Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I watched a fair bit of the APL Millions stream on Twitch over the long weekend. Very enjoyable and the pace was great - the speed of decisions even when heads-up was astonishing, like a weekly APL game.

Some of the Day 1/2 play on the feature table though...jeesh, don't know how some of those folk qualified or had enough faith in their ability to buy in.
Oh wow, never knew they'd stream it on that

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Would that have been Ladies Day?

One of our regulars was on that stream. She bombed out around the same time I was picking up cash on Friday night
Not sure what Ladies Day is. This was Days 1 and 2 (Fri/Sat) of the main event and all of the terrible play I saw was from blokes. The few women I saw were playing OK.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Not sure what Ladies Day is. This was Days 1 and 2 (Fri/Sat) of the main event and all of the terrible play I saw was from blokes. The few women I saw were playing OK.
Ladies Day was just a reference to the table they featured which had 5 women on it. Was the Friday night

I had to pick a relo up in town last night so thought that I'd play a local pub game to kill some time.
I should have waited at home .......
200bb starting stacks so its deep but that didn't stop 2 ppl busting out in the 1st hand
7 handed
200/400
utg, mp & button limp
I'm in sb and raise to 1000
BB folds and the others call
Flop is Ah Jc 7d
I lead out for 1400
All fold to the button who tanks a little but then calls
Turn is Jd
I announce my bet of 7000 but as I do so a 25k chip has stuck to the bottom of a 5k chip and hits the felt so it looks like I've bet 32k. We sort it out and the 7k bet stands. He said he wasn't calling 32k but the 7k he would.
River is 10h
I check and he checks behind!
I show Kc Js
He said I've got a straight and shows 89d

A few hands later....
300/600
3 limp in SB folds
I'm bb and raise to 2700
2 call
Flop is 278 rainbow
I bet 5600
1 call
Turn is A
I check and she shoves for 38k
My 99 is cooked and she shows AJo

I want these calls but playing against speds is boring and a waste of energy and money......big reason why I don't do the pub thing much and only get involved in bigger tournaments now. Sure there's plenty of fish at them too but nothing like the things at the local bingo games

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I need to take emotion out of my betting

Young lad from post #1672

I have 35s Late MP - blinds are 100/200

It limps around and everyone calls the blind - including me until SB raises to 1200 - Call , Call , Call and I think thats 6k if I bet another K - call

Flop 3A3 , sweet

SB bets 1200 again 2 callers and I call

Turn is 3 - bingo winner here

Young lad bets 2k - folds to me and I only have 5k chips so I shrug and say 5k - he calls

River is a bust and he slam checks ie his chips hit the table hard - I immediately go all in - he thinks about it and folds after a few minutes

I turn over my Quad 3 and a few people say I should have maximised value by betting smaller. And they might be right and this is where I say I need to take out the emotion because he had annoyed me the few times we had played together

Yet I also felt his loose aggressive style was more prone to calling the All In - he may have put me on a FH with A3 - yet I thought for a little bit he may have had that hand. Yet his River bet said he didnt and the fold made me think he thought I had the A3 FH

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I need to take emotion out of my betting

Young lad from post #1672

I have 35s Late MP - blinds are 100/200

It limps around and everyone calls the blind - including me until SB raises to 1200 - Call , Call , Call and I think thats 6k if I bet another K - call

Flop 3A3 , sweet

SB bets 1200 again 2 callers and I call

Turn is 3 - bingo winner here

Young lad bets 2k - folds to me and I only have 5k chips so I shrug and say 5k - he calls

River is a bust and he slam checks ie his chips hit the table hard - I immediately go all in - he thinks about it and folds after a few minutes

I turn over my Quad 3 and a few people say I should have maximised value by betting smaller. And they might be right and this is where I say I need to take out the emotion because he had annoyed me the few times we had played together

Yet I also felt his loose aggressive style was more prone to calling the All In - he may have put me on a FH with A3 - yet I thought for alittle bit he may have had that hand. Yet his River bet said he didnt and the fold made me think he thought I had the A3 FH
How much did you have on the turn? Looks like you were all in then from the way you wrote it

Did you have like 15k instead?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
But yeah, a few times I've wasted opportunities to get max value out of opponents by either slow playing a monster and being scared I'll scare others off, or I'll overbet flops on draw heavy boards when I'm ahead as I guess getting sucked out on on later streets far too often plays on my mind

One hand at the grand slam i had ATos and i think we were playing $800-1600bbs or something, flop comes AT9 but also 2 clubs (9T) which i didn't hold one of, there was a 5k preflop raise from the SB after i limped in, so me and another guy flatted it. Checks around to me come the flop and i barrell 20k straight up, the 2 guys both hate my bet which suggests to me they've both got a piece, but give it up, maybe i should've just bet 5k there and lured them in, but eh, absolutely hated the 2 clubs/possible combo draw type hands out there. Preflop raiser said he had KQ clubs, gave up his gut shot straight flush draw, other guy had A5 and to make matters worse KQ guy rabbited the turn, would've been the case ace of clubs and a cooler situation for him......

