the wins on the board. Wallis, Vandermeer are easily our best forwards, and one has only played 8 games. Bruce hasn't been up to form but lets be honest, he's probably past his best and has had no support all year mainly because of Naughton, our only other capable KPF being out and our gameplan being shocking. I remember before Naughton got injured, he was flying for the same pack marks as Bruce! WTF is that about? Wallis can take a bow for his efforts up forward. He's a true footballer, not an athlete.

I'll start with the positives. Macrae will go down as a great. consistently 20+ touches in shortened quarters while his team lets him down. He is not the fastest man on the field but he is one of the smartest. Can weave through packs like nothing.
Crozier is an important cog in the backline engine, sorely missed him against Carlton.

There are some players that have done some good such as Keath, Daniel, Williams but I won't go into detail. Now I'll move onto the negatives.

Richards hasn't improved in all his time at AFL level. Has played the majority of his games at AFL level and has not shown any signs of toughening up. He strength is his pace but he is awful in almost everything else.
Lipinski is the king of half-efforts. Looked on the rise last year and has fallen. Looks as if he has no motivation.
And don't get me started on Gowers. My nan could do better.
JJ, Suckling, our senior players offered bugger all. They should be replaced by the suitable replacements ASAP.
Lloyd was our best defensive forward all night after re-watching.

We are missing resilience all across the ground. Naughton, really our only physical presence up the ground - OUT. Dunkley, phyiscal presence in the middle - OUT. We have no true leader in any area of the ground. Missing a KPD in the back and any leadership from any player in the middle or up forward.
Dare I criticise Bont but I will. He is nowhere near where he has been in previous years. I'd say his debut year was far better. What has happened? Is the responsibility too much for him? A question that requires an answer.

Our gameplan is once more exposed by a competent coach. Overusing the handball only works when everyone is on and we are playing in the dry. We should change our plan ASAP because guess what? Every team figured it out 3 years ago.

There is one thing that this playing group needs to do. I don't care if some are first-year players, seniors close to retiring or even captain. They need to toughen up.

Last edited:

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've nearly lost all hope in this team. No 'honourable losses' this year. All disappointing effortless thrashings. Now I understand how dogs supporters through the 60s - 80s felt.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the biggest issue is that we had a slow small/medium forward leading our goals in 2018-20 gowers-lloyd-wallis.
All play similar styles at varying degrees of skill however you can only have one of these in a modern day forward line. Wallis on top of being the most in form of the three is also the best defensively and clearly the most accurate so should be the one chosen. Once we have 2 in the forward line or 3 in last night's case you see the ball flying out of the forward line fast and more often then not resulting in a goal against

You can keep going further back, Major. We’ve had slowish small/mid sized fwds win our goal kicking the last 8-9yrs. Not ideal but a reflection of our lack of tall talent. Not a blight on the players at all.

Not sure I agree that there’s a set number of certain players that fwd lines need to function well. Having the perfect balance doesn’t always equal results.

I do agree with your point about last night. Fwd line not functioning the greatest and some individuals out of form, probably not an ideal time to have the balance a little off.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi guys,
I come in peace and not here to put the boot in. Honestly, I think early on once things started going richmond’s way a lot of guys went in to self preservation mode. I don’t think it was coached but I do believe the players are very aware of how tough the next few weeks are going to be plus the enormous amount of injuries happening all around... so once the tiges got love from the umps I think a few boys put their heads down. Thought u guys looked like mounting a challenge but again stupid frees (the bump!!!) just sucked out all the positive efforts u guys had made.
Honestly don’t think the tiges played great, they just had confidence and ran around doing what they wanted.

Good luck against port!! Hope u roll ‘em and then are spent to play us haha.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The same people in every thread starting trouble and arguments with anyone that dares disagree with their all knowing supremacy and IM the problem

hahhahahaha never change BF never change

Was a cr@p performance from a mid table team move on the next week and the next two floggings that will put us about where we belong on the ladder.

Our midfield is the root problem because it’s simply too slow to get back against teams that run in numbers. Watch the replay and watch the waves of tiger players that pushed forward and our players either couldn’t keep up or didn’t try. It’s personal and coaching now. Our list is miles off what some think it is unfortunately.

Since the start of 2017 Bev has the same win ratio as Simon Goodwin, just think about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back