Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Have you given cash games a go either live or online? There is no turbo blind pressure so you can be a lot more patient and aren't forced to shove/call preflop with A high because you have 8BB left.
Haven't played at Crown in years, but I normally made a profit whenever I did, can only recall losing once when I was like 19 (was pretty drunk and had impatient mates who lost it on pokies/roulette earlier and wanted to go home)

But yeah, I did like the permanent $1/2 or $2/4 structure there, just played tight and waited for strong hands outside of the blinds, or weighed up the price to call when in the blinds if I wasn't allowed a free flop. Providing you chip up consistently, there won't be pressure to coin flip which is nice too I guess.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Final table Blinds 15/30

6 players left. I have crawled back to 1/10 of chips left IE 105,000

I am on the button and we have a dead small.

J10os

Cut off 1 calls cut off 3 calls and I have decided I will also call as a shove can be challenged by an A. I also know BB is a conservative player so I felt the call would hold for a flop, if not I fold and play the remaining 75,000

Flop is 9,J,4

Cut off 1 is a person I don't know. First time was final table but so far seems a bit hinky - check

Cut off 3 is a speculator and when they hit they bet -check

I decide I have top pair, hit my 3rd connector and if anyone had K, J or A, J they would have shoved pre-flop. JQ was the only concern

All in

BB folds cut off 1 hums and hahs for a minute then calls, cut off 3 folds and we show
J10 v J6

Turn is the 6 of course

I walk home

Should I have shoved pre-flop? I wasn't comfortable with that. If I was prepared to walk away with a different flop says I was always fishing. I hooked then it escaped.

That's poker

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Final table Blinds 15/30

J10os

Cut off 1 calls cut off 3 calls and I have decided I will also call as a shove can be challenged by an A. I also know BB is a conservative player so I felt the call would hold for a flop, if not I fold and play the remaining 75,000

Flop is 9,J,4

Cut off 1 is a person I don't know. First time was final table but so far seems a bit hinky - check

I decide I have top pair, hit my 3rd connector and if anyone had K, J or A, J they would have shoved pre-flop. JQ was the only concern

All in

BB folds cut off 1 hums and hahs for a minute then calls, cut off 3 folds and we show
J10 v J6

Turn is the 6 of course

I walk home

Should I have shoved pre-flop? I wasn't comfortable with that. If I was prepared to walk away with a different flop says I was always fishing. I hooked then it escaped.

That's poker
Your hand isn't amazing as a preflop shove. You are behind a hell of a lot of hands that would call 105k. That being said the criticism though is your stack size doesn't give you the liberty to limp behind, if you miss the flop you have burned off 30k, 30% of your stack to see a flop with a speculative drawing hand is a lot. You are pretty much at shove/fold with <5 BB left. So probably the limp is an error.

Once you did limp, you have hit top pair with only a couple other players, and your kicker is semi reasonable, and everyone has checked to you, correct to shove on this flop.

Don't limp here preflop, fold your way to a higher finish, or shove preflop with hands like Q10+ or pockets 44+
You want to be heads up here with high cards that make big pairs or can win as a high card or ready made hands as pockets, throw away low suited connectors as they go down in value here against 1 or 2 callers.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Final table Blinds 15/30

J10os

Flop is 9,J,4

All in

J10 v J6

Turn is the 6 of course

I walk home

That's poker
Unlucky mate

I had an absolute stinker on Monday and was out within the first half dozen or so just after 9 o'clock, won only 4 hands, had aces cracked by a Q5 (aggressive player that'll see a flop with anything, even after I raised 7x BB in middle position after a few limps hoping to end it there). Got bugger all until I hit a flush on the turn in a family pot just after the first break, put my last 11k in, got 1 call from just top pair so had a nice win there that got me up to about 70k.

2-3 hands later ended up copping an all in from a short stack next to me in the small blind on a turn card that made no sense to me how the hand played out, I had A10os in the BB, but every ace hand I had except from the flush hand I had earlier was missing (AK, AQ, AJ all absolutely reaked that night how it was running), so just checked to see a flop. Was another family pot too at 2/4k and I felt I could draw value here.

Flop comes A93 all spades, SB checks, I bet 10k from 58k behind me to see where I'm at. Everyone calls...

