Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wish it was on later in the week and went for a bit longer, I normally last about 2 hours give or take, aside from the first time I played, made the final table and came 4th, went past 1030 that night from a 730 start.
I Play Thursday/Friday 7.30 start and best Final Table home time has been 10.30. Worst has been 11.15.

Usually get anywhere from 23 right up to 42 players

Playing tight in Pub Poker (PP) can work until a certain point.

I also play fairly loose ie pay for the flop when the blind levels are low enough to play around then tighten up like a screw when they get above a certain level. This gives me an opportunity to steal some straight draws or 2 pair flops etc but also to study other players and what they do consistently. Because if PP has taught me anything is players are consistent

From the A chasers to the best card bettors.

BUT

The problem I generally encounter is hitting the final table with a small stack if the cards dont come out. Then is when I feel the pressure you feel , the need to increase my stack in the last 16. Again if the cards dont come then it becomes problematical

Good luck because PP can be a great atmosphere if you dont take it too seriously but also a good learning area on quick study and finding out what frustrates you

Tight is right in Pub Poker haha. Definitely correct on the atmosphere also can be a lot of fun if you don't take it to seriously.

I also like playing loose and seeing flops early on, but tighten right up once blinds get to about 1/2k or 2/4k.
Interesting, I play and would argue the opposite is correct in pub poker with the short blind structure. At the beginning the blinds are low and you can afford to play tight against loser ranges who want to see a "cheap flop". As it progresses, you will simply be blinded out if you wait for premium hands that connect with the flop, and when everyone wants to tighten up to make final table that's when you should be loosening your range and attacking blinds, etc.

It sounds like you're not making too many final tables so maybe try the opposite strategy one night? That being said, the reality is you're going to need to win flips and get some lucky rivers to win pub poker tournaments, that's just the reality of the structure. Especially when it gets to shove luck poker when people are push or folding preflop with short stacks, often with any two cards.

Interested to get thoughts on this hand,

BB was 5/10k with a small ante, I had 130k left so 13 BBs, had been card dead for a while and folded around to me just before the Button, I shoved with AQ off, to give some context we had reached the shove/fold stage where everyone was either folding or pushing preflop, and recent shoving hands had included AJ, K5s, A9, so I thought AQo was a decent hand with those ranges, button called me and turns over AKo, so I'm dominated and it just runs out with neither of us hitting and I go home.

I didn't think it was a bad shove given the circumstances and my table reads of how it was playing, just ran into a slightly better hand preflop. The same player had shoved the hand before with AJ and won. Only other thing I could have done is raised pre, but then I'm in trouble anyway if he 3 bets me because his stack was a lot bigger, and because he's that sort of player, I thought getting it in preflop lets me realise all my equity and gives me the best chance of hitting that or drawing to the nuts straight.

BB was 5/10k with a small ante, I had 130k left so 13 BBs, had been card dead for a while and folded around to me just before the Button, I shoved with AQ off, to give some context we had reached the shove/fold stage where everyone was either folding or pushing preflop, and recent shoving hands had included AJ, K5s, A9, so I thought AQo was a decent hand with those ranges, button called me and turns over AKo, so I'm dominated and it just runs out with neither of us hitting and I go home.

I didn't think it was a bad shove given the circumstances and my table reads of how it was playing, just ran into a slightly better hand preflop. The same player had shoved the hand before with AJ and won. Only other thing I could have done is raised pre, but then I'm in trouble anyway if he 3 bets me because his stack was a lot bigger, and because he's that sort of player, I thought getting it in preflop lets me realise all my equity and gives me the best chance of hitting that or drawing to the nuts straight.
I hate shoving preflop. HATE IT.

I seem to get burned every time.

Nothing wrong with that. Your thought process was fine

(edited : Doesnt work the way I said it originally.)

Having thought about this the last 3 days I realised I gave the bloke too much time for him to assess my hand

Final Table - 1st or 2nd hand Blinds are 10/20k I have approx 145k

1st UTG raises to 45k - he has a similar stack to mine

I have AJo . I hesitated for a minute or 2. Deciding whether to fold and let the carnage happen elsewhere for money or go hard and be big stack and sit comfortably. Short stack doesnt concern me as its 1/3rd of my stack if I lose.