I'll generally just jam with big pairs preflop these days at say 2-4kbbs onwards. Learnt my lesson in January in regards to big pairs.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rebounded very well tonight from two potentially big pickles that could've sent me home early where i was down to just 5k from my 15k starting stack and not even had started the second level of the night (got done by a 2nd nut straight by a nut straight), jammed that 5k with 2 black tens, 2 callers, they held and got me healthy again, then was able to chip up before the break then found myself in a pickle again after about the 2/4k level where i started to bleed chips across the first 2 levels after the break where i kept missing flops (lost about 45k from 72k), ending up having to knuckle down and fold alot of playable hands in early/middle position that i had that others would've played (connectors, weak/medium aces etc), was great to see big raises come later on preflop these hands so i wasn't donating chips in these spots.

Made 2 very good calls that saw me get to the final table with about 110k after being below 30k and all in

Got it in on the turn with a K9 two pair against AK at 3/6k bbs on a 955K board where I turned a better 2 pair, was a little worried about the 5s as he put me all in and he limped in on the button preflop and i was in the BB so thought his range could've been wide like A5/45/65 etc, but figured i was still live if i was behind here, felt it was a 70/30 kind of scenario for me, but got a nice chip up there. Same guy limped in with big aces all night though, brought him unstuck in the end come final table where a 94 suited in the BB cracked his AQos (turned flush vs two pair)

Few hands later I then hero called a decent 15k turn bet against my nemesis for the night with just AJos on a Q963 board with 2 diamonds at 4/8k bbs. Twas the only hand I won against him for the night and I only had 52k at the start of the hand from the SB, figured the guy was on a draw like 45 or 78 or something or worst case scenario he had a 9/6/3 etc but i was still live, river comes another 6 and we check it down and he mucks once i say ace high, later says he missed all the draws so my 45/78 read was probably correct, probably had diamonds too. I could've played it more aggressively preflop but it could've turned out differently/I might've been 15k worse off etc.

Card dead like normal come FT, folded half my stack down (2 full blind levels) but luckily enough the dominoes were falling around me, was 2 river cards away from a second where the eventual winner and eventual 3rd both sucked out 3 outers at risk on the guy who came second, came 4th in the end. Had a good night and a decent region rankings boost though (was the bubble boy for cash).

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Few hands later I then hero called a decent 15k turn bet against my nemesis for the night with just AJos on a Q963 board with 2 diamonds at 4/8k bbs. Twas the only hand I won against him for the night and I only had 52k at the start of the hand from the SB, figured the guy was on a draw like 45 or 78 or something or worst case scenario he had a 9/6/3 etc but i was still live, river comes another 6 and we check it down and he mucks once i say ace high, later says he missed all the draws so my 45/78 read was probably correct, probably had diamonds too. I could've played it more aggressively preflop but it could've turned out differently/I might've been 15k worse off etc.

Absolutely. Nice call and all that, but you should be shoving AJ in that spot. Even assuming villain was the only limper, that's still 20k (or 35% of your stack) in the pot when it gets to you and you need to take that down. It's unlikely a limper has a better hand than AJ and you only have the BB to worry about waking up with a monster.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I'm very surprised that every live poker venue I know in Adelaide is still operating as of now. I'm secretly hoping that APL cancel their events as I'm narrowly top of my local venue's leaderboard and personally have chosen to stop playing for now.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I'm very surprised that every live poker venue I know in Adelaide is still operating as of now. I'm secretly hoping that APL cancel their events as I'm narrowly top of my local venue's leaderboard and personally have chosen to stop playing for now.
:D

Still haven't heard about tomorrow yet but I assume the latest 100- will change that

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Absolutely. Nice call and all that, but you should be shoving AJ in that spot. Even assuming villain was the only limper, that's still 20k (or 35% of your stack) in the pot when it gets to you and you need to take that down. It's unlikely a limper has a better hand than AJ and you only have the BB to worry about waking up with a monster.
Was 4 handed actually til the turn

Ace hands stunk it up all night actually, went far better with hands that had a 9/T/J/K in them or a combo of the 4

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah was one of the reasons i played at a different venue in my region last night, try and sneak a game in before we get shut down and keep my regional rank high

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Was 4 handed actually til the turn

Ace hands stunk it up all night actually, went far better with hands that had a 9/T/J/K in them or a combo of the 4
Even more reason to shove then. You're ahead of their limping range and the more limpers there are the more each of them have to worry about someone overcalling, making it more likely they fold. Adding 50% to your stack without seeing a flop is a massive win at that stage of the tournament.