Turn comes king of clubs, SB shoves straight away. This looked suss as, he could've just shoved the flop and it would've looked more credible. Anyway, I do the math and think about it for a minute, put him on a range of hands like some sort of king or K9/K3, he was short and would've shoved an ace on the flop imo. It still didn't add up though as that king didn't complete any draws, two pair was likely the best hand here as anyone who flopped a flush would've raised me on the flop, so I think about it and shove myself as I only had 17k behind me if I just flatted it, only the button with a big stack called and turns over A3 and the small stack only shoved out of desperation with just a 3, real amateur move considering everyone was still in play, he should've done so on the flop to maybe represent slow playing a flush, though I suspect the A3 would've called him anyway, so yeah, first real time I've made a correct hard call to a shove, but got ****** over by it anyway.

Played again on Thursday, the luck finally came.

First 45 minutes I hovered around starting stack, then had absolutely no cards for half hour and had to use my chip up card as I got blinded down/kept missing flops, picked up AJ with 32k just before the first break at 2-4k bbs, new guy sitting next to me raises 15k, it's basically a shove for me here and I feel I might be behind, I throw it away, everyone folds and he flips over AK, so my read was ok here.

After the break I played tight and waited for my blinds as the cards still weren't coming, at 3/6k bbs, pick up 45os in the BB, only me and the new guy in the small here, flop comes 5J5, he bets 6k and I shove my 26k, he snap calls and has a jack. I'm good here and up to 64k and play the waiting game again.

Don't limp here preflop, fold your way to a higher finish, or shove preflop with hands like Q10+ or pockets 44+
You want to be heads up here with high cards that make big pairs or can win as a high card or ready made hands as pockets, throw away low suited connectors as they go down in value here against 1 or 2 callers.
Pretty much I looked to play this way on Thursday if I could

Got moved tables after the 3/6k level, got nothing at 4/8k and I'm sitting at 38k in the BB with J2 suited, UTG+2 raises to 35k, everyone folds, I think about it, then jam on him, he obviously calls the extra 3k and flips over KQos

Flop hit his queen and just 1 spade, another spade on the turn and I suck out my runner runner spades on the river. End of that level, get my 1k chips taken away, up to 85k. Quite a few are getting eliminated now.

Limp once or twice at 5/10k, don't hit flops, got a walk but about it, threw away a set of blinds. Back in my BB at 10/20k, with the BB ante in play now and just 30k behind me, pick up K7, 2 callers, think about jamming but I check to see a flop and if I don't hit I'll jam on the BB next hand. Flop comes K74, I jam, they fold.

Wait for next round of decent cards, get QJos with 80k stack. I limp in from UTG+2/cutoff (only playing 5 handed now with 10 players left), SB limps in, BB jams, I think about it, work out he's got the same amount behind him as me. I jam, SB folds, he has 10s. Board runs clean for him until I suck out a jack on the river, get to the final table with 190k.

Then played the waiting game there with 15/30k BBs. Gave up my first set of blinds (started in the hijack) hoping a few would be eliminated before my next round came which 1 did get eliminated. Pick up 9T suited on the button, limp in with just 4BBs behind me, everyone folded beforehand, SB limps and BB checks, flop comes AT7 all spades, they both check and I jam with my ten, they give it up, back up to 205k. Pick up A7 suited like 2 hands later and jammed, blinds both fold, Get QJ in the BB a few hands later (another got eliminated before), 1 jam beforehand from a short stack, I jam and the 2nd biggest stack calls with AQ, the short stack jam had nothing low cards. I flop an open ender and get there on the river, up well over 400k, 6 players left.

Get QT suited and a jam comes from early position, I call the 125k and get jammed on by the guy I chipped up on before who's in the SB, I call as I'm not at risk, I flop an open ender and get there on the turn but get rivered by a flush by the guy I chipped up on, so basically gave all his chips back plus some more. 5 players.

I wait a bit hoping the other 2 short stacks busts out as top 4 get paid, one of them chipped up above me but the other busted out so I'm ITM.

Get a walk in the next BB I had (20/40k bbs), then get AT diamonds in the SB, I jam and the same guy who's now positioned behind me calls my jam with KQos

Flop comes Q2Q, 2 diamonds, ace on the turn, then another Q on the river, lol outrageous some of these hands I finally started getting/beaten by after getting bugger all for well over an hour aside from hitting a few BBs.

Hung around to see who won, guy who busted me got done by the chip leader shortly after though. Then funnily enough, 1 of the short stacks who chipped up before I busted went on to win. He won 2 pivotal double ups to get the chip lead then finished the job with a pair of 5s that held against AJ.

But yeah, kinda felt I was owed a few suckouts from what I copped over the last few weeks.