I decide to call all in - short stack also calls. BB also hesitates for a minute or two and finally shoves saying '' I hope you have better than pocket 9s''

I turn my AJo , short stack turns over AKo and BB turns over A10spades. Ok my thinking on short stack is correct and I have BB covered

Flop is 3 spades.

Thinking over it my hesitation allowed him to assess my hand as either medium pockets or a crapshoot. His thinking was he had pockets covered and he called. He ended up winning the night

Last edited:

AQ stinks friend :p

Interesting, I play and would argue the opposite is correct in pub poker with the short blind structure. At the beginning the blinds are low and you can afford to play tight against loser ranges who want to see a "cheap flop". As it progresses, you will simply be blinded out if you wait for premium hands that connect with the flop, and when everyone wants to tighten up to make final table that's when you should be loosening your range and attacking blinds, etc.

It sounds like you're not making too many final tables so maybe try the opposite strategy one night? That being said, the reality is you're going to need to win flips and get some lucky rivers to win pub poker tournaments, that's just the reality of the structure. Especially when it gets to shove luck poker when people are push or folding preflop with short stacks, often with any two cards.
Only played PP 3 times this year, only got back into playing the odd cash game in 2016 after about 4-5 years away from the game

Made a final table (4th) once, 15th and 9th last week (was the last one out on the bubble before the final table), varied between 25-35 players the 3 times I played

Won't play this week, or week after, probably play again in 2-4 weeks.

Having thought about this the last 3 days I realised I gave the bloke too much time for him to assess my hand

Final Table - 1st or 2nd hand I am Button Blinds are 10/20k I have approx 145k

1st UTG just calls - short stacked about 60k

Folds to BB who raises to 45k - he has a similar stack to me

I have AJo . I hesitated for a minute or 2. Deciding whether to fold and let the carnage happen elsewhere for money or go hard and be big stack and sit comfortably. Short stack doesnt concern me as its 1/3rd of my stack if I lose.

I decide to call all in - short stack also calls. BB also hesitates for a minute or two and finally shoves saying '' I hope you have better than pocket 9s''
I can't work out the order of play here. Did you call the 20K on the button before BB made it 45k? Did BB raise out of turn? How did you call all in, then short stack calls all in, then BB shoves?? None of it makes sense.

I can't work out the order of play here. Did you call the 20K on the button before BB made it 45k? Did BB raise out of turn? How did you call all in, then short stack calls all in, then BB shoves?? None of it makes sense.
Yeah you are probably right. Let me think and edit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hate when they give someone too much respect/credit for a raise, fold, only for them to turn over junk? I'm not talking about well thought out bluffs, I'm talking about junk hands they thought were good.

I had 2 pair on the flop, bet, he calls (2 clubs there though). Turn comes, I bet, he calls, but the turn has made 3 clubs out there. River comes the A of clubs, so there are 4 clubs out there, I bet, and he puts in a big raise, I'm cooked here, my K-something two pair neither of them are clubs, and the only logical thing he could be calling with is either top pair K which I beat, but has now made AK cause he had the A kicker, or a flush draw, his big raise on the river suggested he's got a decent club, it was a horrible river for me, one of the two.

I fold, and he turns over A4, no clubs.... He looks at me and says "You would have lost I aced the river,"
Like wtf? He's calling all that with A high, then thinks he's got a monster on a 4 card flush draw with no clubs and one pair with a terrible kicker? Sometimes the opposition play is so nonsensical that you give too much credit that they couldn't be that junky to call big value bets with only A high on such a scary board...

Well, that was some experience today

All day tournaments over pub tournaments for sure
No doubt. Best tournament I've ever played was a deep stack 30 minute levels tournament. You can actually use the full poker skill set and ability is a factor much more than luck because of fast moving blinds forcing all ins.

Short blind levels are the great poker equalisers. Even pros would be reduced to victims of chance if they were playing a short stack 5 minute blind turbo game.

Where did you play?

No doubt. Best tournament I've ever played was a deep stack 30 minute levels tournament. You can actually use the full poker skill set and ability is a factor much more than luck because of fast moving blinds forcing all ins.

Short blind levels are the great poker equalisers. Even pros would be reduced to victims of chance if they were playing a short stack 5 minute blind turbo game.

