Club Legend
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Played it fine IMO.
Your top pair is vulnerable to the overs that they probably have and if they're willing to call a shove then go or it.

Side note, there is a school of pub poker players who will never raise AK because they hate it, but will happily call a shove because deep down they know it's a big hand. I've shoved weaker aces over people limping AK and obviously getting called. It's really tilting, and no they're not intentionally trapping with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Pub Game Final 16 Blinds 2/4K action involves 3 players

1. Myself , smooth suave and Bondlike - about 60k stack
2. Chaser - middle age female that chases Aces - about 60k stack
3. RAG- (random Asian Guy) - 11k stack

RAG loses a big part of his stack just on a break. His gf is out and she is waiting

1st hand after the break I am BB , Chaser is UTG 3 , RAG is UTG5

I get 8/10 off - ehh not great

Chaser calls the blind , RAG shoves his last 11k ( I expected this so not surprised) I decide to put another 7k in to look at the flop and Chaser calls. I put Chaser on an A .

Flop is 484 (one club) because I have 2 pair , its a low flop and Chaser has only called I go all in - Sure Chaser could have A4 or A8 but I think I am ahead

Chaser calls and we all turn our cards over ; RAG 10/K off (I have him covered) Chaser shows AK clubs - hmm but I am still ahead. Turn is a Club , River is a Club

I was happy with my initial thinking and if Chaser folds I win, If club doesnt turn on river or turn I win.

Now I could have checked and knowing Chaser she may have checked the flop also. But that would have made me shoving on the turn a certainty anyway. I felt aggression was the better play.

I got caught out but I am happy with the thinking and position
There probably aren't a heap of 4s in people's ranges at that stage, and it's hard to hit a flop so by connecting with the board you're usually pretty strong there. You also block another 8 with yours, making it less likely as well. I think you played it fine, but I think the AK often calls there too, backdoor flush draw and 2 overs, plus the chance that the A high is already good at that point too.

Regardless, I'm shoving it I connect on that board in that situation.

I did something similar and lost, it was late and everyone was short stacked, I hit a 3 on a 9 9 3 board, was called by KJ and he hit a K on the river. My theory is same as yours, they've missed the flop most likely and I'm ahead at this point so get it in as it's late in the tourney and blinds will bleed me out soon.

Deledio_Judd

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Played it fine IMO.
Your top pair is vulnerable to the overs that they probably have and if they're willing to call a shove then go or it.

Side note, there is a school of pub poker players who will never raise AK because they hate it, but will happily call a shove because deep down they know it's a big hand. I've shoved weaker aces over people limping AK and obviously getting called. It's really tilting, and no they're not intentionally trapping with it.
Agree. Some old school pub poker players would prefer to play smaller pots rather than risk it all.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I got rivered twice on the money bubble playing online last night, both times had top pair, both times my opponent only had one of a suit, but caught the 4 card flush.

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
I got rivered twice on the money bubble playing online last night, both times had top pair, both times my opponent only had one of a suit, but caught the 4 card flush.
I got lucky a few times last night and chipped up on the river so I understand when the following happens

Blinds 400/800 I am BB

Turn over to see AA
Players limp/fold until guy in the cut off raises to 2200 . New player to the table and I dont recall seeing him at the venue ie I have no read other than chip value

SB - calls 2200 - very loose , very aggressive prone to bluffs or playing hunches

I raise to 5k -Cut off calls , SB calls

Flop is Qs, Jc , 7c - SB bets 5k

Because I have played with SB at various times I know his range is wide and could be anything but I at least credit him with a Q given his bet size , or he could be testing me as he also knows my limitations.

I shove all in for around 27k

Cut off folds and SB hums and hahs for a bit - he knows my game and at that stage I usually shove when I have something or am attempting to dominate with something.

He calls

I turn over my AA and he turns over AQ clubs so he has the Q plus the flush draw.

Turn is 2 spades

River is 2 clubs he gets the flush and I am heading to the car park

Shrug - happy with the call as the pot would have helped a lot. Understand his call also , not a bad beat nor a vent - just poker gods getting me back for my river luck

MrKK

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Had my first pub poker win in about a year last night, against a field of 53. Such a rollercoaster night.

Early on I had AA cracked by J9o, bet the whole way and they rivered trips. Down to 11k out of 30k starting stack by first break. Got a bit back so I had 20k by second break but coming back to 2/4k blinds by that stage.

I get a couple of double ups, then have AA cracked again by rivered trips (A7, board 986 7 7). It was blind v blind and I slowplayed preflop so have to shoulder some blame there.

On the FT I'm down to 75k and in last place on the money bubble, blinds 30/60k. UTG shoves 140k, one fold, im next with K9s and figure i won't see a better hand before blinds hit me so I call. He has 77 and I flop a K.

Post bubble I went on a heater where I always seemed to have their hand dominated.
A9 v K9 (actually lost that one)
A3 v J3
A8 v A2
T7 v T2 (final hand)

Been a long time between drinks!

Top Bottom