Last edited:

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Final table Blinds 15/30

J10os

Flop is 9,J,4

All in

J10 v J6

Turn is the 6 of course

I walk home

That's poker
You should not be limping anything with your stack size. You'll only flop a pair 1/3 of the time, and the rest you're giving away 30% of your stack just to fold on the flop. And that's assuming the BB doesn't shove.

I would shove if it was folded to you, but with 2 limpers already I would fold. You don't really want a call from one of the limpers as they likely have you beat.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm disliking pub tournaments more and more, I regularly make the final table but just can't seem to crack a win. Most recently got to the final table with 275k, but ran absolutely card dry the best two hands I got were A9o and A5o. Once the blinds got to 50/100k I shoved with the A5o and was called by AJs and lost.

Eventually with variance I was hoping the luck would fall my way with a good run and I would get the cash but I've made the FT about 12 times in the last 20 times I've played and my best is a 3rd place cash once. I dont know what I am doing wrong at this point, but I'm not sure what I can do when there is a preflop shove basically every hand and I look down at K2o or J8s. I don't want to consign myself to just gambling with junk.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I'm disliking pub tournaments more and more, I regularly make the final table but just can't seem to crack a win. Most recently got to the final table with 275k, but ran absolutely card dry the best two hands I got were A9o and A5o. Once the blinds got to 50/100k I shoved with the A5o and was called by AJs and lost.

Eventually with variance I was hoping the luck would fall my way with a good run and I would get the cash but I've made the FT about 12 times in the last 20 times I've played and my best is a 3rd place cash once. I dont know what I am doing wrong at this point, but I'm not sure what I can do when there is a preflop shove basically every hand and I look down at K2o or J8s. I don't want to consign myself to just gambling with junk.
On Thursday I got there with 190k at 15/30k bbs and cashed in 4th

I guess I got lucky as I was somewhere between the 6th-8th biggest stack coming into the table and got to 2nd largest stack briefly after a triple up with 6 players left when I rivered an open ender at risk, but sometimes you gotta play late position too and put pressure on the blinds so you can at least pick them up to recover whatever blinds are whittling you down. Sure the blinds might pick up something and jam on you, but there's always a chance they'll fold also, so that's the decision you have to weigh up when going with a hand or not.

As you said to Grey Crow above, that range of QT+ to smallish pockets should be where you're considering a shove/raise depending on how you feel about them/what plays came earlier on.

Personally I wouldn't be as comfortable playing hands like QT, QJ, KT, KJ and small pockets from ducks to 8s from say UTG to around to the hijack, but if you've been card dry then I guess you gotta go with what you've got. From the cutoff onwards if they've been folds previously or you've got a shove covered then yep go hard with them. I folded 4s with about 7-8 players left from early position and other nights I've gone deep I've folded hands like 7s and 8s after jams beforehand (correct calls too) in hope the field was whittled down but also a large chance I'd be no good should I call, but if I was ITM or say on the button onwards with no play beforehand then I'd definitely play them. Hands like any suited ace, AK, AQ, AJ, AT and 9s+ is pretty much just a straight out jam from any position, but we already know that.

At the end of the day, it seems you got card dry and unlucky, I played state champs again on the weekend and was card dry too nearly the whole time and busted out right before lunch with tens cracked by jacks, I won only 1 hand in nearly 2 hours of play which was a short stack jam with 5s from the cutoff. Had trip 9s cracked by a runner runner straight the first hand I played which set the tone for my morning. Copped a table with guys that liked playing big pot poker which sucked when I was card dry and had to keep paying a premium to see a flop if I picked up hands like middling connectors/suited one gappers etc. 4 guys cleaned up, 2 busted out before me and the other guy played tight but seemed like he picked the right spots to play and hit when he did (something I tried to do but didn't work). Tried semi bluffing a couple of times on the flop/turn just to win a pot or two representing flushes/straights, that backfired as it always seemed I'd get the whole table to fold except the one caller who always had top pair or something. Just one of those days, last 2 hands I played I had KQd from the BB 1 raise before me, I flat it, 2 diamonds and a straight draw on the flop, I check, guy barrels 2.5k, I flat it. Turn puts 4 to a straight out there (6-9), no diamonds though and another 2.5k barrel another flat from me, river comes a bust and I just throw it away in disgust, any bluffs I tried before were always called, he showed anyway, pocket 5s for an arse-ender. I'm pretty tilted by here and got around 12k left, fold until my next BB (300-600), pick up my tens right before lunch and there was a 3k raise beforehand, I jam hoping it's AK/AQ I'm up against as there'd been a few outrageous 4-5k raises with AK previously, guy has jacks and the exact same suits as me...and I'm getting out of my chair before the flop even comes.

