Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
What restrictions, if any, did you play under?

Here in SA it's been fairly standard 6 table sanitise every break or table move (though this one is getting less monitored)

Final table 6 with TD dealing and a digital final table of 9 ie points are still awarded - not sure why as no qualifying can happen until we get to 8 per table

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
What restrictions, if any, did you play under?

Here in SA it's been fairly standard 6 table sanitise every break or table move (though this one is getting less monitored)

Final table 6 with TD dealing and a digital final table of 9 ie points are still awarded - not sure why as no qualifying can happen until we get to 8 per table
No restrictions

Everyone had to sign in to the venue though for contract tracing

There was a few bottles of sanitiser going around though too

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
No restrictions

Everyone had to sign in to the venue though for contract tracing

There was a few bottles of sanitiser going around though too
Sounds much better than the current SA restrictions. I've barely played in the last 12 months as my regular game never restarted after Covid and there seems little point in playing without major events to qualify for.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
My night summed up by two hands
20210131_003658.jpg

That's me with 65, limped pot, I bet flop and had 2 callers.
20210131_003622.jpg

I had both stacks dominated here, so moved in on them. So um yeah, of course 47 nailed his 3 outer gutter and faded all the outs I had to get there.

So half my stack gone

Last one

20210131_003555.jpg

Yep, checked my ace on the flop so I didn't lose her (I raised 3xbb), I was UTG here she was BB (had my table order wrong here on the screenshot)

Anyways, I didn't win this hand, back to getting runner runnered when miles in front...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
My night summed up by two handsView attachment 1048551

That's me with 65, limped pot, I bet flop and had 2 callers.
View attachment 1048552

I had both stacks dominated here, so moved in on them. So um yeah, of course 47 nailed his 3 outer gutter and faded all the outs I had to get there.

So half my stack gone

Last one

View attachment 1048553

Yep, checked my ace on the flop so I didn't lose her (I raised 3xbb), I was UTG here she was BB (had my table order wrong here on the screenshot)

Anyways, I didn't win this hand, back to getting runner runnered when miles in front...

Mate, what site is that?

I am playing on Ignition using Bitcoin but am interested to know what other options are out there for Australians looking for real money play.

Shocking beats by the way. Ugly.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mate, what site is that?

I only use it to screenshot hands that I vividly remember from the pub night or whatever, I don't play online

I am playing on Ignition using Bitcoin but am interested to know what other options are out there for Australians looking for real money play.

Shocking beats by the way. Ugly.
I was actually 2nd post flop the whole way with the 65, lol, just the other guys swapped leads.

Just a typical hand getting it in thinking I'm up against some sort of 10 (with 1 bloke I was), then the deck never bails me out when I have 10+ cards to suck out with (If I was all in with the straight, absolutely I'd have lost to the flush on the river, I'm one of the best guys to suck out on)

And yeah, that AJ hand stunk really bad

Reminds me of 1 hand early last year

Blind vs blind, I've got pocket 3s

Flop comes K63, flop a set, again, I don't want to scare old bird off, so I check

Turn comes a 9, I lead out, she calls

River comes a jack, I again lead out and she snap calls, I flip it over thinking I'm good and she rolls over queen bloody ten for a rivered runner runner straight (was more annoyed she didn't raise me as she had the nuts as it was a rainbow board)

Anyways

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
APL Adelaide (SA) are getting back to 8 per Table

Bit squishy after all that freedom but games running a tad longer (11.30 finish Thursday night - 46 runners) but also freedom to sit a few more hands out

I note for MrKK that his Wednesday venue looks to be open again so expect a few bad beat brag stories soon

I blew an opportunity to go back to back

Won Thursday night then Final Table Friday and sitting last 4 look down at 88 - UTG2 - UTG shoves 55k? Instead of shoving my 160k stack I had a brain fart and shoved 100k in hoping the BB had nothing ( to be honest I still have no idea what I was thinking)

BB calls my 100k - 2 live runners - flop 79K - I check BB bets 100k - I fold - cards are turned over - BB shows K9 - to AJ - turn of course is the 8 and it would have held

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
APL Adelaide (SA) are getting back to 8 per Table

Bit squishy after all that freedom but games running a tad longer (11.30 finish Thursday night - 46 runners) but also freedom to sit a few more hands out

I note for MrKK that his Wednesday venue looks to be open again so expect a few bad beat brag stories soon

