Autopsy Bad, badder and ugly v Tigs - Rd 9, 2020

fanchic

Draftee
Jun 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here is the list of players with 4 turnover or more, 8/12 are bulldogs players, 6/7 for 5 or more turnovers. it's not rocket science, you just can't win a game of footy when you turn the ball over so much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.18.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.18.20 PM.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 164
Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We aren’t talking about individual goals Immortalmike. Club leading goal kicker, how did Gowers and Lloyd achieve it while being carried by their teammates? I’m interested to know how that happens.
Work it out yourself bro you're not worth my time.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think the biggest issue is that we had a slow small/medium forward leading our goals in 2018-20 gowers-lloyd-wallis.
All play similar styles at varying degrees of skill however you can only have one of these in a modern day forward line. Wallis on top of being the most in form of the three is also the best defensively and clearly the most accurate so should be the one chosen. Once we have 2 in the forward line or 3 in last night's case you see the ball flying out of the forward line fast and more often then not resulting in a goal against
Some excellent points here. I would add that Wallis is the most defensively minded of the group and easily the best fit for modern football.
The same people in every thread starting trouble and arguments with anyone that dares disagree with their all knowing supremacy and IM the problem

hahhahahaha never change BF never change

Was a cr@p performance from a mid table team move on the next week and the next two floggings that will put us about where we belong on the ladder.

Our midfield is the root problem because it’s simply too slow to get back against teams that run in numbers. Watch the replay and watch the waves of tiger players that pushed forward and our players either couldn’t keep up or didn’t try. It’s personal and coaching now. Our list is miles off what some think it is unfortunately.

Since the start of 2017 Bev has the same win ratio as Simon Goodwin, just think about that
I don't think it's a pace issue at all MD. I genuinely think it's effort based. For example there was a moment early in the second if I remember correctly where Gowers was "chasing" his man after losing a contest and Bontempelli started behind him and overtook him in order to pressure the player. If you line them both up Gowers would be significantly faster than Bont but it's all about effort.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some excellent points here. I would add that Wallis is the most defensively minded of the group and easily the best fit for modern football.

I don't think it's a pace issue at all MD. I genuinely think it's effort based. For example there was a moment early in the second if I remember correctly where Gowers was "chasing" his man after losing a contest and Bontempelli started behind him and overtook him in order to pressure the player. If you line them both up Gowers would be significantly faster than Bont but it's all about effort.

I’m talking as a whole mate

Not one of our mids is what you would call fast, there was a stage last night where they had the ball on their half back and just ran on waves with Bont, Jack, Lipinski all dragging a$$ and couldn’t keep up.

I agree Gowers effort was simply not trying and it stood out badly. Forget the rest of his game he should be dropped for that and that alone and I believe it was still in the 1st qrt

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I’m talking as a whole mate

Not one of our mids is what you would call fast, there was a stage last night where they had the ball on their half back and just ran on waves with Bont, Jack, Lipinski all dragging a$$ and couldn’t keep up.

I agree Gowers effort was simply not trying and it stood out badly. Forget the rest of his game he should be dropped for that and that alone and I believe it was still in the 1st qrt
I get what you're saying. I'm just one of those who thinks pace is overrated and can be mitigated by effort and intensity both of which we lacked severely last night. I do agree that the Tiger's pace was pretty devastating last night however.

I also agree with your assessment of Gowers. And by the way ouch if it was first quarter. Can't even blame being tired.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
We really are lacking that same desperation of 2016 with the likes of Boyd, Picken, Smith, Dalhause, Morris, Biggs who just gave their all.

Compare that to the efforts of Lloyd, Lipinski, Gowers etc. the desperation is just not there week in week out. Anyone hard we can bring in? maybe westy, anyone else?

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We really are lacking that same desperation of 2016 with the likes of Boyd, Picken, Smith, Dalhause, Morris, Biggs who just gave their all.

Compare that to the efforts of Lloyd, Lipinski, Gowers etc. the desperation is just not there week in week out. Anyone hard we can bring in? maybe westy, anyone else?
Many won't like it but Hayes is the best 2 way runner we have that isn't named hunter.
West is good. Butler also has the desperation and repeat efforts but his disposal has hurt him at the top level. Cavarra also has the pressure and speed needed up forward.
Alot falls on the return of Hunter dunkley and naughton arguably 3 of our best 5 players.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Many won't like it but Hayes is the best 2 way runner we have that isn't named hunter.
West is good. Butler also has the desperation and repeat efforts but his disposal has hurt him at the top level. Cavarra also has the pressure and speed needed up forward.
Alot falls on the return of Hunter dunkley and naughton arguably 3 of our best 5 players.
2 way running is fine but he has an inability to play football.

There’s too much value put into ‘types’ of player. Hayes, Gowers, even Gardner are all desirable ‘types’ of players but have the fundamental flaw of being very low quality footballers.

Give me a quality round in a square hole over a square in a square hole that can’t kick the square to his square-mates.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We bloody miss Naughtob's aggression up forward.

I was optimistic after our loss against Carlton. I actually welcomed it if it was a wake up call and could provide us with a reference to fix our deficiencies. I dont get that feeling after last night.

We went into our shells just like we did against GWS in last year's final.

The worst thing is that we play Port Adelaide on Monday and they are a young and speedy side.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs

Dunks

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2 way running is fine but he has an inability to play football.

There’s too much value put into ‘types’ of player. Hayes, Gowers, even Gardner are all desirable ‘types’ of players but have the fundamental flaw of being very low quality footballers.

Give me a quality round in a square hole over a square in a square hole that can’t kick the square to his square-mates.
Play to many offensive types and not enough capable of the defensive and we get a repeat of last night.
Lipinski is great as a bit of polish when things are going out way but baring one game hasn't been sighted defensively. Richards is the same although he has been rather unpolished offensively aswell this season

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I’ve thought this too. Hunger and desperation are great attitude. Libba has it. Wallis has it.

Back