I worked out this year from just 2 cashes from 12 games I'm only about $50 down from total buy ins/chip ups. If I come say 2nd once over the next few times I play I'll probably be even stevens/slight profit. Our time will come though.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I was the opposite. I had similar stack then 2 good hands that got cracked - JJ to KK and AK to AA

10 FT this season - 1 win - 2 seconds which were chop outs ie shared cash and turn over cards. For the win I got card lucky and made good folds at the right time ( as opposed to the above 2 hands) and made calls which held
At the end of the day, it seems you got card dry and unlucky, I played state champs again on the weekend and was card dry too nearly the whole time and busted out right before lunch with tens cracked by jacks, I won only 1 hand in nearly 2 hours of play which was a short stack jam with 5s from the cutoff.
Card dry eats up your chips so you make hard calls on medium hands

Down to not much - Pocket 9s - first pockets in a long while. Player goes all in. Having watched him he usually goes all in on mixed pairs - I called - he had KQ- so I had that right. 1st card a Q and goodnight. Maybe if I hadnt been dry I may have folded and waited for a better opportunity.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I was the opposite. I had similar stack then 2 good hands that got cracked - JJ to KK and AK to AA

10 FT this season - 1 win - 2 seconds which were chop outs ie shared cash and turn over cards. For the win I got card lucky and made good folds at the right time ( as opposed to the above 2 hands) and made calls which held
How often do you play? A season is like 3-4 months isn't it? 10 FT is pretty good across a season, though if you're playing twice a week or so I guess that's around 50% of the time or so? I've had 3 FT from the 10 pub games this year.

Card dry eats up your chips so you make hard calls on medium hands

Down to not much - Pocket 9s - first pockets in a long while. Player goes all in. Having watched him he usually goes all in on mixed pairs - I called - he had KQ- so I had that right. 1st card a Q and goodnight. Maybe if I hadnt been dry I may have folded and waited for a better opportunity.
It gets like that unfortunately

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
How often do you play? A season is like 3-4 months isn't it? 10 FT is pretty good across a season, though if you're playing twice a week or so I guess that's around 50% of the time or so? I've had 3 FT from the 10 pub games this year.

It gets like that unfortunately
Usually twice a week. 3 month seasons , around 25 games

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Usually twice a week. 3 month seasons , around 25 games
Actually just checked my stats as they only go by season and to see who won at my venue last night, bit of a surprise who won last night actually (didn't play, but will play next week), but anyways. All up it's actually 4FT from 10 games this year (2 state tourneys also, cashed first time there, but can't find those results)

First time I played APL was right at the end of season 2, FT there for a 4th (no cash as was under 25 players, so only paid top 3)

Two FTs from 3 games in season 3 (2 x 8th), then got injured and had 6 weeks off.

And once from 6 games in season 4, though 3 times I came between 10th-12th too and one of those 12th placed finishes I was absolutely robbed blind by suckouts once the blinds went up (had a decent stack before that too), any other night it'd have been a FT too, twas the night of that K9 vs KK hand that I melted about a few weeks ago :p

Seems we're going at similar FT ratios then, so it seems our games are playing out similarly then

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Last pub game for the year last night, not much of a momentum swinger like previous weeks, just got decent hands every 4-10 hands I guess until about the 10/20k bbs level then they started to dry up through til I was eliminated aside from one triple up I got on the final table bubble that was the difference between finishing 10th and 7th. Finally won most of my coin flips at pivotal times to regularly chip up and didn't cop any disgusting bad beats for a change, thus eliminating 4 players for the night.