Where did you play?
Played August State champs at Tabcorp

Finished well inside the top 100, had over 500 entrants

Was a day of momentum swings that's for sure, but with 20 minute levels, was able to use my skillset way better than what I would at the pub

Had a great run between afternoon tea and dinner break, ran short stacked from 12pm til after the tea break, shoved in the right spots to keep afloat

After afternoon tea got whittled down to 26k, picked up queens, opening raise was 15k, that 15k was shoved upon before me by a larger stack, I called that shove with my smaller stack shove, the initial raiser folded, so I was up against AK. My Queens held.

So I had a little bit of play at about 70k after that, a few hands later I busted the same 15k raise guy with an A5 flush against a K10 flush, massive cooler he copped come the turn when a 3rd club came, so was up to about 150k and flying after that.

Was able to pick my spots and get a few value bets in here and there with pairs and I busted a short stack with pocket jacks (filled up there at the end of that hand) before I limped in from the small blind with T7 OS, flop came T76, I check, 15k bet comes from the BB, button and I both call, probably well over 60k in the pot at the time. Another ten came on the turn, I check trying to trap, but didn't get any bites, threw a value bet in on the river but they both folded, but that hand got me well over 200k at least, had at least that amount for a good 2 hours or so until just before I busted out. Couldn't crack 500k and push on, seemed to hover between high 200s to mid 400s.

Anyways, was fun, happy with the way I played, got lucky in some spots, but you gotta make your own luck sometimes. Felt the slower levels suited me much better.

Played August State champs at Tabcorp

Finished well inside the top 100, had over 500 entrants

Was a day of momentum swings that's for sure, but with 20 minute levels, was able to use my skillset way better than what I would at the pub

Had a great run between afternoon tea and dinner break, ran short stacked from 12pm til after the tea break, shoved in the right spots to keep afloat

After afternoon tea got whittled down to 26k, picked up queens, opening raise was 15k, that 15k was shoved upon before me by a larger stack, I called that shove with my smaller stack shove, the initial raiser folded, so I was up against AK. My Queens held.

So I had a little bit of play at about 70k after that, a few hands later I busted the same 15k raise guy with an A5 flush against a K10 flush, massive cooler he copped come the turn when a 3rd club came, so was up to about 150k and flying after that.

Was able to pick my spots and get a few value bets in here and there with pairs and I busted a short stack with pocket jacks (filled up there at the end of that hand) before I limped in from the small blind with T7 OS, flop came T76, I check, 15k bet comes from the BB, button and I both call, probably well over 60k in the pot at the time. Another ten came on the turn, I check trying to trap, but didn't get any bites, threw a value bet in on the river but they both folded, but that hand got me well over 200k at least, had at least that amount for a good 2 hours or so until just before I busted out. Couldn't crack 500k and push on, seemed to hover between high 200s to mid 400s.

Anyways, was fun, happy with the way I played, got lucky in some spots, but you gotta make your own luck sometimes. Felt the slower levels suited me much better.
It's a lot more fun and the sign of a better player. The shorter the blind levels the more luck plays a part.

It's a lot more fun and the sign of a better player. The shorter the blind levels the more luck plays a part.
Id hope so, but I did need some luck too, but felt I made the right plays too, was just annoying I got short stacked after the first hour and had to play short for half the afternoon and pick my spots correctly

I shoved probably 5 times over nearly 3 hours of play before I got a healthy stack going, picked up blinds and limps once, doubled up twice, then the last two double ups that got me healthy there was a bit of action before I shoved which put it to about a triple my stack all up, once preflop with the queens vs AK (got a 15k donation on top of the blinds) and another time after preflop and betting on the flop as I shoved on the turn with the nut flush and got called by a K10 flush.

Throughout the day because I would've played a couple hundred hands, I picked up every single pocket pair except 4s, won every pocket pair from pocket aces all the way through to pocket tens, played it correctly be it via shoves or overbets preflop or on the flop to a paired board. Folded 9s against a shove once (had his stack covered but would've been a massive dent on my stack though, put him on overcards like AQ/AK but couldn't risk him catching). Pocket 3s came good once on an all in when I was badly short stacked after lunch, rivered a set there, A3 was magnificent all day though, hit two pair twice and a set of 3s with it, the set I had I tried putting an old bloke with a short stack all in on the turn when the second 3 came out, there was a king already on the board, so he put me on a king as I bet the flop, he folded and showed 8s, I told him good fold.