I blew an opportunity to go back to back

Won Thursday night then Final Table Friday and sitting last 4 look down at 88 - UTG2 - UTG shoves 55k? Instead of shoving my 160k stack I had a brain fart and shoved 100k in hoping the BB had nothing ( to be honest I still have no idea what I was thinking)

BB calls my 100k - 2 live runners - flop 79K - I check BB bets 100k - I fold - cards are turned over - BB shows K9 - to AJ - turn of course is the 8 and it would have held
Cheers for the heads up about 8 per table GC :thumbsu:

My regular venue had Wed and Thur games ( I oy played the latter) pre Covid, but up to now has only run the Wednesday game since restarting. Hopefully that changes now the numbers are back up.

Unlucky hand there, but as you know the mistake was preflop. You don't want to be taking flops that late in the game in APL. Most people are terrible at push/fold strategy so you want to exploit that.
Congrats on your win the previous night.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So just played that appeak app

Against same Canadian opponent here, absolutely bullshit algorithm stuff going on here

20210131_150905.jpg

I'm sitting with the nuts

Some flop betting before me, I barrell, Canadian bitch comes over top, I happily snap jam

And yep, spade bloody spade

Few hands later, same opponent, she 3 bets me preflop, I'm all in as I know she overvalues her hands, she takes nearly her whole 20 seconds before calling and algorithm to the rescue again for her

20210131_150847.jpg

= me on tilt and all in every hand to wreck it for everyone forcing them to leave

Don't get me on tilt

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Southern Poker Tour event at Tanunda final table tag team event

Blinds 40/80k

Button shoves all in 180k and SB with 215k calls BB folds

Button shows 89 clubs SB 10s

Flop is 4TK Ten's hit his set
Turn is a 7

And you can guess the river

Tens is stunned and chips out next hand 89 ends up 3rd

Poker!

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Southern Poker Tour event at Tanunda final table tag team event

Blinds 40/80k

Button shoves all in 180k and SB with 215k calls BB folds

Button shows 89 clubs SB 10s

Flop is 4TK Ten's hit his set
Turn is a 7

And you can guess the river

Tens is stunned and chips out next hand 89 ends up 3rd

Poker!
Always the way

Reminds me of the first major state tournament I played in 2019, we were near the money (40), about 6-7 tables left from 550 odd players

I'm in the SB with near 500k.

Young chick on my left the BB, she only has 80k or so left, blinds are 15-30k with a BB ante

Folds around to me, I get a suited J4h

Figure, well, I'm getting a discount only another 50k to put her all in and no doubt she'll call as more than half her stack is already gone from the ante/BB and I'm eliminating someone close to the bubble.

She has Q9, I hit my jack but the way the board ran out she made a straight from it, needed a 4

Anyways, so she's up to about 150k now

She chipped up a little the next round before her next blinds, think 3-4 hands later she jammed on the blinds but they fold so she's over 200k there, then she took down another cheap one from a flop bet from a limp in from early position, only the BB up against her, so she's around 300k now, think it's 20-40kbbs now.

Then we were in the blinds again.

UTG+2+3 both jam

Folds to me in the SB, got rags, I fold, she's thinks about it then jams

UTG short stack (about same stack as her) has 9s, the other UTG who has them covered has jacks, she has KJos

Board ran out clean for jacks until the king came out on the river and she takes the lot (aside from a tiny sidepot that jacks got back) and her stack is up to nearly a million

A few hands later once we were in the money, she eliminated the jacks guy and she's upto 1.5m easy. Pretty sure that was another loose call from her and she sucked out (A6 or something against something decent like queens or kings and hit her 3 outer). But yeah, me chipping her up saw her on a massive heater. 80k to 1.5m over winning 5-6 hands, lol.

I ended up coming 21st after I got whittled down, lost a pivotal AKs vs a Q9s short stack flip that would've got me back healthy to see a few more rounds of blinds, but wasn't to be even with all the outs in the world (he faded the flush draw, gutter and overcards). Dunno if she made FT, but she should've based off her increasing chip position.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Farkin over playing this Monday game at one of my local venues, just the same old trash every week there...