I was ahead all 4 times when I got jammed on (W3L1) and behind twice at risk (W1L1)

QQ vs Q5 short stack BB at 1/2k bbs, (got tens to fold before we flipped after a big 3bet from me in middle position had her doubting where she was at, she bet 8k, I raised to 25k which was about a third of my stack, big lay down but correct from her, good player. I wouldn't have gotten away from it and probably would've just flat called it to see if I hit the flop, BB only jammed cos there was a big pot brewing, he could've gotten away from it though as he still had 5.5bbs)

A5 vs J7 (AJ4 board, short stack jam of 22k at 2/4k bbs, easy call as it was only like 15-20% of my stack and I put him on a jack as he only limped in preflop, I reckon if he had an ace he would've raised/jammed preflop. So yeah, it held)

Tens vs KQ at 4/8k bbs (I raised to 30k, got jammed on for 97k in total, about half my stack, called and I flopped a boat JJT, he turned an ace too to get Broadway, was pretty sick)

FT bubble with AK and 145k total (I was at risk with the second stack) vs QJ (short stack) vs 77s (big stack), flopped an ace and it held

44 vs A7 hearts (second hand of FT, blind vs blind, I limped in in the small hoping to see a flop then got jammed on, but got a good price at around 40-45% of my stack and narrow the field down, he flopped a black 7 and 53 of hearts, giving me a gutter and I already had the 4 of hearts, but I didn't catch my 5 outer 6/4, I probably would've folded if I was at risk, but as I wasn't I thought why not, seen deuces and 3s hold/hit sets)

3 round of blinds 20/40k bbs, jammed with A4 in SB for 85k (120k raise preflop already from early position, BB called and saw a flop, preflop raiser barreled the flop and the BB gave it away, preflop had 8s, I got 2 spades on the flop as I had the ace of spades, but I didn't turn another spade or hit that 3 outer ace)

Played pretty well for the most part I thought too, big crowd also, nearly 50 there was good to navigate through most of the field. Only got burnt twice, once with AK at $400-800 level, then another time with jacks at 5/10k, got away from both on the turn after horrendous flops for those cards and two rounds of barreling from my opponent after I was preflop aggressor. Was able to recover quickly from both though which helped. Mixed up my AK/AQ/AJ play in order to limit potential burns, found I hit more flops limping in aside from when I jammed with that AK. Think I went W2L1 with AK, W1 with AQ, W2C1L1 with AJ.

Generally lead out strong on the flop and 3bet preflop a few times when I was strong. Got paid off on rivers a few times too with hands like top pair, two pair and a set of 3s once which was nice, I imagine they were getting middle pair or something and couldn't get away from it. Was able to connect with the board and chip up in the blinds too, hands like Q3 and 92 were hitting two pair/top pair at times which helped also.

Bit annoyed I just fell short of the money, top 5 paid, came 7th, got to the final table with 355k at 15/30k bbs, only got to my third small blind (20/40k bbs) after getting bugger all from about 25 FT hands, but that happens I guess. The hand before I was eliminated when I was in my last BB one of the other short stacks shoved and a big stack called, short stack had AK hearts, big stack had AJ of spades, a jack came up on the flop, but the turn hit the king and he got a decent double up. If the AJ held then I likely would've folded right down to my 4th big blind with only 65k leftover in hope of one more elimination and getting to the money as it would've been on the money bubble with 6 left, alas I had to pick my moment, finally got an ace, hated it as it was weak but had to roll with it in hope.

But yeah, a decent night on the felt. I'm getting closer I feel to a top 3 finish/a win. Starting to figure out playing the rising blinds better like that difficult 3-6/5-10k period that makes or breaks your night in regards to going deep after getting really frustrated by how it was playing out for me in November. I think if you're getting a good price in the blinds, then that's when you see a flop/call a short stack jam etc. Only play aggressive with quality. Come FT, all luck with getting the cards.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Had a good season overall. Should finish number 1 overall and top 3 for both nights. 12 final tables for 2 wins , 2 seconds and random scatters. 50% FT rate is something I have been happy about - now to turn them into more wins

I need to stop chasing so much early as it can bleed a stack without thinking.

Best hand of the season was in the 1st hand of the night last week- blinds 50/100 - I'm on the button , UTG raises to 250 UTG2 calls I call with J5 (hey its the 1st hand) everyone else folds

Flop is 8K6 - UTG checks , UTG2 bets 1000 - I run away real quick and UTG1 says All In. UTG2 thinks about it and folds.

UTG1 shows AA - UTG2 shows AA - UTG2 said he thought the UTG1 had KK and folded on that basis. 1st hand of the night I can forgive him as its a long way to go (UTG2 finished 1st overall on one night to my 3rd)

1st hand of the night and both players had AA - cant say I have seen that before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Last pub game for the year last night, not much of a momentum swinger like previous weeks, just got decent hands every 4-10 hands I guess until about the 10/20k bbs level then they started to dry up through til I was eliminated aside from one triple up I got on the final table bubble that was the difference between finishing 10th and 7th. Finally won most of my coin flips at pivotal times to regularly chip up and didn't cop any disgusting bad beats for a change, thus eliminating 4 players for the night.

