Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Played it fine IMO.
Your top pair is vulnerable to the overs that they probably have and if they're willing to call a shove then go or it.

Side note, there is a school of pub poker players who will never raise AK because they hate it, but will happily call a shove because deep down they know it's a big hand. I've shoved weaker aces over people limping AK and obviously getting called. It's really tilting, and no they're not intentionally trapping with it.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Pub Game Final 16 Blinds 2/4K action involves 3 players

1. Myself , smooth suave and Bondlike - about 60k stack
2. Chaser - middle age female that chases Aces - about 60k stack
3. RAG- (random Asian Guy) - 11k stack

RAG loses a big part of his stack just on a break. His gf is out and she is waiting

1st hand after the break I am BB , Chaser is UTG 3 , RAG is UTG5

I get 8/10 off - ehh not great

Chaser calls the blind , RAG shoves his last 11k ( I expected this so not surprised) I decide to put another 7k in to look at the flop and Chaser calls. I put Chaser on an A .

Flop is 484 (one club) because I have 2 pair , its a low flop and Chaser has only called I go all in - Sure Chaser could have A4 or A8 but I think I am ahead

Chaser calls and we all turn our cards over ; RAG 10/K off (I have him covered) Chaser shows AK clubs - hmm but I am still ahead. Turn is a Club , River is a Club

I was happy with my initial thinking and if Chaser folds I win, If club doesnt turn on river or turn I win.

Now I could have checked and knowing Chaser she may have checked the flop also. But that would have made me shoving on the turn a certainty anyway. I felt aggression was the better play.

I got caught out but I am happy with the thinking and position
There probably aren't a heap of 4s in people's ranges at that stage, and it's hard to hit a flop so by connecting with the board you're usually pretty strong there. You also block another 8 with yours, making it less likely as well. I think you played it fine, but I think the AK often calls there too, backdoor flush draw and 2 overs, plus the chance that the A high is already good at that point too.

Regardless, I'm shoving it I connect on that board in that situation.

I did something similar and lost, it was late and everyone was short stacked, I hit a 3 on a 9 9 3 board, was called by KJ and he hit a K on the river. My theory is same as yours, they've missed the flop most likely and I'm ahead at this point so get it in as it's late in the tourney and blinds will bleed me out soon.

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Played it fine IMO.
Your top pair is vulnerable to the overs that they probably have and if they're willing to call a shove then go or it.

Side note, there is a school of pub poker players who will never raise AK because they hate it, but will happily call a shove because deep down they know it's a big hand. I've shoved weaker aces over people limping AK and obviously getting called. It's really tilting, and no they're not intentionally trapping with it.

Agree. Some old school pub poker players would prefer to play smaller pots rather than risk it all.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I got rivered twice on the money bubble playing online last night, both times had top pair, both times my opponent only had one of a suit, but caught the 4 card flush.
I got lucky a few times last night and chipped up on the river so I understand when the following happens

Blinds 400/800 I am BB

Turn over to see AA
Players limp/fold until guy in the cut off raises to 2200 . New player to the table and I dont recall seeing him at the venue ie I have no read other than chip value

SB - calls 2200 - very loose , very aggressive prone to bluffs or playing hunches

I raise to 5k -Cut off calls , SB calls

Flop is Qs, Jc , 7c - SB bets 5k

Because I have played with SB at various times I know his range is wide and could be anything but I at least credit him with a Q given his bet size , or he could be testing me as he also knows my limitations.

I shove all in for around 27k

Cut off folds and SB hums and hahs for a bit - he knows my game and at that stage I usually shove when I have something or am attempting to dominate with something.

He calls

I turn over my AA and he turns over AQ clubs so he has the Q plus the flush draw.

Turn is 2 spades

River is 2 clubs he gets the flush and I am heading to the car park

Shrug - happy with the call as the pot would have helped a lot. Understand his call also , not a bad beat nor a vent - just poker gods getting me back for my river luck

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Had my first pub poker win in about a year last night, against a field of 53. Such a rollercoaster night.

Early on I had AA cracked by J9o, bet the whole way and they rivered trips. Down to 11k out of 30k starting stack by first break. Got a bit back so I had 20k by second break but coming back to 2/4k blinds by that stage.

I get a couple of double ups, then have AA cracked again by rivered trips (A7, board 986 7 7). It was blind v blind and I slowplayed preflop so have to shoulder some blame there.

On the FT I'm down to 75k and in last place on the money bubble, blinds 30/60k. UTG shoves 140k, one fold, im next with K9s and figure i won't see a better hand before blinds hit me so I call. He has 77 and I flop a K.

Post bubble I went on a heater where I always seemed to have their hand dominated.
A9 v K9 (actually lost that one)
A3 v J3
A8 v A2
T7 v T2 (final hand)

Been a long time between drinks!