Early in get ATos on the button, not a fan of the hand due to the many times I've been sucked out/out drawn with it, so I just limp in (AJ+ is my A raising range if it's not suited). Got ace of clubs here, flop comes 335, 2 clubs, checks around, turn comes T of clubs, ripper top pair and flush draw, a guy finally bet in early position, I smooth call, SB calls. River another T, checks to me, I bet, only the SB calls, I'm obviously good and that was the high point of the night I'd say.

Then I go on a run of hitting middle/bottom pairs with defendable hands for 15 minutes and can't find the cards to improve on later streets aside from 1 dry board I had an ace, slow played it hoping someone would catch something, alas not and I only marginally chip up there. Got whittled down to about 16k after about 4-5 turn/river folds where I didn't catch pots and decided ok, have to play solid conservative play here (defend my blinds in the right circumstances, go hard with premium holdings etc)

For the next half hour I get a run of trash like

J4os
J6s
The Brunson
T3os
93os
94s
73s
62s
34os
23os
Q3os
74os
83os

Any time I had suited connectors/connectors or a weak/medium king/ace I was always facing big raises/all ins beforehand (they always had it), or it was in early position and not worth the risk committing to, so had to let them go (would've always missed the flop anyway so no regrets there). Just could not see a cheap flop at all with defendable holdings.

Eventually stopped looking at my cards come the blinds due to either being repeatedly raised on with just average holdings not worthy of a defend or just looked at absolute trash, had absolutely no faith in the deck. If it was a clean run to me preflop be it limps/folds then I'd either call in the SB as the guy in the BB next to me rarely raised, or checked my BB and only looked at my cards once the flop came, I don't think people spotted a weakness in that I was an instafold, they generally had it as many hands went to showdown. So yeah, this yolo preflop strategy came off one time just before the break, limps around to me in the SB, I blind call, BB checks, flop comes 448, two spades, I see A5 spades and check, early position bets 2k, one of the 2 fish at the table jams all in and has me covered, she was the type of fish who was married to any pocket pair or suited cards (earlier on she paid off an ace holding queens and wanted to call jams with T8h a few hands later preflop and sooked about she would've got there on the river if she called it), so I felt she may just be jamming with some sort of 8 here, I jam my last 11k and the initial better folds, I was right, she had 78d. I nail my spade on the turn and dodge the 4 outer on the river and that was the last hand I won for the night.

Get AQos UTG a couple hands in after the break, raise 3x get 2 callers flop comes 589 2h, absolutely yuck, nowhere near this and hold no hearts either, SB barrels into me and I have to let it go. Normal programming with trash resumes until I get pocket 8s in the SB facing a 2.5bb raise, I flat it hoping to see a favourable flop, nope QJ rag, he bets 10k and I fold show, he shows a queen at least. I'm pretty tilted now but, but it's like a reverse tilt, also didn't help 8s are right up there as my most hated hand, absolute worst pocket pair, never spike sets, never flop open enders/gutters etc, have never won a hand with it playing live, only chopped once because a straight was on the board. Few hands later I called a 10k jam with QT, all folds to me so I called on the button and BB calls, completely bricked the board with small cards and the BB wins with J8 rivering an 8 (jammer had AJ).

Anyways, second last hand I play, have KTos on the button with 21k left, all limps, I limp hoping I can get it in good on later streets but also get some value. Flop comes 842, two spades, all check, king of spades on the turn, all checks to me, I bet 6k wary of the draw heavy board but moreso to charge any 1 spade holdings, the guy on my right calls, he's a fish too, paid off a few all night and chased far too often, though he wasn't as bad a player as the other fish who I doubled through, river was a 6 of spades, SB melts as he would've nailed his flush, we both check and I flip over KT thinking it's good. Nope, fish has K8 for top two...fml what are you doing slow playing top pair then top 2 pair.........

Here comes the good part

So I get moved to another table straight after that, I have 3 cracks at it before my BB swallows up my 15k, second hand in I look at 9Tos, love the hand but wasn't feeling it, would've completely missed anyway. So I have to jam on my BB.

The 5 handed table does me a massive favour by all limping in (down to 17-18 players), I look at 65os and obviously jam, I have the much needed value if I win, but also feel my hand could flop, only the SB folds. Flop comes 6d5d4h, they all check, I'm loving it with top 2 here, turn comes Ac, guy on my left bets, 1 chick calls, still think I'm good though but don't want to see a diamond, 4 liner to a straight, or any board pairing other than a 5 or 6. River comes 4d, I'm thinking yep, typical, just been rivered here by an ace holding, so guy checks, chick bets, guy calls on my left and immediately shows A8os, chick shows J2d, rivered by both of them but the completely trash hand that should've been mucked preflop wins... so i muck them face up in disgust, SB does the whole woah unlucky bro kinda thing.

