Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not knowing what the stack sizes are makes analysis harder but is a 5.5 BB raise pre standard? What hole cards are you calling with there so others don't think that they can just shove on your UTG 5.5x raise and make you fold?

Short stacked and out of position straddle......yo gamblin now. Dumb luck prevailed though.

I'll keep it simple. The start of the quote and the end of it are the problems you had in this hand "limped" and "called". If you're not folding K9 raise it pre....Jx might just fold leaving you HU with AT.
Bet your draws on that flop, Jx and AT might fold there
Calling is usually bad when you have nothing.

Standard

I like your love/hate relationship with AK haha

Lots of missing info for this hand.
You have 6.75 BB after the AK hand and now you have 5.75 BB left at the start of this hand. A6o isn't a great hand but it isn't the worst to get it in with preflop. Does Q9 fold to your shove pre? If you're not raising pre with A6o with 5.75 BB then what kind of flop are you hoping for that you can bet on?
Get it in Get value and bet bet bet bet bet

Your trip 6s hand happens but you got it in good and that's what should matter to you. As for 'if they held' forget that stuff, it's over.
As GreyCrow said above

Pub poker is weird, people will play loose at certain stages of the night and chase, some will chase all night. There's simply not enough time during the night to wait for the right spot to get a big hand though unless you're running good and picking them up regularly.

When I'm running short/middling in the middle of the night unless I get a big ace, KQ, a decent pair etc in early position I'll generally fold down to the button or hope to limp in/check in the blinds.

I will straddle early on in the night at about 300/600-500/1k blinds if I've been card dead the previous levels before that. It breaks the cycle, very rarely someone will wake up with a big hand and 3bet. Other times I might straddle if a few others at the table do it and it's cheap enough.

I've straddled about 5-6 times this year (probably every 2nd game I do one) and I've only been 3bet once where someone woke up with queens. I don't mind the play early on as it can be unpredictable and no one will put you on a range until how you play postflop.

I won and had a second two weeks ago, got it in good nearly every time. Unfortunately those types of nights don't come as often as I'd like them to.

As GreyCrow said above

Pub poker is weird, people will play loose at certain stages of the night and chase, some will chase all night. There's simply not enough time during the night to wait for the right spot to get a big hand though unless you're running good and picking them up regularly.

When I'm running short/middling in the middle of the night unless I get a big ace, KQ, a decent pair etc in early position I'll generally fold down to the button or hope to limp in/check in the blinds.

I will straddle early on in the night at about 300/600-500/1k blinds if I've been card dead the previous levels before that. It breaks the cycle, very rarely someone will wake up with a big hand and 3bet. Other times I might straddle if a few others at the table do it and it's cheap enough.

I've straddled about 5-6 times this year (probably every 2nd game I do one) and I've only been 3bet once where someone woke up with queens. I don't mind the play early on as it can be unpredictable and no one will put you on a range until how you play postflop.

I won and had a second two weeks ago, got it in good nearly every time. Unfortunately those types of nights don't come as often as I'd like them to.
I've never heard of a tournament that allows genuine straddles i.e. the straddler retains all of their pre flop options. If it is instead just a blind raise then it is a terrible play and you should cease immediately. You're just paying double the blinds to be out of position the rest of the hand, assuming you even get to see a flop.

I've never heard of a tournament that allows genuine straddles i.e. the straddler retains all of their pre flop options. If it is instead just a blind raise then it is a terrible play and you should cease immediately. You're just paying double the blinds to be out of position the rest of the hand, assuming you even get to see a flop.
^^^ This
Wise words go you pups and hence my dumb luck comment

^^^ This
Wise words go you pups and hence my dumb luck comment
Yes it's just a blind raise, but meh, I'll never do it more than once per game

It’s a bit of fun man. This is pub poker not the Aussie Millions...
Yeah, but from their posts over the past few months it is clear that they're taking the game seriously and want to improve by identifying and plugging leaks. Hence it's doing them a favour to point out this is a massive -EV play. There are benefits to occasionally straddling in cash games (mainly to take opponents out of their comfort zone by raising the stakes) but they don't apply to blind raises in tournaments .