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Pub Game Final 16 Blinds 2/4K action involves 3 players

1. Myself , smooth suave and Bondlike - about 60k stack
2. Chaser - middle age female that chases Aces - about 60k stack
3. RAG- (random Asian Guy) - 11k stack

RAG loses a big part of his stack just on a break. His gf is out and she is waiting

1st hand after the break I am BB , Chaser is UTG 3 , RAG is UTG5

I get 8/10 off - ehh not great

Chaser calls the blind , RAG shoves his last 11k ( I expected this so not surprised) I decide to put another 7k in to look at the flop and Chaser calls. I put Chaser on an A .

Flop is 484 (one club) because I have 2 pair , its a low flop and Chaser has only called I go all in - Sure Chaser could have A4 or A8 but I think I am ahead

Chaser calls and we all turn our cards over ; RAG 10/K off (I have him covered) Chaser shows AK clubs - hmm but I am still ahead. Turn is a Club , River is a Club

I was happy with my initial thinking and if Chaser folds I win, If club doesnt turn on river or turn I win.

Now I could have checked and knowing Chaser she may have checked the flop also. But that would have made me shoving on the turn a certainty anyway. I felt aggression was the better play.

I got caught out but I am happy with the thinking and position
Unlucky mate, runner runner clubs = bad beat for mine

If they hit a 5 outer ace or king then not really (2 kings in play here wasn't there?)

Happens all the time for me online on muck around apps, I shove with the best hand against aggressive stupid players as I know I'm ahead, then always get ran down by a runner runner or they catch a miracle 1/2 outer or whatever.
Played it fine IMO.

This is me with AQ :p as I've ranted on about for a while in this fred ;)
Agree. Some old school pub poker players would prefer to play smaller pots rather than risk it all.
Depends on the situation imo

I am a fan of small pot poker until I hit something decent though normally, but I do like taking aggressive players on as I love a trap.

Last time I played about a month or so ago, some super aggressive guy who many people at the venue I play at dislike sat on my left, so typically when we were in late position we'd both catch strong hands, or he'd straddle UTG when I'm in the BB.

Was heads up against him three times, first time around I pick up pocket 4s in the SB first hand of the night, I limp in for the $200, he raises his BB to $1k, everyone folds, I call just to see a flop.

Flop comes 663, I check, he bets 1k, I call hoping to catch something like a 2, 5 or 7 for a straight opportunity or a 4 for a boat

Turn comes a 5, great card, gives me an open ender, I check again, he bets 2k, right then I put him on overcards like AK/AQ etc and that he's double barreling here. If he had an overpair he'd have bet bigger on the flop imo, like 5k or something to get rid of me with that paired board.

River comes a 10, still only got 4s, I check, he gives up and shows AQ, so I've got him there

2nd time around I'm BB, 300/600bbs, he's already straddled 1.5k UTG, I pick up tens, everyone folds his straddle, I raise to 5k, he shoves, I shove, he shows AK, I'm ahead for now

He catches straight away, flopping two pair, jack comes on the turn, I need a queen or ten on the river not to bust here, it doesn't come, so I'm using my chip up card well before the first break of the night

About 10-15 minutes later 400/800bbs, I'm in the SB again, I pick up aces, everyones limped in, so I raise to 5k again, I know aggressive guy will call or shove on me here, he shoves, everyone folds, I call putting me at risk (we've both used our chip up cards here too)

The board runs clean for me and he only has like 2.5k left or something after that one and busts out the next hand.

I make the final table that night but had no luck for the 10 hands or so I saw there and shoved before I would've been blinded down.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I've been on a bad run the last time I played.

In the same tournament, very early hand like first orbit level 1 someone raises, I look down at pockets AA, I 3bet to 3 times the original raise, player on my left shoves all in, original raiser folds and heads up I make the snap call, he turns over AK off, have checked the equity and I'm a 93.1% favourite here, he wins with a 4 card flush with the K of clubs. I buy back in and later on I shove with pockets 55, the same player calls me with AQ and hits the Q. I'm only a small fav there about 54% but I still catch the unlucky beat.

Later in the tournament, a mid stack and a short stack shove into my BB, I snap call with pockets 99, they both turn over AJoff, Im at 63% here compared to about their 18% each, they both hit the J on the turn and chop the pot and I lose a decent amount of my stack.

I get to the final table, top 3, the big stack raises into my SB, I look down at AKoff, I raise all in and it's a reasonable size, the BB folds and original raiser calls with A8off. He hits the 8 on the flop and I'm knocked out as the 74% favourite.