Really do not want to play at this venue anymore, it's either card dead city or suckout city (I don't mind cooler city, I can live with that).

Might play a cheap game tomorrow night at another venue in my region that's just reopening, have a good record of always final tabling when I play there, but aside from that, don't think I'll play for a while now.

Might do a poker card calculator on my all in hands

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
20210209_001451.jpg

20210209_001425.jpg

Probably the first hand I've posted here using the calculator where I've won

44% equity when I got it in, so basically a flip still. Didn't feel like I sucked out at all, felt the spades were coming and still had the 3 aces/backdoor runner gutters left too.

Not really fussed losing this one with QT, was worth a call the way the table played out as I had a reasonable hand to crack most ace holdings but the worst hand preflop got there on the river with just a pair of 8s... the AJ should've tripled through us.
20210209_001409.jpg

Then this one...jack deuce, seriously, muck that absolute shite preflop...the ace I'm ok losing to in this situation, he got one of the best turn cards in the deck to give himself 9 outs for the outright win, be it any non diamond A874, but jack bloody deuce, yuck (any diamond or 3 her outs there)...

20210209_001747.jpg

20210209_001715.jpg

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Sometimes the River gods help you and other times they dont - I certainly include river luck as a reason for my deep run on the weekend

Playing a table with a loose aggressive player aka donk - the kind that plays 3/10 and hits the FH on the flop

In trying to chase down his range I spent nearly half my stack (and thats on me ) look down at QQ in the BB - Blinds 300/600

LAG opens to 1800 - SB calls I raise to 5k leaving me with 12k - LAG says ' easiest call I ever made' - (yeah whatever) SB calls

Flop is A7T rainbow

SB checks - I think about it a bit and wonder if this is it - given the wide range of LAG I decide to shove my 12k - LAG snaps me and SB folds

LAG has trip 7s - oiks

I turn over my QQ and push my chair back - until I hit the Q on the river

Deeper into the tournament in bubble proximity I see Qs4d in the BB - blinds are now 10/20k and I have very little left - maybe 70k

Folds around to SB who has imbibed quite a few of the winerys goods and has been obnoxious all weekend - ' yeah listen I'm gonna be kind to you and just call'' - sigh- I call to see a flop

Flop is 842 - 2 spades - check check
9 spades on the turn - '' you might call me an a-hole but I'm gonna bet here ' - min bet from SB and again I think about it - it feels like a push bet - I have hit with my 4 and have a Q spade with only 2 higher spades - and again its one of those moments

I shove my stack and he calls after a moment and turns over K9 with the K spade (gulp) - his 9 is good and any spade gives him the higher flush

River is the Q - I take his money and he tilts next hand shoving 46off losing to SB

I finished the tournament on FT and lose AQ to KK

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Farkin over playing this Monday game at one of my local venues, just the same old trash every week there...

Early in get ATos on the button, not a fan of the hand due to the many times I've been sucked out/out drawn with it, so I just limp in (AJ+ is my A raising range if it's not suited). Got ace of clubs here, flop comes 335, 2 clubs, checks around, turn comes T of clubs, ripper top pair and flush draw, a guy finally bet in early position, I smooth call, SB calls. River another T, checks to me, I bet, only the SB calls, I'm obviously good and that was the high point of the night I'd say.

Then I go on a run of hitting middle/bottom pairs with defendable hands for 15 minutes and can't find the cards to improve on later streets aside from 1 dry board I had an ace, slow played it hoping someone would catch something, alas not and I only marginally chip up there. Got whittled down to about 16k after about 4-5 turn/river folds where I didn't catch pots and decided ok, have to play solid conservative play here (defend my blinds in the right circumstances, go hard with premium holdings etc)

For the next half hour I get a run of trash like

J4os
J6s
The Brunson
T3os
93os
94s
73s
62s
34os
23os
Q3os
74os
83os

Any time I had suited connectors/connectors or a weak/medium king/ace I was always facing big raises/all ins beforehand (they always had it), or it was in early position and not worth the risk committing to, so had to let them go (would've always missed the flop anyway so no regrets there). Just could not see a cheap flop at all with defendable holdings.