Blinds 200/400
utg limps (who just won a big pot previous hand with trips & earlier cracked AA with very loose calling to river with Q7 for 2 pair)
utg+1limps
Folds around to me (7600) holding 2 black snowmen........ I raise to 1200
SB & BB fold
Flop is 10d 9h............8h
Sweet trips! But that board is so coordinated and makes my spidey senses tingle.
utg (22000) bets 1200
utg+1 folds
I re-raise to 5200 and he then puts me all in (like I wasn't committed with 5200 😏
What has he got?
And yes my post flop play was absolutely terrible. My mind was saying 'caution' but my muscle memory was reacting to 'trips' as I pushed chips in.
Rip it apart!

Blinds 200/400

I re-raise to 5200 and he then puts me all in (like I wasn't committed with 5200 😏
Starting stack?

Really at that stage with that stack - I assume you were cracked AA - and having 2 limpers then either your bet OR a shove is the right play - the shove after the flop is a given based on those cards.

I may have shoved pre-flop but thats a 50/50 call

Blinds 200/400
utg limps (who just won a big pot previous hand with trips & earlier cracked AA with very loose calling to river with Q7 for 2 pair)
utg+1limps
SB & BB fold
Sweet trips! But that board is so coordinated and makes my spidey senses tingle.
utg (22000) bets 1200
utg+1 folds
What has he got?
And yes my post flop play was absolutely terrible. My mind was saying 'caution' but my muscle memory was reacting to 'trips' as I pushed chips in.
Rip it apart!
I don't see how you can get away from that with your stack size after flopping a set in a raised pot. The pot has 4200 preflop and you have 6400 in your stack. You're getting it in there with a lot worse than bottom set. Even if he flopped the nuts you still have 2 streets to pair the board.

Starting stack?

Really at that stage with that stack - I assume you were cracked AA - and having 2 limpers then either your bet OR a shove is the right play - the shove after the flop is a given based on those cards.

I agree that it's on the border for shoving when we decide to raise preflop. I would raise more to account for the limpers as I don't want multiple opponents in that spot. Too much chance of high flops leaving you guessing whether they've hit or not. I don't want to be folding on the flop often when I only have 19 BB to start the hand.

As for villain's hand, on such a wet board their range is huge. Heaps of combo draws (QT, JT, XhTh), AT, KT, flush draw with overs, two pair, sets, flopped straight. We're ahead of a lot more hands than we're behind. Villain's weak donk bet is often top pair putting pressure on the raiser if they have missed the flop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting stack?

nah I just watched the sickness of another get AA busted by Q7.......7 on flop and called a flop bet and the turn bet with no draws....anyway my preflop action (16% of my stack) I think was 84% (lol more like 95%) committed if I hit my set but after I went back through the hand I realised I did have a chance to fold or at least control the bet size better.
After considering his range and also the fact he could have floated light it dawned on me that I failed to consider what range he was putting me on at the time. Yeah ya right I could have shoved pre and he may have folded? though thats unlikely but the thing I've taken away from this hand is how to plan better for low stacked sets on dangerous boards. Not saying I could fold (I have most of his range crushed) there in the same situation but I def know I can play it differently and perhaps change the outcome.

Oh btw what do you think were my oppos whole cards?

I don't see how you can get away from that with your stack size after flopping a set in a raised pot. The pot has 4200 preflop and you have 6400 in your stack. You're getting it in there with a lot worse than bottom set. Even if he flopped the nuts you still have 2 streets to pair the board.
sadly I had 1 out

Oh btw what do you think were my oppos whole cards?
Given the blind level , pub poker and he limped he could have anything to be fair.

I have no general feel but figured he had a Ten or 66

Given the above fresh info he could have 8J

Given the blind level , pub poker and he limped he could have anything to be fair.

I have no general feel but figured he had a Ten or 66

Given the above fresh info he could have 8J
I had 1 out........an 8 so he had either 9s or Ts......he had TT the lucky bugger flopped a set 2 hands in a row
Got any tricky hands youve had lately GreyCrow ?

I had 1 out........an 8 so he had either 9s or Ts......he had TT the lucky bugger flopped a set 2 hands in a row
Yeah misread it trying to play online poker - :D
Got any tricky hands youve had lately GreyCrow ?
Folded AA on Thursday and Friday night

Friday night - BB - level 200/400 I look down at AA

UTG1 limps and limps around to SB who raises to 800 I snap raise to 1600 - UTG1 and SB call

Flop is K7K ugh

UTG1 has a wide range and could have anything - especially this early - he loves his small pockets - he bets 6k

What has he got and what happens next?

Thursday night Blinds 100/200 again BB I look down at AA

Limps around and I raise to 800

3 callers.