Pretty bummed to get done by those but I'm happy that I seem to be getting it in good each time as the fav. Just need even luck and I'd have crushed that game. I played really well having to recover a few times so I'm fairly happy with my play.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

In the same tournament, very early hand like first orbit level 1 someone raises, I look down at pockets AA, I 3bet to 3 times the original raise, player on my left shoves all in, original raiser folds and heads up I make the snap call, he turns over AK off, have checked the equity and I'm a 93.1% favourite here, he wins with a 4 card flush with the K of clubs. I buy back in and later on I shove with pockets 55, the same player calls me with AQ and hits the Q. I'm only a small fav there about 54% but I still catch the unlucky beat.

Later in the tournament, a mid stack and a short stack shove into my BB, I snap call with pockets 99, they both turn over AJoff, Im at 63% here compared to about their 18% each, they both hit the J on the turn and chop the pot and I lose a decent amount of my stack.

I get to the final table, top 3, the big stack raises into my SB, I look down at AKoff, I raise all in and it's a reasonable size, the BB folds and original raiser calls with A8off. He hits the 8 on the flop and I'm knocked out as the 74% favourite.

Pretty bummed to get done by those but I'm happy that I seem to be getting it in good each time as the fav. Just need even luck and I'd have crushed that game. I played really well having to recover a few times so I'm fairly happy with my play.
You win all of them on another night, you split them on a further night.

Poker

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

That really stinks that run

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Situation last night at pub poker.
The BB has lost a massive pot QQ < KK the previous hand and has only 550 chips left. Blinds are 200/400 and this is the last hand before a 15 minute break.

Folds to me on the button with A6o. I raise to 1200 figuring SB will fold 99% to beat the bar queue, and I'll probably knock out BB. SB obligingly folds and BB....folds o_O

Getting 7.5 to 1 on a call heads up vs sitting around for 15 minutes to come back in the SB with 1/4 of a BB in his stack. That is the worst fold I've ever seen.

He lost 1/3 of his stack in the chip race during the break (lol) and predictably busted the first hand after.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The BB has lost a massive pot QQ < KK the previous hand and has only 550 chips left. Blinds are 200/400 and this is the last hand before a 15 minute break.

Folds to me on the button with A6o. I raise to 1200 figuring SB will fold 99% to beat the bar queue, and I'll probably knock out BB. SB obligingly folds and BB....folds o_O

Getting 7.5 to 1 on a call heads up vs sitting around for 15 minutes to come back in the SB with 1/4 of a BB in his stack. That is the worst fold I've ever seen.

He lost 1/3 of his stack in the chip race during the break (lol) and predictably busted the first hand after.
Did he reveal what he folded?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Lol think I might've said so previously, but I went on negative tilt a few months ago and did similar

Got blinded and anted down as I kept picking up garbage for 15-20 hands straight

My last BB was at 10/20k, twas on the bubble before the final table, had 11k, 2 for the ante, 9 into the BB (dunno if that's the right way to play blinds/antes anyway when short, thought it was blinds first then antes)

Anyways, got J4 OS, hit a jack on the flop, king and a ten were out there too. Another short stack shoved, bigger stack called, short stack also has a weak jack and he's all but drawing dead to the case jack as his outs were eaten up by a Broadway draw for the big stack with KQ. So we both get KOd, lel

Came 9th, only 7 at the final table :$

But yeah, such a garbage run of hands, 74, 84, 94, 93, J3, 104, just crap, no suited connectors or even anything semi connected like 86, 75, 108, 107 etc

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Similar to me

Last 11 players

Last 14k in chips with 3/6 blind level. I am BB and I figure I will be bubble boy

Cut off calls 6 SB calls

No look all in as I didn't want to be picked off on the SB

Cut off folds SB calls and turns over 79

I finally look to see JA, flop JJ8 :D

Straight draw left for SB but the 2nd 8 hits for a full house

Shrug : poker

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
32o I think. Not that it matters, should be calling off blind in that spot.
I reckon there's two schools of thought there, yes the odds justify a call but they do in many situations, it doesn't mean you need to or should be making all of those. He might have preferred to grind, sit out the break, and then see another orbit and get his money in when he reckons he's not going in crushed. Valuing your tournament life is a very underrated thing now, but its the easiest way to move up the placings.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read he would come back with a quarter of a BB. In that situation he has to call blind. But in others, like even if he only had a couple of BBs left, grind it out and look for a better spot.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I reckon there's two schools of thought there, yes the odds justify a call but they do in many situations, it doesn't mean you need to or should be making all of those. He might have preferred to grind, sit out the break, and then see another orbit and get his money in when he reckons he's not going in crushed. Valuing your tournament life is a very underrated thing now, but its the easiest way to move up the placings.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read he would come back with a quarter of a BB. In that situation he has to call blind. But in others, like even if he only had a couple of BBs left, grind it out and look for a better spot.
I took the position that I could be picked off by BB with my last chips ie my 8k is covered by his BB and he only needs to add in 2k more to play , even if he has nothing.