Eventually stopped looking at my cards come the blinds due to either being repeatedly raised on with just average holdings not worthy of a defend or just looked at absolute trash, had absolutely no faith in the deck. If it was a clean run to me preflop be it limps/folds then I'd either call in the SB as the guy in the BB next to me rarely raised, or checked my BB and only looked at my cards once the flop came, I don't think people spotted a weakness in that I was an instafold, they generally had it as many hands went to showdown. So yeah, this yolo preflop strategy came off one time just before the break, limps around to me in the SB, I blind call, BB checks, flop comes 448, two spades, I see A5 spades and check, early position bets 2k, one of the 2 fish at the table jams all in and has me covered, she was the type of fish who was married to any pocket pair or suited cards (earlier on she paid off an ace holding queens and wanted to call jams with T8h a few hands later preflop and sooked about she would've got there on the river if she called it), so I felt she may just be jamming with some sort of 8 here, I jam my last 11k and the initial better folds, I was right, she had 78d. I nail my spade on the turn and dodge the 4 outer on the river and that was the last hand I won for the night.

Get AQos UTG a couple hands in after the break, raise 3x get 2 callers flop comes 589 2h, absolutely yuck, nowhere near this and hold no hearts either, SB barrels into me and I have to let it go. Normal programming with trash resumes until I get pocket 8s in the SB facing a 2.5bb raise, I flat it hoping to see a favourable flop, nope QJ rag, he bets 10k and I fold show, he shows a queen at least. I'm pretty tilted now but, but it's like a reverse tilt, also didn't help 8s are right up there as my most hated hand, absolute worst pocket pair, never spike sets, never flop open enders/gutters etc, have never won a hand with it playing live, only chopped once because a straight was on the board. Few hands later I called a 10k jam with QT, all folds to me so I called on the button and BB calls, completely bricked the board with small cards and the BB wins with J8 rivering an 8 (jammer had AJ).

Anyways, second last hand I play, have KTos on the button with 21k left, all limps, I limp hoping I can get it in good on later streets but also get some value. Flop comes 842, two spades, all check, king of spades on the turn, all checks to me, I bet 6k wary of the draw heavy board but moreso to charge any 1 spade holdings, the guy on my right calls, he's a fish too, paid off a few all night and chased far too often, though he wasn't as bad a player as the other fish who I doubled through, river was a 6 of spades, SB melts as he would've nailed his flush, we both check and I flip over KT thinking it's good. Nope, fish has K8 for top two...fml what are you doing slow playing top pair then top 2 pair.........

Here comes the good part

So I get moved to another table straight after that, I have 3 cracks at it before my BB swallows up my 15k, second hand in I look at 9Tos, love the hand but wasn't feeling it, would've completely missed anyway. So I have to jam on my BB.

The 5 handed table does me a massive favour by all limping in (down to 17-18 players), I look at 65os and obviously jam, I have the much needed value if I win, but also feel my hand could flop, only the SB folds. Flop comes 6d5d4h, they all check, I'm loving it with top 2 here, turn comes Ac, guy on my left bets, 1 chick calls, still think I'm good though but don't want to see a diamond, 4 liner to a straight, or any board pairing other than a 5 or 6. River comes 4d, I'm thinking yep, typical, just been rivered here by an ace holding, so guy checks, chick bets, guy calls on my left and immediately shows A8os, chick shows J2d, rivered by both of them but the completely trash hand that should've been mucked preflop wins... so i muck them face up in disgust, SB does the whole woah unlucky bro kinda thing.

Really do not want to play at this venue anymore, it's either card dead city or suckout city (I don't mind cooler city, I can live with that).

Might play a cheap game tomorrow night at another venue in my region that's just reopening, have a good record of always final tabling when I play there, but aside from that, don't think I'll play for a while now.

Might do a poker card calculator on my all in hands
Honestly, a break sounds like the best thing for you. If you're struggling to deal with the tilt to the extent you're playing blind preflop then you're going into bingo territory and giving away any skill edge you may have. If you want to be a winning player you have to minimise the luck element, not go the other way.

There is a lot in your postings about 'did/didn't feel it, hand xx never wins, would've missed the flop anyway'. Need to cut that s**t out. The cards don't give SFA about your feelings, all that matters is making the best decision in every situation and the rest will take care of itself in the long run.