I was ahead all 4 times when I got jammed on (W3L1) and behind twice at risk (W1L1)

QQ vs Q5 short stack BB at 1/2k bbs, (got tens to fold before we flipped after a big 3bet from me in middle position had her doubting where she was at, she bet 8k, I raised to 25k which was about a third of my stack, big lay down but correct from her, good player. I wouldn't have gotten away from it and probably would've just flat called it to see if I hit the flop, BB only jammed cos there was a big pot brewing, he could've gotten away from it though as he still had 5.5bbs)

A5 vs J7 (AJ4 board, short stack jam of 22k at 2/4k bbs, easy call as it was only like 15-20% of my stack and I put him on a jack as he only limped in preflop, I reckon if he had an ace he would've raised/jammed preflop. So yeah, it held)

Tens vs KQ at 4/8k bbs (I raised to 30k, got jammed on for 97k in total, about half my stack, called and I flopped a boat JJT, he turned an ace too to get Broadway, was pretty sick)

FT bubble with AK and 145k total (I was at risk with the second stack) vs QJ (short stack) vs 77s (big stack), flopped an ace and it held

44 vs A7 hearts (second hand of FT, blind vs blind, I limped in in the small hoping to see a flop then got jammed on, but got a good price at around 40-45% of my stack and narrow the field down, he flopped a black 7 and 53 of hearts, giving me a gutter and I already had the 4 of hearts, but I didn't catch my 5 outer 6/4, I probably would've folded if I was at risk, but as I wasn't I thought why not, seen deuces and 3s hold/hit sets)

3 round of blinds 20/40k bbs, jammed with A4 in SB for 85k (120k raise preflop already from early position, BB called and saw a flop, preflop raiser barreled the flop and the BB gave it away, preflop had 8s, I got 2 spades on the flop as I had the ace of spades, but I didn't turn another spade or hit that 3 outer ace)

Played pretty well for the most part I thought too, big crowd also, nearly 50 there was good to navigate through most of the field. Only got burnt twice, once with AK at $400-800 level, then another time with jacks at 5/10k, got away from both on the turn after horrendous flops for those cards and two rounds of barreling from my opponent after I was preflop aggressor. Was able to recover quickly from both though which helped. Mixed up my AK/AQ/AJ play in order to limit potential burns, found I hit more flops limping in aside from when I jammed with that AK. Think I went W2L1 with AK, W1 with AQ, W2C1L1 with AJ.

Generally lead out strong on the flop and 3bet preflop a few times when I was strong. Got paid off on rivers a few times too with hands like top pair, two pair and a set of 3s once which was nice, I imagine they were getting middle pair or something and couldn't get away from it. Was able to connect with the board and chip up in the blinds too, hands like Q3 and 92 were hitting two pair/top pair at times which helped also.

Bit annoyed I just fell short of the money, top 5 paid, came 7th, got to the final table with 355k at 15/30k bbs, only got to my third small blind (20/40k bbs) after getting bugger all from about 25 FT hands, but that happens I guess. The hand before I was eliminated when I was in my last BB one of the other short stacks shoved and a big stack called, short stack had AK hearts, big stack had AJ of spades, a jack came up on the flop, but the turn hit the king and he got a decent double up. If the AJ held then I likely would've folded right down to my 4th big blind with only 65k leftover in hope of one more elimination and getting to the money as it would've been on the money bubble with 6 left, alas I had to pick my moment, finally got an ace, hated it as it was weak but had to roll with it in hope.

But yeah, a decent night on the felt. I'm getting closer I feel to a top 3 finish/a win. Starting to figure out playing the rising blinds better like that difficult 3-6/5-10k period that makes or breaks your night in regards to going deep after getting really frustrated by how it was playing out for me in November. I think if you're getting a good price in the blinds, then that's when you see a flop/call a short stack jam etc. Only play aggressive with quality. Come FT, all luck with getting the cards.
That 44 v A7 hand SB v BB. Based on your other info I'm assuming it was 15/30 blinds, you had 325k and opponent around 150k. You should shove 44 there 100% and make them decide if they want to risk their life. You will fold out heaps of hands that you're flipping with e.g J6, T7 and picking up the blinds is so important at FT.