Best winning hand I got was jacks full to bust out a short stack, made alot of flushes though, clubs and spades were good most of the day, hearts 50-50, diamonds were the only dud suit. Plenty of good queens, tens and threes all day for me, be it any combination in my starting hand or hitting community cards.

AQ stinks massively still, but I won two hands with it at least, once with just ace high getting through to showdown after draws didn't come out. Cracked it multiple times throughout the day though, it just does not run well at all, don't know why but just doesn't.

Id hope so, but I did need some luck too, but felt I made the right plays too, was just annoying I got short stacked after the first hour and had to play short for half the afternoon and pick my spots correctly

I shoved probably 5 times over nearly 3 hours of play before I got a healthy stack going, picked up blinds and limps once, doubled up twice, then the last two double ups that got me healthy there was a bit of action before I shoved which put it to about a triple my stack all up, once preflop with the queens vs AK (got a 15k donation on top of the blinds) and another time after preflop and betting on the flop as I shoved on the turn with the nut flush and got called by a K10 flush.

Throughout the day because I would've played a couple hundred hands, I picked up every single pocket pair except 4s, won every pocket pair from pocket aces all the way through to pocket tens, played it correctly be it via shoves or overbets preflop or on the flop to a paired board. Folded 9s against a shove once (had his stack covered but would've been a massive dent on my stack though, put him on overcards like AQ/AK but couldn't risk him catching). Pocket 3s came good once on an all in when I was badly short stacked after lunch, rivered a set there, A3 was magnificent all day though, hit two pair twice and a set of 3s with it, the set I had I tried putting an old bloke with a short stack all in on the turn when the second 3 came out, there was a king already on the board, so he put me on a king as I bet the flop, he folded and showed 8s, I told him good fold.

Best winning hand I got was jacks full to bust out a short stack, made alot of flushes though, clubs and spades were good most of the day, hearts 50-50, diamonds were the only dud suit. Plenty of good queens, tens and threes all day for me, be it any combination in my starting hand or hitting community cards.

AQ stinks massively still, but I won two hands with it at least, once with just ace high getting through to showdown after draws didn't come out. Cracked it multiple times throughout the day though, it just does not run well at all, don't know why but just doesn't.
Luck will always be involved to a degree. Even in the world series, at some point you need to win coin flips to progress. Often the overall winner or winning order can finally be decided by who wins the 3 way 40/30/30% or the pockets vs overcards coin flips.

It's just a matter of how much plays a factor in any given game. The last 2 times I've played I've come 4th and 5th, from fields of about 45 players. Looks decent on paper, but I've played badly and just got lucky with a few flips both times. I've played much better poker before for worse results but got done by bad luck losing hands as 80% favourites and get rivered, etc. But those are the hands that eventually decide who wins.

You can't win a big tournament without getting some luck. And the best you play can be undone with a bit of bad luck.

It's why many say play the decisions and not the results, the results are irrelevant if your decisions are correct which seems to mess with the general psyche of competitive games we all have. That's why I'd say don't completely discount AQ! On paper its a better hand than youll get most of the time.

What a s**t game haha.

Luck will always be involved to a degree. Even in the world series, at some point you need to win coin flips to progress. Often the overall winner or winning order can finally be decided by who wins the 3 way 40/30/30% or the pockets vs overcards coin flips.

It's just a matter of how much plays a factor in any given game. The last 2 times I've played I've come 4th and 5th, from fields of about 45 players. Looks decent on paper, but I've played badly and just got lucky with a few flips both times. I've played much better poker before for worse results but got done by bad luck losing hands as 80% favourites and get rivered, etc. But those are the hands that eventually decide who wins.

You can't win a big tournament without getting some luck. And the best you play can be undone with a bit of bad luck.

It's why many say play the decisions and not the results, the results are irrelevant if your decisions are correct which seems to mess with the general psyche of competitive games we all have. That's why I'd say don't completely discount AQ! On paper its a better hand than youll get most of the time.

What a s**t game haha.
I limped with AQ when I got it

No way was I getting burnt by it this time :p

Talk about luck though

Probably two pivotal hands that sealed my fate in the end, but were absolutely pivotal hands for my opponents and it was the same hand that did me in.