You should also be reviewing your hands to check your decisions and what you could've done better, not to see how bad the odds on suckouts were.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
What's your call?

Final table and final 3. Payout 2200 , 1500 , 950

Blinds 150/300k

I am on the BB

Button has the big stack SB has about 400k more than me

Button shoves and SB also shoves. Now my usual stand on all-ins is to get out of the way but it's final 3

I look at QQ

What do you do?

I freaked. Because I don't like a multipot I need a damn good hand to call

But it was more than that. If I fold and let the 2 fight it out then 2nd is achievable all be it against a huge stack

1 or both must have an A and 1 or both must have pockets.

An opportunity at 1500 was there .

I tanked for a while and decided my Qs were too pretty to let go plus having to give up 300k was ony mind

Button shows AT and SB shows JJ

My ladies hold and I end up winning after a tight tussle as JJ took SB chips that I didn't get

Last edited:

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
What's your call?

Final table and final 3. Payout 2200 , 1500 , 950

Blinds 150/300k

I am on the button

SB has the big stack BB has about 400k more than me

SB shoves and BB also shoves. Now my usual stand on all-ins is to get out of the way but it's final 3

I look at QQ

What do you do?

I freaked. Because I don't like a multipot I need a damn good hand to call

But it was more than that. If I fold and let the 2 fight it out then 2nd is achievable all be it against a huge stack

1 or both must have an A and 1 or both must have pockets.

An opportunity at 1500 was there .

I tanked for a while and decided my Qs were too pretty to let go

SB shows AT and BB shows JJ

My ladies hold and I end up winning after a tight tussle as JJ took SB chips that I didn't get
If you're button then haven't you already acted before they shoved? What were the stacks relative to blinds?

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoops. I must have been BB :$

And correct because that also informed my decision

It was a long night
Tough spot. Lack of ICM knowledge is a big leak in my game and I don't know what result an ICM model would spit out in that spot.

I'm assuming everyone is short stacked as is the case in these types of events, and every decision is push/fold.
Button chip leader should be shoving wide to pressure the others so I'm not worried about him.
SB call is scary as he's risking elimination but he would expect button to be light.

All up I would make the call. If I finish 3rd, so be it, this is a great chance to put you in the lead and SB may get eliminated on top. Only 2 hands dominate you and you'd hope the other two have blockers to each other.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Honestly, a break sounds like the best thing for you. If you're struggling to deal with the tilt to the extent you're playing blind preflop then you're going into bingo territory and giving away any skill edge you may have. If you want to be a winning player you have to minimise the luck element, not go the other way.
Only had 3 games back

Not ready for a break, but definitely am from this particular venue. Last January I had a horrendous run in general but it changed bigtime come February where I had like 5 FTs including a 1st and 2nd in the same week.

And I totally agree with minimising the luck element, I get a premium I go to war with it, get a solid hand in late position facing a heap of limpers I'll raise big to get a few out of the hand to improve my odds on later streets. But when your only defendable hands (suited connectors, weak/medium kings/aces) come in early position with a dwindling stack and you constantly look at rags in late position what do you do? This is the type of night I've had both times this year at this particular venue on top of similar runs precovid last year there. Other venues I run consistently better but it's the only game less than 20 minutes away as other games on other nights close by aren't running.

I played the aggressive game with decent enough hands the other week, got stacks in and was coolered, if I lose I rather play that way as most of the time I'll be good and chipping up. Have not had the opportunity to do that at this venue.

I also don't play cash games, I only play turbos then the odd state tournament from qualifying from these turbos. I was a winning player back when I only played the odd cash game in my late teens/early 20s at Crown, I varied my play around NIT/TAG, waited it out and made sure to get it in good once the big hands came. Playing turbos at least allows me to play regularly, local and cheaply, I was averaging a cash around 10% of the time and a FT around 30-40% in 2019-20.

Imo the old winning players cliche is a very cash game oriented thing. But it's a totally different ball game too compared to turbos, stack preservation is important in turbos if you're not chipping up because of the raising blinds every 12-15 minutes. At a cash game at a casino/licensed venue, sit and wait til you get that premium, $1-2/2-4/3-5/5-10 and you're buying in for a couple hundred normally you can handle a good hour or two of trash you have the unlimited time factor as long as players want to play. The luck factor imo is greater at turbos compared to cash games. Bingo poker is also unavoidable at turbos depending on stack size/blinds etc.