What flop were you hoping for, assuming they checked their option? Their stack is too short to set-mine. Chances are you'll flop 3 overcards and then have to guess if one of them hit their random hand.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
That 44 v A7 hand SB v BB. Based on your other info I'm assuming it was 15/30 blinds, you had 325k and opponent around 150k. You should shove 44 there 100% and make them decide if they want to risk their life. You will fold out heaps of hands that you're flipping with e.g J6, T7 and picking up the blinds is so important at FT.

What flop were you hoping for, assuming they checked their option? Their stack is too short to set-mine. Chances are you'll flop 3 overcards and then have to guess if one of them hit their random hand.
Yeah I probably should have and yeah those stack sizes were about that give or take

Just don't like anything between 2s-8s tbf, rather see a flop and spike a set/some draw, feel 9s/10s/Qs hold best though, 9s+ or any Broadway cards I would've jammed on him for sure.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Lol, just playing a muck around app just before

Have aces in the SB, $250/500 bbs, raise to 3.1k, BB calls, everyone folds

Flop 9T6, 2 clubs, looks good to me, I barrell 3.9k, he calls

Turns a king, I've already put in 35-40% before, I shove. Get called, he has K2 :rolleyes::drunk:

Duece comes on the river...and sends me into tilt for a few hands

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yeah I probably should have and yeah those stack sizes were about that give or take

Just don't like anything between 2s-8s tbf, rather see a flop and spike a set/some draw, feel 9s/10s/Qs hold best though, 9s+ or any Broadway cards I would've jammed on him for sure.
Try not to think about whether you do or don't 'like' particular hands, or which ones 'seem' to win more often. It's just variance; the maths determine whether a move is correct or not, particularly at the FT where almost all of your decisions are pre-flop.

Heads-up spots like blind v blind, any pocket pair is a good hand. Shoving in your spot will win you a lot of pots uncontested, some flips like the one you had (which you'll still win 50% of the time), and only very few times will they dominate you with a bigger pair.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Try not to think about whether you do or don't 'like' particular hands, or which ones 'seem' to win more often. It's just variance; the maths determine whether a move is correct or not, particularly at the FT where almost all of your decisions are pre-flop.

Heads-up spots like blind v blind, any pocket pair is a good hand. Shoving in your spot will win you a lot of pots uncontested, some flips like the one you had (which you'll still win 50% of the time), and only very few times will they dominate you with a bigger pair.
Yeah I got busted by 4s tonight, Lol

Felt tonight was one of those nights where I played extremely well/generally made the right calls/reads though I was very card dry and made the most of what I was dealt. On about 6 different occasions that I recall I had 4 to a flush or 4 to a straight on the flop, yet the draws never came but I either, (A) got away from them early enough or (B) was able to check to see free cards or (C) paid the minimum to continue on, thus never really paying anyone off in the end where it could've crippled me. Tried to learn from previous mistakes like chasing too much when the cards just aren't falling my way.

Only won 5 hands for the night across 2 hours of play, yet I just missed out on the points from about 35 who rocked up (think I came 17th or 18th), dug right in and grinded it out. Pocket pairs like 5s/7s/8s weren't connecting with flops too, always 2-3 overs, got away from them early enough too, aside from queens early on (busted by 7s, used a chip up there). Got 2 bluffs through also though which I was pretty rapt with considering it isn't really part of my game, but had to have a crack considering I wasn't connecting.

Last 5 or so outings:

Largely card dry with a couple of bad beats here and there (aces cracked by Q5 where I blew off over a third of my stack for example)

Run good at risk/win most coin flips recovering from a very sluggish start, 4th

(Vic Champs) Real shocking teaser of a morning, nothing went right, out right on lunchtime having tens cracked by jacks. Probably the worst I've ever ran/been suckered in by, hands like bottom pair and a draw, open enders/4 to a flush on the flop never getting there etc which were never any good come showdown

Run consistently solidly until FT, generally recovered my stack whenever I got whittled down, 7th

(Tonight) Largely card dry, saw the warning signs though and played best I could learning from previous poor runs, like Vic Champs

So next time I play mid month, potentially I could run well, looks like a pattern?

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Started the year well

By the 2nd hour had 3x starting stack - 40+ runners

3rd hour ran dry and blinds started to bite- made some solid folds A10 - to shown AJ after considering a shove KJ to KA - eventually got lucky and doubled up and made FT with(what I thought was 105k but was) 90k - blinds 15/30

BB first hand 10/3 to a shove - I fold .60k. SB 7/8 and it folds to me I consider and look at BB stack and figure they will play . I fold. 45k. BB then says they had A10 and would have shoved anyway

Orbits around we lose 2 players I finally look down to AK at UTG2 , UTG1 shoves 80k , I shove my 45K , UTG3 shoves 120K and BB (chip leader) shoves into the 120K

4 hand all in - UTG1 A9 suited , my AK , next to me shows KK and BB shows 10/10 - actually happy with my position. Have blocked 1 K but only 2 A left in pack.