Flop 567 rainbow - I bet 2000 - 1 caller

I put them on a draw which isnt helped by the 3 on the turn

I bet 2000 and he snaps it to 6000 - I look at him and fold my AA face up - he shows the 4

UTG1 limps and limps around to SB who raises to 800 I snap raise to 1600 - UTG1 and SB call

Flop is K7K ugh

UTG1 has a wide range and could have anything - especially this early - he loves his small pockets - he bets 6k

I'll assume you're BB and without stack sizes I'm not a fan of your min reraise to 1600.....just dont think its enough to get you HU.

Without knowing his play I call

I'll assume you're BB and without stack sizes I'm not a fan of your min reraise to 1600.....just dont think its enough to get you HU.

Without knowing his play I call
With the blinds so low the stacks are at or near starting ie 25k

With the 6k bet from UTG1 SB folded as did I - I showed my AA and UTG turned over pocket 7s for the flopped Full house. I have played enough with this player to know , while he can be wild and loose , his range is wide

He could have had Kx -

I just felt it was too early to get into a shoving contest , especially with the KK on the board. I figured if I called the 6k then I fairly well committed myself to the shove on the turn - and thats still feeling I am behind.

With the SB raising I felt he had pockets or an A - that he folded told me the A was more likely and he also folded to the Ks. That left my outs to 2 cards

Again too early and I have never been welded to AA - ie a few comments '' I would never fold AA''

Flop is K7K ugh

1 of 3 things

He called with kingshit so maybe a flopped full house

Or he has some sort of 7, then sucks out another 7 after you call the flop bet

Or he bluffed you and showed after you folded?

Anyways

I would've raised to about 2500-3000 preflop, too big a hand to min 3bet, make them pay up

I made one semi blunder in the SB on Thursday, also not raising enough

I've got a little over 100k 4-8k bbs, folds around to the button who limps

In the SB, old guy next to me in BB has about half me stack, 50 give or take, button has a bit more than me, probably 140-150k

I bump it up to 19k with ATh (my best ace hand of the night and breaks a card dead cycle), both BB and button call

Flop comes T23, all spades, I've got top top, a little worried about backdoor spades, but feel I'm well ahead still. I continue for 10k, BB jams his last 30-35k, button folds

I'm like damn, he's either got the spades or has a small pocket pair and hit a set, but I'm too priced in so throw in a red chip in hope. He had the spades and it ran clean.

He was such a conservative player, yet still called a raise with 67s when he was short. Like the very next hand when he was in the SB it folded around to him, the BB is all in for exactly 8k having lost a big pot 4-5 hands earlier, he's already in for 5k in the SB as it went up to 5-10k. I tell him it's only 3k to call, he hates his hand but calls, then he sees what he's up against (98) and immediately mucks his 53os giving her an unnecessary free walk without a flop. Such a mess...

Anyways, that hand I lost to him pretty much finished me for the night, I jammed a few hands later, picked up blinds, but jammed my next BB of about 70k in hope in a 3way all in after 30k of it was gone from 10-20k BB/ante.

Been done a couple of times lately with AT top top by short stack shoves where I was too priced in to get away from the hand, one was bottom set, the other was this flopped flush. Probably the flush was more obvious, but need to trust my reads more I think and give it up (conservative player, didn't have a totally wide range, but here he kind of did)

With the blinds so low the stacks are at or near starting ie 25k

With the 6k bet from UTG1 SB folded as did I - I showed my AA and UTG turned over pocket 7s for the flopped Full house. I have played enough with this player to know , while he can be wild and loose , his range is wide

He could have had Kx -

I just felt it was too early to get into a shoving contest , especially with the KK on the board. I figured if I called the 6k then I fairly well committed myself to the shove on the turn - and thats still feeling I am behind.

With the SB raising I felt he had pockets or an A - that he folded told me the A was more likely and he also folded to the Ks. That left my outs to 2 cards

Again too early and I have never been welded to AA - ie a few comments '' I would never fold AA''
Yeah adding on to that with extra info, that was too cheap for 7s imo preflop

Bumping it up to 3k or so with a big 3bet might've seen him fold. But you said he has a wide range so might've called too?

Yeah adding on to that with extra info, that was too cheap for 7s imo preflop

Bumping it up to 3k or so with a big 3bet might've seen him fold. But you said he has a wide range so might've called too?
Yeah he would have - he is the typical pub player - there for fun and to make wild arse calls - but good luck to him he has a ticket to Sydney and I dont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back