When I was sitting ok well over 450k and 15-30k blinds in the SB, the girl sitting next to me on my left was short stacked in the big blind, she was shaping up to shove seeing 45k of her remaining 84k were knocked off by 30k blind plus the ante, so it was only going to cost me 54k to eliminate her and everyone folded too, would've folded my SB if someone did me a favour and took her on instead.

So yeah, I chucked the 54k in with J4 suited, she had Q9 offsuit

8T8 came out, then a 5 then a J on the river to make her a straight, I was dead to a 4 the way it played out.

She then proceeds to go on an absolute heater and probably made the final table considering her chip stack, boy I gave her a leg up. She shoved 440k with KJ up against another 310k shove of jacks and a call of 9s and she rivered a king after the board ran clean for jacks until the river. She eliminated the guy who had the 9s a few hands later as that hand screwed his stack so she probably went from 84k to 1.2-1.3m in the space of about 45 minutes either side of the dinner break.

So yeah, after J4 I fluctuated between 290-450k but I was trending downwards. Shoved one hand with AK preflop but had no callers, just picked up blinds.

Then came my bad beatish of the day

Got AK again

Me and the guy on my right are in mid-late position, think the cutoff and hijack, he shoves his last 100k, 30-60k blinds, 30k BB ante

I go over the top with my last 275k, got AK of clubs

Blinds fold

He has Q9 off suit, two red cards

Flop comes QJ4 1 club

An 8 of clubs on the turn

I've got so many outs now, any ace, king, ten or club wins me the hand, that's what upto 20 outs nearly?

An 8 of diamonds hits the river...

Probably the only time clubs let me down all day

Would've chipped up to 495k had it won, alas went down to 175k and he chips up to 320k and probably waits it out until he gets premium shoving cards.

A couple of hands later sitting UTG with the prospect of being blinded out, I shoved my last 175k with A8, got called by AJ, didn't catch an 8/draw and only had chop possibilities as kings paired the board with an ace come the turn, needed another ace, king or queen for a chop on the river, didn't come so got outkicked in the end.

But yeah, Q9 eh :p that girl surely had to have made the final table though.

Lucky break:

Cracked AA with J10s last night. Hit a straight on the river 8 to Q.

Only a 21.7% chance preflop against AA. Bad beats come but we certainly give a few too.

Irony is I only shoved preflop because I was tilted and felt sick so just wanted to go home.
Man I had that hand a few times on Sunday with mixed results at the last table I was on before I was eliminated

Limped in twice with it and was BB once

First time flop came out KQ8, I'm thinking beautiful, open ender, pay up to see the turn, out comes another 8 and the shoves come, had to throw it away

Second time I had it was BB, just the UTG limped in

Flop comes J33, I shove like 250k or something, she thinks about it then folds, think it was a few hands after I tried knocking her out with J4 vs her Q9 blind on blind, she said she just had overcards, so I put her on KQ

Last time I had it I limped in, only me vs the BB, ended up being the lady who eliminated me like 15-20 minutes later and my downhill spiral was in full flow come this hand

We both hit absolutely nothing and check it right down to showdown, but she hit a 3 on the river with J3, a real BB special, lol :p would've likely outkicked her with my 10 had that 3 not come

Pub Game Final 16 Blinds 2/4K action involves 3 players

1. Myself , smooth suave and Bondlike - about 60k stack
2. Chaser - middle age female that chases Aces - about 60k stack
3. RAG- (random Asian Guy) - 11k stack

RAG loses a big part of his stack just on a break. His gf is out and she is waiting

1st hand after the break I am BB , Chaser is UTG 3 , RAG is UTG5

I get 8/10 off - ehh not great

Chaser calls the blind , RAG shoves his last 11k ( I expected this so not surprised) I decide to put another 7k in to look at the flop and Chaser calls. I put Chaser on an A .

Flop is 484 (one club) because I have 2 pair , its a low flop and Chaser has only called I go all in - Sure Chaser could have A4 or A8 but I think I am ahead

Chaser calls and we all turn our cards over ; RAG 10/K off (I have him covered) Chaser shows AK clubs - hmm but I am still ahead. Turn is a Club , River is a Club

I was happy with my initial thinking and if Chaser folds I win, If club doesnt turn on river or turn I win.

Now I could have checked and knowing Chaser she may have checked the flop also. But that would have made me shoving on the turn a certainty anyway. I felt aggression was the better play.

I got caught out but I am happy with the thinking and position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back