And the flop runs dry and KK takes the lot and I'm walking.

Overall happy with the night.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Online tournament, 108 players, final table 5 remaining. There's a player on tilt or not caring, he's shoving with any 2 cards every second hand. He gets lucky a few times and has a big stack. I'm a medium stack.

He shoves, everyone else folds, exactly what I've been waiting for, I know my range crushes his, I snap call with A10 suited, my reads tell me I'm ahead, I am ahead, he has J4o, he rivers a 4.

I was equal part pissed and proud. I played great to get to the final 5, and my read and decision was correct, I was heads up as a 66.5% fav with the money in. He got lucky, but most of the time that puts me as chip leader and I'm confident I could have won from there.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Online tournament, 108 players, final table 5 remaining. There's a player on tilt or not caring, he's shoving with any 2 cards every second hand. He gets lucky a few times and has a big stack. I'm a medium stack.

He shoves, everyone else folds, exactly what I've been waiting for, I know my range crushes his, I snap call with A10 suited, my reads tell me I'm ahead, I am ahead, he has J4o, he rivers a 4.

I was equal part pissed and proud. I played great to get to the final 5, and my read and decision was correct, I was heads up as a 66.5% fav with the money in. He got lucky, but most of the time that puts me as chip leader and I'm confident I could have won from there.
There are few things in tournament poker I find more tilting than suckouts from the "I don't give a *" guy.

I recall one time I had a really good stack down to the last 2 tables. I'd just moved to the table with a guy who was trying to hook up a Tinder date or something, and was doing his darndest to eliminate himself. Back to back hands:
I shove AJ, he calls with J7o, we both miss through the turn and he rivers a 7.
So next hand I shove A10, he calls with 52o, flop A33, turn 9, river 4. :sick: :mad:

If you don't want to play anymore, just stand up, grab your chips, give them to the TD, and * OFF!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There are few things in tournament poker I find more tilting than suckouts from the "I don't give a fu**" guy.

I recall one time I had a really good stack down to the last 2 tables. I'd just moved to the table with a guy who was trying to hook up a Tinder date or something, and was doing his darndest to eliminate himself. Back to back hands:
I shove AJ, he calls with J7o, we both miss through the turn and he rivers a 7.
So next hand I shove A10, he calls with 52o, flop A33, turn 9, river 4. :sick: :mad:

If you don't want to play anymore, just stand up, grab your chips, give them to the TD, and fu** OFF!!!
It ruins the game for everyone.
I once had a guy do it in a pub tournament, every hand from the first hand. It was a fold fest for the first 10 minutes before someone lucky woke up with high pockets, snap called and then had a double chip stack to everyone else at the table. That's not poker and it just makes the experience s**t for everyone else.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
It ruins the game for everyone.
I once had a guy do it in a pub tournament, every hand from the first hand. It was a fold fest for the first 10 minutes before someone lucky woke up with high pockets, snap called and then had a double chip stack to everyone else at the table. That's not poker and it just makes the experience s**t for everyone else.
There's one guy at one of my venues who plays like once a month who goes the hack, plays every hand and always busts out before the first break, but he'll leave some players with low tolerance levels pretty tilted.

He will 3bet/4bet big with overcards or small pairs and anything 9s+/AK/AQ will pretty much be a shove.

I figured out how to beat him preflop though pretty quickly if I wasn't coin flipping with him, just let him hang himself whenever I was strong though he had a knack of cracking big pocket pairs with absolute s**t.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There's one guy at one of my venues who plays like once a month who goes the hack, plays every hand and always busts out before the first break, but he'll leave some players with low tolerance levels pretty tilted.

He will 3bet/4bet big with overcards or small pairs and anything 9s+/AK/AQ will pretty much be a shove.

I figured out how to beat him preflop though pretty quickly if I wasn't coin flipping with him, just let him hang himself whenever I was strong though he had a knack of cracking big pocket pairs with absolute s**t.
Its incredibly hard to outplay stupid in a turbo blind tournament.
Potentially they have hit any board, and they realise all their equity every hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back