Don't worry about what hands have/haven't been hitting, it's not relevant at all to the current decision.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Even more reason to shove then. You're ahead of their limping range and the more limpers there are the more each of them have to worry about someone overcalling, making it more likely they fold. Adding 50% to your stack without seeing a flop is a massive win at that stage of the tournament.

Don't worry about what hands have/haven't been hitting, it's not relevant at all to the current decision.
While i agree it's just where i was at that present state of time, i think regularly missing flops was playing on my mind a little hence a lack of confidence, but felt the conservative see flops when priced in in the blinds strategy was the way to go and it got me to 4th in the end.

Got AJ twice for the night which was my strongest ace hand, can't remember how many times i got A2-A9 though for the night and missed the flop or let it go preflop due to early position/facing a raise, was the right call most of the time.

Only pairs i got were tens and sevens (nemesis cracked my sevens easily with AT, i tried to rep a big hand bumping it up to 15k preflop from 2-4kbbs but he wasn't buying it), checked it down as a queen and a jack were there too, felt he hit and was calling me if i fired off a semi bluff.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
While i agree it's just where i was at that present state of time, i think regularly missing flops was playing on my mind a little hence a lack of confidence, but felt the conservative see flops when priced in in the blinds strategy was the way to go and it got me to 4th in the end.

Got AJ twice for the night which was my strongest ace hand, can't remember how many times i got A2-A9 though for the night and missed the flop or let it go preflop due to early position/facing a raise, was the right call most of the time.

Only pairs i got were tens and sevens (nemesis cracked my sevens easily with AT, i tried to rep a big hand bumping it up to 15k preflop from 2-4kbbs but he wasn't buying it), checked it down as a queen and a jack were there too, felt he hit and was calling me if i fired off a semi bluff.
It's hard to tell yourself to keep playing your hands correctly when you're running bad. I've been there plenty of times myself and you just have to trust the process/maths over your gut.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
:D

Still haven't heard about tomorrow yet but I assume the latest 100- will change that
All games on tonight except McQueens - but that venue is going through a change of action so it could be CV or just management saying FO

Thursday night my venue is on but Checkside and German Arms cancelled

Friday night all venues except McQueens late one again

Looks to be some deciding to play on and some not

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
1584516993408.png

Due to the increasing community concern around Coronavirus (Covid-19) we have decided to postpone all APL Major Events until further notice. These events include, but are not limited to, APLPT, Super Series & Monthly VIP Loyalty Events.

All season 1, 2020 qualifications into major events will be honoured and the events will be conducted when they are both safe and legal to do so.

Please keep an eye out for regular email communications and visit PlayAPL.com as well as the Australian Poker League Facebook page for more information.

Our regular nightly events will continue to run for the time being. We are actively supporting venue decisions to continue to operate games where they choose to in order to keep people in employment. TD’s and players have all been instructed to maintain a high standard of hygiene, including regular and thorough hand washing. Hand sanitiser should be available at your events, if its not please contact info@playapl.com.

Please make sure to not attend any nightly events if you are showing any CV symptoms and seek medical advice if required.

The APL Team wish you, your family and friends the best of health during these trying times. We look forward to returning to normal event scheduling soon and can’t wait to see you at these events.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
All games on tonight except McQueens - but that venue is going through a change of action so it could be CV or just management saying FO

Thursday night my venue is on but Checkside and German Arms cancelled

Friday night all venues except McQueens late one again

Looks to be some deciding to play on and some not
Checkside was cancelled a few weeks back as they're doing renovations.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
View attachment 841932

Due to the increasing community concern around Coronavirus (Covid-19) we have decided to postpone all APL Major Events until further notice. These events include, but are not limited to, APLPT, Super Series & Monthly VIP Loyalty Events.

All season 1, 2020 qualifications into major events will be honoured and the events will be conducted when they are both safe and legal to do so.

Please keep an eye out for regular email communications and visit PlayAPL.com as well as the Australian Poker League Facebook page for more information.

Our regular nightly events will continue to run for the time being. We are actively supporting venue decisions to continue to operate games where they choose to in order to keep people in employment. TD’s and players have all been instructed to maintain a high standard of hygiene, including regular and thorough hand washing. Hand sanitiser should be available at your events, if its not please contact info@playapl.com.

Please make sure to not attend any nightly events if you are showing any CV symptoms and seek medical advice if required.

The APL Team wish you, your family and friends the best of health during these trying times. We look forward to returning to normal event scheduling soon and can’t wait to see you at these events.
Good to get some dialogue here then

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Thread here for covid-19

Back