In the situation above , me being BB , I control that. I may even steal a few pots . The cut off folded and SB with his cards would have folded most times than not. It was only value and his own pot need that made him play

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Agreed, if you've got less than a big blind left you're getting it in with any two cards in that position, especially right before a break.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I remember losing quad 2's vs quad Aces on Full Tilt back in the day. Probably the worst bad beat I've had.
Yeh thats brutal.
I often am susceptible to losing often to sets when I have top pair top kicker or a strong two-pair.

They are just so well concealed especially if it's just a random low/mid card on the board. I never ever make the right read to pick it up.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Had another APL game tonight

Second hand in pick up pocket 5s, I raise to $500

Get 3bet to 2k, I think ok, I'll see a flop

Flop came A65, I bet 10k thinking sweet I'm way ahead, put him on AK/AQ

He shoves on me, I snap call

Has aces...

Haven't been coolered like that in ages, set over set.

Didn't win a hand until the last hand before first break, our structure is 20k start, 40k chip up, got down to 30k before I won that hand with trip tens

Made some great folds and avoided another cooler situation, had pocket 7s, limped in 2k, another guy raised up to 8k, so I folded to that raise, flop came 789, preflop raiser called a short stacks jam of overcards, raiser had pocket 8s and would've had me covered chipwise if I played it.

But ultimately didn't get enough playable hands, jammed twice with queens and AQ, hit a queen on the flop both times, won both, but the last time I jammed 44k (5/10bb) right before final table with A8 os, called by the BB with Q10, he turned a 10 and game over for me.

Really need to play some more longer format stuff, but nothing really wrong with how I played tonight, just didn't get many cards fall my way (sets and two pairs were the best hands I had all night)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
But ultimately didn't get enough playable hands, jammed twice with queens and AQ, hit a queen on the flop both times, won both, but the last time I jammed 44k (5/10bb) right before final table with A8 os, called by the BB with Q10, he turned a 10 and game over for me.

Really need to play some more longer format stuff, but nothing really wrong with how I played tonight, just didn't get many cards fall my way (sets and two pairs were the best hands I had all night)
Yep there's a reason that pro events have long blind levels, shorter blind levels are the great skill equaliser because luck is a greater factor. The quicker everyone is forced to start shoving preflop because they are down to 8 BB, the more that cars variance plays a factor.

When the blind levels are 12 minutes and with non professional dealers you probably play only 6-8 hands per level, there's not a lot you can do if the cards don't go your way, you have to play some hands eventually.

At something like the Aussie Millions, the blind levels are 90 minutes. You can play fundamental poker of decent hands in position and you have the full toolkit available for you. In pub poker, if you didn't get the cards in the first hour, you are already effectively fairly short stacked and a greater victim to the luck of the cards.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yep there's a reason that pro events have long blind levels, shorter blind levels are the great skill equaliser because luck is a greater factor. The quicker everyone is forced to start shoving preflop because they are down to 8 BB, the more that cars variance plays a factor.

When the blind levels are 12 minutes and with non professional dealers you probably play only 6-8 hands per level, there's not a lot you can do if the cards don't go your way, you have to play some hands eventually.

At something like the Aussie Millions, the blind levels are 90 minutes. You can play fundamental poker of decent hands in position and you have the full toolkit available for you. In pub poker, if you didn't get the cards in the first hour, you are already effectively fairly short stacked and a greater victim to the luck of the cards.
Yep

Funny thing was, hands I might've limped in earlier with when the blinds were low, but were getting later on and would've actually been connecting with flops, but the price to pay to see a flop for hands like low-medium suited connectors, one gapers, suited Jacks/Queens/Kings etc was 6-8-10k and I have only anywhere between 30-70k at any one time, no thanks. Both times I was the dealer and had a suited jack and a suited queen, the jacks hit a set and the queen would've had two pair and they both would've been winners and I did contemplate playing both of them, particularly the suited queen (Q8) but threw it away. If I play them, I win and I'm safe at over 100k probably as a few were limping in both hands.

Earlier on after that set over set disaster, a few times I saw flops where I had open enders or flush draws, they weren't getting there either, but I only chased twice, kept being the theme of the night actually, but I got away from those hands later on early enough and it was the right call every time as the outs for them just weren't coming.

Anyways, I'll try again in 2-3 weeks, hopefully there's a decent longer format tournament going on somewhere over the Xmas break that won't cost a heap to enter ($50 games or so), hopefully where there's around 50-100 players and a slower blind structure.

Back