There is a lot in your postings about 'did/didn't feel it, hand xx never wins, would've missed the flop anyway'. Need to cut that sh*t out. The cards don't give SFA about your feelings, all that matters is making the best decision in every situation and the rest will take care of itself in the long run.

You should also be reviewing your hands to check your decisions and what you could've done better, not to see how bad the odds on suckouts were.
I review hands and table behaviour all the time, I take notice of who's the fish, who is the LAG/donkey etc, or who's running good.

Probably made only 2 postflop mistakes since I came back, AJ vs QT slow play a week and a half ago that I posted about, then last night got bluffed off a small pot on the river early on, 4 liner and flush draw out there, I had pocket 5s, all over cards aside from a 3 which the BB had, didn't bother me in the slightest, though technically it was a mistake as I was bluffed and she showed the 3.

Should I be playing more trash or more marginal hands? I don't think I should be. Should I go into LAG territory? Nope, very hard to master, only ever tried it heads up and I don't get that opportunity that often. TAG normally works best for me. Perhaps my preflop game can improve, wait and see.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ran much better tonight, chipped up nicely the first hour, got some premiums on the button/in the blinds which I took advantage of, got moved tables after the break then ran pretty card dead just waiting for the right situation.

Lost 2 pivotal hands in short succession (called a short stack jam and was ahead preflop with ace high but got outdrawn, then the other I was a bit cold decked but got away from it at least on the river when my combo draws bricked out with KT up against AK on a AKQ board, guy showed when I mucked at least). Jammed my last 40k with pocket 5s (4-8kbbs), got it in ahead but the one caller flopped broadway and that was that. Out just before FT.

Definitely walked out of the joint far happier though knowing I wouldn't have done anything else, was ahead preflop in both my all in flips, they hold on another night.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Sometimes you take what you get - all the derision included

Home game so fairly loose with some calls but once blinds start getting squeaky ie 1/2k the calls start falling into some form of range.

In this hand we already have some very low stacks - I look down at 94:clubs:

Blinds 500/1k I am UTG in an 8 handed game with around 120k. I limp and we have 6 more callers ( yep that type of game) until BB raises it to 5k. Now the last few games me and this player have gone back and forth as I have found he can get rattled if you snap call or raise him. This time I snapped called him - until I realised dealer button had a real short stack - and I figured I had blown 5k as he would shove his 42k

He only calls the raise and we go to a pot with 6 callers

Flop is 7:diamonds: 94:spades:

SB checks and BB goes all in for 28k , I think ahead and see 2 more short stacks still in so I decide to just call the 28k and see what happens

Player behind dealer button shoves for 52k , Button shoves and I call the last 24k

BB shows QQ , I show my 2 pair , BTB shows AT:spades: and Button shows 56o -

Turn is a 5:hearts:

Everybody is still live and I need to dodge about 42 outs to win

The River is a T:clubs: and I scoop the pot and the abuse of a few players

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sometimes you take what you get - all the derision included

Home game so fairly loose with some calls but once blinds start getting squeaky ie 1/2k the calls start falling into some form of range.

In this hand we already have some very low stacks - I look down at 94:clubs:

Blinds 500/1k I am UTG in an 8 handed game with around 120k. I limp and we have 6 more callers ( yep that type of game) until BB raises it to 5k. Now the last few games me and this player have gone back and forth as I have found he can get rattled if you snap call or raise him. This time I snapped called him - until I realised dealer button had a real short stack - and I figured I had blown 5k as he would shove his 42k

He only calls the raise and we go to a pot with 6 callers

Flop is 7:diamonds: 94:spades:

SB checks and BB goes all in for 28k , I think ahead and see 2 more short stacks still in so I decide to just call the 28k and see what happens

Player behind dealer button shoves for 52k , Button shoves and I call the last 24k

BB shows QQ , I show my 2 pair , BTB shows AT:spades: and Button shows 56o -

Turn is a 5:hearts:

Everybody is still live and I need to dodge about 42 outs to win

The River is a T:clubs: and I scoop the pot and the abuse of a few players
What were the stakes?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bragging rights and $125/60/40
$25 each I assume?

I started out playing a few $5 games with my footy mates back when I was 18 but we'd play/drink as predrinks then go out afterwards, naturally I won a few, so shouted a round or 2 (back when pots of beer were no more than $3)

Back